Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

big fan of those tusken muskets, urge to roll a sniper trooper is rising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Sombrerotron posted:

The thought's occurred to me before that they should institute a tax system where for any given period of time spent in-game, some percentage (dependent on how much you have) of your character's credits is automatically removed.

That seems like it would be adding a lot of calculations that the game would have to make all of the time. Doesn't seem like it would be good for performance.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

four words: high stakes slot machines

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ainsley McTree posted:

four words: high stakes slot machines

Turn credits into cartel coins, costs 1bn credits per slot machine pull, 5% chance to get cartel coins

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

They need to make some super expensive things that appeal to the people like me. Quick travel costs won't make a dent in the 30 billion I'm sitting on. Things I've suggested in the past

I don't even really quick travel since I haven't lvled a new character in a long while, I mostly just bounce between stronghold and fleet.

They could charge and absurd amount of credits to change your second combat discipline or unlock a third one.

I'd pay good credits to get Fleet chat and mission terminals in my Stronghold.

Heh they could drain a lot of credits by making non-hood versions of several armors. Or make stuff like Dark Gray primary and secondary dyes craftable but make it obscene like gold augments.

Some sort of unlock to get priority in stuff like FP queues.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I'd pay good credits to get Fleet chat and mission terminals in my Stronghold.

This is why I ultimately just stay on my Fleet Apartment. Got all the strongholds unlocked, some decorated like crazy, but if I'm waiting around for a PUG I have to be in the fleet.

I look forward to buying the Mek-Sha apartment, unlocking any extra rooms, setting up cargo bays and a mailbox and then never returning.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

They could charge and absurd amount of credits to change your second combat discipline or unlock a third one.

This, but maybe the third special unlock is several billion but you can use any style regardless of origin

Beskar blade anni mara bounty hunter LEEEEETS GOOOOOO

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jokes posted:

Turn credits into cartel coins, costs 1bn credits per slot machine pull, 5% chance to get cartel coins
Basically any way to turn credits into the other currencies used to buy items like from the Bounty Hunter's Guild vendors etc would be pretty cool. Have a shady dude hanging out behind a crate who'll sell you a quater of a Cartel Market Certificate for a million or something.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

You could always send me, a lonely 'That's No Goon' friend large lump sums! I could spend it on fashion and you'll have a money sink! Win win ;)

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
Actually if BW wants me to sink some credits how about letting me make a fat, purple Rodian player character?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Any time I've asked about Rodians people keep telling me they're not sexy enough. The internet is infested with anti-Rodian racists.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Actually if BW wants me to sink some credits how about letting me make a fat, purple Rodian player character?

They always said there are 3 rules for new races -

- Must speak basic so existing VAs can be used
- Must have the same human form so existing body types can be used
- Must have human lips for romance/kissing scenes.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Medullah posted:

So...Devaronians when?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

Fun fact: Rodians are now allowed to speak Basic in Star Wars since the TV shows have broken the seal on it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pryce posted:

Fun fact: Rodians are now allowed to speak Basic in Star Wars since the TV shows have broken the seal on it.

This comes from Pryce 2020 I'd say Rodian PC confirmed

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If anyone needs a credit sink, DM me :wink:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

It is pretty wild to me. I've played this game on and off since it came out but I'm really in there now and have made like 600 million credits and never before have I had more than 900k. So of course right when I figure out how to make some money they are gonna change it on me lol.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Ortolan.

Also I still want a dance platform mount and would pay obscene amounts of credits for it if I have to.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

That's racist. Or speciest, whatever I just want to remake my SW:G Weaponsmith.

Why human lips when his only purpose would be teabagging shitters in PvP in the skimpiest outfit I can make?

