Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Thanks for the optimism. :-) I took a quick dive into the Gnome source before needing to head back to work... seems like maybe gnome-control-center is the relevant bit. In panels/display/cc-display-config-dbus.c it looks like it just sets logical_monitor->scale to the scale value. Then later in the config_apply function, the logical_monitor fields are used to construct a call to g_dbus_proxy_call_sync to do "ApplyMonitorsConfig". Can't chase that any further right now. Maybe I'll need to end up using gdbus invocations in my scripts, or something.

Edit: Ha ho, did a bit of google-fu on some of those terms and found this thread: https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/change-scaling-resolution-of-primary-monitor-from-bash-terminal/76778/25

The "updated script" in the almost-last post there toggles the primary monitor between 1 and 2 scale. I can use that after the xrandr stuff, or more nicely maybe figure out a way to shove all my changes in there and skip xrandr altogether.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

JLaw posted:

Thanks for the optimism. :-) I took a quick dive into the Gnome source before needing to head back to work... seems like maybe gnome-control-center is the relevant bit. In panels/display/cc-display-config-dbus.c it looks like it just sets logical_monitor->scale to the scale value. Then later in the config_apply function, the logical_monitor fields are used to construct a call to g_dbus_proxy_call_sync to do "ApplyMonitorsConfig". Can't chase that any further right now. Maybe I'll need to end up using gdbus invocations in my scripts, or something.

ugh, yeah, of course. Something else is listening on dbus for an ApplyMonitorsConfig call.

I'm sure there's something that lets you inspect dbus to see who that is. Have a nice time wading into this swamp!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is there a way to overwrite ACLs when copying files to certain folders?

https://serverfault.com/questions/183800/why-does-cp-not-respect-acls#183813

I'm basically realizing I'm running into this periodically, I have a bunch of ACLs (including defaults) on my nfs that works fine most of the time but every once in a while blows up spectacularly and irritatingly.
  • Something something I make files / directory on desktop
  • copy them to NFS
  • wife needs to mess with files/folder, get permission denied
  • i immediately know the issue, check ACLs
  • ACLs are completely hosed
  • i have to remember and hunt however far up the NFS hier to fix all the ACLs from someone copying files across NFS mount

Seems like there should be an obvious way to just say "inherit file permissions from dest always", either on clients or server? Is that a thing that exists?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

JLaw posted:

Got a display settings question, figured I'd run it by y'all first before diving into reddit etc.

This is in Pop!_OS 22.04 w/ NVidia card/drivers.

For various reasons I want to be able to programmatically switch between a couple of display-settings arrangements, let's call them "profiles". I have a collection of xrandr commands to do that.

In one case I am setting a monitor to 144 Hz. When I do that, the visible scaling goes to 200%. I can open the settings GUI and set "Scale" back to 100%, and all is well, but obviously I want to avoid the GUI.

I don't know what is causing the "Scale" change, and I don't know how to change it back. The output of "xrandr -q --verbose" shows no difference before and after correcting the scaling through the GUI. Same for the output of "dconf dump /".

Anyone know what the "Scale" widget in the display settings GUI is affecting, in Pop!_OS or more generally Gnome?

Hm one other thing actually, "xrdb -query | grep Xft.dpi" shows 192 instead of 96 in the 200% scale case. But I don't know much about what's going on in X resource stuff. It looks like I could force it back to 96 with "xrdb -merge" but that doesn't seem to affect the current active state of things.

Is the scaling related to the hidpi daemon in the popos display settings?

does arandr remember scaling?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
You could use incron on the NFS host to trigger on file creation, running a script to change the ACLs on the new file. (I think.)

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

ziasquinn posted:

Is the scaling related to the hidpi daemon in the popos display settings?

I have forcibly stopped that daemon from running just to make sure it's not in the picture. I also uninstalled autorandr at some point since its own daemon was fiddling with things in reaction to some events.

quote:

does arandr remember scaling?

arandr and autorandr both just essentially come up with xrandr sequences to invoke. Whether using arandr scripts, autorandr profiles, or manually-composed xrandr commands, the monitor would always end up in "200% scale" if I tried to set it to 144 Hz. (This includes explicitly specifying scale 1 with xrandr.)

I have no idea what is doing that scale-setting.

