Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also that line he has about capital taking off its mask is probably the single most chilling thing I have encountered in any work of fiction, precisely because he's not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Dolores Dei was just continuing the progress of history. It was Sola’s cowardice that condemned the world to death.

The Deserter was not wrong when he said, “The material base for an uprising has eroded, the working class has betrayed mankind and themselves.”

Defeatism. Against the wall, please.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Idk if it’s thread speculation or real lore, but Dolores Dei and the other innocences accelerating the gloaming by reaching into the Pale and Sola refusing to lift a finger so she didn’t contribute to that means she’s actually the greatest innocence

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

i am a moron posted:

Idk if it’s thread speculation or real lore, but Dolores Dei and the other innocences accelerating the gloaming by reaching into the Pale and Sola refusing to lift a finger so she didn’t contribute to that means she’s actually the greatest innocence

It’s the same terror in the face of History that the working class displayed in the 20th century of our own world, when they held capital by the throat and blinked.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Contrary to popular belief, capital and the metaphysical fabric of reality are not actually the same thing.

TheMaskedReader
Aug 14, 2022
The Innocences are Great Men, to accept their 'rightful progression of history' is to deny the accomplishments of all who worked under them. Did Dolores Dei single-handedly conduct her grand campaigns, concoct her grand strategems, lead every nation under her banner? No. She was a representative of a movement, a historical figure - An influential thinker and leader, to be sure, but not the sole arbiter of history. The working class does not require "Innocences" to lead them in communist revolution - To think such is to accept the liberal capitalist paradigm of history, rather than a perspective based on historical materialism.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

TheMaskedReader posted:

The Innocences are Great Men, to accept their 'rightful progression of history' is to deny the accomplishments of all who worked under them. Did Dolores Dei single-handedly conduct her grand campaigns, concoct her grand strategems, lead every nation under her banner? No. She was a representative of a movement, a historical figure - An influential thinker and leader, to be sure, but not the sole arbiter of history. The working class does not require "Innocences" to lead them in communist revolution - To think such is to accept the liberal capitalist paradigm of history, rather than a perspective based on historical materialism.

So you're a bartender?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm suddenly reminded of why I avoided Disco Elysium like the plague for a longass time.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

TheMaskedReader posted:

To think such is to accept the liberal capitalist paradigm of history, rather than a perspective based on historical materialism.

Nah cause that implies there are only two options. A negation of a negation is a multitude not the original thesis.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Innocences are not great persons of history, but rather literal interpretations of Napoleon at Jena by Hegel - embodiments of the world-spirit of Elysium and its historical possibilities, filtered by the person who happens to be an innocence.

The thing to remember here is that an Innocence is still someone who is found and chosen by the holy party (the moralintern’s predecessor). Just because there’s Pale and all the weird, grander stuff doesn’t mean historical materialism is out the window. Dolores Dei wouldn’t be Dolores Dei if she was a plebeian woman somewhere in the periphery of Mundi; she had to be an aristocrat first.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
If you have 10 or more electrochemistry and are high on 4 different types of drugs at once you should get a hidden innocence quest imo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You should become a new cocaine skull--or better, a whole cocaine skeleton

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Picking this game up again after putting it down about a year ago. The first time through I realized I'd stumbled most of the way through the main case by the end of Day 2 because I was trying to rush. Games with any sort of timer seriously mess with my head. Trying to take it slow this time around.

Kim Kitsuragi is the best-written party member in any RPG ever. That is all.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Skippy McPants posted:

Picking this game up again after putting it down about a year ago. The first time through I realized I'd stumbled most of the way through the main case by the end of Day 2 because I was trying to rush. Games with any sort of timer seriously mess with my head. Trying to take it slow this time around.

Kim Kitsuragi is the best-written party member in any RPG ever. That is all.

It might be for all games ever, not just RPGs. I wish I knew Kim when I was an eight year old, so I could use him as a child role model and grow up to be like him

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's fair. I can imagine Kim in games like God of War, Assassin's Creed, or Farcry and it'd be a significant improvement.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
He’s responsible without being a buzzkill. The impossible npc

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Innocences are not great persons of history, but rather literal interpretations of Napoleon at Jena by Hegel - embodiments of the world-spirit of Elysium and its historical possibilities, filtered by the person who happens to be an innocence.