I've been asking for an Ortolan companion for years.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I really like this game but I wish they hadn’t made the change to leveling. I know I’m in an EXTREME minority here but I like doing a bunch of quests wherever I go. It silly but I feel with the changes they made a while back, doing side quests is largely a waste of time while leveling a new character

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I have come to the realization that I am very very bad at arena and honestly I don't feel like putting in the effort to get better.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Andor pistol sooooooon

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

how do i unlock the darkside classes for lightside faction? i have all classes for darkside but im missing the the jedi versions of sith classes

Kly fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 23, 2023

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kly posted:

how do i unlock the darkside classes for lightside faction? i have all classes for darkside but im missing the the jedi versions of sith classes

You have to max out darkside (lvl 5) on a character. Choose darkside options in missions and flashpoints, do diplomacy crew skill missions, etc.

Or, if your legacy is high enough level, pay a bunch of credits (like 1 or 2 million?)

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The new freeform class system has me interested in playing this again while XIV is in a content lull. Last time I touched the game was I think during KoFE. Is this a terrible idea?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Bloody Pom posted:

The new freeform class system has me interested in playing this again while XIV is in a content lull. Last time I touched the game was I think during KoFE. Is this a terrible idea?

Nah, you got quite a bit to do if that’s where you stopped.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Bloody Pom posted:

Well it's an MMO so I would posit that the idea is inherently terrible, but I think mechanically the game is in a good place, there's a considerable amount of post-KotFE/KotET content to go through, and the next Galactic Seasons run will probably be upon us quite soon, so if you enjoyed SWTOR before I'd say now's as good a time as any to return to it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I played the game on launch, popped back on and off through the teens, and now I feel like I'm fully in. I'm playing every day, doing weeklies and daylies, pvp matches and I feel like just so in. There is like a zen you go into. Also if you play pvp turn off chat, those folks are toxic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just turn public chat off entirely TBH. There's nothing of value in there.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
For some reason I'm thinking about loving around a bit with this game again. Got some questions.

Planning on starting a character from scratch and play the story while doing some PvP on the way.

Reading the OP things seem to have changed a lot since I last played. So I have questions.

- I have a couple of lvl 70 characters since earlier. I plan to delete them. But, what resources might they be sitting on that would be useful for a new character and how do I get the useful stuff over to the new one? Assume I have no clue about how the game works.

- Is there still such a thing as lightning sorcerer and is it still ok for PvP? What other classes would you suggest for being "useful" in PvP? I don't mind playing something that is underplayed as long as it contributes. Thinking Empire.

- Are guilds global or do I need to get on the US server to join the goon guild? And can I even as a Euro?

- Anything else?

Thanks!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

InAndOutBrennan posted:

For some reason I'm thinking about loving around a bit with this game again. Got some questions.

Planning on starting a character from scratch and play the story while doing some PvP on the way.

Reading the OP things seem to have changed a lot since I last played. So I have questions.

- I have a couple of lvl 70 characters since earlier. I plan to delete them. But, what resources might they be sitting on that would be useful for a new character and how do I get the useful stuff over to the new one? Assume I have no clue about how the game works.

- Is there still such a thing as lightning sorcerer and is it still ok for PvP? What other classes would you suggest for being "useful" in PvP? I don't mind playing something that is underplayed as long as it contributes. Thinking Empire.

- Are guilds global or do I need to get on the US server to join the goon guild? And can I even as a Euro?

- Anything else?

Thanks!
1. Good news! For crafting materials, there's a legacy-wide (i.e. universal for all characters on the same server) and bottomless repository nowadays. If you have any mats in your inventory, you can use the diamond-and-arrow icon in the top-left corner of the inventory window to transfer them to said repository. You may have to right-click it and select Artifact or Legendary Quality to ensure all mats are actually moved over. The regular diamond icon to its right opens up the materials inventory and if need be you can withdraw mats from it again, for example to sell them on the GTN. Be sure to check a character's cargo hold to see if there's still any mats in there that you may want to preserve.

Apart from that, any item you still have that is "Bound to Legacy" may be worth sending to another character or storing in your Legacy cargo bay. Such items can be used by any character on the same server, regardless of faction. In case of weapons and armour, you can even apply them to the outfits of multiple characters. Be sure to also save any kind of currency-type item that for whatever reason doesn't actually end up in your inventory's Currency tab, either. There's not many of them anymore, but a few remain (such as KDY Construction Kits).