However, I found the way to set the scale (back to 100%) is through the dbus ApplyMonitorsConfig method as mentioned above, so I just have a script that does that after the xrandr commands, which is good enough for me!

JLaw fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 12, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Pablo Bluth posted:

You could use incron on the NFS host to trigger on file creation, running a script to change the ACLs on the new file. (I think.)

Hmm I never heard of that before that could work from a quick search. Any ideas how it performs on large directory trees?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Mr. Crow posted:

Hmm I never heard of that before that could work from a quick search. Any ideas how it performs on large directory trees?
No idea. I've not actually used incron much in practice. One problem might be an excess of processes if you're able to copy a lot of files quickly (although a script that is just resetting permissions should clear quickly)

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/265520/set-maximum-number-of-processes-started-by-incrond

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

JLaw posted:

I have forcibly stopped that daemon from running just to make sure it's not in the picture. I also uninstalled autorandr at some point since its own daemon was fiddling with things in reaction to some events.

arandr and autorandr both just essentially come up with xrandr sequences to invoke. Whether using arandr scripts, autorandr profiles, or manually-composed xrandr commands, the monitor would always end up in "200% scale" if I tried to set it to 144 Hz. (This includes explicitly specifying scale 1 with xrandr.)

I have no idea what is doing that scale-setting.

However, I found the way to set the scale (back to 100%) is through the dbus ApplyMonitorsConfig method as mentioned above, so I just have a script that does that after the xrandr commands, which is good enough for me!

Oh great! Love a solution to a problem. So satisfying.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is the University of Minnesota still banned from contributing to the kernel? I was wondering if they ever sorted out some reconciliation. It's impossible for me to Google any updates from the initial ban on 2021.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is the University of Minnesota still banned from contributing to the kernel? I was wondering if they ever sorted out some reconciliation. It's impossible for me to Google any updates from the initial ban on 2021.

It sounds like they patched things up. I think it's pretty likely they're unbanned now but nobody did press releases or otherwise made a big deal about it, because both sides just want to put it behind them.

googling for "unm.edu" "2022" on kernel.org shows there's at least one guy who still gets included on emails, but whether that's because UNM as a whole is ok or he got special clearance I don't know

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

googling for "unm.edu" "2022" on kernel.org shows there's at least one guy who still gets included on emails, but whether that's because UNM as a whole is ok or he got special clearance I don't know

(UNM is University of New Mexico, but I couldn’t make kernel.org search work well enough to get umn.edu to return things that actually looked like they were from there so IDK.)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Some guy I was following on twitter was complaining that Linux was bad because he flashed the iso for two different distros wrong and it had grub/bootloader errors on initialization and he kept digging a hole when people were understandably a little snarky about him acting like it wasn't his fault for not googling or reading any documentation on installation. "They provided an ISO that should be good enough!"

I get the run up into utilizing it can be frustrating, the documentation can be poor, and the community itself is... kind of toxic (most of the time), but I think I am getting the reasons why more and more.

To me, if you aren't kind of infatuated with the idea of your daily computing being lowkey annoying some days and highkey frustrating on others + the idea of searching around for solutions or hacking poo poo together sometimes doesn't sound fun to you then why are these people even trying to install linux in the first place? The killer open source apps??

Is this take stupid?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

No...

I can see both sides of it, honestly. Yes, the Linux community can be toxic and insular to outsiders getting started with it. I really despise the snottiness that tech people can have and try very hard not to be 'that guy'. But on the other hand it can depend on the type of questions asked and how they're asked. I get why people might be annoyed by Linux 101 questions like, "How do I show the contents of a directory?".

It's all about the mindset you have going into Linux. Depending on the distro, you can't just expect that it's going to be like Windows where it works out of the box. "Linux is only free for those who don't value their time"; it's the kind of thing where you have to put work in to make it work for you.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Isn't wanting and/or believing that the product should only be accessible to tinkerers and hobbyists the definition of insular?

There's a difference between "Why do I have to do x instead of y like in Windows?" and "Why do I have to do x, y, and z when normies should really only have to do x?"

