Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's not Wheatley's fault! They plugged him into the Machine That Makes Robots Into Testing-Obsessed Maniacs!

Sorry I've seen a lot of people decide he's just a bastard and he's not, he's a silly little chatterball and I love him. Hope he enjoys space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The space core getting his wish made me so happy.

Also the defective turrets. Especially the one that came out still in the box lmao.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Awww I love them. '*click click click* Well, I tried."

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
It’s really such a delightful game. I obviously love my steamdeck but I hope Valve starts making narrative games again some day.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"I don't blame you."

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Talorat posted:

It’s really such a delightful game. I obviously love my steamdeck but I hope Valve starts making narrative games again some day.

They made Alyx : )

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My suspend animation is one of the turrets saying goodbye with the little glowy eye in the centre

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

It's one of the best games of all time and made a pile of money, but they didn't make the gross domestic product of Finland selling hats or loot crates in it so we'll never get another single-player game from Valve that isn't a loss-leader for a VR headset ever again.

to this day, I still have no idea why valve thought portal 2 needed a cosmetics store

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Hats were big in TF2 around then iirc.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
My 5 year old daughter took my deck while I was out and now it's a Dreamlight Valley and Unpacking player; apparently all my misgivings about the controller being a little large are now debunked.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

PageMaster posted:

My 5 year old daughter took my deck while I was out and now it's a Dreamlight Valley and Unpacking player; apparently all my misgivings about the controller being a little large are now debunked.

owned in multiple ways simultaneously

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

What bitrate are you all using in Chiaki4deck? I was getting some audio static last night and want to make sure that’s not the issue.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

PageMaster posted:

Those Steam recommendations are about to get wild.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

loudog999 posted:

What bitrate are you all using in Chiaki4deck? I was getting some audio static last night and want to make sure that’s not the issue.

i set the audio buffer up to like 12500 on regular chiaki and it seems to work well

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

i set the audio buffer up to like 12500 on regular chiaki and it seems to work well

Ok thanks, that’s probably my issue. I read somewhere to set it at 19200.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Got my Deck last night and picked up an SSD from Microcenter. Excited to dive in!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Huh I just checked on a whim and saw that the Jsaux colored backplates are available. I must have missed a reminder.

I ordered the clear purple one. I hope it fixes the squeakiness my stock body has in a couple spots.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Whoooa ok, are those decent quality? I will clurple my steamdook immediately if so.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Rolo posted:

Whoooa ok, are those decent quality? I will clurple my steamdook immediately if so.

I have the non colored one and they're good IMHO. The passive heatsink actually seems to help and the other back button shapes are really good

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sweet! Also here’s another game report:

I’ve been having a dilemma with Subnautica. I don’t want to dedicate my tv to a mindless out and back game (even though I love the genre) and it looks kinda bad on my switch. After some tinkering I got it to look pretty without going into leaf blower mode and now I get to enjoy this gorgeous game on the go and on my couch.

Steam Deck! I’m actually playin games on it!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rolo posted:

Sweet! Also here’s another game report:

I’ve been having a dilemma with Subnautica. I don’t want to dedicate my tv to a mindless out and back game (even though I love the genre) and it looks kinda bad on my switch. After some tinkering I got it to look pretty without going into leaf blower mode and now I get to enjoy this gorgeous game on the go and on my couch.

Steam Deck! I’m actually playin games on it!

Pop over to the Subnautica thread!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Before I do, is the game old enough for people to post un-spoiler stuff? I am 100% blind and don’t know anything other than oxygen anxiety is real and peeper fish has good macros.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Huh I just checked on a whim and saw that the Jsaux colored backplates are available. I must have missed a reminder.

I ordered the clear purple one. I hope it fixes the squeakiness my stock body has in a couple spots.

I would be interested in this, please give an update once you have it installed. My solution has been using the jsaux case to stop it, but would rather change out the back and go without a case.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rolo posted:

Before I do, is the game old enough for people to post un-spoiler stuff? I am 100% blind and don’t know anything other than oxygen anxiety is real and peeper fish has good macros.