The thing to remember here is that an Innocence is still someone who is found and chosen by the holy party (the moralintern’s predecessor). Just because there’s Pale and all the weird, grander stuff doesn’t mean historical materialism is out the window. Dolores Dei wouldn’t be Dolores Dei if she was a plebeian woman somewhere in the periphery of Mundi; she had to be an aristocrat first.

Right, which she became because she married an influential aristocrat. The game doesn't say if she was one herself or born from more humble beginnings, but if she was some sort of precog mutant then her using a rich dude to get into an influential position to leverage into becoming Jesus doesn't seem too far fetched

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

christmas boots posted:

He’s responsible without being a buzzkill. The impossible npc

More than that, he's responsible but doesn't want to be the killjoy, in spite of his claims. He invites the player to be whacky. For all his practiced dependability, some part of his nebbish repressed core wants to cut loose.

He's a wonderful straight man because, deep down, you can tell he wants Harry to take him on adventures and be his manic pixie dream girl. That makes him the perfect foil for the player character in an RPG.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also that line he has about capital taking off its mask is probably the single most chilling thing I have encountered in any work of fiction, precisely because he's not wrong.

I mean, especially when COVID happened and capitalism went "gently caress public health get back to work NOW"

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Would you gently caress Kim K. Yes/No?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

KORNOLOGY posted:

Would you gently caress Kim K. Yes/No?

I would respect Kim's desire for a professional relationship.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Harry can't just abandon Jean and shack up with the new boy. That's a sure way to lead to Our Flag Means Death-style shenanigans.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Don't gently caress the police.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Inland Empire is way ahead of you

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
So after a bazillion years I finally realized Dolores is Spanish for pain but also a play on words that means money.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I don’t clock the money pun, can you elaborate? to me the etymology of her name was always dolores dei as latin for sorrows of god, but also the blonde american singer and actress doris day, of “pillow talk”, “my dreams are getting better all the time”, and “que sera, sera (whatever will be, will be)” renown

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

dolares is dollars

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ok I didn't get any of that, wow

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

KORNOLOGY posted:

So after a bazillion years I finally realized Dolores is Spanish for pain but also a play on words that means money.

Dolores Dei would be more like the “sorrows of God”. It was a rather popular Iberian catholic name

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Dolores Dei would be more like the “sorrows of God”. It was a rather popular Iberian catholic name

Everyday you learn something

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Haha no chance

KORNOLOGY fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 12, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Glad to see there's still men of principle in these times of eroding values.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I basically played the whole game on the weekend and:
1. Wow
2. Does anyone have more current information than the Wikipedia article regarding the legal issues/ english translation of novel/ TV series?
3. I am a bit disappointed about just how easy it is to lose the game right at the beginning and also how you can spend hours researching a Thought only to find out you don't want it and having to wait until the next skill point to rid yourself of it.
4. Also not a huge fan of playing dressup for skill bonuses.
5. Did I say wow?

E: and humorously- flirting with a gay man unintentionally and only realising I did later because I actually am that obtuse :sweatdrop:

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 12, 2023

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
So I was thinking, what about a DLC from Kits prospective?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Lt. Kitsuragi's daily log: "Today he insisted on stripping down to his socks and underpants and talking to everyone in an exaggerated Swedish accent. It got results, somehow."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

KORNOLOGY posted:

So I was thinking, what about a DLC from Kits prospective?

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Is Harrier going to be my work husband? I just need to let him flow....

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

God, this game is so good. It's the second time I've seen it now but the moment when Volition drops a dime on your other thoughts during the Klaasje interview, and also when you first find the bullet. gently caress.

This is about where I stopped last time I so hope there are more of these moments, these... dialogue set pieces. That's the only way I can describe them, and they hit harder than a multi-million-dollar VFX spectacle.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 13, 2023

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

and also when you find first the bullet. gently caress.

Fuckin' *CAVITY*, C!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lore Question: it's established that travel between isola requires passing through the pale, which is exceedingly difficult, and accomplished via aerostatic. So how does the Coalition move fleets of warships from one isola to another?