An example of the first type of question would be "Why can't I just download and install .exes?," an example of the second would be "Why do I need to go into the terminal and manually edit fstab instead of having an easy GUI button to permanently map network drives?"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Casey is definitely a little sharp with his posting, but I think the fact that he could create a media image that sucked without getting a warning is…an opportunity for improvement. The Windows media creation tool verifies everything I believe, so you can’t mess it up unless you intentionally manually gently caress with it after. The huge combinatorial space of Linux install media would make it harder to do something like that reliably, but that’s sort of “Linux’s problem”.

He certainly has very specific opinions about technology ergonomics informed by his gamedev context (and is generally thoughtful, even if I often disagree).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Subjunctive posted:

(UNM is University of New Mexico, but I couldn’t make kernel.org search work well enough to get umn.edu to return things that actually looked like they were from there so IDK.)

Oh, I was literally using google, with site:kernel.org as a search term

But doing that with the correct address reveals this thread that suggests that not only are they still banned, but they still have not found out enough to stop loving around

Subjunctive posted:

Casey is definitely a little sharp with his posting, but I think the fact that he could create a media image that sucked without getting a warning is…an opportunity for improvement. The Windows media creation tool verifies everything I believe, so you can’t mess it up unless you intentionally manually gently caress with it after. The huge combinatorial space of Linux install media would make it harder to do something like that reliably, but that’s sort of “Linux’s problem”.

So like what tool was he using to make the installer, because most of the "easy" distros are pointing people to balena etcher which afaik should be pretty foolproof (in that it has zero options or choices to mess up).

Subjunctive posted:

He certainly has very specific opinions about technology ergonomics informed by his gamedev context (and is generally thoughtful, even if I often disagree).

I'd figure any gamedev would be intimately familiar with the problem of people who skip all tutorials and then complain that they can't build new soldiers for their army, the thing that was demonstrated in the first 30 seconds of said tutorial.

Also with the problem of people who complain about how the first 3 hours of your game are boring tutorials, yes I already know how to dodge-cancel out of the heavy attack animation and that doing so loses i-frames, god, why are you making me do this crap? Get to the game!

You can be an idealist for humanistic design all you want, that's a great position to take. But, like, physician heal thyself. The first thing any humanist designer should be aware of is how loving hard it is.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
oh lol I found it

That there is the dreaded combination: player skips tutorial, assumes he can dodge-cancel out of combos because he played a character action game one time 5 years ago, is actually playing a souls-like where you can't interrupt attack animations, is mad and frustrated but will not under any circumstances play the stupid tutorial, leaves a negative review on steam instead.

I really don't think there are any lessons to be learned here, other than the old tiny bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

edit: though reading that twitter thread I guess the real problem is the number of people who jump in with "I dunno, try my favorite distro" instead of anything useful or germane. If I were king of linux I'd make that a crime, where the punishment is you get forced to use your least-favorite distro for a month. Distro evangelism sucks in general and sucks extra hard in response to someone having problems that are 99% chance neither caused or solved by distro.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 12, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

Oh, I was literally using google, with site:kernel.org as a search term

But doing that with the correct address reveals this thread that suggests that not only are they still banned, but they still have not found out enough to stop loving around

Amazing. :allears:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

What matters in terms of what distro you use is what works for your needs. I don't even like saying that x is a "beginner's distro" because it implies that if you have experience with Linux you should feel bad for not moving to a 'harder' distro. Just use what works for you and don't worry about it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 12, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

I would've thought they'd be using a git hook to implement a list of contributors who patches won't be accepted from, rather than relying on committers to remember who's the baddies are.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hot take: Unless you're having driver issues or something similar, you shouldn't need to distrohop a half dozen times. It's fine to be comfortable with the distro you're using. I think one of the reasons the Linux community seems insular is that some of us push the "You gotta hop distros constantly!". To outsiders who are just looking for a good OS to use, that's off-putting.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Basically this.

