Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Slavvy posted:

The move to bolt action had a lot of reasons to it, people often overestimate the 'tactical' value of certain features compared to their other qualities. Bolt action is super simple and cheap to build, extremely rugged and simple to maintain, lets you integrate a magazine lockout (this was deemed valuable for weird institutional reasons), the lebel was bolt action, it made a deep impression on debut and there's a certain tendency to copy what works instead of wasting time and money on experimenting with different ways to do the same thing. The bigger the scale of production, the less the tactical aspects matter compared to the industrial. Also most troops just suck rear end at shooting and don't benefit from super rapid fire or whatever.

Back when the changes were made to go to bolt action, was there even one lever action rifle which wasn't poo poo to reload? Every lever action I have ever seen seem to be based on an awkward tube feed which is cumbersome to refill, especially if you were to compare to stripper clips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

A tale of two pics.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Военный Осведомитель posted:

Капитальный ремонт и модернизация танков Т-62М/МВ (обр. 2022 года) на 103 бронетанковом ремонтном заводе

Модернизация осуществляется путём установкой современной радиостанции, динамической защиты и тепловизионного прицела 1ПН96МТ-02.
Так же в цехе можно увидеть ремонтируемые БМП-2 и модернизируемые БРДМ-2МС.

@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/97870, via tgsa)

a tankie repair factory

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

(from t.me/milinfolive/97870, via tgsa)

a tankie repair factory

every ERA module filled with printouts of supportive tweets

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The best bit about those pics is that it means GHQ will definitely be making a 1:285 scale T-62M covered in reactive armour blocks at some point in the future

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Organ Fiend posted:

lmao that they added the little swastikas to the stahlhelms, just to make sure there was no ambiguity, as if it wasn't completely obvious that this was Nazi poo poo without them.

Me, spinning on the spot fast enough to take off:

Well actually they were all hired actors and these are behind the scenes stills for a historical movie still in production. If evil bad Russia never invaded innocent peaceful Ukraine you'd have seen its release at the cannes film festival.

The films name? Uh (starts sweating intently)

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Tankbuster posted:

A tale of two pics.

NOT ONE STEP BACK!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Turns out planes, tanks and guided missiles can't take urban terrain. Infantry do that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Comrade Koba posted:

even more lmao at the guy front and center having a literal “ADOLF HITLER” cuff title

look maybe they're just very dedicated historical reenactors

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

russia is now an asian country so poland being europe's largest land force is technically correct

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Poland is going to order a million billion tanks. In 10 years a couple hundred will be delivered, the rest are on back order. No refunds!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/1634651306785685505

o_O

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gross.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

notable trusted source malcom nonce reporting in

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
uhhhh the russians are the ones with air cover

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
These are genuinely some of the stupidest loving people on earth I need to stop staring into the abyss
https://twitter.com/locust9/status/1634624765573881856?s=19
https://twitter.com/locust9/status/1634633722828816385?s=19

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, Muscovy is just such a akward comback even if they are trying to pick up from "Moskal" but it sounds like they are in a LARPer spat.

As far as the pictute goes, it is so low resolution, who the hell knows what that is put it seems like if it was soldiers there would be more signs of equipment. Also, most Russian soldiers don't wear yellow uniforms, that is more of a Ukrainian thing.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:08 on Mar 12, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The last time someone posted a grainy photo with annotations alleging dead bodies, we had a really good thread meltdown over it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
#slaughter

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just photo your own failed attacks and post them relabelled as a failed enemy attack.

"Please send more cargo plane pallets of cash if you want to see more of this."

What are they going to do? Go out and check? The paypigs will cough up just the same.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Are those even bodies or just prone infantry? Is that even a real photo?

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

You can't fool me this is the carpet under my desk

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GIRL BRAINS posted:

You can't fool me this is the carpet under my desk

I'm the flat 2D craters.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

ufo/alien photographer strikes again

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

The last time someone posted a grainy photo with annotations alleging dead bodies, we had a really good thread meltdown over it

...and you're saying this appendage is carrying an embryo...

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Schuldensuehner/status/1634105577231073281

sounds like a good business opportunity for american factory farms and agri corps to help a friend in need

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

drat that's a lot of bicycles

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The Russians attacking in low-resolution areas, need reinforcements asap

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the russians are a death cult, i keep insisting as people around me can no longer afford food

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

1stGear posted:

drat that's a lot of bicycles

beat me to it

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

supersnowman posted:

Back when the changes were made to go to bolt action, was there even one lever action rifle which wasn't poo poo to reload? Every lever action I have ever seen seem to be based on an awkward tube feed which is cumbersome to refill, especially if you were to compare to stripper clips.

The Winchester Model 1895.
I guess you could make a stripper clip of sorts for a tube magazine although it would be unwieldy. It was the pointed "spitzer" bullet that made tube magazines impractical.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

lol why is Poland planning on operating Leopards, Abrams, modernized Soviet tanks and Korean tanks?

Global new tank production as of January 2033 2022 was like a dozen per month (144/yr). If you want 500 tanks in a year and have to fight/compete with Ukraine for allocation, you can't be picky, gotta buy mothballed stuff and get it running again

Edit: the future is unknowable

Hadlock has issued a correction as of 10:21 on Mar 12, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

The Winchester Model 1895.
I guess you could make a stripper clip of sorts for a tube magazine although it would be unwieldy. It was the pointed "spitzer" bullet that made tube magazines impractical.

It seems pretty late in the game though and it seems like it still had issues with high pressure loads which probably wouldn't wouldn't work as a frontline rifle.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

lmao you can plainly see from the marks on the left side that those are just older shell craters which filled with snow

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

It seems pretty late in the game though and it seems like it still had issues with high pressure loads which probably wouldn't wouldn't work as a frontline rifle.

Just based on that article it was fine for loads when it came out just not modern ones. The main issue is cost, and I guess as someone mentioned, inertia.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/KitKlarenberg/status/1633924524080091136

Shame Movement(tm): Sponsored by America

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

A tale of two pics.

It's funny seeing how confused these people are any time reality conflicts with their hilarious understanding of the war as "Ukraine clowns on Russians with superior technology."

It is genuinely unclear to me what people are supposed to be seeing in this image. I even zoomed in and still can't see anything that looks like (I guess?) human bodies where the red marks are.

At least with that one Tiananmen photo you can see the resemblance.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 10:34 on Mar 12, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

Just based on that article it was fine for loads when it came out just not modern ones. The main issue is cost, and I guess as someone mentioned, inertia.

Supposedly, the recoil was harsh because of its thin stock as well. The article kind of doesn't say either way because it is just talking about versus a Ruger for sports hunting.

(There are other issues why a military wouldn't like they: they are a bit akward to reload without a stripper clip, it is a more mechanically complex and open action, issues with shooting while prone, they're expensive etc. Ian from Forgotten Weapons claims they are a better combat rifle than a Mosin, but I really have a hard time seeing this. The only thing they have going for them them is quicker follow up shots while standing.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:59 on Mar 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

it’s a phone photo of something displayed on a computer monitor, so it’s super unclear and could definitely just be Arma 3 again