Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: and to be clear, the new chipset drivers essentially already do automatically process lasso the cores to one CCD when gaming on an X3D chip. Or they're supposed to. Sometimes this seems to break and some games don't run on the correct CCD, but that issue will hopefully get ironed out over time.

I tried out Forza Horizon 5 with the 7950x3d and it automatically used the 3d cores.

e: also, I don't know if I was seeing things or just misremembering, but it appeared to use the non-3d cores when compiling shaders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I don't think Sony has total exclusives anymore. I think they saw the light (or, perhaps they greedily saw the opportunity to double-dip to fatten their bottom line) of bringing games to PC to extend the tail on games.

I belieeeeve? Some of those games were eligible for a PC port at some point, based on the leak from last year where someone pulled the titles from GeForce Now's store.

And then there are those just too big to have anything other than timed exclusivity, like FF7R2, FFXVI, and Demon's Souls Remake. Tentatively Spodermang 2 as well.

In contrast to previous installments, Capcom outright rejected exclusivity for Street Fighter 6, they are going WIDE on release with PS4/5, Xbox X/S, and PC with fully-integrated crossplay.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 12, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah that wikipedia page is only counting games that are strictly only available on the PS5, and not games that target the PS5 specs but are available elsewhere (e.g. returnal)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
That list also has at least one game (FFXVI) which we explicitly know there's a PC port coming...just not for over a year as YoshiP just said they did a ton of optimizing for PS5 and would need to spend a lot of time reworking the game for PCs

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't think Sony has total exclusives anymore. I think they saw the light (or, perhaps they greedily saw the opportunity to double-dip to fatten their bottom line) of bringing games to PC to extend the tail on games.

I belieeeeve? Some of those games were eligible for a PC port at some point, based on the leak from last year where someone pulled the titles from GeForce Now's store.

And then there are those just too big to have anything other than timed exclusivity, like FF7R2, FFXVI, and Demon's Souls Remake. Tentatively Spodermang 2 as well.

In contrast to previous installments, Capcom outright rejected exclusivity for Street Fighter 6, they are going WIDE on release with PS4/5, Xbox X/S, and PC with fully-integrated crossplay.

At most I think Sony does timed exclusives, where it might be available on PS5 for 6 months, 12 months, whatever. Sometimes this is probably the true reason, and other times it's probably just them taking advantage of the time needed to port a game to another platform, but calling it the "exclusive" period.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

MagusDraco posted:

That list also has at least one game (FFXVI) which we explicitly know there's a PC port coming...just not for over a year as YoshiP just said they did a ton of optimizing for PS5 and would need to spend a lot of time reworking the game for PCs

lol

He only said that because he can't just go out and say Sony paid for the year. It was the same situation with VIIr and we only know this because Microsoft had to force this fact out via subpoena

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Why have exclusives anymore when people buy the console anyway? The point of having exclusives was first to sell the console, then it was to tie people to your ecosystem, but now there's so much accumulated history they don't need to do that anymore. The product is more than sticky enough already. Also, AAA games are so horrifyingly expensive to develop now that you absolutely need the biggest addressable market possible, so from the developer's point of view agreeing to be exclusive is a worse deal than ever.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 12, 2023

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

TheFluff posted:

Why have exclusives anymore when people buy the console anyway?

If you're someone who only cares about final fantasy games, you probably haven't bought a PS5 yet, but you're gonna buy one to play the new games right away

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TheFluff posted:

Why have exclusives anymore when people buy the console anyway? The point of having exclusives was first to sell the console, then it was to tie people to your ecosystem, but now there's so much accumulated history they don't need to do that anymore. The product is more than sticky enough already. Also, AAA games are so horrifyingly expensive to develop now that you absolutely need the biggest addressable market possible, so from the developer's point of view agreeing to be exclusive is a worse deal than ever.

How is Nintendo able to get away with mostly exclusives when nobody else can?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Twerk from Home posted:

Because few other people make the big budget games in the genre/style Nintendo does. Also, no one else has as wide spread appeal characters.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

They are targeting a different demographic, that's the long and short of it. This demographic is just as big as the one for PS/Xbox, if not even bigger. They don't post on forums like this one so you don't get to bask in their unwashed stink

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kibner posted:

Because few other people make the big budget games in the genre/style Nintendo does. Also, no one else has as wide spread appeal characters.

nintendo "big budget" is probably also cheaper than general AAA "big budget" since they don't chase high fidelity

partly for artistic reasons but also out of necessity since their system is a potato

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

repiv posted:

nintendo "big budget" is probably also cheaper than general AAA "big budget" since they don't chase high fidelity

partly for artistic reasons but also out of necessity since their system is a potato

Switch is the newest console I own. Xbox 360 is the next newest. Nintendo has games others don't, although their prices are obscene, (hello early Switch with unpatchable firmware exploit!) there are games there you simply won't find elsewhere until emulation is good.
That's their model I guess, they are big enough to do their own thing, they price high, they have classic franchises people are interested in, and in recent times (since the Wii) they've added unusual control schemes that make games more complicated to port

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TheFluff posted:

You underestimate the power of "FIRST!".

