Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And hey, "Shrinking" can be funny. It has Ted fuckin' McGinley!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asISWDliXFQ

I didn't immediately recognize McGinley (because he's aged) or Christa Miller (because she has refused to age and has a different face than she used to) and actually pegged them from their voices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Mellow Seas posted:

And hey, "Shrinking" can be funny. It has Ted fuckin' McGinley!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asISWDliXFQ

I didn't immediately recognize McGinley (because he's aged) or Christa Miller (because she has refused to age and has a different face than she used to) and actually pegged them from their voices.

I always light up when I see Al bundys neighbor :keke:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Only Kindness posted:

Simply that comedy comes from many places, not just "funny man fall down".

For example, I just made you laugh by posting no jokes.

yeah but you’re the worst is full of jokes

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If someone had told me that Hello Tomorrow was a Fallout pre-war show, I'd believe them. I'm enjoying it so far. But I feel like I have a few nits to pick. 3 episodes in spoilers: So the property on the moon thing is clearly a big scam. The guy from the old TV show is senile and Jack has tricked him into thinking that he's on the moon. The "boss" is just a turtle and the moon rocks are rocks from the turtle tank. That's all well and good, but how do they keep scamming people? It feels like this "Whoops, there's a delay on the quarterly launch, offer people refunds if they don't want to wait" plan could only work once. What happens the next quarter? And how long have they been doing this? It's not like they are snake oil salesmen who can just pack up and go to a new town, they have a phone number that is sometimes manned. Surely someone has called from months before wondering what the hell is going on. It's a fun concept, but it feels like it has a bunch of holes in it.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

Cojawfee posted:

If someone had told me that Hello Tomorrow was a Fallout pre-war show, I'd believe them. I'm enjoying it so far. But I feel like I have a few nits to pick. 3 episodes in spoilers: So the property on the moon thing is clearly a big scam. The guy from the old TV show is senile and Jack has tricked him into thinking that he's on the moon. The "boss" is just a turtle and the moon rocks are rocks from the turtle tank. That's all well and good, but how do they keep scamming people? It feels like this "Whoops, there's a delay on the quarterly launch, offer people refunds if they don't want to wait" plan could only work once. What happens the next quarter? And how long have they been doing this? It's not like they are snake oil salesmen who can just pack up and go to a new town, they have a phone number that is sometimes manned. Surely someone has called from months before wondering what the hell is going on. It's a fun concept, but it feels like it has a bunch of holes in it.

I think the scene where Myrtle calls Brightside’s customer support line pretty firmly implies that it is never actually manned, and it wouldn’t even save her voice message. It’s a total facade just set up to further the illusion that Brightside is a legitimate company.

However, I do agree that a scam on this level in the world the show has set up would have been figured out by now - I think I’ll be disappointed if the show handwaves this away as “we just skip town after running a grift and no one ever reports us to the cops or national news or talks to their out-of-town family members about it.”

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

My only problem with Shrinking is the plot of Jason Segel's high school daughter and the Afghanistan war vet and them trying to justify it as her wanting to sleep with him and she'll make it happen.

They're not portraying this interaction very positively though? He's clearly trouble.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ChadSexington posted:

I think the scene where Myrtle calls Brightside’s customer support line pretty firmly implies that it is never actually manned, and it wouldn’t even save her voice message. It’s a total facade just set up to further the illusion that Brightside is a legitimate company.

However, I do agree that a scam on this level in the world the show has set up would have been figured out by now - I think I’ll be disappointed if the show handwaves this away as “we just skip town after running a grift and no one ever reports us to the cops or national news or talks to their out-of-town family members about it.”

The more I think about it the more this make sense. This is why Jack doesn’t want Shirley making a big splash with actual good marketing.
I’m trying to think how this operation could actually be real knowing what we know. Is it possible he’s ‘just’ fudging the immediate chain of command but otherwise it’s real?

I think Jack has no association to any moon community but created this scheme to earn enough to convince his estranged son to move there with him

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

They're not portraying this interaction very positively though? He's clearly trouble.

It's not a positive or negative thing. The whole conversation between Christa Miller, Jessica Williams, and Jason Segel's character is that the women said when they were in high school said slept with older men and that they really didn't "give" the choice to these men. I am not trying to be a prude here but its a bit of weird lolita angle that's super awkward that they are trying to set these two characters up.