I've used debian for over 20 years at this point, and it mostly just works for what I need it to do. I'm still not happy about the systemd cancer infecting linux, but at least these days you have to work at it to get a machine that doesn't boot cleanly for a stupid reason. And yes I am aware that the old init stuff was hardly perfect either, but it didn't permeate almost every facet of the OS.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

I’ve been a degenerate gentoo user since about 2002 purely because I don’t want to learn anything new.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's good to hear that there's people sticking to one distro, because my impression has always been that there's a not-insignificant portion of the userbase that spends years of their time distro-hopping.
With the BSDs, it tends to be that once you've settled on one, you use that for decades.

atomicpile posted:

I’ve been a degenerate gentoo user since about 2002 purely because I don’t want to learn anything new.
It's interesting that you say that, because I always got the impression that the people distro-hopping constantly was doing it for fear of having to actually dig in and learn all of the nitty-gritty details of a single distro.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's good to hear that there's people sticking to one distro, because my impression has always been that there's a not-insignificant portion of the userbase that spends years of their time distro-hopping.
With the BSDs, it tends to be that once you've settled on one, you use that for decades.

It's interesting that you say that, because I always got the impression that the people distro-hopping constantly was doing it for fear of having to actually dig in and learn all of the nitty-gritty details of a single distro.

You don't switch distro because you want something in your new distro. You switch because you are annoyed at something in your old distro.

The people who are constantly hopping are the people who are really annoyed about something that every distro does.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Or just testing them for fun. My distrohopping days overlapped with my OS hopping days. (Which does give away my age - it's been a while since you had a wide spread of desktop OSes.)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Quixzlizx posted:

Isn't wanting and/or believing that the product should only be accessible to tinkerers and hobbyists the definition of insular?
If someone came into this thread and said "Hey, I'm primarily a Windows user and I'm trying to figure out how to do X in Linux, but I don't quite understand why it's done a different way--can someone explain?", they would be pretty well received.

It's when people presume "the Windows way" is canonical and correct and anything else is deviant and weird that people get snippy.

Quixzlizx posted:

An example of the first type of question would be "Why can't I just download and install .exes?,"
Why doesn't Windows come with a comprehensive package manager that contains 90% (or more) of the software I need for a productive system? (I guess the Microsoft Store tries to do this but nobody actually uses that.)

Quixzlizx posted:

'Why do I need to go into the terminal and manually edit fstab instead of having an easy GUI button to permanently map network drives?"
Why do I have to find some arcane Administrative Tools that only ships with Windows Pro to do the same thing?

Also keep in mind that for anyone over 40 their first computing experience was likely BASIC, DOS, or maybe Apple Finder, but something quite different from modern Windows and so the assumption that everything should behave like Windows doesn't necessarily hold. Hell, their first Internet experience may have even been on a shell machine over a tty.

Similarly, for anyone under 20, there's a good chance that their primary computing experience was/is an iPad or Chromebook. It's really folks in the 20-40 range that have an especially Windows-centric view of computing since they came of age during the height of the Windows monoculture.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 13, 2023

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If someone came into this thread and said "Hey, I'm primarily a Windows user and I'm trying to figure out how to do X in Linux, but I don't quite understand why it's done a different way--can someone explain?", they would be pretty well received.

It's when people presume "the Windows way" is canonical and correct and anything else is deviant and weird that people get snippy.

Why doesn't Windows come with a comprehensive package manager that contains 90% (or more) of the software I need for a productive system? (I guess the Microsoft Store tries to do this but nobody actually uses that.)

Why do I have to find some arcane Administrative Tools that only ships with Windows Pro to do the same thing?

Also keep in mind that for anyone over 40 their first computing experience was likely BASIC, DOS, or maybe Apple Finder, but something quite different from modern Windows and so the assumption that everything should behave like Windows doesn't necessarily hold. Hell, their first Internet experience may have even been on a shell machine over a tty.

Similarly, for anyone under 20, there's a good chance that their primary computing experience was/is an iPad or Chromebook. It's really folks in the 20-40 range that have an especially Windows-centric view of computing since they came of age during the height of the Windows monoculture.

Lol, it's amazing how you completely missed the point of my post, there. Why don't you reread it and stop being so defensive?

Edit: FYI, not that this has anything to do with my post, but in Windows you only have to go into File Explorer and choose "Map Network Drive" to mount a share so that it's visible to everything else in the OS, you definitely do not have to buy Windows Pro and go into Administrative Tools to do so.

