Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I caved and looked it up. It's one of the worst episodes ever, at least that I've seen.

The one where Homer gets a bucket stuck on his head. Bart pulls it off and becomes a faith healer.

That still has "That had nothing to do with the bucket."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is Mister X the one where Homer ends up in The Prisoner and everyone keeps getting gassed?

yup

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Sex Farm posted:

Edit: i also love when the smarmy businessman is like "it doesn't DO anything! That's the beauty of it!"

Lol this is a quote that everyone “knows” but isn’t actually from anything

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Which not-a-professionnal-actor guest provides the best voice performance? I think Derek strawberry and some of the other baseball men do a great job

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

gently caress

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Literal :lol::lol::lol:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

:lmao:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sex Farm posted:

Classic simpsons had a way of turning even mediocre bits into gold with just line readings and animation. One of my favourite line reads is krusty's "HE'S SPINNING THE BALL ON HIS FINGER!" With the simple animation in the television. The bit itself is very weak but just a little bit of juice elevates it. I also love how homer pronounces magic johnson but that is unrelated

Edit: i also love when the smarmy businessman is like "it doesn't DO anything! That's the beauty of it!"

Just on a random wikipedia drunken-sailor wander I found myself looking at this image

and thinking, god drat what a great joke

Just, all the little cultural ingredients that all come together to make a flaming moe of a gag

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
just found out full episodes of The Critic are on YouTube and somehow they actually hold up really well. it really is written the same way the Simpsons were at their peak.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Data Graham posted:

Just on a random wikipedia drunken-sailor wander I found myself looking at this image

and thinking, god drat what a great joke

Just, all the little cultural ingredients that all come together to make a flaming moe of a gag

I could only think of this when Mr Magorium’s Wonder Emporium came out.

Incidentally, is the weird and dumb passion project thing here referencing Hudson Hawk specifically?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

JAMOOOL posted:

just found out full episodes of The Critic are on YouTube and somehow they actually hold up really well. it really is written the same way the Simpsons were at their peak.

The Critic absolutely still holds up and is one of those shows that I kind of hope gets a reboot of some sort. The Critic talking about the movie industry of today would be pretty wild. But man seeing the Twin Towers in the opening gets me every time :tinfoil:

Anyway, this is my favorite Critic bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DyPn_3bNzg

It is such a perfect encapsulation of what people who hate musicals think musicals are like, written by someone who definitely loves musicals :allears:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 11, 2023

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Happy Landfill posted:

The Critic absolutely still holds up and is one of those shows that I kind of hope gets a reboot of some sort. The Critic talking about the movie industry of today would be pretty wild. But man seeing the Twin Towers in the opening gets me every time :tinfoil:

Anyway, this is my favorite Critic bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DyPn_3bNzg

It is such a perfect encapsulation of what people who hate musicals think musicals are like, written by someone who definitely loves musicals :allears:

that was actually a pretty good song!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Oh, are we posting The Critic musicals now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFknvFgHc4o

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Mr Interweb posted:

that was actually a pretty good song!

I love being able to pick out the exact shows that this is parodying. It's so good!

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 11, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Critic really reminds me of Hey Arnold for some reason.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Critic really reminds me of Hey Arnold for some reason.

Now that you say it, I kind of see it too. I think it's the character designs plus coming out around the same time lending the colors the same sort of vibe. Plus the animation itself seems similar.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxb1kEL4vPY

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

porfiria posted:

Incidentally, is the weird and dumb passion project thing here referencing Hudson Hawk specifically?

Lol that was making the rounds when Robert Downey Jr. followed up being Iron Man with being Dr. Dolittle.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

porfiria posted:

It was because of reading about Dustin Hoffman that I looked up the image as a matter of fact. I was surprised that they came out in that order

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

modern Simpsons is a Duketastrophe

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Modern Simpsons makes me think that we should come up with a better, more up to date term than "jump the shark"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Outpost22 posted:

Modern Simpsons makes me think that we should come up with a better, more up to date term than "jump the shark"

Meeting Gaga
loving the Panda
Sucking off Musk

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Outpost22 posted:

Armining the Tamzarian

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Now that you say it, I kind of see it too. I think it's the character designs plus coming out around the same time lending the colors the same sort of vibe. Plus the animation itself seems similar.

Even a little bit of the same tone, from what I've seen. They also both have relatively similar settings, focusing on life in big American cities (They don't quite name the city in Hey Arnold but it's mostly New York) and a parodic approach to pop culture.

Wouldn't be surprised if they shared some voice actors. Most everything did back then. (Still does, really)

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

modern Simpsons is a Duketastrophe

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Betting odds in Las Vegas for The Simpsons “Who Shot Mr. Burns?” episode from 1995

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even a little bit of the same tone, from what I've seen. They also both have relatively similar settings, focusing on life in big American cities (They don't quite name the city in Hey Arnold but it's mostly New York) and a parodic approach to pop culture.

Wouldn't be surprised if they shared some voice actors. Most everything did back then. (Still does, really)

off the top of my head, I think the australian guy in the critic was helga’s dad in hey arnold (maurice lamarche)

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Outpost22 posted:

"bought by Disney"

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

First of May posted:

"bought by Disney"

like it didn't already suck for 20 years before this

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

al jeaned

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

PostNouveau posted:

loving the Panda

It's got to be this.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PinheadSlim posted:

Betting odds in Las Vegas for The Simpsons “Who Shot Mr. Burns?” episode from 1995

Well now I know what I'll do if I invent a time machine.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PinheadSlim posted:

It was that god damned Dart Simpsoon up to no good again. No amount of Disney+ retcon edits will change my mind :argh:

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I never noticed that Hans Moleman is so high up there. I'm trying to remember if he's even in the first episode, or why he might be more likely to shoot Mr. Burns than Grandpa.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Mr Burns did drill a hole in his brain.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Precambrian posted:

I never noticed that Hans Moleman is so high up there. I'm trying to remember if he's even in the first episode, or why he might be more likely to shoot Mr. Burns than Grandpa.

Moleman is such a wild card I can see em using him for drat near anything.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Moleman is such a wild card I can see em using him for drat near anything.

I'm just going to operate under the assumption he's had his own episode like Gil a couple of times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
kinda impressive the vegas place was able to name chracters correctly given how this is the ancient information dark age of the 90s.