Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Look she did her training by doing some day hikes in the Rockies in Ontario and photoshopping herself into everest photos for her GoFundMe, what more do you want?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtamo
Oct 7, 2012

Doc Fission posted:

I'm too lazy to check if I asked this already, but are there any fundamental Everest books or documentaries y'all would recommend? I'm buying Into Thin Air, but what else?

I'm quite bad at serialized television so books or movies are preferable. Thanks!

Don't know if I'd call these fundamental, but a few book recommendations:

• Into the Silence by Wade Davis - about Mallory and Everest, it's a really fascinating if a bit heavy book about how WW1 shaped early 8k mountaineering and mountaineers. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but my personal favourite.
  • The Mountain by Ed Viesturs - a good "all-around" book about Everest.
  • The Crystal Horizon by Reinhold Messner - about Messner's 1980 oxygenless solo summit. Not the greatest writing, but it's so absurdly different to today's Everest that it's wild. He's basically alone on the mountain (if you don't count the hallucinations :catdrugs:).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

quote:

Pilots make history by paragliding to K2 mountain

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...74snKaDbnYArCk5

:rock:

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

orange juche posted:

Lmao I remember the 2nd one think there was a widely circulated pic of her body under the Canadian flag

rip

the first everest thread I mean

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I climbed everest again yesterday it's getting kinda boring now I wish there was something more exciting

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

I climbed everest again yesterday it's getting kinda boring now I wish there was something more exciting

K2 is thataway

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

Climb mauna kea

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Nooner posted:

It's not about what you do, it's about how you do it.

You can freebase heroin on ascent to earn the 'Higher and higher' achievement.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Nooner posted:

Go climb the mons pubis for a real exciting time.

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

Nooner posted:

But did you see any Pallas Cats while you were up there?

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Nooner posted:

Have you tried setting some free diving records? It’s like Everest but in reverse

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Nooner posted:

That's because the real party was on Kilimanjaro. Did no one tell you?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Captain Toasted posted:

Have you tried setting some free diving records? It’s like Everest but in reverse

Less oxygen, too. Makes it more hardcore.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Phish lot balloon guy is there but very clear-headed from huffing pure oxygen.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Comrade Koba posted:

Everest (the 2015 one) is worth a look, it's basically Into Thin Air: The Movie.

I found this movie very confusing because everyone looked alike in their snowsuits and goggles. A real failure by the costume department.

The BEST climbing movie/doc is Touching the Void, but that's not about Everest.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

godamightly this is a good thread title

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I know that this thread is keen on TV show Alone (it's how I discovered it)
Well a new show on Netflix looks like a sort of "enforced team" version. It appears to be made by the same company.
Just started watching, but it looks promising
2.5 bears per square mile, lol

Haha, yeah I'm only half an hour in and it's a lot of fun watching self declared A-type, no nonsense, straight talking winners, bickering and arguing like children

-edit -
Oops, it's called Outlast

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 10, 2023

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

I feel like this thread is on life support. Please don't die thread, I love you too much (and isn't the spring 2023 climbing season just around the corner?).

Here, have a documentary, unique in that the climbers take the approach from the North Col: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZR-QSEYzgA

(dunno if this is technically life support or methadone or what...)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Adolf Glitter posted:

I know that this thread is keen on TV show Alone (it's how I discovered it)
Well a new show on Netflix looks like a sort of "enforced team" version. It appears to be made by the same company.
Just started watching, but it looks promising
2.5 bears per square mile, lol

Haha, yeah I'm only half an hour in and it's a lot of fun watching self declared A-type, no nonsense, straight talking winners, bickering and arguing like children

What's the name?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Sirotan posted:

What's the name?

Oh poo poo, sorry lol.

OUTLAST

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Don't despair thread, April is a few weeks away and the world's A type go getters are gearing up for a quick jaunt up the mountain.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Do we have names for these go getters? I'll start the wiki betting pool tumblr poll voting blog thoughts and prayers circle.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

value-brand cereal posted:

Do we have names for these go getters? I'll start the wiki betting pool tumblr poll voting blog thoughts and prayers circle.

