Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Quebec Bagnet posted:

More or less agreed. I was hoping it would be more fun than it was.

Personally I was turned off by the bear fight at the ranger station and the ambulance sequence which seemed mostly unnecessary and my opinion didn't really recover from it.

Weird, that was one of the few parts of the movie that worked for me lol

Basically any scene with Margot Martindale is what I wanted from this thing back-to-front.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Creed 3 - It was sad to not have Rocky around, especially since it was due to some producer bullshit instead of being a creative choice. Otherwise, this was a great entry in the series, giving Creed his best antagonist yet and having some satisfying fight scenes. There was one plot beat that hewed a little close to the formula killing off Mama Creed just to have a low point going into act 3 and the training montage was weaker than the previous two entries, though it was nice to have Drago back. Much has been made about the anime inspiration for the movie and I was expecting something even more stylized than what we got. I still kind of want a tourney arc set at the Olympics.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
RIPD (2013) - ACAB. Groanworthy right from the opening sequence, and does not improve. A handful of low-key chuckles, not at the jokes so much as the situational absurdity (the afterlife has Fresca). I do enjoy some good Boston landmark spotting, but this took it to the point of shameless pandering. This had the potential to be something, but was just a lovely MIB ripoff, and they didn't even make the effort to do a clever joke about it. Very disappointing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou Liked this way more than I thought I was going too. I keep saying that Murray is actually good in this movie, so at this point I probably just have to admit he is actually a good actor when he turns it on. All the dollhouse of the ship parts were great, as was Dafoe playing Klaus as the breakout supporting actor. Blanchett was a little off, but It almost works with how she's embedded into the crew instead of part of it. And the ending really hit. It seems that Baumbach really brings out the darkness in Anderson's work, which makes those grasps towards hope and happiness that much sweeter.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Now you have to watch the straight to Netflix RIPD2!!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Now you have to watch the straight to Netflix RIPD2!!

I saw that one at a friend's as background noise while we were building Gundams. It was extremely terrible.

Tenet. Quite the spectacle. Washington put in a great performance and it's always nice to see Pattinson not being a superhero. I had to put subtitles on to understand the dialog, Nolan's sound mixes are borderline impenetrable to me.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

I saw that one at a friend's as background noise while we were building Gundams. It was extremely terrible.

Tenet. Quite the spectacle. Washington put in a great performance and it's always nice to see Pattinson not being a superhero. I had to put subtitles on to understand the dialog, Nolan's sound mixes are borderline impenetrable to me.

It's not just you. It seems like every Nolan film, I'm struggling with hearing the dialogue and then the effects and music are INSANELY LOUD. It's bizarre.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DuhSal posted:

It's not just you. It seems like every Nolan film, I'm struggling with hearing the dialogue and then the effects and music are INSANELY LOUD. It's bizarre.

It's a deliberate choice and Nolan films keep getting nominated for and winning Sound Oscars.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If Nolan wants to gently caress up his own films more power to him, the fact that his egomania has grown so much that considers himself a modern Kubrick and then shut all over one of Kubrick's films to prove it is just revolting.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's a deliberate choice and Nolan films keep getting nominated for and winning Sound Oscars.

There's definitely a lot of sound in it, I can't argue with that!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Cocaine Bear - didn't work. Seemed to be trapped between trying to be goofy and a slash flick. Spent far too long on very dry scenes in which not much happened. They couldn't work out whether the bear was supposed to be funny or terrifying.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Banshees of Inisherin - Fell a little flat for me, get why some people would like it though. Siobhan was the most interesting character. One thing that I think really killed it for me was that you never saw any of the main characters working, I can see what they were going for instead but it made the whole film feel very staged.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 6, 2023

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Out of Africa (1985) - I feel conflicted about this one. First of all, the movie looks amazing. Great scenery, beautifully shot. I'm sure the performances are great. My cynicism just can't get past the fact that it's about a Danish Baroness running a plantation in British colonial Kenya. Like, sorry you lost your wealth and your side-piece, Lady. You know who doesn't have the luxury of navelgazing through life? Your personal chef whom you bullied into the job and keep berating for not cooking your Danish cuisine properly. The whole movie reminds me of the scene in Bridge over the River Kwai when Colonel Nicholson remarks about how much he adored India. That's nice, remind me again what you were doing in India, Colonel? By far the best moment was at the new years party when a drunk old lady whips out a gun and shoots it indoors to announce that it's time to sing God Save the Queen. Hilarious in context. The memoir it's based on sounds like it would be really interesting to read. I almost wish the movie had kept the non-linear narrative style. I suppose that would make it more like The English Patient. Definitely a product of it's time, but so is the movie. gently caress me it's almost 40 years old. :corsair:

*sips coffee*

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Heroic Trio: I'm not sure I was fully prepared for the sheer amount of... whatever this movie is. It's good but it's a lot.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Ha yeah also just watched Heroic Trio. It’s a bit convoluted for a while though it all simplifies out to heroes vs villain by the end. Last 30 minutes was a lot of fun. There’s some crazy stuff like the straight up murder of child soldiers and that poor train driver.