2. All the old classes (nowadays referred to as origin stories) and advanced classes (combat styles) are still there, but can now mix-and-match them to some degree. Can't help you with PvP because I practically never PvP, but to be honest I'd just try out any character you enjoy playing and see how it goes.

3. Guilds are server-restricted, so for That's No Goon (Empire) and Goon Squad (Republic) you'd need to get your character(s) onto the U.S. server Star Forge. Being in Europe isn't a problem for that, although of course it does mean you'll have a higher ping which may be a bit of an issue if you think PvP might become something you'd like to do a lot. Also it must be said that both guilds are basically dead, so you may want to keep that in mind before choosing a server. Still, if you're just happy to be in a goon guild or are actually willing to put in some effort at getting people to play together again, go for it. I'm in Europe myself and am certainly amenable to grouping up at normal hours.

4. There's potentially tons of stuff that you may find useful or interesting to know, but I think you may as well just get started and refamiliarise yourself with the game a bit first. Galactic Seasons and the first PvP Season have just ended, so there's no big game systems to worry about at this moment and you can just do whatever you like without worrying about maybe missing out on any rewards later.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Thanks buddy!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I wouldn't recommend swapping serves just to be with Goons, I think theres less than 10 of us that still play, and I barely play these days.

Hop in our discord, I think more people chat there than in actual game

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Ok, thanks!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

InAndOutBrennan posted:

- Anything else?

Thanks!

If they have anything like tech fragments, daily matrixes, fp-1 tokens and the pvp token they should be linked to any legacy character. Otherwise if they are really old and have the old currency like what you used to need to use to get good companion gifts they have vendors set up on the fleet to spend that.

You can use any class if you've unlocked it for any character. So basically I can make a Sith Jedi Guardian or a Jedi Lightning Sorcerer. As for PVP my experience has been that sorcerer's make good healers on pvp.

There are global guilds but they are tied to factions. So I am part of a guild for my republic characters and a different one for my Empire characters.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Also I can't recommend SWTORISTA enough. I have played this game on and off since 2011 and only got into PVP this year but I feel like I've caught up thanks to her help. She has a ton of video tutorials on youtube and written tutorials on her website that are written as if the reader is a 5 year old and really breaks it down step by step. She taught me all about tacticals, which gear to get depending on the game mode i'm playing and how to get it and where to go. It's even got pictures to really help. I love her stuff

Pryce
May 21, 2011

InAndOutBrennan posted:

I'm not 100% positive on this, but don't delete them till AFTER you've made a new character; if you delete all your characters on a server you'll lose your Legacy progress/unlocks. Someone who's played more recently than me can probably confirm but better to be safe than sorry.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Shard posted:

If they have anything like tech fragments, daily matrixes, fp-1 tokens and the pvp token they should be linked to any legacy character. Otherwise if they are really old and have the old currency like what you used to need to use to get good companion gifts they have vendors set up on the fleet to spend that.

You can use any class if you've unlocked it for any character. So basically I can make a Sith Jedi Guardian or a Jedi Lightning Sorcerer. As for PVP my experience has been that sorcerer's make good healers on pvp.

There are global guilds but they are tied to factions. So I am part of a guild for my republic characters and a different one for my Empire characters.

I have a sorcerer that I kinda split 50/50 healing and dps and I get laser focused in pvp when I'm healing. I can sit in a corner and poo poo out lightning bolts but as soon as they see some green I get murdered. It's still fun though

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

I have a sorcerer that I kinda split 50/50 healing and dps and I get laser focused in pvp when I'm healing. I can sit in a corner and poo poo out lightning bolts but as soon as they see some green I get murdered. It's still fun though

If you ever see a Merc named Jai in pvp that's me. I also like to try to keep my pvp chat light. I've kinda taken it on me to keep the toxicity down. I can't stand folks who lose and then go man this entire team sucks. I've been told to kill myself at one point. And they yell at anyone with gear under 324. And I'm just like dude did you even try to explain it? Also it's just a loving game why are you so mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm not on the goon server but I appreciate you not being a dick to people.