Edit 2: Since I don't think you will actually reread it and/or figure it out, I was saying that I can see why the first type of question would annoy Linux users, because the purpose of Linux isn't to replicate Windows in every way, and there are good reasons for how Linux software is distributed. While the second type of question is a legitimate pain point for new users (and existing users! You may know what to do once you do it once, but does this really need to be buried in a random config file?), but toxic Linux users will conflate it with the first type of question and cry "b-b-b-Windoze!" like you just did, when it would be a UX pain point regardless of whether or not Windows exists.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 13, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Quixzlizx posted:

Edit: FYI, not that this has anything to do with my post, but in Windows you only have to go into File Explorer and choose "Map Network Drive" to mount a share so that it's visible to everything else in the OS, you definitely do not have to buy Windows Pro and go into Administrative Tools to do so.
Perhaps not, but I've definitely run into this for things that should be baseline OS features.

Quixzlizx posted:

but toxic Linux users will conflate it with the first type of question and cry "b-b-b-Windoze!" like you just did, when it would be a UX pain point regardless of whether or not Windows exists.
I don't agree with this distinction. Both are valid, legitimate questions and have welcomed answers when asked in an inquisitive.and not presumptive fashion.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've run nothing but OpenSUSE since like 2013 or so. Years before that I ran Mandrake for a long time, then PCLinuxOS for a long time, with various distrohopping and experimenting along the way. For like the last 10 years, though, I just haven't felt the need to. OpenSUSE does everything I want, and it has gotten easier and more reliable over that period of time. On a fresh install I have to do almost nothing that isn't cosmetic anymore - it just works. I think it actually takes me less time to set up a fresh Linux install than it does a fresh Windows install because I don't have to separately download and install everything I want thanks to so much being in the repos already.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Perhaps not, but I've definitely run into this for things that should be baseline OS features.

I don't agree with this distinction. Both are valid, legitimate questions and have welcomed answers when asked in an inquisitive.and not presumptive fashion.

Then why did you reflexively post your Windows "owns" (one of which was completely wrong, the other which is at least partially wrong with winget/choco available)?

This was the attitude my OP was in response to, in the couple of posts above mine:

quote:

To me, if you aren't kind of infatuated with the idea of your daily computing being lowkey annoying some days and highkey frustrating on others + the idea of searching around for solutions or hacking poo poo together sometimes doesn't sound fun to you then why are these people even trying to install linux in the first place? The killer open source apps??

quote:

Depending on the distro, you can't just expect that it's going to be like Windows where it works out of the box. "Linux is only free for those who don't value their time"; it's the kind of thing where you have to put work in to make it work for you.

Absolutely nothing of my post was about how Linux should be more like Windows (well, unless more like Windows means "where it works out of the box" like that second quote says :lol:), just two potential types of question/criticism from new users, so your initial response was a non sequitur other than out of pure defensiveness. Like you would definitely be part of the toxic community if you actually responded that way to someone who isn't trolling who asked those questions, and I even said that I thought the first question was kind of lame.

You can disagree that Linux is as much of a hassle to set up as those above quotes (which aren't even my quotes) are implying, but the mindset that Linux being a hassle is a strength and not a weakness, and Linux isn't for people who just want their OS to be easy to use, is definitely gatekeeper territory.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Quixzlizx posted:

Then why did you reflexively post your Windows "owns" (one of which was completely wrong, the other which is at least partially wrong with winget/choco available)?
My point is that computers are hard. I don't think Linux is inherently more of a hassle than Windows, nor do I think what hassle it does have is inherently a strength.

People who come into the thread admitting their experience lies with Windows and they're uncertain of how to achieve something they're certain of in Windows is fine, that's their experience and it's valid.

People who come into the thread dismissive or complaining of Linux's difficulty because it doesn't match up to their experience with Windows may get called out for not admitting their bias. It's a two-way street and some things are genuinely difficult in Windows too, it just seems less so when it's been your day job for 15 years.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Eh I've been pretty much Linux-exclusive for twenty years and I still get annoyed. For me it's the things that get changed for mysterious reasons (NetworkManager/netplan on Ubuntu comes to mind) that you only find out about after the fact. I could be proactive and read the discussions that result in these things, but I claim to have a life.

Oh yeah, and config files that say "DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE, IT'S GENERATED BY SOMETHING ELSE BUT I WON'T TELL YOU WHAT, GO READ THE DOCUMENTATION FOR THAT OTHER THING", hello resolvconf/systemd-resolved.

