Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SulettaMercury/status/1634627471315439616

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well I did it, I built my first RG.
*snip*

Yeah I dunno. This is apparently an early-ish RG and later ones are better, but it has soured me on RGs a little bit. If anyone can suggest some of the highest quality RGs I'm willing to give them another shot though, I already have heard the Zeong is one of the gold standards for RGs.

You picked what might be the worst example of RG. And the Sinanju exists. Amusingly, they were released the same year. Both are.. not fun.

RG Nu or RG Hi Nu gundam are ~absolute dreams~ to build. If you build them BADLY they come out great. God Gundam is the thing if you wanna put your gundam in weird athletic stances. RG Sazabi is really good too, reasonably posible, lots of gimmicks.. The Zeong isn't as fun to play with, but has hatches and color separation for days. If you're the seed sort of person, the Force Impulse gundam from 2020, takes care to build, but is posable and fun.

As it goes, if you're a 00 fan, the only RG of the 00 series that's worth a buck, is Exia. (and I own them all..)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

The GFrame thing was fairly cheap and seemed interesting so I figured why not. It's not quite what I expected. I'm sure other people here have gotten them, but the figure came almost pre-built, just on a display frame, and then you have to pull the parts off the display frame and put them on the action frame (if you want to, I mean, you can just leave them on the display frame too).

It's neat, but I probably won't buy any more of them. I still like this Zaku better than the kit I built though, funny enough. It's also cool that it comes with a display stand, even if the display stand looks like some hosed up sacrificial altar made of robot remains (you use the display frame to build the stand, by turning the arms down, putting the feet on the butt, and stacking the legs on top).

The real weird thing about G Frames is in the wild the display frame box and the action frame box are sold completely separately.

The oddness of the construction/quality comes from the fact these come from Bandai's candy toy division (legally you didn't even buy the model, you bought that piece of gum!) which is completely separate from the Gunpla division.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

The real weird thing about G Frames is in the wild the display frame box and the action frame box are sold completely separately.

The oddness of the construction/quality comes from the fact these come from Bandai's candy toy division (legally you didn't even buy the model, you bought that piece of gum!) which is completely separate from the Gunpla division.

Depends on where you're buying from. Bandai started selling the two packs together in a lot of places.

Another thing is that Bandai's candy toy division has different engineering teams than the main gunpla team, which sometimes leads to getting completely different model kits for the same design. You see it with GaoGaiGar having a super minipla and a RG, although they're a few years apart.

They even have some premium designs like the Gunbuster that cost as much as high end model kits... although they often still have the candy. (I'm interested in the upcoming Chainsaw Man kits. They're rougher looking than the figma or the SH figurarts, but they're apparently about the same size when fully built)

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Hello,

Some of stores in my city are recently selling Gunplas so I'm buying tools but I am not sure about which sort of mask I should buy for plastic dust? Would a simple one like this would suffice or should I get a better one?

Thank you!

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well I did it, I built my first RG.
[...]
It was...very underwhelming?
[...]
This is apparently an early-ish RG and later ones are better, but it has soured me on RGs a little bit. If anyone can suggest some of the highest quality RGs I'm willing to give them another shot though, I already have heard the Zeong is one of the gold standards for RGs.

Joining the chorus here to say that I started with the RG Wing Gundam and my experience was largely the same (although that one sounds a lot better than your experience here, and at least transforms). Did the Zeong next and oh my God it's such a different, and wonderful experience. As mentioned there's not so many 'gimmicks' or things to do with it per se, but it's monumentally sized without being a pain to build and differs just enough from the normal humanoid Gundam form to be an interesting build. Just spread the thruster builds out a bit and as a building experience it's fantastic, whether or not you vibe with the 70s Zeon aesthetic.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Numero6 posted:

Hello,

Some of stores in my city are recently selling Gunplas so I'm buying tools but I am not sure about which sort of mask I should buy for plastic dust? Would a simple one like this would suffice or should I get a better one?

Thank you!

Any mask rated for construction will work for plastic dust as well. Plastic dust is much heavier than the particulates that come off of sanders and saws. You're also not tossing it violently into the air, so it's probably not going to reach you at all while sanding.
If you're painting, you need a respirator or a mask rated for solvent/vapour.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What is the purpose of a balancer? Is it just super-fine sandpaper for polishing?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Pierson posted:

What is the purpose of a balancer? Is it just super-fine sandpaper for polishing?

