Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

WarpedLichen posted:

Has Lend Lease been invoked even once so far?
Yes: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine_Democracy_Defense_Lend-Lease_Act_of_2022

quote:

The Ukraine Democracy Defense Lend-Lease Act of 2022 is an act of the United States Congress that facilitates the supply of materiel to the Ukrainian government in a manner similar to the World War II Lend-Lease Act in response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Edit: ah, I think I misunderstood the “invoked” in your question. Got it.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It might have changed, but as of December 2022, while the lend-lease act passed into law, Ukraine had not utilized it at all, due to a desire not to be on the hook for paying for the equipment that could come from lend-lease.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

mlmp08 posted:

It might have changed, but as of December 2022, while the lend-lease act passed into law, Ukraine had not utilized it at all, due to a desire not to be on the hook for paying for the equipment that could come from lend-lease.

Why borrow war material at 90% markdown price, when you can just ask and get it for free anyways? Lend-lease is a kind of insurance policy against trump republicans controlling super-majorities in congress and refusing to approve financial packages for Ukraine.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Ynglaur posted:

I forget whom, but one of the analysts pointed out that 80 F-16s would cost about the same amount as all of the aid the US provided through early winter. So if you're asking Ukraine, "Would you rather have HIMARS, M777s, 105mm ammo, 155mm ammo, 152mm ammo we bought ~somewhere~, Stingers, Javelins, armored cars, body armor, rifles, machineguns, grenades, automatic grenade launchers, mortars, drones, loitering munitions....or would you rather than 80 F-16s?", the answer is pretty obvious.

I can't tell what you mean either way. Both seem deeply appealing although if 80 F16s meant air superiority I would definitely be interested in what that looked like for Ukraine. I think it would shift the current and infrequently if successful attempts to disrupt ammo and troop supply chain and re-up into constant disruption and chaos and potentially end the war. If that's what you're implying - but maybe it's naive to think 80 F16s would establish air superiority, and you mean all the other stuff has been way more helpful. Curious to hear your thoughts.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Icon Of Sin posted:

Regular NVGs aren’t thermal/IR. They’re usually just image intensifiers, they brighten up what you could already see but don’t necessarily let you see in a different part of the spectrum.

These days I'm pretty sure most US infantry and scout platoons are using PSQ-20s, which use either night vision or thermals, or both at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eWpjUOLR0w

These ENVG-Bs are even better, my old brigade was training with them a couple years ago. Wonder how many have been fielded now.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I think most of the stuff Ukrainian troops use is donated by the public civilian models....

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Huggybear posted:

I can't tell what you mean either way. Both seem deeply appealing although if 80 F16s meant air superiority I would definitely be interested in what that looked like for Ukraine. I think it would shift the current and infrequently if successful attempts to disrupt ammo and troop supply chain and re-up into constant disruption and chaos and potentially end the war. If that's what you're implying - but maybe it's naive to think 80 F16s would establish air superiority, and you mean all the other stuff has been way more helpful. Curious to hear your thoughts.

I'm not convinced even if you could get Ukraine 80 F-16s, train them and get the maintenance/parts/missiles/bombs in quantity in a timely matter that it would result in them having air superiority. 80 F-16s is still a small fraction of Russia's air force and then you have to contend with all the air defense system Russia also has. Seems all the political/financial will to get that done is better spent elsewhere. Maybe a smaller package of modern fighters would be helpful in a more limited role though.

Which I believe is what Ynglaur meant, that Ukraine would much rather have all that other stuff than the 80 F-16s.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mustang posted:

These days I'm pretty sure most US infantry and scout platoons are using PSQ-20s, which use either night vision or thermals, or both at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eWpjUOLR0w

These ENVG-Bs are even better, my old brigade was training with them a couple years ago. Wonder how many have been fielded now.