Thoughts and Prayers circle: one day we'll be triple black diamond.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Oxygen thieves

Put my ghoulish 2023 prediction down for 7 rich fools and 0 Sherpas.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Outrail posted:

Oxygen thieves

Put my ghoulish 2023 prediction down for 7 rich fools and 0 Sherpas.

please dont do this. it got the thread kicked out of gbs last time

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Captain Toasted posted:

An old boss of mine lost two successive wealthy husbands to free diving. The FBI investigated looked pretty hard at her but in the end the dudes were clearly into the risk.:shrug:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

An old boss of mine lost two successive wealthy husbands to free diving. The FBI investigated looked pretty hard at her but in the end the dudes were clearly into the risk.:shrug:

That's terribly sad and I hope she received all the support she could during those difficult times. I'm surprised the fbi got involved. I'd thought the Sea Patrol dealt with ocean based crimes. [that's also kind of hilarious in a 'you'd only see this in sherlock holmes knock off books'. TWO?! Jeez.]

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Got me curious so I looked it up and the current world record for deepest dive without oxygen is more than 700 feet. How the gently caress is that possible? What is the pressure and temperature like down there? I get cold diving 20 feet down in the lake at my cottage.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Listen. Seven vaginas. Maybe more. Is that not compelling enough to dive all the way down for some mermussy?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Pressure doesn't matter as long as you can equalise your ears and yeah it'll be cold but that record was probably with some kind of wetsuit. Freediving has much less chance of getting the bends too because you're not actually down there for long enough.

Holding your breath for that long though is still absolutely insane.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

How did she end up with two guys who were both into it? Was she a diver too or was it total coincidence?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Aphex- posted:

Pressure doesn't matter as long as you can equalise your ears and yeah it'll be cold but that record was probably with some kind of wetsuit. Freediving has much less chance of getting the bends too because you're not actually down there for long enough.

I don't think it's about being down long enough, you just can't bring enough nitrogen on one breath to give yourself the bends. Apparently people who do repeated free dives can get the bends, because they keep adding more nitrogen to their lungs, but I don't think one dive is enough to get the bends.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Listen. Seven vaginas. Maybe more. Is that not compelling enough to dive all the way down for some mermussy?

But I only have one dick.

Edit - oh poo poo I forgot I got at least 6 more dicks on my hands!!!

See you fuckers at the bottom

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Aphex- posted:

The dude who set the Guinness record on No-limits free diving gave himself the bends on ascent. He went down to 700+ feet and then passed out from nitrogen narcosis on the way up and wasn't able to monitor his ascent. He woke up before he broke the surface and thought he was fine but about 10 mins after the dive while he was at shallow depths on oxygen he started getting severe effects from his rapid ascent and had to be airlifted to a decompression chamber. He wound up having multiple strokes and bad brain damage from the nitrogen coming out of solution in his blood.

No limits free diving is where you are allowed to use assistance to dive, so a weighted sled to descend and a balloon to ascend, making the dive and ascent much faster than could be managed without aid.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 11, 2023

Vakal
May 11, 2008

orange juche posted:

No limits free diving is where you are allowed to use assistance to dive, so a weighted sled to descend and a balloon to ascend, making the dive and ascent much faster than could be managed without aid.

One has to wonder of all the activities available to do on this planet, a person finds out that this exists and shouts "That's for me!"

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

How bad a brain damage are we talking like does the guy think it was worth it or does he regret it

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

How bad a brain damage are we talking like does the guy think it was worth it or does he regret it

quote:

Following extensive training using an innovative torpedo-type sled design of very high descend and ascend speed, on 6 June Nitsch managed to reach a depth of 253.2 meters (831 ft), a Guinness World Record, but ten minutes after the dive he began experiencing serious symptoms of decompression sickness. Nitsch temporarily fell asleep due to nitrogen narcosis during the last part of the ascent (as opposed to through oxygen starvation), and woke up prior to reaching the surface. Following a planned post-dive decompression, breathing medical oxygen at a shallow depth, he signaled to his support team that he felt much weaker than normal and his condition was assessed as critical enough to require an air transfer to a pre-alerted decompression chamber in Athens, where he received treatment. He incurred multiple brain strokes due to severe decompression sickness. He subsequently received extensive decompression treatment in Germany.

The initial prognosis was that he would need home care and be unable to walk without assistance. However, through extensive rehabilitation, he made a strong recovery. He still has balance and coordination problems on land, but does not experience them underwater. He continues to deep free-dive.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Vakal posted:

One has to wonder of all the activities available to do on this planet, a person finds out that this exists and shouts "That's for me!"

the real hosed up dudes do underwater cave diving. bugger that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The really hosed up dudes do unplanned night cave dives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

That's not brain damage, that fucker got cursed to stay in the sea or else.