To polish up the plastic where you already sanded so that it matches the rest of the plastic on that part. Intended for people who don't paint.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Goddamn

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1634887026217721856?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Kibner posted:

To polish up the plastic where you already sanded so that it matches the rest of the plastic on that part. Intended for people who don't paint.
Is there any point to one if I already have some extremely high-grain sanding sticks or do they work in a different way?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Pierson posted:

Is there any point to one if I already have some extremely high-grain sanding sticks or do they work in a different way?

They should work very similarly, if not the same.

e: the big difference is that the Balancer is on a sponge, so it has a lot more give than a stick. could change which area is getting polished

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I just saw that myself. It's like a 30MM Graze Ein :eyepop:.

There's other announcements too though;

A Tiltrotor Vehicle.

A storage box and assembly kit. I might actually grab this one myself just to keep things tidy.

A new sticker set. This one looks to be mostly kanji symbols to make your robot look 25% cooler per symbol tattooed onto it.

Another weapon set. This one gets you a backpack with shoulder revolver cannons, a sword that splits out into a shortsword and axe, and a forearm shield.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Now that's what I call a cockpit.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

parabolic posted:

Is there anything that gets even sort of close in performance for how easy it was? It self-leveled so well for me that you basically couldn't screw up applying it. I just got some mr. color gloss (c46) because I was at the store getting the Super Smooth Clear Flat (gx114) that I guess I'll try. I missed that there's a super gloss apparently gx100.

Quick shine is really similar and available in canada not sure about its availability in the states though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Good Dom

https://twitter.com/30mmissions/status/1634888984215314438?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Skrillmub posted:

Any mask rated for construction will work for plastic dust as well. Plastic dust is much heavier than the particulates that come off of sanders and saws. You're also not tossing it violently into the air, so it's probably not going to reach you at all while sanding.
If you're painting, you need a respirator or a mask rated for solvent/vapour.

Ok, thank you! Yeah, I'll probably buy a mask for painting when I'll feel ready.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They need to stop making these one-off unique pieces for the p-bandai 30mm.

Heck even the non-p-bandai ones. Where's the Alto ground type bazooka? Or the Alto flight type's railguns?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I have some sad news about my Eva 01 I was building.

I had company over yesterday and she accidently broke the chin from the build (I was going to cheat and superglue the chin to the base so nobody would notice) but the thin plastic broke it in half. So now my unit 01 has a green skeleton with no jaw. :(

I will try and salvage it but is it a lost cause at this point?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i hope you killed her

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The only option now is to make it into a battle damaged Eva.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Katamari Democracy posted:

I had company over yesterday and she accidently broke the chin from the build (I was going to cheat and superglue the chin to the base so nobody would notice) but the thin plastic broke it in half. So now my unit 01 has a green skeleton with no jaw. :(

Post pictures of the pieces in question, we may have some ideas if we can see what's happening.

Unfortunately models aren't action figures so people used to handling things roughly will damage them. I don't let people who aren't me handle my stuff, that way nobody but me feels bad if they get damaged.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

You can use plastic cement to glue it back together, but how good it looks will depend on how damaged the plastic is and whether you can do things like sand it

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Puddin posted:

The only option now is to make it into a battle damaged Eva.

Thats what I was kind of thinking but meh.

Midjack posted:

Post pictures of the pieces in question, we may have some ideas if we can see what's happening.

Unfortunately models aren't action figures so people used to handling things roughly will damage them. I don't let people who aren't me handle my stuff, that way nobody but me feels bad if they get damaged.

I think I can fix this. But I will have to cheat to get the chin and 'Tongue' to fit this.

Stairmaster posted:

i hope you killed her

She is a very sweet woman and she did give me some better nippers.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 12, 2023

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Just a crappy phone pic for now, but this was a fun build. I'm going to go back and play with the panel lines some more, and add some stickers.

I've always stalled out on painting scale models (I think I have a submarine, jet fighter, and car all in various incomplete states), so this was really fun to not feel like I had to paint it. Next one I'll at least get some more emery boards or something to clean up the sprues better.

Now how do I figure out which 30MM accessories go to which dudes?

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Thats what I was kind of thinking but meh.

I think I can fix this. But I will have to cheat to get the chin and 'Tongue' to fit this.

She is a very sweet woman and she did give me some better nippers.

You can glue those pieces onto the face, but you're never going to get full jaw motion.

I very much recommend watching a few Youtube videos on how to remove gates. You are leaving a whole bunch of little pieces on the parts that are making things not fit together and just generally look awful.
Are those metal snips what you're using? Stop doing that and buy plastic cutters and either a hobby knife or sanding sponges.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Skrillmub posted:

You can glue those pieces onto the face, but you're never going to get full jaw motion.

