Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

PostNouveau posted:

Single-elimination tournaments to determine championships don't make a ton of sense in basketball. With two competent teams in any given game, the better team wins like ... 75% of the time? The March Madness tournament is a big lie everyone goes along with because it's exciting.

I agree that the regular conference season winner should get the auto-bid, but March madness is really the only way to determine the national champ when you have 300 teams. You could make the argument there are too many teams in the tournament, but you gotta have something.

I really hate the play-in games, they really should take it back to 64 teams, but I know they’ll never do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If you play in a 1 bid league, the regular season is 100% meaningless and I don't know how you fix that short of scrapping the conference tourney

conference tourneys should be scrapped, but good luck with that

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I agree that the regular conference season winner should get the auto-bid, but March madness is really the only way to determine the national champ when you have 300 teams. You could make the argument there are too many teams in the tournament, but you gotta have something.

I really hate the play-in games, they really should take it back to 64 teams, but I know they’ll never do that.

I'm fine with the play in games but they really shouldn't have auto bids as play-in games. Just make them all the last 8 in or whatever

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If you play in a 1 bid league, the regular season is 100% meaningless and I don't know how you fix that short of scrapping the conference tourney

Didn't the Ivy League used to give their auto bid to the regular season champ?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, that's my next step here. Should be a far smaller field and not single elimination if you really wanted to know who's the best team. There's a reason it's 7 games in an NBA playoff series.

Logistics get in the way but basically all national title winners are illegitimate unless Texas wins this year and then it's a perfect system, no notes

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
fan of power conference team arguing for smaller ncaa tournament, shocker

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

a neat cape posted:

I'm fine with the play in games but they really shouldn't have auto bids as play-in games. Just make them all the last 8 in or whatever

Yea I feel bad for the 16 seeds that don’t even make it to the regular tournament. Take away some of those at-large teams that have no business in the tournament and give those small conference teams at least one game in the spotlight.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Yeah, that would be a good move. I'm fairly unclear on the point of them other than TV money.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
you can go ahead and scrap this ACC final now, good god

today has been a real bummer so far, no bid thieves, no first-time NCAA entrants, hardly any bubble teams to speak of, very few games even competitive. all to get to what is one of the weakest tournament fields in years.

Kent State-Toledo is pretty fun i guess

also Iona apparently stopped playing against Marist for a while, Foxes have almost caught up

elentar fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 12, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This game sucks someone make a basket

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

a neat cape posted:

Didn't the Ivy League used to give their auto bid to the regular season champ?

Yes, they always had the first ticket punched because of this method.

Conference tournaments don't make the season 100% meaningless--seeding matters! And if you have a truly special season you can get in as an at-large. But they do devalue it. On the flipside it's fun that like 98% of teams are technically competing for a national championship in March with this setup.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I feel like there was a time in this game that both teams were on a 5-minute FG drought

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
boy uh how bout that ACC championship game eh

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

PostNouveau posted:

I feel like there was a time in this game that both teams were on a 5-minute FG drought

Virginia is guaranteed at least one 5-minute FG drought per game, it's in the contract

this looks like the game they'll also really be missing Vander Plas, who before breaking his hand was absolutely vital in some games and a total passenger in others

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

A combined 15/44 from the field and 2/13 from 3. Some real fine basketball there.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

A combined 15/44 from the field and 2/13 from 3. Some real fine basketball there.

the perfect cap for a dreadful ACC season

the Big West final is tipping off in a sec, that should be a little easier to watch

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I can appreciate what Tony Bennett has done at Virginia.....but drat if they don't play some of the most boring basketball possible.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I am not enjoying myself right now

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
jesus loving christ they're not even making free throws

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

yeah you'd think a team with UVA's profile generally would hit free throws but they don't

just a huge messy poo poo on the Greensboro Coliseum floor, in advance of losing to whoever they draw in the first round

the whole ACC, just terrible

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Only a 7 pt game, feels like 20

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Cal-Fullerton/UCSB is a one possession game at the half.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol how is that not a foul, Duke rear end refs

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol how is that not a foul, Duke rear end refs

Not worth getting worked up over, we never showed and deserve this loss

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Ungratek posted:

Not worth getting worked up over, we never showed and deserve this loss

yeah ACC refs in Greensboro are usually worth at least 6 or 7 points to Duke but frankly they've been begging UVA to take this game and Virginia just said no

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Nice, Bill Walton calling the this game

Edit: It pains me to report that Bill Walton does not seem to be high on shrooms like he was for the semifinal.

I do think he may be getting kickbacks from MGM for every time he mentions them.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 12, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Tyger is always one of my faves.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
UCLA's defense might be good enough to win it all this year.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

finals Sunday before the selection show

Ivy, 12 PM: Yale’s legit but has to beat Princeton on their floor. potentially diverting

SEC, 1 PM: don’t really want to see either the Alabama or TAMU fanbase happy but it can’t be worse than the ACC final

A-10, 1 PM: Dayton vs. VCU for the title and the conference’s one berth this year, hopefully a decent game

American, 3:15 PM: Houston has the 1 seed locked up and the field will be basically set by the time this finishes so this game probably means a lot more for Memphis, if that actually matters (it won’t)

Big Ten, 3:30 PM: it would be pretty funny if Penn State ended up Big Ten champions, maybe Purdue will forget to get Edey out of his vat or something

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Can't believe Arizona is gonna lose this game

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

This is the most I've seen of UCLA this year. I'm a believer in this defense but Is their offensse usually this awkward?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ballo is like a head taller and 30 lbs heavier than every UCLA player and Arizona can't figure out how to get him the ball low

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

wow, that was close

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Great game

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

UCLA is like a cockroach in NCAA tournaments, but that offense is giving me doubts this time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Woooo. Nice win. I can't complain about that win for Arizona; they played some very fun ball and getting to split the conference championship--albeit definitely a stupid rule to me--is a nice reward for for a nice season. I don't have high hopes in the tournament because this team is worse than last year's team. But one actual key difference this year is that Arizona has some wins in some very physical games, whereas last year that was their kryptonite.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

UCLA is like a cockroach in NCAA tournaments, but that offense is giving me doubts this time.

Yeah you're probably right ultimately.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

it is highly shady that Grand Canyon is a for-profit running D1 sports programs but i guess it's working out for them*

i assume some major conference team is gonna kick the tires on Bryce Drew again, or maybe he'll just go back to Valpo

*all for-profit universities are highly shady but GCU has been credibly accused of securities fraud which is why they can't go back to being nonprofit, the NCAA of course is fine with it

elentar fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 12, 2023

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
https://twitter.com/BruinReport/status/1634799477554053122?t=Xdx_7RrTKp3VEgPGfBE_iQ&s=19

My god is that Cincinnati Mick's music??

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Someone mentioned Hep C and he bolted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I probably have PTSD from watching Iowa state all season, but teams with great D and so-so offense like to crumble when they face another team with good D.