Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHhB2XoCeP4&t=144s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (March 14, 1976)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire Finally Gets Around To The "Curse" Part Of The Curse Of Tangaroa!

Popeye

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We are almost at 10 years until fully caught up with Kevin and Kell.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I forgot how it began, we'll have to start over

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

davidspackage posted:

I am slightly uncomfortable with the strange men repeatedly sequestering themselves with a little girl.

No. Not at all. If they had just made a lemonade booth it would be a lot less weird.
Plenty of perverts in the military just like civilian society.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hwurmp posted:

I forgot how it began, we'll have to start over
No.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

(Double) The Creeps

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

gurnal

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/23-25/41

I love this comic. It's so stupid but so sincere about it.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Oh, all right. I'll do it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

Ha!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

everyone wear hats now posted:

(Double) The Creeps
Hahaha oh my gods... That's so horrible but :roflolmao:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Why doesn't she just quit? Every strip is about how miserable her job is.

Her boss is blackmailing her to stay. I forget the exact details, but I'm pretty sure she's threatening to financially ruin Dethany's parents if she leaves.

Dethany still actively recruits friends and family members to work there, though, because why not? All bosses are a little unreasonable sometimes lol! What a relatable strip!

Junk Drawer

Home Free has an extra this time thanks To Charles Schulz day

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Still not a joke!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/27-29/50

Archie 10/10-12/46

The third panel is referring to an ad slogan from the 1910s:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Poil posted:

Hahaha oh my gods... That's so horrible but :roflolmao:

I have that one pinned up in my cube at work, it’s fantastic!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Selachian posted:

Pogo 4/27-29/50

A few references: I'm pretty sure Albert is referencing this Fleischer short from 1936.

Also: Fort Mudge.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

the old ball and chain
e: this is the comic strips thread, the most boomer place on earth. surely there's no shortage of marital laments

Bimmi posted:

I’ve always been fond of “termagant.”

Hippocrass posted:

OTHER WORDS FOR termagant
1 shrew, virago, harridan, scold.
Thanks! I had heard 'shrew' and I think 'Ball-and-chain' but most of those weren't familiar. B. Virtanen is definitely the type of comic to go for the classic "lol marriage sucks" type jokes; see also how Virtanen's wife has a permanent strand of beard and is heavy-built and muscular compared to Virtanen himself. :sigh:

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

The term for those buoys that prevent a boat from bumping against a pier are called "fenders" in Finnish. As in, we literally use the English term as a Finnish noun. I didn't even know "Fender" was a guitar label.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/23-25/41

I love this stupid comic

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Fender means pretty much the same thing in English, mostly applied to automobiles.
The guitar is named after Leo Fender who designed the Fender Stratocaster guitar.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for March 10, 1927! Not only do we have a Russell Patterson cover...

...but the ad pages show that there's no shame in having a side hustle.

Sanford Tousey:

Ellison Hoover longs for the good old days:

Don Herold at ringside:

Alice Harvey:

Just to make sure I get this in somewhere, a Fred G Cooper spot illustration of Satan snickering with delight (suitable for reuse pretty much anywhere):

And in the "you figure it out, I'm absolutely cross-eyed" category, a contributor to the French magazine Le Pêle-Mêle:

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 13, 2023

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Powered Descent posted:

A few of you use my little script to prep the comics you post here every day. But since I wrote it in bash, that means Windows users have to jump through a bunch of hoops (like WSL) to use it. But that's no longer necessary, since (with some assistance from ChatGPT) I've finally ported the script to PowerShell. Windows users, rejoice!

sick..........................

ill have to dedicate some time to setting it up tomorrow!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hippocrass posted:

Fender means pretty much the same thing in English, mostly applied to automobiles.
The guitar is named after Leo Fender who designed the Fender Stratocaster guitar.

It means exactly the same in English. All boats have at least a few to keep from smacking a dock too hard at rest or while docking.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

I occasionally think about translating the Cinderella strips (it's a long-running thing Q-Rais has subverting the Cinderella/stepmother relationship).

The main reason I haven't is that it's tricky to translate because the central gag is that the stepmother still talks to Cinderella in the way you'd talk to a servant.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Mar 26, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 6-7, 1993)

Big Nate

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Giant Ethicist posted:

The main reason I haven't is that it's tricky to translate because the central gag is that the stepmother still talks to Cinderella in the way you'd talk to a servant.
yeah i honestly couldn't tell if she was passive-aggressively inviting cinderella to share her burger or to get rid of nekonaughey so i just defaulted to the one that was shittier to the cat even though all the comments were talking about how nice she was.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
korea is about to be propelled several hundred years ahead in the baseball meta

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lol

yeah i'm digging his stuff.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 10: Boys Like Fun Part 2 I like Lottie's face in that first inset panel...

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

I’m sure you’re familiar with Brian Eno’s Oblique Strategies. One for the teenagers, eh?

Wikipedia posted:

Oblique Strategies (subtitled Over One Hundred Worthwhile Dilemmas) is a card-based method for promoting creativity jointly created by musician/artist Brian Eno and multimedia artist Peter Schmidt, first published in 1975. Physically, it takes the form of a deck of 7-by-9-centimetre (2.8 in × 3.5 in) printed cards in a black box. Each card offers a challenging constraint intended to help artists (particularly musicians) break creative blocks by encouraging lateral thinking.

Also in Breaking Cat News.

Georgia Dunn posted:

9 years ago today Lupin knocked everything off a shelf and I scribbled out a quick little funny comic about it for friends on Facebook. Within days I’d check to see if the domain “breakingcatnews” was available, letting that make my decision for me. Thank goodness it was. Soon the comic would be catching on—momentarily stuck with the quick, thrown together artwork at first. (My art degree still winces. 😬🤣)

Webcomic, newspapers, and the seventh book out in October—it’s been an amazing (and fast!!) nine years.

Next year will mark TEN YEARS of ‘Breaking Cat News’! 🙀❤️ I can’t believe it! Thank you so much for reading and enjoying my stories and jokes. It feels like a miracle that I get to make this wonderful comic and somehow people love to read it. Thank you!! ❤️❤️❤️

The_Other fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 5, 2023

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 09, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

:sbahj:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Hagar the Wholesome

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

Boy, are there a few too many here that are relevant to me.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

yeah i honestly couldn't tell if she was passive-aggressively inviting cinderella to share her burger or to get rid of nekonaughey so i just defaulted to the one that was shittier to the cat even though all the comments were talking about how nice she was.

Yeah, knowing Q-Rais' Cinderella she's probably suggesting they share one of their burgers with the hungry cat: "Cinderella! Do you mind splitting one of our hamburgers?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

TM is "Tekniikan Maailma", "The World of Tech", which is basically a Finnish institution. It's a monthly magazine that reviews cars, tools, ski-doos and all kinds of other manly crap. They do regular theme numbers where they review all kinds of winter or summer crap, or the best weed whackers of 2023 or whatever, and that's the assumption here as well.

Do old guys in other countries also love to argue about which winter from their youth was the hardest, or is it just Finns?

E:

here you go, literally the first hit on Google:

Tekniikan Maailma doing a big winter review roundup of how electric cars work in Finland's winter conditions.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 13, 2023