The whole thing kind of made me want to watch Big Trouble in Little China again. But cool seeing 3 female action leads kick rear end.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Manhunter it's crazy how different this is from Mann's other films whole still sharing the same core ideas. The way the backgrounds and lighting are composed feels closer to The Conformist than Thief. Absolutely insane soundtrack choices too, really cool watch.

Confess, Fletch Hamm is a worthy replacement for Chase even if the plot itself isn't as well considered as the original Fletch. Sad to see they set it out to die, we need more comedies in theatres.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

checkplease posted:

Ha yeah also just watched Heroic Trio. It’s a bit convoluted for a while though it all simplifies out to heroes vs villain by the end. Last 30 minutes was a lot of fun. There’s some crazy stuff like the straight up murder of child soldiers and that poor train driver.

The whole thing kind of made me want to watch Big Trouble in Little China again. But cool seeing 3 female action leads kick rear end.

Some of the art direction and the blending in of Wuxia and superhero tropes makes me wonder if the filmmakers were influenced by Burton's Batman and Dick Tracy and the whole little wave that followed that. (Wouldn't be the first time, there's one film I can't remember the name of that's literally just Wire-Fu Superman.)

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Midjack posted:

I saw Interstellar at the Chinese theater. Nolan personally supervised the way the sound mix would work in that theater. It was, honestly, pretty baffling. At the time, I was convinced it was because he did while the theater was empty and it sounded weird once it was full or something.

I'll be honest and say I don't really mind not being able to pick up on every word (I certainly couldn't on VHS. I guess I'm still used to it), but I have to wonder if he's hearing what the rest of us are hearing.

Gaius Marius posted:

Manhunter it's crazy how different this is from Mann's other films whole still sharing the same core ideas. The way the backgrounds and lighting are composed feels closer to The Conformist than Thief. Absolutely insane soundtrack choices too, really cool watch.

I completely love this movie for a lot of the same reasons you're mentioning here. It's like a movie from a parallel dimension with how it's just barely familiar but also... not.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 8, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Double Life of Véronique struggling to wrap my brain around this. Up there with Marienbad in the pure enigmatic category. The colors and the filters on the camera, the music. I feel like I understand the film and what the director is saying, but not in a way I can put into words.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Basic Instinct
Somehow this is the last Verhoeven film I haven't seen. I even watched Showgirls a year or two ago. I knew about this shot of course but otherwise had no idea what it was even about

Turns out the movie is loving great, as is the loving, of which there is a lot. I know it's a Verhoeven film but still. I think what mostly surpised me is just how good of a neo-noir flick it is, you've got your washed up detective, femme fatale, car following scenes, just way hornier. Pretty good mystery too. Was the ending supposed to be ambiguous or an implication that Catherine actually did kill everyone and set Beth up?

Your spoiler is the one and only answer. If you like hornier neo-noir flicks, the 90s was a good time for them - The Color of Night, Jade, Body of Evidence, Bound

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

theflyingexecutive posted:

Oh for sure I know it’s deliberate. I just don’t think it works that well or is good to listen to

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Your spoiler is the one and only answer. If you like hornier neo-noir flicks, the 90s was a good time for them - The Color of Night, Jade, Body of Evidence, Bound

I know it's the 80s, and early 80s at that, but Body Heat is another good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHNj3xJS89o#t=2m13s

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Burn After Reading I find this movie humorous but not funny, the set up takes too long, and the characters feel like they're trying too hard. Pitt especially is just the antithesis of funny.

Matchpoint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuCYkbACCes
Watched the movie because it got sampled in this song I heard and wanted to figure out what it was from. Enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. Gonna say something controversial, but I do sympathize with the MC despite being a cheater, murder of old ladies, and pregnant woman annihilator. Growing up poor, and then getting a shot at wealth is terrifying. He can't be real with anyone in that family or risk losing everything, and yet he cannot fit in on anything more than a superficial level. Look at how different he talks with Nola and with the Tennis Player he meets on the street, his whole manner totally changes.

He's never going to be happy in his position, that ring falling back was not a lucky break. He was reading C&P and the point of that novel makes it clear, he both wanted to be and should have been caught.

