Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

101 posted:

I'm a little confused what exactly is is you want. I was going to recommend TopNotch, but that just blacks out the menu bar too

The problem I had with Menu Bar Tint was that it paints over the menubar, so if you have a light wallpaper and macOS wants to have a white menubar with black text, you now have a dark or black menubar with black text, which isn't really great. TopNotch appears to work by loving with your wallpaper, so on the one hand it puts the black under the menu and switches to white text, which is great. However, it seems to actually change my wallpaper settings to only use its generated images and turns off my random rotation, which I dislike.

What I want is for macOS to use its dark menubar white text theme at all times, always, on all displays, forever (I don't really care about the sliver of wallpaper visible underneath, I will gladly sacrifice that if need be), and what I really want is for iStat Menus to not become unreadable when I focus on a fullscreen window on one display which has a wallpaper that macOS wants to put a white menubar on but on the other display the menubar is black and iStat Menus "helps" by switching to its light menubar theme making the text black so now my only visible menubar is 50% opacity dark grey text on a black background, gently caress everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Reduce transparency (accessability > display) does it, assuming losing that bit of meaningless eyecandy doesn't bother you too much.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

If you turn on Accessibility -> Display -> Reduce Transparency, it'll give you a solid black menubar.

e: beaten

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
We're getting incrementally better. I'm fine with not being able to see blurrily through the menubar. I'm less fine with the visibility change on the entire rest of the system; I liked that effect.

I'm still on the lookout for an elegant solution but I'm starting to think my only recourse is to gently caress with all my wallpaper images myself, although even that's going to be a pain because my monitors and built-in display are different aspect ratios.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Strong Android owning vibes here.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fedule posted:

We're getting incrementally better. I'm fine with not being able to see blurrily through the menubar. I'm less fine with the visibility change on the entire rest of the system; I liked that effect.

I'm still on the lookout for an elegant solution but I'm starting to think my only recourse is to gently caress with all my wallpaper images myself, although even that's going to be a pain because my monitors and built-in display are different aspect ratios.

This is what the end of this rabbithole looks like https://github.com/koekeishiya/yabai/wiki/Configuration#status-bar

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I had trouble with the menu bar too and just turned on reduce transparency months (years?) ago and called it a day. I forgot I even set that option.

Manually messing with wallpapers sounds like a huge waste of energy/effort. :shrug:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This is just the kind of insane that Apple makes you feel sometimes. I have my whole system set to always use Dark Mode. Why is this one thing different? Why can't the menubar just look consistent? macOS can make literally any other window either dark-translucent or white translucent depending on that setting so why not the menu bar? And I didn't even care about this until using iStat Menu, which is also great except for how it gets completely tripped up by having to do some things in a non-monochrome format which can't keep up with the cartwheels macOS makes the menubar do. It's hosed!

Violator
May 15, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Maybe disabling hardware acceleration in IINA and using the software decoder and see if it's a graphics chip-related thing

Yep, this is it. IINA and VLC play videos fine with hardware acceleration turned off. Thanks, this gives me something to dig into.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Does safari support arranging tabs on the side of the screen?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Nope

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Well drat

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I've been having two fairly consistent odd issues with my new m2, both on waking from sleep:
1. If the laptop is connected to my TB3 dock, external monitors will usually not be noticed prompting a re-docking to resolve. However this morning, it straight up would not recognize the HDMI monitor attached as well and a full reboot had to be done to get anything external to play nice, TB or otherwise.
2. Wifi will occasionally just up and not work from sleep despite being connected. Toggling on/off wifi will usually resolve it but it does seem weirdly similar to an issue I was seeing with the wife's 2017 MBP that appears to have been related to band steering by our router.

Are either of these known quantities?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I have not encountered any wifi issues, but the issues you're describing re: external monitors, docks and sleep are frustratingly common. Some dock manufacturers have put out updated firmware, but that doesn't always help, either.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah the constellation of awful monitor software, awful device firmware, and MacOS doing its wild poo poo with spaces and dpi and whatever can make it really unpredictable. For mine, my ASUS monitor started misbehaving with my caldigit ts3+. Needs to be turned off and on again to get it to accept the signal from my MBP. My Dell ultrasharp second monitor works perfectly for now though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hm. I was pretty sure I had grabbed the CD driver stuff for the max/doc but I’ll have to double check.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

i use the sidebar for this purpose

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

still absolutely hating the iOS style system settings

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

still absolutely hating the iOS style system settings
Yep. Dumb dumb dumb. Hope they pull a discoveryd and just change it back.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The old one was bad, the new one is worse, I still end up searching for whatever setting I’m looking for 99% of the time and it usually does a decent job of surfacing what I want.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there an app or utility that will run in the menubar or background which will keep a specific folder on two macs in sync with what exists on a network share?

So let's say that I have SMB://MySynology/AppData that needs to be synced to two macs into ~/MyApp/Data.

If I make a change on either of the Macs, the changes will propagate back to the Synology, and each Mac will check for updates and pull latest. Doesn't need to be realtime, like once an hour or once a day is fine.