And then there's the "we know what's best for you" attitude that extends to localized date/time formats (KDE, thanks Danish guy who knows all about how we want our formats in Canada) or DPI doubling on resolution change (GNOME) as came up recently, or loving Snaps. But if you're determined, you can dig in and fix it how you like it, which is something you do not really have the option to do in Windows.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Every OS is gonna have pain points: windows has a very easy GUI function to map network drives, but managing local partitions / volumes locally is quite lovely. To the point that I always had a linux usb stick with gparted even when I wasn't actively using linux. BeOS had amazing video capture & production stuff back when getting that stuff to work on other platforms was either incredibly ramshackle or required spending five figures. Who does what better is always gonna be a very personal pro and con list. (How many people had prosumer digital camcorders in 1999? How many people need to map network drives in 2023?)

Quixzlizx posted:

You can disagree that Linux is as much of a hassle to set up as those above quotes (which aren't even my quotes) are implying, but the mindset that Linux being a hassle is a strength and not a weakness, and Linux isn't for people who just want their OS to be easy to use, is definitely gatekeeper territory.

So, yes, but there's gatekeeping and there's "gatekeeping". When someone says to RTFM that might be gatekeeping, or it might just be that the thing the person needs to know to is laid out in the fuckin' manual they haven't bothered to read.

But here's a philosophical digression that I don't have a solid answer for: how unforgivably complex is the fstab file anyways?

Like, one notable figure I noticed in the twitter thread that originally sparked this was Jonathan Blow. He spend several years making a game (a great one) that naturally and organically taught you the rules to solve a bunch of puzzles over the course of several hours. Those rules, if laid out in text, would take 2 or maybe 3 pages. What is the better way to learn how to solve puzzles in The Witness? Playing through a bunch of cunningly disguised tutorials, or reading a text file?

If you're playing a video game the first one is definitely best, because it makes you feel like a fuckin' genius despite the fact that the game is leading you by the hand. But I'm not sure that is actually the best way to learn things. The 2 page manual for The Witness is faster to read and easier to write.

Similarly, I'm not 100% convinced poking buttons is better than a text file. If you want to do things with computers -- and programmers should know this more than anyone -- it fundamentally comes down to text and symbols. A difficulty for linux is that most people react to the idea of editing a text file to configure their PC with horror. But are the text and symbols really that difficult to learn if you don't have those preconceptions? I'm pretty sure I could explain the fstab file to a non-technical user in a hour or two, with stops along the way for some filesystem basics.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

People who come into the thread admitting their experience lies with Windows and they're uncertain of how to achieve something they're certain of in Windows is fine

Another important thing is that twitter is a shitheap, not a community. If someone had posted the same original problem ITT there might have been one question into what he did to get that failure, then one sarcastic reply saying read the instructions dummy. On twitter it was distro evangelism and sick burns.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
It would be great if someone in this thread will ever respond to something I actually wrote instead of arguing against the strawmen you are used to arguing against in the great OS fanboy wars. Complete with the "akshually, the command line is great and user-friendly for normies!" derail.

I never claimed Windows doesn't have pain points (pretty much every person who responded to me directly or indirectly accused me of this one :lol:), that people should never RTFM, or that Linux users should never have to use a terminal (although man pages and command line documentation with a string of 20 flags/args are not user-friendly unless you are in that fantasy world where everyone lives and breathes terminals, and the average person will want screenshots, if not a Youtube video. I am not one of those video people, but sometimes have to look at example use cases for programming language functions because I can't always wrap my head around "arg1,arg2,arg3,arg4" shorthand documentation.) I never even brought up Windows in my OP other than to lightly chastise the hypothetical Windows --> Linux person mad that Linux doesn't use .exes, but somehow that got spun into the opposite interpretation by this thread (unsurprisingly).

Although I'm not going to back off thinking there should be a standard GUI button to map a network drive, even while conceding that editing fstab was one of the more painless troubleshooting steps I had to go through when setting up my server. That wasn't one of the issues that stumped me, although I will point out that I still had to Google "how to mount network drive Ubuntu," because one of the advantages of a GUI UX is that there are places that make sense to search for the button you're looking for. Nobody is going to know what "fstab" is without Googling the broader topic first.