We're very newb friendly because we all wish we could experience the game for the first time again, so we do it vicariously through new players.

Just be sure to mention that this is your first time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I ordered when they only had the clear one without color, would have loved purple

This bad boy arrived over the weekend. Sooo perfect.

Ordered it for the improved back buttons, and they certainly are. Went with the blues.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

TraderStav posted:

Ordered it for the improved back buttons, and they certainly are. Went with the blues.

Oh hell yeah that rocks

Edit: oh wow those are a lot cheaper than I expected, only 30 bucks? Totally worth

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, blue buttons are really good. I've noticed my fan kicking in less too. Or not at all for 30fps Persona 5R

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah, blue buttons are really good. I've noticed my fan kicking in less too. Or not at all for 30fps Persona 5R

I removed the heat sink pad on advice from the discord. Said it radiates too much heat and made it uncomfortable to hold.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

TraderStav posted:

How difficult is that to do if you are the dumbest person to ever live

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Consummate Professional posted:

Speaking as someone who is pretty drat dumb, it's easy. I haven't replaced the back plate, but I've swapped out the SSD on two decks and each one took like 15 minutes to do while following a YouTube guide. Swapping the back plate should take like two minutes as long as you have a pry tool or an old credit card or some really strong fingernails.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

TraderStav posted:

I removed the heat sink pad on advice from the discord. Said it radiates too much heat and made it uncomfortable to hold.

My hand gets nowhere close to it at all.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rolo posted:

Playing Portal 2 for the first time ever thanks to the deck.

This game is so good I hope it never ends.

:love:

Portal 2 is my most favourite game of all time and this post makes me beam!
I love every last thing it does and it is one of the few perfect games I have played.

If you can, DEFINITELY give the coop a go with a friend because the levels and story are all completely seperate and you will have the free extra dlc too with more levels and fun story!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I can’t imagine playing either portal on a controller as an especially great time, some of those on-the-move placements are pretty tight

Maybe I’ll give it a spin and see for myself

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!
I played and finished it on PS3, it’ll be fine on deck.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

History Comes Inside! posted:

I can’t imagine playing either portal on a controller as an especially great time, some of those on-the-move placements are pretty tight

I played the co-op back in the day on a gamepad with split-screen on the PS3 and while not as good as m/kb on a full screen it's totally playable.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

I played the co-op back in the day on a gamepad with split-screen on the PS3 and while not as good as m/kb on a full screen it's totally playable.

Having and using gyro aiming helps A LOT.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Set the right trackpad to mouse (trackball mode, medium friction) so you can flick and tap for quick turns and stops, with gyro enabled when touching the trackpad so you can use the two in tandem. I've played every single FPS I've ever touched since the Steam controller came out that way, including TF2 and Overwatch and doing just as well as I ever did with a mouse. It might be a bit more awkward when the screen is moving as well, but you should only be using the gyro for fine adjustments so you're only nudging the Deck around rather than making any big movements.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

History Comes Inside! posted:

Let me tell you about the magical world of gyro aiming

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
One of these days I'll spend an hour or two in AimLab and try to force myself to get used to gyro aiming. I'm awful at shooters at the best of times, but doubly so on a gamepad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Consummate Professional posted:

Soysaucebeast posted:

Speaking as someone who is pretty drat dumb, it's easy. I haven't replaced the back plate, but I've swapped out the SSD on two decks and each one took like 15 minutes to do while following a YouTube guide. Swapping the back plate should take like two minutes as long as you have a pry tool or an old credit card or some really strong fingernails.

Yup, pretty much exactly this. As other posters have mentioned the biggest thing to remember is to take your SD card out ahead of time. I made sure to lie the deck on something soft so the screen doesn't get scratched up or anything, not that it's a risk, but why not?

There is a SLIGHT gap near the right trigger, as if the body isn't quite snugging up against the housing. Perhaps I need to further tighten some screws, but it may be too far away to make a difference.

This thing fucks

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

My hand gets nowhere close to it at all.

Maybe I'll throw it back on. Some of the reasoning that I heard was that the deck doesn't really suffer from thermal issues so it was a bit superfluous? Not a deal killer either way