Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Anyone who thinks "surely they wouldn't actually destroy the sustainability of the very workers they need in order to survive" should take a look at global environments and ecosystems sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So how do you get koreans, Chinese, and japanese people to reproduce?

MDMA? in the water supply

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Fur20 posted:

well sure but i mean like in the context of japan actively wanting to attract highly skilled talent, and then they make the bar so impossibly high that non-millionaire literal geniuses can only just barely make the cut

It's not really that hard to get the highly skilled professional visa. I could have got one, and I'm far from a millionaire.

It's basically either having the right education plus experience, or high salary. Being young helps a bit.

The real path for wealthy people to buy their way in is the business manager visa. You just have to set up a company and hire a couple of full time employees. That's what Pewdiepie did.

The reason these visas are going to pull in many high rollers is that the bureaucracy and inconveniences are more than most people will want to deal with, unless they're a bit weebie.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ups_rail posted:

Complete overhaul of their societies, work practices, conditions and pay and views on women.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Complete overhaul of their societies, work practices, conditions and pay and views on women.

Look, if you can't stand all day in heels, then maybe working isn't for you? Now scoot your little babymaker out of my office and fetch us some tea, would you?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Xi: "so I m hearing we need to ban anime and shame people"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Borscht posted:

It also has the highest suicide rate amongst women and girls in the world and has had for at least 10 years. It's almost twice as high as the second highest country (Belgium) and is a big contribution to making a Korea number one overall. But hey, Korean beauty products are second to none as well and it has the highest rate of plastic surgery worldwide too. But I'm sure those things aren't related at all.

Every time this is brought up I am reminded of that woman who was adopted and grew up in Sweden, basically hates it and moved to SK (found her bio family) and loves it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ups_rail posted:

I don't really think we should try and get people to reproduce more TBH. Less workers around also means they have a better barganing position for wages etc.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

His Divine Shadow posted:

Every time this is brought up I am reminded of that woman who was adopted and grew up in Sweden, basically hates it and moved to SK (found her bio family) and loves it.

There's a reason why nerdy white guys do well with local women out here. Yeah, if you're good looking and confident with women back home, you can do well with women out here too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I don't really follow you. What do nerdy white guys have to do with a swedish woman who moved back to south korea where she was adopted from?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

As a stupid 3rd party observer I wish both of you would be a little more direct/clear so I would know what the gently caress I'm reading about lol

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Are there many nerdy white guys in Sweden?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I don't really think we should try and get people to reproduce more TBH. Less workers around also means they have a better barganing position for wages etc.

yes and no.

replacement rate is over 2 children per house hold because you need to replace mommy and daddy but not all kids will live to reproduce.

If people have just 1 child, then the population halves but worse you have a older non working population that needs to be taken care of. So imagine the strain of young people having to care for their elders, themselves, and their children if they have any.

Granted I m not arguing for population growth but asia's demographics seem depressing

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
generally, working conditions get better if labor supply decreases with respect to labor demand. witness the insane cushiness of big tech programmer jobs...

the actual labor conditions in viciously profit maximizing nursing homes in america seem to be pretty uniformly poo poo currently, but the pay at least seems to be forced to be rapidly improving by dint of there being no nurses left to do it anymore. nursing homes are vastly rarer in east asia currently but they will become less rare guaranteed

this involves some cruelty to old peeps but having known scores of korean old peeps well i dont really give a gently caress

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 12, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

PinheadSlim posted:

As a stupid 3rd party observer I wish both of you would be a little more direct/clear so I would know what the gently caress I'm reading about lol

I dunno if there was any deeper meaning to anything I said than I read in the thread about how poo poo it is for women in South Korea and other places. Which reminded me of the woman who did the reverse and moved from Sweden where she had lived since a baby, to South Korea, where she was adopted from. And she loved living there, even though she didn't even speak korean and talked about how little they had materially and how hard you had to work, and said she hated growing up in Sweden.

I just found that weird, that woman going against the conventional stream, but I assume it might have something to do with being a visual minority in her home countyr and possibly never being made to feel like she was part .

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they got racism in europe too. true human universal, unfortunately

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ups_rail posted:

yes and no.

replacement rate is over 2 children per house hold because you need to replace mommy and daddy but not all kids will live to reproduce.

If people have just 1 child, then the population halves but worse you have a older non working population that needs to be taken care of. So imagine the strain of young people having to care for their elders, themselves, and their children if they have any.