I am a sclerotic gamer that tends to buy games two, three years after they've come out, but even I fall victim to wanting to enjoy the zeitgeist of that initial shared discovery period.

poo poo, we got entire forums dedicated to extrombulating about games at length specifically for that purpose, and for anyone else who comes along to the game afterwards. (no, that's not a real word, I can't remember the word that I am thinking of, but it does end in '-ulating'.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 13, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TheFluff posted:

Because Microsoft and Sony will pay for those exclusives (well Sony will, Microsoft will just buy the whole studio) and also throw their weight behind the marketing. You see this in a lot of Square's Switch exclusives like Octopath Traveller and the Live A Live remake where Nintendo was marketing the hell out of both games, then when Octopath 2 comes out with no exclusive deal it falls on its face because Square apparently forgot to do any promotion for it. With the PS5 specifically there's no guarantee any first party game will come to PC with several years, like I don't expect Gran Turismo 7 (the game I bought a PS5 for) to ever be on PC and the Demon's Souls remake is approaching the point where if it hasn't happened by now it's probably not ever happening. For Final Fantasy especially I want to play FF7 Rebirth as soon as it comes out instead of waiting over a year for the PC version to come to Steam like Remake, same with FF16.

Also I like playing games on the TV and sofa and the PC still kinda sucks for that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

njsykora posted:

You see this in a lot of Square's Switch exclusives like Octopath Traveller and the Live A Live remake where Nintendo was marketing the hell out of both games, then when Octopath 2 comes out with no exclusive deal it falls on its face because Square apparently forgot to do any promotion for it.

Which especially sucks since Octopath 2 is such a better game than the first.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
My point is mainly that exclusives are much less of a thing now than they used to be. There are technical reasons too - consoles used to have very different hardware, now it's all x86 and standardized graphics API's, and it's only the Switch that is the odd one out with ARM. On the economical side of things, game studios are bigger than they used to be and games cost more to make, so getting an exclusive deal is more expensive to the console manufacturer, while at the same time there is less need for exclusives as a marketing tool. You only really need a few big brand name titles with a huge fan following. To the studio it seems to me like going exclusive is kind of a less risk but also smaller potential profit kind of deal; you get safe money from the exclusive deal but your potential market reach gets smaller and by the time the exclusive period is up people might be less interested in your game. I

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

njsykora posted:

Also I like playing games on the TV and sofa and the PC still kinda sucks for that.

Eh, it doesn't. I know it's a niche thing for whatever reason, but I think it's pretty great.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

lol

He only said that because he can't just go out and say Sony paid for the year. It was the same situation with VIIr and we only know this because Microsoft had to force this fact out via subpoena

He in the same breath said sony had a 6 month exclusivity agreement so kinda weird the other six would be secret but I've seen stupider stuff in the video game industry

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

HalloKitty posted:

Eh, it doesn't. I know it's a niche thing for whatever reason, but I think it's pretty great.

Windows’ dodgy bluetooth support alone makes it more trouble that it has to be.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Most half-decent wireless keyboards / mice / gamepads / headsets have dedicated dongles these days, no Windows interference necessary

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, the exclusivity agreement is publicly known, and it's six months. YoshiP says the reason why the PC version isn't coming out exactly six months later is that he doesn't want to attract any attention away from the PS5 version considering how much effort his team has put into it. It's a rather strange answer, but reading into it, I assume that he just doesn't place much importance on a PC port, and his team is probably focusing mainly on the PS5 version right now. They'll turn to the PC version after the PS5's release. S-E is also probably still worried about piracy on the PC taking sales away from the console version.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
he's clarified more recently that it's just that it will take more than 6 months to do the pc port because they've been so heavily focused only on the ps5 version. probably for the best that they're giving it the time it needs given the quality of square enix's pc ports recently

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

njsykora posted:

I'd only use Xbox controllers with the official dongles, no problems (both 360 and one+)

My favoured setup is a newer xbox controller (whatever you're supposed to call them) with the chatpad attachment.

Have gopher360 run on startup and you have full control without needing some clumsy keyboard or whatever

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 13, 2023

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

njsykora posted:

It has gotten much much much better in recent years to the point that every single PC game I've gotten has all been played from the couch. Even world of warcraft. My PC has not been at the desk since before Christmas. Grab a wireless keyboard with integrated trackpad (something like a logitech K400+) & a Xbone controller, and kick back. It's the best way to enjoy those fancy 4K120 VRR tvs (and hdr!)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

Every OS has dodgy bluetooth support, because the entire protocol is a gently caress.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, the exclusivity agreement is publicly known, and it's six months. YoshiP says the reason why the PC version isn't coming out exactly six months later is that he doesn't want to attract any attention away from the PS5 version considering how much effort his team has put into it. It's a rather strange answer, but reading into it, I assume that he just doesn't place much importance on a PC port, and his team is probably focusing mainly on the PS5 version right now. They'll turn to the PC version after the PS5's release. S-E is also probably still worried about piracy on the PC taking sales away from the console version.
Counterpoint: They have to ask LLVM to build PE32+ binaries instead of ELF binaries.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It has gotten much much much better in recent years to the point that every single PC game I've gotten has all been played from the couch. Even world of warcraft. My PC has not been at the desk since before Christmas. Grab a wireless keyboard with integrated trackpad (something like a logitech K400+) & a Xbone controller, and kick back. It's the best way to enjoy those fancy 4K120 VRR tvs (and hdr!)