The gently caress kind of witchcraft is that :stare:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

NTRabbit posted:

Looks like a 90s music video.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

It's like the edge detection filter in photoshop, very simple and yet highly effective as you can see.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1634349790401118210

Bakhmut is pretty depressing these days. I'm much more of the opinion that this is heading towards a disaster for the Ukrainians.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

spankmeister posted:

It's like the edge detection filter in photoshop, very simple and yet highly effective as you can see.

Yep, it seems to be "just" a combination of proper night vision and edge detection:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night-vision_device#Fusion_night_vision
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canny_edge_detector

The latter link is a standard edge detection algorithm invented in 1986; no state of the art AI required. So the tech seems to be a clever combination of existing technologies, plus miniaturisation so that the computing power plus battery can fit on a helmet

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/can-ukraine-ever-win-over-crimea-and-the-donbas/

A good article about the elephant in the room when it comes to the expectation that Ukraine will fully reclaim its 1991 borders - Ukraine doesn’t have any strategy for reintegrating its citizens. It doesn't even seem to be considering how to practicably achieve this. And the collaboration laws that were applied in Kherson paint a rather grim picture about amnesty and reconciliation.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/can-ukraine-ever-win-over-crimea-and-the-donbas/

A good article about the elephant in the room when it comes to the expectation that Ukraine will fully reclaim its 1991 borders - Ukraine doesn’t have any strategy for reintegrating its citizens. It doesn't even seem to be considering how to practicably achieve this. And the collaboration laws that were applied in Kherson paint a rather grim picture about amnesty and reconciliation.

quote:

But it’s a different story when it comes to the areas that seceded in 2014.

Lost me right, exactly here. They didn't secede they were annexed. gently caress anyone equivocating about this with bullshit about referendums and little green men innocently appearing. The terrain was militarily annexed with a bullshit veneer of "Well they wanted it (because we bribed or murdered anyone who said no.)"

Yeah integration is going to be a problem. The only people that haven't had car batteries tied to their dicks and murdered or shipped to gulags are the people willing to at least say they are loyal to Russia and the area is a god drat war zone because of the imperialist poo poo head sitting in Moscow that would gleefully watch the world burn if he doesn't get to control it. It still needs to happen. It will be hard, no argument there. It still needs to happen. Yeah it will be difficult to work on rebuilding and supporting the areas to work towards integration. Kick the murderous butchers and invaders the gently caress out first, then work on that problem.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Ukraine's plan just needs to be better than "turn them into unrecognized criminal enclaves run by a small band of the dregs of humanity so that it looks pretty on a map". That's Russia's plan for integration. That's what they've done in Transnistria, South Ossetia, Abkhazia. And it's what they've had for the last decade in the Donbass.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Certainly never clicking on that because it would be wrong

I made the choice to never pay for a newspaper or article since following the Milly Dowler case. :colbert:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 11, 2023

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Morrow posted:

Ukraine's plan just needs to be better than "turn them into unrecognized criminal enclaves run by a small band of the dregs of humanity so that it looks pretty on a map". That's Russia's plan for integration. That's what they've done in Transnistria, South Ossetia, Abkhazia. And it's what they've had for the last decade in the Donbass.

Ukraine's plan doesn't need to just be good enough for Western supporters to shrug and sign off on it, it needs to be good enough, and publicized enough, so that the LDNR population, and their forcibly-recruited mobiks, have a clear and preferable alternative to just throwing in their lot with Russia and hoping for the best, because their only alternative is getting purged by Banderovite Nazis. Without a plan, you can't do counter-propaganda.

The absence of a credible plan also signifies they'd in fact be willing to sacrifice territorial integrity in an eventual peace negotiation, so there's that too.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
A successful reintegration and rehabilitation process will imo have to include dialogue with the residents of the region themselves, and this can't be done as long as Russian forces control the area.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nenonen posted:

A successful reintegration and rehabilitation process will imo have to include dialogue with the residents of the region themselves, and this can't be done as long as Russian forces control the area.

By the time this war is resolved there either won't be any Russian residents of those regions, or there won't be any Ukrainian residents, or there won't be any residents period.