I was originally responding to someone who was celebrating Linux' pain points like they were a positive to the experience and implying that people who would rather have less of them should probably look elsewhere. That is the same attitude as neckbeards on /r/linux who hate Proton because it means game studios will spend less time developing native Linux ports, rather than be happy that it's exposing millions of new users to Linux (they blatantly don't want those users). Taking this line of thought to its logical conclusion, you might as well remove DEs entirely because only the purest of connoisseurs are worthy of the experience.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If nothing else, this conversation made me think about things I do on the command line and that I hadn't manually trimmed my drives in a while, so thanks for that.

I guess on my Tumbleweed install I am used to running updates from the CLI, but this machine runs 15.4 and I rarely need the CLI for anything.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

Counterpoint: If you want NFS (you know, the network file system that has locking, a thing Windows doesn't have) you have to buy Windows Pro.

This is still as relevant as it ever was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPRvc2UMeMI

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Anyone know of a way to force Linux to never reclaim the slab cache automatically, only when echo 2 or echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches is invoked?

And no, I don't want to add a cronjob for locate updatedb :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Quixzlizx posted:

It would be great if someone in this thread will ever respond to something I actually wrote instead of arguing against the strawmen you are used to arguing against in the great OS fanboy wars. Complete with the "akshually, the command line is great and user-friendly for normies!" derail.

I was originally responding to someone who was celebrating Linux' pain points like they were a positive to the experience and implying that people who would rather have less of them should probably look elsewhere. That is the same attitude as neckbeards on /r/linux who hate Proton because it means game studios will spend less time developing native Linux ports, rather than be happy that it's exposing millions of new users to Linux (they blatantly don't want those users). Taking this line of thought to its logical conclusion, you might as well remove DEs entirely because only the purest of connoisseurs are worthy of the experience.

My dude you're arguing with strawmen yourself. I don't think that post was celebrating the pain points. It was acknowledging the pain points exist and asking why someone would do linux if they weren't ready to do some effort rather than get frustrated and bitch on twitter at the first hurdle. I mean, I've seen plenty of people say "linux is better now" (I've said it myself), but never "linux is easy and problem-free".

Which is also a kinda stupid question: probably they need it for a job or some practical purpose. A gamedev might want a system to help make games ready for steamdeck or something.

Nobody said that it's a good thing. It's unfortunate. But it's not linux's fault that he used an old imager that doesn't support UEFI properly. (It is unetbootin's fault that they don't prominently say "this software doesn't support UEFI" at the top of their page in big font.)

"Linux should be just as easy to use as Windows" is a false premise. Windows isn't easy, you're just used to it through many years of gradual learning. Just ask anyone who has only ever used Macs. I don't find a command line hostile and alien-- not because I'm a nerd, because I'm over forty. Today's kids don't know what files are.

Quixzlizx posted:

Although I'm not going to back off thinking there should be a standard GUI button to map a network drive, even while conceding that editing fstab was one of the more painless troubleshooting steps I had to go through when setting up my server. That wasn't one of the issues that stumped me, although I will point out that I still had to Google "how to mount network drive Ubuntu," because one of the advantages of a GUI UX is that there are places that make sense to search for the button you're looking for. Nobody is going to know what "fstab" is without Googling the broader topic first.

So your example of mapping a drive is unintentionally pretty much the ideal case for "sucks on linux for reasons that are hard to fix". The problem is that fstab *is* the way to mount drives at the system level. An automated tool to write new entries needs to be both bulletproof and make some important decisions that are more complicated than "pick a drive letter". There is some irreducible complexity that doesn't exist on windows.

Meanwhile, most GUI tools in your desktop environment are doing things at the user level. It would be pretty easy to have a GUI to mount a network share into a user mount location, same as removable storage is handled. But that's kinda useless -- 90% of the time if you want a network share permanently mounted, it's at the system level. If you only care about user desktop level just add it to your KDE Places / Gnome Favorites.

And then you get into the network shares most people are using being SMB, which isn't native on linux. A GUI button for mounting NFS shares would be far easier to have, but totally useless for people who need a GUI button. I doubt you've have been happy with that. So nobody bothers.

The GUI button on Windows can't mount a NFS share. Seriously, google mount nfs share windows. Is it any different?