I very much recommend watching a few Youtube videos on how to remove gates. You are leaving a whole bunch of little pieces on the parts that are making things not fit together and just generally look awful.
Are those metal snips what you're using? Stop doing that and buy plastic cutters and either a hobby knife or sanding sponges.

Seriously. It's not a lot of money to make the model experience so much better.

https://www.amazon.com/IGAN-330-Ele...aps%2C96&sr=8-1 $7.50 IGAN 330's. Better than most nippers on the market that aren't ~modeling specific~, and better than most of the nippers that acutally get sold.

https://www.amazon.com/stedi-4-7-in...aps%2C97&sr=8-1 $17.50 Stedi MS-100. These are my nipper of choice. But I'm not a huge fan of single bladed nippers. These are better than anything short of single bladed nippers. My lack of handedness might be the thing that makes single blade not work for me.

Speaking of single blade. $22 gets you in the door there. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JYPFRQ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ANSAI MS-065

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Progress.

1. My panel lining is... messy. I'm not too off-put by it, but it could definitely be better. There's still plenty of clean up to do as well. But in some parts I'm feeling as if the gloss coat didn't go on even, or there wasn't enough, simply because the flow isn't what I've been expecting.
2. In future kits, I'll be spending more attention on seam lines, and probably doing quite a bit of assembly before painting just so I can cover the more obnoxious ones better. They're making it more difficult to panel line as well, since the seams often represent 'fake' lines.
3. The G-Rework decal sheet was a good buy. Even with only a handful on, they add a LOT of pop to the kit.

Oh, and I still haven't detailed the backpack. I really don't want to work with yellow again so soon...

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I know this probably gets asked a lot and I'm sorry, but is there a Zaku/Dom kit that should specifically be avoided? Was going to get an MG or RG kit.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

ijyt posted:

I know this probably gets asked a lot and I'm sorry, but is there a Zaku/Dom kit that should specifically be avoided? Was going to get an MG or RG kit.

Zaku I is an old school MG so beware. Dom comes in 1.0 and 1.5 and the difference is negligible except for the hands

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ijyt posted:

Any of the MG Zaku IIs after the 2.0 upgrade are solid kits though the pipes are infamous. Earlier than that, there's a few different designs but they're all very outdated by 2023 standards.

For RGs, the earlier Zaku IIs are perfectly fine if you treat it like a model kit and not an action figure. If you're not fussed about the specific type, the mass production comes with fixed hands where the Char custom doesn't. The later Hi-Mobility/Johnny Ridden has a few minor improvements but is 95% the same model where it counts. Again, infamous for the pipes though.

I'll also put in a good word for the HG Origin series Zakus of all flavors because they're a really nice line with some good detail if you like that sort of thing.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

I honestly didn't notice the panel lining mistakes until you pointed them out. I wouldn't stress too much. The decals are doing a lot of heavy lifting.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

RillAkBea posted:

For RGs, the earlier Zaku IIs are perfectly fine if you treat it like a model kit and not an action figure. If you're not fussed about the specific type, the mass production comes with fixed hands where the Char custom doesn't. The later Hi-Mobility/Johnny Ridden has a few minor improvements but is 95% the same model where it counts. Again, infamous for the pipes though.

Also, needs a stand if you don't want it to fall over at the slightest breeze or actually be able to pose it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Johnny Ridden RG Zaku replaced the three point articulation feet with two point articulation feet. You don't get a toe bend but it's much more stable for posing.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Pretty annoying that Char gets a custom suit like that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think this set has a lot of potential outside of the 30MS line

https://twitter.com/30msisters/status/1634887728449089537?s=20

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Monaghan posted:

Pledge doesn't make future anymore just so you know.

SC Johnson destroyed the Future.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Monaghan posted:

Quick shine is really similar and available in canada not sure about its availability in the states though.

It’s available through Amazon too: https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Shine-Multi-Surface-Finish-Polish/dp/B007TSJLCE/

On a related note, what’s the best way to remove Quick Shine from plastic, and how thick of a coat are you supposed to give varnish, anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

CommunityEdition posted:

On a related note, what’s the best way to remove Quick Shine from plastic, and how thick of a coat are you supposed to give varnish, anyways?

Isopropyl alcohol and several thin coats to taste, respectively. You mainly want to avoid goopy pooling hence the multiple coats.