The Russians are going to forcibly re-migrate or kill anyone who wants Ukrainian leadership; Anyone who wants Russian leadership will (at best) leave on their own; but the most likely outcome is that every spare square inch starts looking like Bakhmut or Mariupol.

Whatever post-war plan is developed is going to involve quite literally rebuilding and repopulating those regions.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Anyone who wants Russian leadership will (at best) leave on their own; but the most likely outcome is that every spare square inch starts looking like Bakhmut or Mariupol.

Leave to where? During the big Ukrainian counteroffensive all the people who tried to use their new "Russian" passports to flee to Russia were stopped at the border.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Not sure what any of that conversation has to do with the current affairs of the war, when it's been a few kilometres of positional movement over like a 9-month period in Donetsk oblast'.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Griefor posted:

Leave to where? During the big Ukrainian counteroffensive all the people who tried to use their new "Russian" passports to flee to Russia were stopped at the border.

Not really many good options, are there?

Anyway let's game that out. Ukraine recaptures Donetsk. The only people left in it are the ones the Russians didn't kill. How do you hold a fair referendum there? What of the deported and the dead?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Not sure what any of that conversation has to do with the current affairs of the war, when it's been a few kilometres of positional movement over like a 9-month period in Donetsk oblast'.

fair point, yeah.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'm incredibly not worried about how Ukraine is gonna reintegrate Crimea. I'm gonna already be relieved if there's enough ammo and political will to get Russia to agree on a peace along roughly the de facto lines of control as of today, give or take.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Talking about pushing past 2014 lines is rather premature. Maybe see if Ukraine can cross the river at Kherson or push towards Mariupol’ before imagining them storm the naval base at Sevastopol.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Anyway let's game that out. Ukraine recaptures Donetsk. The only people left in it are the ones the Russians didn't kill. How do you hold a fair referendum there? What of the deported and the dead?

Why would you hold a referendum? For what purpose? Those areas are Ukraine

Content: yesterday Finnish prime minister Marin was visiting Kyiv and said that Finland could/might consider giving some of our F-18 Hornets to Ukraine (maybe one day, as we're replacing them with F-35s in a couple years). However now pretty much every other politician in Finland is saying wait, what the heck, you can't just randomly say that, we haven't discussed anything like that with anyone (would have to ask USA for permission to re-export the jets, might want to coordinate with them re parts and maintenance as well). Article (in Finnish)

Anyway it seems Marin was simply replying to a reporter who directly asked about F-18s for Ukraine, rather than Marin herself bringing it up, so perhaps the whole thing is not that meaningful. I'm kinda hoping it will prod the international discussion forwards a bit though

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
E: nm misread a post

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Just Another Lurker posted:

I made the choice to never pay for a newspaper or article since following the Milly Dowler case. :colbert:

I used to work with her dad, when the news broke that journalists had hacked her voicemail, we had a shitload more journalists calling the office trying to get in contact with him for comment. The official company line was basically to tell them to get hosed. Absolute snakes.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Just Another Lurker posted:

I had not heard of this and so did the basic Wikipedia reading and holy poo poo. :stare: Also Rupert Murdoch is a ghoul who had done more damage to Western democracy than the USSR, Iran, or North Korea and he cannot die soon enough. I hope his media empire goes down in flames as his children fight amongst themselves.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Kissinger and Murdoch are strong arguments against the existence of any sort of karma.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ahdinko posted:

I used to work with her dad, when the news broke that journalists had hacked her voicemail, we had a shitload more journalists calling the office trying to get in contact with him for comment. The official company line was basically to tell them to get hosed. Absolute snakes.

Vile things were done, i think Brown Moses did the thread on it back in the day... can't believe that's ten or more years ago.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Swedish journal Kvartal has an article (in Swedish) written by a doctor of medicine Erik W. Larsson who analyses the videos and consequent speculations about his health. I know the subject interests many, as there has been talk about how many years Vova has left in his calendar.