I know part of the point is that the dad isn't exactly responsible and has a hard time talking to his daughter and he also violate a boundary issue with the patient but he at least needs to go this patient and say, heads up my daughter has a crush on you and i need you to promise me that you'll accept appropriate boundaries and quite frankly he needs to tell her the same thing. I think they are getting around this as hinting she is 18 so its legal but I dunno, it creeps me out. To the credit of the patient he maybe hosed up but he also seems like a stand up dude who well tell her no and that's inappropriate.

I like the show, its well acted and funny but this subplot is loving weird and a little gross is all. I am happy that Christa Miller gets to act outside the super bitch characters she played on the Drew Carey Show and Scrubs though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't think they're suggesting that this is a positive relationship -- Sean's got a violent PTSD response and his most recent hangout with Alice, the daughter, ended with her being seriously freaked out. If I had to guess where this was going, I think he's more than likely to end up wailing on the neighbour's kid than anything else.

And, sure, maybe he'll end up hooking up with Alice on the way to that plot point -- though I'm not sure Sean's actually all that interested tbh, there's that scene with him and Alice's friend -- but the whole situation with Sean is meant to be a direct consequence of Jimmy ignoring the boundaries that a therapist is meant to put in place. The entire situation is meant to be unethical, it's right there in the show's blurb.

So, I don't buy the idea that the show is endorsing the relationship, which -- correct me if I'm wrong -- seems to be your argument?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 20, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Caught up on Hello, Tomorrow! and I've come around to liking it a lot more. I don't think there's any big conspiracy going on anymore; I'm sort of looking at it as a more (obviously) off kilter version of something like Mad Men. There are lots of bits in the second, and particularly third, episode that made me laugh -- pretty much everything to do with Allison Pill's subplots, for instance, and Dewshane Williams is juuuuust on the right side of OTT that he comes across as hilarious and not annoying or unbelievable. But, as has been noted, the cast is stacked.

And the aesthetic is gorgeous too. It's just a fun show to watch.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Open Source Idiom posted:

There are lots of bits in the second, and particularly third, episode that made me laugh -- pretty much everything to do with Allison Pill's subplots

I really enjoyed the returning shot of her still on the phone to HQ.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now that was a good episode of Shrinking lmao. I still skip the intro as soon as possible though because that opening song, while ok by itself, just gives the show a weird self-important vibe that it definitely hasn’t earned

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Now that was a good episode of Shrinking lmao. I still skip the intro as soon as possible though because that opening song, while ok by itself, just gives the show a weird self-important vibe that it definitely hasn’t earned

Oh yeah, that was aces.

Also i loving called it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That Hello Tomorrow! owned.

Also did they mention a loving space war?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
After the last 10- 15 years or so, if feels weird to see Harrison Ford in a role he actually likes.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I’m only one episode into the second season of See and I’m already enjoying it far more than season 1. It does feel like a soft reboot of the series. The writing style is different, new intro, music, cinematography, and much improved pacing, and I can already tell Dave Bautista is going to be great.

Season 1 had a really interesting premise and solid acting and action sequences…but good lord it’s pacing was slow and dull. I’d often have the show on in the background while I worked or did other things, only occasionally checking in, and I was never lost. That’s how slow it moved. I can already tell S2 is going to be a big improvement because I was engaged throughput the entire first episode.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBMajXwi6Cs

I am so incredibly pumped for this. If you haven't read the book series you should definitely do so. Some of the best science fiction in the past 20 years.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

D-Pad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBMajXwi6Cs

I am so incredibly pumped for this. If you haven't read the book series you should definitely do so. Some of the best science fiction in the past 20 years.

It's a great trilogy and I'm also very excited to see an adaptation

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea that looks incredible, based on just the cast shown. I'll try and keep from reading too much about it so I can stay excited. I bet it's gonna be a hit with the Fallout crowd.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu-KfLd-d9U

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m rereading Silo after a long time and I have spoilery casting thoughts. Two of the “name” actors Rashida Jones and David Oyelowo are playing the sheriff and his wife… aren’t they only in the very first part of the book? Wonder if they are changing the story around.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

smackfu posted:

I’m rereading Silo after a long time and I have spoilery casting thoughts. Two of the “name” actors Rashida Jones and David Oyelowo are playing the sheriff and his wife… aren’t they only in the very first part of the book? Wonder if they are changing the story around.

I honestly don't know if this is a spoiler, but people can be weird about forbidden knowledge.

I am assuming that most of the trailer and the first episode or 2 are entirely Holston's story.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 13, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Collateral posted:

I honestly don't know if this is a spoiler, but people can be weird about forbidden knowledge.