I do think the main actor could've been chosen a little better, he's got that English thousand yard stare of someone whose seen the sun set on the british empire. Which works well for the rich family scenes, and very poorly for the Nola scenes where he seems more intense than intensely in lust.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Fabelmans. Was not at all interested in this (I find Spielberg's style kind of meh) but it was the only non-kids movie at the cinema this week. Actually excellent and the minimal plot really allows the quality of the storytelling to shine through. A real capital M Movie

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chungking Express I preferred the first third over most of the second part excepting the ending. I would've rated the ending a zero if they hadn't got their own "your gonna miss your plane baby" ending. Movie reminded me a lot of Le Jetée, more than I was expecting. It even managed to not make playing the same song half a dozen times annoying. I will say it makes me fearful to watch a Wong Kar-wai film anywhere but the theatre. I do not think it would've been near as effective if not for the ability for the screen and music to overwhelm you with emotions.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

watch Fallen Angels

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Love Chunking. Love that the shop owner is only rational person.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Top Gun Maverick Best Picture for real.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Aftersun
Fuuuck.

Before touching on the actual themes, "summer holiday in Turkey with one parent in the mid 90s" is uhh a bit close. Although I was with my mom as dad rarely could take the time off during this period.

But yeah yikes. My dad also had issues with depression but is thankfully still with us. I don't think I picked up on anything when I was Sophie's age and it came up later pretty openly. Still it's very effective and i could totally empathize with the kid and especially adult Sophie reflecting on her memories with her dad.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Thanks!

Gaius Marius posted:

Top Gun Maverick Best Picture for real.
:hmmyes:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
65 the dinosaurs in this look absolutely dogshit, theyre disgusting little beasts from some vfx guys half remembered fever dream. "of all the planets to land on why did it have to be earth 65 million years ago, its full of dogshit dinosaurs" - adam driver character

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cashback A stunning treatise on why the British shouldn't be allowed to create movies.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Decision to Leave:
This film looks so good. There’s so many interesting shots and the camera will move in unexpected ways. The pace is surprisingly quick with fewer instance of dramatic pauses than you might expect.

Tang Wei is fantastic and I 100% believe wrecking your career and marriage for her here. Ending is beautiful and brutal and people should stop all these dramatic gestures and talk.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Carol I didn't know who Patricia Highsmith even was a month ago which is pretty sad considering just how prolific she is in the film space. Going into this film knowing who she was easily added another star. The constant expectation that the shoe was going to drop and tragedy unleashed gave every scene a deep sense of unease. When the revolver came out I was seriously thinking the movie would end in a double suicide like The Woman Next Door. And instead I get a poignant tale of two people stuck inside the rigidity of the system they live in managing to reach out and get a hold of each other. A lesbian period drama that portrays loneliness and despair without making unnecessary martyrs of their subjects. Even going so far as to steal the opening in media res shot and shoulder grasp from Brief Encounter, then swerve the drat truck around so we can get a drat happy ending.

There is however nothing proving that this isn't Linda Tar's brief fever dream after bonking herself on the concrete.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Gaius Marius posted:

There is however nothing proving that this isn't Linda Tar's brief fever dream after bonking herself on the concrete.

See also: Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Anime double bill at the Prince Charles Cinema in Leicester Square yesterday, while I'm down here to watch Dunkirk on 15/700 IMAX this morning.

First up was Perfect Blue (1997) - I think there was about five different fake outs in this movie, ranging from 'it was a dream', to 'you're actually watching a scene from an in-film TV show'. And in the end, there were three different characters having psychotic breaks - I enjoyed it, and didn't see the end coming. The film looked amazing, the establishing shots were so beautiful and melancholy. (Oh, and the scenes where Mena was setting up her Macintosh for the internet and painstakingly typing in h t t p : / / got some laughs.)

Second up, a 4K presentation of Akira. I've only seen this film once, and it was the DVD version about 20 yearsl ago while I was half asleep, so I was watching it for the first time. Another amazing looking and sounding film, and like Perfect Blue it played to an almost fully packed house. I've now realised that I have spent years believing Akira was the name of the protagonist, so good to sort that out.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Carpet posted:

First up was Perfect Blue (1997) - I think there was about five different fake outs in this movie, ranging from 'it was a dream', to 'you're actually watching a scene from an in-film TV show'. And in the end, there were three different characters having psychotic breaks - I enjoyed it, and didn't see the end coming. The film looked amazing, the establishing shots were so beautiful and melancholy. (Oh, and the scenes where Mena was setting up her Macintosh for the internet and painstakingly typing in h t t p : / / got some laughs.)

Satoshi Kon absolutely rules. If you haven't, see Millennium Actress - the number of fakeouts are significantly higher and it's a beautiful film.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The PCC is always a good time too.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Yeah I've ended up buying a membership there, because with trips for work, and going down for gigs, over the last year I would've more than made the annual £15 fee back.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Dunkirk on 15/70mm IMAX. I found the switches to IMAX framing more distracting in this one, at least compared to Interstellar and TENET. Seemed to be a big picture quality difference as well, thought I was watching 35mm blown up instead of 70mm. Odd.