Every time I have tried to play PC games on my TV invariable it starts doing weird poo poo with like frames skipping around or repeating or something until it becomes unusable. My consoles just work.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Either your TV is a piece of poo poo or you're doing something very wrong. It's not any harder to get your PC to work with a TV than with a monitor, aside from TV-end stuff that you most certainly need to do for a console anyway. There's no difference between the output from a PC and the output from a console. The only thing that might be harder on PC is controlling when and how the TV wakes and sleeps.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
PC is really easy to get on TV, but an Xbox with gamepass is such a low bar to play a game for 10-20 minutes while you wait for your next "Kids need to be taxi'd somewhere" event. I still do both but a console still has a well worn place in the living room.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

carry on then posted:

Every time I have tried to play PC games on my TV invariable it starts doing weird poo poo with like frames skipping around or repeating or something until it becomes unusable. My consoles just work.

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on here, never seen anything like it

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

carry on then posted:

pebkac

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
sometimes you have to specify your hdmi input as a "pc" device to get the full experience. at least on lg tv's

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

carry on then posted:

I can only imagine that either your CPU or video card is drastically overheating or otherwise on the brink of death, or else your GPU's output port/your TV's input port (or the cable that runs between them) has a really bad short in it somewhere.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I can only imagine that either your CPU or video card is drastically overheating or otherwise on the brink of death, or else your GPU's output port/your TV's input port (or the cable that runs between them) has a really bad short in it somewhere.

This issue does not happen with the PC hooked up to my 2 4K monitors, nor does it happen with any console hooked up to my TV.

My overall point is that PC gaming on TVs, and really PC gaming in general, is so full of weird classes of problems like this that don't affect many people individually but in aggregate provide an obnoxious experience where you spend a lot more time diagnosing poo poo than actually playing a god damned game. And when you finally hit an issue you can't fix, you get unhelpful shitheads like

showing up because your problem has not personally happened to them and therefore is invalid.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Unless you want an extra 100-200ms of input lag, you'd want some sort of game mode regardless of pc or console. Separate pc mode sometimes has that bundled in but usually just forces 4:4:4 chroma

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

carry on then posted:

So I'm really hoping this isn't your problem, but my piece of poo poo Vizio overheats if you feed it 4:4:4 4k input like a PC would do. It does it faster and more often when it's warm, and less during winter. People got motherboards swapped during warranty but the problem just comes back.

It freezes and looks like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/VIZIO_Official/comments/9khidv/m65d0_randomly_freezing_and_rebooting/

Apparently you can reflow the motherboard to fix it for a while, but I just signed and only feed it 1080p from a computer. As long as I just feed it 4:2:0 video it only does it once in a blue moon.

TV quality varies way more than monitors because they're so cheap now.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

it could also just be a bad hdmi cable or a hdmi cable that's not able to maintain throughput over a long distance if you're going from PC to TV and there's a long distance between them (the cable is longer than 15-20 feet)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Installed the 7950X3D and stuff. Idle power draw at the socket dropped from 250W to 200W (includes modem, UPS and poo poo), compared to my 2950X before. Yikes :catstare: Haven't upclocked my ECC DIMMs yet, tho.

Also shat my pants for a moment as to why my GPU didn't fit. Turns out the PCIe slots moved one over by now. Despite my previous Threadripper being chonky AF.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MagusDraco posted:

it could also just be a bad hdmi cable or a hdmi cable that's not able to maintain throughput over a long distance if you're going from PC to TV and there's a long distance between them (the cable is longer than 15-20 feet)
I've had weird HDMI problems tracked down to lovely cables before too. That would be my first thing to check, regardless of the length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

carry on then posted:

This issue does not happen with the PC hooked up to my 2 4K monitors, nor does it happen with any console hooked up to my TV.

My overall point is that PC gaming on TVs, and really PC gaming in general, is so full of weird classes of problems like this that don't affect many people individually but in aggregate provide an obnoxious experience where you spend a lot more time diagnosing poo poo than actually playing a god damned game. And when you finally hit an issue you can't fix, you get unhelpful shitheads like

showing up because your problem has not personally happened to them and therefore is invalid.

I mean, I don't discount your issues, but for roughly the last three years or so I've been using a 43" TV as my PC's primary display (first a TCL Roku TV, now a Samsung) and other than the first one eventually crapping out after like 5 years or so, I've had zero problems with games or anything else. It could be any of a number of variables that's giving you this particular problem, but I wouldn't say it was particular to PC gaming on a TV as a whole.