I am assuming that most of the trailer and the first episode or 2 are entirely Holston's story.

Oh yeah, that's a spoiler.

(And so is this:)

imdb, which can be unreliable but I trust it in this case, suggests that we're getting the first two novellas over the course of the first half of the season (so the first five episodes).

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Definitely willing to see how they play it, but I kind of want the show to have the same feeling starting that the book did. Like, 15min of putting you in the setting then the Holston’s decision and consequences, then title card. Throw you in with a “wtf just happened” and go from there’s

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao the casting of Paul’s patient in Shrinking this week

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hello Tomorrow! took a turn (in a good way).

Holy poo poo the gag with the news cast was loving hilarious too. The pan to the kid, like something out of a terrible 70s B movie, completely with perfect bad child acting. A+

Just an amazing tissue of lies, where everyone's speaking out the side of their moiths and only listening to what they want to hear. Fantastic episode of television.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Hello Tomorrow was great this week, looking forward to where things go next.

Shrinking...was ok, but I am very glad that next week is the finale.

And lastly, not sure if anyone has caught it but the first three episodes of Extrapolations has dropped as well. I like it so far, and want to punch clean-shaven Jon Snow in the face. Also, I learned that a clean shaven Matthew Rhys is good at being a money-grubbing bastard.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Count me as another fan of Shrinking. Harrison Ford absolutely kills in some of his scenes in a way I haven't seen him do in a long time. I think he really enjoys the show and its stories and it comes out in his performance.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mental Hospitality posted:

Count me as another fan of Shrinking. Harrison Ford absolutely kills in some of his scenes in a way I haven't seen him do in a long time. I think he really enjoys the show and its stories and it comes out in his performance.

I genuinely believe this is one of the best things Harrison Ford has done in the last 20 years. It's quickly become my favorite show on currently TV.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
I keep seeing people praising Shrinking but thought the first two episodes were terrible (had some likable characters, though). Does it improve a lot, or is just not for me?

False fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 20, 2023

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

False posted:

I keep seeing people praising shrinking but thought the first two episodes were terrible (had some likable characters, though). Does it improve a lot, or is just not for me?

It’s not for you then.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I feel the same way about Severance. Just wasn't for me.

I've been watching Extrapolations and it's pretty good. Really bleak, obviously. It's about climate change and takes place over several decades (based on episode titles at least that appears to be the case). It's got a huge cast of A+ level actors.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I feel like Severance was for me in that I've always wanted to see what happens if you stretch out a good Black Mirror concept to a season. Now I know it isn't that interesting for me. But what if you stretch out a good Black Mirror concept to four episodes 🤔

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oasx posted:

It’s not for you then.

Yeah, as much as I like the show it really pivots on if Jason Segal hits with you or not and apparently that's by design.

When he was on Conan a week or two ago he talked about asking the writers to push his character just past the point of likeability and rely on him to carry the gap.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Meryl Streep whale in Extrapolations is far funnier than I think it’s meant to be

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

The Meryl Streep whale in Extrapolations is far funnier than I think it’s meant to be

Yea that poo poo was at times hilarious and at times very sad. This is one of the shows I look forward too though and I'm excited to see the the one tomorrow that has Edward Norton in it.

Caught up on Shrinking in time for the season finale and it's way better than it started out. It's got very funny moments, very sad moments, very happy moments, some cringe moments, really just the whole spectrum of emotions. I can see why Harrison Ford really got sold on it via the script.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The season finale of Shrinking was great. Wrapped the season up nicely and added some elements for a potential Season 2.

But holy poo poo, that new Extrapolations episode was insane. I never saw that coming. Makes me wish I had a thread for it. That's basically the nuclear climate change option and is gonna set up the next several episodes nicely. The way the show works, I imagine we'll see the aftermath 5-10 or more years later. I have no idea if covering the whole earth in ash would actually do what they say it does, but they done did it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ShowTime posted:

The season finale of Shrinking was great. Wrapped the season up nicely and added some elements for a potential Season 2.

But holy poo poo, that new Extrapolations episode was insane. I never saw that coming. Makes me wish I had a thread for it. That's basically the nuclear climate change option and is gonna set up the next several episodes nicely. The way the show works, I imagine we'll see the aftermath 5-10 or more years later. I have no idea if covering the whole earth in ash would actually do what they say it does, but they done did it.

Snowpiercer prequel?

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Good episodes of Shrinking and Extrapolations. I am looking forward to where they go with the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Wow that Extrapolations episode. The show started kinda slow but it's got going.