Anyway, first time watching Dunkirk (despite having owned the 4k for a year) and felt like the least-Nolan Nolan film yet. Great cinematography from van Hoytema, as always, and appreciated the use of practical effects - I'm not sure they even changed the shots with Dunkirk town in the background, as some of the buildings looked more post-war. The sound and music design was also great, I picked up on the ticking effect and had that catharsis of it ending when they go to sleep on the train. And despite being a relatively straight forward wartime story, we can't help but get Nolan's obsession with time, but the way the three narrative threads converged was also very satisfying.

And then this afternoon I went and saw a 30th anniversary (to the day, as it turns out) screening of Sally Potter's Orlando, with a pre recorded discussion with Tilda Swinton. The director herself introduced the film, and I realised while I was standing in line at the popcorn counter that I was waiting behind her and the film's costume designer (and repeat Scorsese collaborator, and multiple Oscar winner, and recent Bafta fellowship-receiever) Sandy Powell, which was a pretty cool "oh yeah, I'm visiting London, and famous people actually live here" moment. I ended up sat a few seats down from her, and next to the film's foley artist, and apparently quite a few other members of the film's crew were present.

I only became aware of the film recently because someone, somewhere mentioned it, probably in a YouTube film video essay, and I'm glad I booked a ticket to see it - it was very fun, and I could see how it might have influenced things like Fleabag, what with its 4th wall-breaking looks to camera. Billy Zane even put in a decent performance, and I enjoyed playing "oh I recognise that face", though the only one I knew was a young Toby Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Man Who Loved Woman wasn't planning on seeing this as my next Truffaut but then I saw that Wes Anderson put it as one of his five for the S&S list.

And let me tell you. This movie is a decent if quote unquote dated comédie if you're just watching it straight. If you watch it as someone whose ensconced in Truffaut a work it becomes an incredibly fascinating look into the man and his relation with art and the semiautobiographical nature of much of his work as well as the role of self mythologizing and the discovery that you can draw out about yourself in the act of creating art.
The film has all of the latter Truffaut tropes, men being adult children playing with toys, the cold and ever distant mother figure, the desire to love someone but only being able to find fascination with the unknowable instead of the known. But the self reflective nature of it gives the whole work and odd feeling, it becomes hard to see where he's exploring himself and when he's commenting on what commenters comment about him. The scene towards the end where the MC literally rewrites history in the story for inscrutable reasons really makes the film.

Chungking Express You really appreciate some of the smaller things seeing it again. The stewardess winning the stuffed tiger in the first half for example. I did attend this screening with a friend of mine and I usually don't talk about it because I don't want to put words in their mouths. But after exiting we were talking in the car and she tells me. "Yeah it was great, she really changed when she dropped the wig and started working at the restaurant." I couldn't understand what she meant for a minute until It dawned on me that she thought the blonde and Faye were the same character. A wrong but hilarious reading of the film.

Fallen Angels I like the idea of this movie; creating a sort of inverse Chungking Express where the setting, themes and characters are all inversions or recastings of the people in the first. A sort of Antiterran version where the cops are criminals, the day is night, and the pangings for love and human connection serve to further isolate and serve to drive the most self destructive of impulses.

The most interesting of all these is the way the assassin's assistant inverted Faye Wong's character. Both of them lead parallel, non cohabitive life with their object of affection by inhabiting the same space, however where Faye's goal was altruistic in that she was attempting to not only gain a space in the Cops heart that was occupied by his lost Flight Attendant, but also to help him move on from the sadness and ennui that set in on her departure. The assistants moves in the apartment are literally and figuratively masturbatory; they serve to gratify herself alone without the messiness of any actual human connection. In the end she'd rather see the man dead then being outside of the purely illusory relationship she's imagined herself in.

It's all interesting in concept, but I don't think it works out all that great in the film. The Mute guy's whole story just isn't all that interesting. You get a little bit of a high point when he finally realizes what his father meant to him, the singular point when it seems any of the characters realize what Real Love is versus the simulacrum they've imagined in their heads. But searching for Johnny with Charlie felt more like filler or perhaps doubling up on your meaning too much, the whole shop stealing scenario was just boring and overly obvious (and I say this about a series that has a man waiting for his relationship with May to expire by literally looking at a May expiration date), Blondie was fun and leaving it open if she really had been in a relationship with our contract killer or if she was another substituting an imagined connection for a real one is fun, but I can't help but feel the movie didn't do her justice.

As a whole I think it's one of those movies that's more interesting to think about then it is to watch, which is sad. It's got quote unquote Vibes, great cinematography, and some great performances. But I didn't feel anything watching it...at all. No sympathy or empathy, not remembrance of the lost loves of my youth, no stabs of regrets previously buried in my heart resurfacing. Just pure intellectual "Huh, that was neat I guess"

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 15, 2023