Granted I m not arguing for population growth but asia's demographics seem depressing

Yeah I know not much better in Finland, meanwhile Sweden and Norway look to be doing fine. But they take in more immigrants and Norway does have it's sovereign oil funds and the ability to generously fund a sparsely populated country of small villages with high living standards instead of doing all economic investment in a few cities which results in higher native population growth. In Finland a lot of the women move to a few big cities for education/economic opportunities and there they don't have many kids, if any it all.

By 2050 80% of our population will not be part of the workforce. Does make me think of moving to Sweden or Norway sometimes for the sake of my own kids. Which would be easy for me since I speak swedish natively.

Regardless the solution is more immigrants to make up for it, and productivity gains to make more with less people. And perhaps some degrowth-ish lifestyle choices. We can all, particularly we in the west, learn to live with less consumption and enjoy more free time instead.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I dunno if there was any deeper meaning to anything I said than I read in the thread about how poo poo it is for women in South Korea and other places. Which reminded me of the woman who did the reverse and moved from Sweden where she had lived since a baby, to South Korea, where she was adopted from. And she loved living there, even though she didn't even speak korean and talked about how little they had materially and how hard you had to work, and said she hated growing up in Sweden.

I just found that weird, that woman going against the conventional stream, but I assume it might have something to do with being a visual minority in her home countyr and possibly never being made to feel like she was part .

Thanks for being patient with me, appreciated :cheers:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Personally l think that if you treat women better and equal and give them education and control over their social life and finances then they will have even fewer children.
Source: most developed countries

The problem isn't a small population, the problem is the demographic imbalance (too many olds).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Destroy the forty million olds

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

the olds do got booze and cigarettes

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
France breaks the trend because there’s state supported child rearing. Which gives parents not just an economic break, but rest. Since there’s already a paid care taker, why not have another kid?

Abundance of olds and their related social welfare do take money from other government expenditures but that’s a symptom not a cause.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

peanut posted:

Personally l think that if you treat women better and equal and give them education and control over their social life and finances then they will have even fewer children.

The problem isn't a small population, the problem is the demographic imbalance (too many olds).

Step one is not killing them in the womb. I've read that the figure is 100 million worldwide, but that number just boggles my mind. Is there any evidence that it is lower?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

peanut posted:

If you ask women how many children they want to have, it's usually more than they have had/are planning to. "Educating women and putting them in the workforce" brings your replacement rate from 4 or 5 to 2. "Having childcare, housing, and the ability to work and be a parent" determines if its about 1.8 or 1.0

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
edit: nm

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Korea wins again!

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Borscht posted:

Step one is not killing them in the womb. I've read that the figure is 100 million worldwide, but that number just boggles my mind. Is there any evidence that it is lower?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

It would have been 100 million and 1 but your mom pussed out

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

It would have been 100 million and 1 but your mom pussed out

hey dont be mean.

and sex selection in asia isnt good. granted not sure how to address that ether.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Criticizing sex selection isn't the same as being anti-choice either.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Regressive attitudes towards women in Asia aren't a result of sex selection. If there's a first step we can identify to rectify those beliefs, challenging sex selection is not it.

e: sex selection is almost entirely unambiguously bad

Cool Kids Club Soda fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 12, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You know what is anti-choice? The Chinese government.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

McGavin posted:

Criticizing sex selection isn't the same as being anti-choice either.

full disclosure I believe in extreme bodily autonomy, including abortion. In fact I feel the state/authorities should not involve themselves anyway with someone's medical decisions etc.

I m think more along to lines of the abstract problem of people not reproducing and yeah the blade runner future where you work a soul crushing job and live in a tiny concrete box, pressure from all sides. Will make people not want to have kids.

Though i wonder if they arent even having that much sex, and those that do get pregnant decide carry to term.

Given how collective and authoritarian the culture is asia can be, the chance of criminalizing abortion might be greater than zero.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

McGavin posted:

You know what is anti-choice? The Chinese government.

Agreed. They're wildly over correcting as a continuation of past anti-choice policies

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

You'd think, because logic would dictate, but then there's:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/swapping-prison-time-with-retail-work-could-save-nation-2-billion-think-tank-20230309-p5cqnj.html

At least the url starts with smh I guess.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I've enjoyed this series of China travel videos. This episode explores tolou, which are a Hakka traditional communal living complex with a shrine at the center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nZue4_ceSY

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Atopian posted:

You'd think, because logic would dictate, but then there's:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/swapping-prison-time-with-retail-work-could-save-nation-2-billion-think-tank-20230309-p5cqnj.html

At least the url starts with smh I guess.

"Sure we could pay people more, but what about slavery?"

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Somebody did so much math for that

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

International export controls on products from Xinjiang, Alabama, and Australia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Sorry Australia, looks like you're a historic and inalienable part of China now