He rules out some aggressive forms of cancer like pancreatic cancer because he'd be dead by now. Cortison treatment could explain why his face was so swollen a year back and it can also cause paranoid and irrational behaviour, but cortison is also used for other diseases so that doesn't narrow it down. Parkinsons is also a possibility brought up before, but Larsson points out that people with Parkinsons can still stay functional for decades, and mentions Michael J. Fox as an example.

https://kvartal.se/artiklar/hur-mar-patient-putin/

quote:

Once again, I must make it clear that I have never had Mr Putin as a patient and therefore cannot possibly diagnose the President. However, given the enormous amount of thought that has been given to Mr Putin's health, it is striking that no one has thought about his prostate. Four out of five men of Putin's age have an enlarged prostate, which in many cases exerts pressure on their urethra. This can result in bladder problems and recurrent and sudden urination. Putin's tendency to look uncomfortable, shuffle his feet and cancel meetings could be the result of a good old-fashioned need to pee. It is at least more likely than cancer or Parkinson's disease.

I'm thinking about Putin's prostate right now and so should y'all. :colbert:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Putin is old and probably has several pages worth of health problems but that won't kill him

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Not really many good options, are there?

You make a deal with Russia (or in extremis a third party who needs a labor force) for population transfers. The solution here is boxcars, not ballot boxes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

slurm posted:

You make a deal with Russia (or in extremis a third party who needs a labor force) for population transfers. The solution here is boxcars, not ballot boxes.

Uhhhh, please do not advocate "population transfer in boxcars". Very bad connotations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rust Martialis posted:

Uhhhh, please do not advocate "population transfer in boxcars". Very bad connotations.

The "a third party in need of a labor force" is not even connotations, just straight up mass slavery/genocide/ethnic cleansing. :thumbsup:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Move on.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
More German Nord Stream news:

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/nord-stream-explosionen-sabotage-ermittlungen-ukraine-1.5767316?reduced=true

quote:

Shortly after the attack on the pipelines, information was said to have circulated among Scandinavian intelligence agencies that the sabotage may not have been the work of any intelligence agency - but a private operation carried out by ex-military personnel, commissioned and financed by a Ukrainian oligarch. A name also made the rounds early on. It is a very prominent businessman who used to be active in politics. The Nord Stream attacks took place on September 26 - his birthday.

wikipedia posted:

Petro Oleksiyovych Poroshenko is a Ukrainian businessman and politician who served as the fifth president of Ukraine from 2014 to 2019. Poroshenko served as the Minister of Foreign Affairs from 2009 to 2010, and as the Minister of Trade and Economic Development in 2012.
Born: September 26, 1965 (age 57 years), Bolhrad, Ukraine

This whole story is so hilarious. Instead of Putin's wheels within wheels fifth-dimensional chess masterplan, it's now Poroshenko going full Leroy Jenkins for reelection cred. I won't even be mad if it turns out to be true.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/nord-stream-explosionen-sabotage-ermittlungen-ukraine-1.5767316?reduced=true

This whole story is so hilarious. Instead of Putin's wheels within wheels fifth-dimensional chess masterplan, it's now Poroshenko going full Leroy Jenkins for reelection cred. I won't even be mad if it turns out to be true.
I kind of doubt it, blowing up the pipeline as a birthday present to yourself is some bad movie villain poo poo. But if it's really true that's frankly amazing :allears:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hannibal Rex posted:

If it turns out to be true, I hope he enjoys being wanted basically everywhere, since in the end of the day this was a terror act against a major piece of EU infrastructure. Funnily enough, if there will be enough to indict him in an EU member state court over this, Ukraine is going to have to do achieve UK/Denmark levels of accession bullshit to be allowed to join before they extradite them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Hannibal Rex posted:

If he did this for reelection cred, isn't he going to have to claim responsibility for it sooner or later? It's not like voters can know or care about black ops secret squirrel poo poo you get up to unless you advertise it to the world.

It seems like if it WAS him (and that's kind of a solid "Eh, maybe" I think) it's more likely that the motivation was misguided patriotism rather than hopes for reelection.