I'm not worried about one mac clobbering files that the other is using. Neither Mac will be using this data concurrently, and if it does it's read-only.

I don't want to rely on iCloud or any other cloud service because it's like 200gb+ of data that doesn't need to exist in the cloud. I'll only ever be syncing this across on the local network, doesn't need to be available outside my house, and I already have a perfectly good Synology that holds all this data so not terribly interested in paying for cloud space when I don't need to.

I could write an rsync script or something, but if I'm being brutally honest I would rather just find or pay someone for an app that will let me plug in a few textboxes and not worry about it while it runs in the background vs me worrying whether I scheduled it or whether something broke.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

https://syncthing.net

That’s the one I know of. Only used it a bit personally, but other goons are pretty ardent fans.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Any reason why the Synology Drive sync client won’t meet your needs? I use it for that purpose.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kefkafloyd posted:

Any reason why the Synology Drive sync client won’t meet your needs? I use it for that purpose.

This is probably the easiest way. If not, Syncovery works really well too. (Bought it from Bundlehunt)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

Agreed. If you’re already using a Syn box this’ll do it. Keep the specific dir/file pinned on each device and it’ll sort itself out. Alternatively: rsync.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Honestly? .. because I didn't know it existed :ohdear:

Syncthing does /exactly/ what I need after ten minutes of setup, but I might actually give the Syno app a try just to stay in a known ecosystem.

Thanks, everyone, for the input!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have a million like, cloud folders synced to my mac for my job. Like, one OneDrive, two Google Drives, a Dropbox, and four separate sync folders from Synology Drive.

Since these all live in that weird liminal "CloudStorage" folder (Users/me/library/CloudStorage/...) now and I can't rename them to something simple or change the order or put them elsewhere in my sidebar, I thought maybe it would be easiest to just tag all the folders in the sync folders and have a smart folder collect all the tags.

However, this won't work for new folders in the root directory, which I have to interact with often. I went through Automator and couldn't find a task to add a tag to the contents of a folder. Same with Shortcuts. Though in there I could at least "label" an item from a folder with a colour. The custom tags I set up aren't in that list so I thought I'd just make a text variable in here. However, this just hangs on the first step so I guess I don't really know what "Get contents of folder" does.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What about using a 3rd party client to handle the upload/download, like rclone from brew or Commander One from the App Store. Then you could arrange whatever directory structure you want.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Comatoast posted:

What about using a 3rd party client to handle the upload/download, like rclone from brew or Commander One from the App Store. Then you could arrange whatever directory structure you want.

The problem is I’m overleveraged on cloud poo poo so I have like 6tb of things I need to access for my job occasionally and unpredictably and only the 1tb MBP. File streaming is all weird so I don’t think I could clone the directories and have a working compromise between storage efficiency, access and control.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Sounds like you need a NAS my dude.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

My wife is currently using a 2017 MBP and is tired of her computer dying after an extended period of non-use. She says she 100% shuts it down, but I'm more inclined to think she closes the lid before the computer 100% shuts down and it goes to sleep, and dies by the time she gets back to it. It's her computer and I don't really mess with it. Just so I'm not crazy, there isn't a setting that keeps the computer up doing stuff in the background when it's shut down right?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
There's a setting in power options to wake up for network activity. Could check to see if that is on.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

obi_ant posted:

My wife is currently using a 2017 MBP and is tired of her computer dying after an extended period of non-use. She says she 100% shuts it down, but I'm more inclined to think she closes the lid before the computer 100% shuts down and it goes to sleep, and dies by the time she gets back to it. It's her computer and I don't really mess with it. Just so I'm not crazy, there isn't a setting that keeps the computer up doing stuff in the background when it's shut down right?

2017 is quite a while; have you ever replaced the battery or opened it to clean the vents?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

serebralassazin posted:

There's a setting in power options to wake up for network activity. Could check to see if that is on.

I’ll check it out. Thanks.

Grassy Knowles posted:

2017 is quite a while; have you ever replaced the battery or opened it to clean the vents?

Might be worth giving it look. It’s a very lightly used computer.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Sounds like you need a NAS my dude.

I've got a Synology DS218+ but I'm not sure how it could solve this problem. :(

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I mean additional NASs. Can’t have enough of them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Could you sync those OneDrive and Dropbox accounts to the NAS rather than to your Mac, then access them over SMB?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there a way to stop Mail from turning raw hyperlinks into those preview boxes? or whatever they are called. each time you have to click on them to turn it back into a regular hyperlink.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Just yeet the entire affair on the NAS, you have everything you need so long as you have the disks to accommodate it. If not, disks have largely returned to a normal $/TB ratio. (Thanks for nothing, crypto idiots) Synology drive does what you want from anywhere if you configure it to do so. Failing that, consolidate to iCloud or Onedrive (presuming the latter offers “here but not here” functionality like it does for Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I use symlinks with OneDrive to selectively sync some stuff to my MacBook and other stuff that I don't need on that to my NAS, maybe try that.