Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd never thought about it but it seems weird that Doc Brown knew down to the second when the lightning would strike.

Considering Doc Brown is the stereotypical "Mad Scientist" its possible he either had equipment monitoring weather patterns that were tracking things like lightning strikes, he had a stint where he was in a "weather manipulation" phase, or he was able to determine the lightning strike time from where the gears jammed in the clock tower mechanism.

Still kinda weird, but in a mad science way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

This feels like they don't know that Gremlins 2 was intentionally a silly movie.

credburn has a new favorite as of 20:49 on Mar 12, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

credburn posted:

This feels like they know that Gremlins 2 was intentionally a silly movie.

Gremlins 2 goes well beyond being a silly movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Randalor posted:

Considering Doc Brown is the stereotypical "Mad Scientist" its possible he either had equipment monitoring weather patterns that were tracking things like lightning strikes, he had a stint where he was in a "weather manipulation" phase, or he was able to determine the lightning strike time from where the gears jammed in the clock tower mechanism.

Yeah I always figured it'd be obvious based on the clock, which had continuous motion and stopped exactly when lightning had struck it, would be a good indicator of the exact moment it was struck. It'd require very precise measuring, but still doable.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Randalor posted:

Yeah, I mean...like most things in the film (and time travel stories in general), it's best not to think about it too much but we're being irrational here so...

And god drat, though. Why does your avatar look like Rush Limbaugh done with a Disco Elysium art style? It's all I can see every time you post.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah he had a photo of the stopped clock, I think he could probably get a good idea

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

My biggest Creed complaint will stay that he doesn't know how to knock on a door like a reasonable person. To be fair, they've only show him knock when upset and slam doors or just walk into places the rest of the time.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

And god drat, though. Why does your avatar look like Rush Limbaugh done with a Disco Elysium art style? It's all I can see every time you post.

It's an AI rendition of noted Canadian political shitheel premiere Doug Ford done in the style of Disco Elysium. I liked it because it looks like a sleazy mob boss (so a provincial premiere), and someone was giving it and other images from that set away as avatars in one of the Canadian politics thread.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Panfilo posted:

To this extent Gizmo might be some kind of mutant or extremely rare caste, hence why he was jealously guarded by his owner for so long.

If you read the book you'd know Gizmo is a space alien. His species was created to act as emissaries. Turning into gremlins was an unforeseen accident.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

That's some Signs-level alien tech

like straight up

A QA engineer walks into a bar.
Orders a beer.
Orders 0 beers.
Orders 99999999999 beers.
Orders a lizard.
Orders -1 beers.
Orders a ueicbksjdhd.
Real customer walks in and asks where the bathroom is for a glass of water. The bar bursts into flames, killing everyone.

stringless has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Mar 13, 2023

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

credburn posted:

This feels like they don't know that Gremlins 2 was intentionally a silly movie.

It feels like they know exactly how intentionally silly it was. Also, Jordan Peele deserves an oscar for his performance as Star Magic Jackson, Jr.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you read the book you'd know Gizmo is a space alien. His species was created to act as emissaries. Turning into gremlins was an unforeseen accident.

Actually, that kinda makes sense considering the abovementioned traits of Gremlins- that they adapt to their surroundings and absorb local culture, language and customs extremely quickly. Just they end up becoming more like frat boys on spring break.

lord funk posted:

It feels like they know exactly how intentionally silly it was. Also, Jordan Peele deserves an oscar for his performance as Star Magic Jackson, Jr.

Jordan Peele being in a Gremlins movie feels incredibly fitting.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Tunicate posted:

Yeah he had a photo of the stopped clock, I think he could probably get a good idea

The 'save the clock tower' lady at the beginning of the film says to Marty that it was struck at precisely 10:04, this is explicit in the text of the film.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Breetai posted:

The 'save the clock tower' lady at the beginning of the film says to Marty that it was struck at precisely 10:04, this is explicit in the text of the film.

How the hell does she know? All she knows is the clock said 10:04 when it was struck. Clock doesn't even have a second hand, she can't tell the difference between 10:04.00 and 10:04.whatever. Maybe future Doc could have examined the gears of the stopped clock and made a calculation, but there's going to be enough error in it that you're not going to be able to tell to the second when it was struck.

And a bigger problem is that Marty's got to start the car and accelerate and hit the wire at precisely the right time, too. A stroke of lightning is over in a few dozen microseconds, even if this is a really long multi-stroke bolt he's got about a half-second window to hit that wire based purely on his own judgement about how hard to mash the pedal on that Delorean, *and* he's got to be going at least 88mph when he does make contact. If the car were computer controlled that'd be possible, no way he's doing it by dead reckoning.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phanatic posted:

How the hell does she know? All she knows is the clock said 10:04 when it was struck. Clock doesn't even have a second hand, she can't tell the difference between 10:04.00 and 10:04.whatever. Maybe future Doc could have examined the gears of the stopped clock and made a calculation, but there's going to be enough error in it that you're not going to be able to tell to the second when it was struck.

You'd absolutely be able to tell to the second when the bolt hit the clock by examining the mechanism that moves the minute hand. It's a simple mechanical problem that would have to be solved in order to build an accurate clock in the first place. You wouldn't even have to worry about the clock being fast or slow - you just set your watches by the clock.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

They lean in to the absurdity and the film's better for it

Doc posted:

Don't worry! As long as you hit that wire with the connecting hook at precisely 88 miles an hour, the instant the lightning strikes the tower... everything will be fine!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Phanatic posted:

And a bigger problem is that Marty's got to start the car and accelerate and hit the wire at precisely the right time, too. A stroke of lightning is over in a few dozen microseconds, even if this is a really long multi-stroke bolt he's got about a half-second window to hit that wire based purely on his own judgement about how hard to mash the pedal on that Delorean, *and* he's got to be going at least 88mph when he does make contact. If the car were computer controlled that'd be possible, no way he's doing it by dead reckoning.

Presumably the fact that the clock got stuck at exactly 10:04:000000 is repeated in the local newspaper every time the anniversary rolls around.

And getting your goons to get impossible timing is the first lesson you learn in mad scientist school.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'd feel safer with Doc's guesses, than most other people's facts.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I'm watching "Hounded" ("Hunted" in the US), a film of my favorite subgenre -- humans hunting humans -- but I can't stop being distracted by this weird radial blur they apply to most scenes. One supposes it's to force focus toward the middle where things are happening, but it's a weird effect and I can't stop looking at it. Regular ol' natural depth of field would have been fine, this is a weird post-production thing that looks like I did it in Photoshop.

The whole movie looks like this.

Also: there's this scene where they discover this field is littered with bear traps. They have to carefully navigate around them, these barely visible traps, poking the ground every few feet with sticks. But then immediately after, a bunch of dogs and people riding horses just trample through that same field without any concern of the traps at all.

Also: this movie is so full of nonsense. Why release the prey, then immediately come back with dogs, then let them go again, then chase after them again, all the while alternating between "these are easy prey!" and "I love a good challenge!" If the point is to just harass and torment these people, then fine, but it doesn't seem to be. It just seems to be, well we can't kill them now, that would be too soon, we really should have given them a longer head start -- oh, but they still need some more time, so let's give them a third head start.

Also: how close are the pursuers? Every back-and-forth shot of the prey running and the hunters chasing them seem to be just randomized 1-second-long clips because they absolutely are farther away and then much closer and then much farther away in alternating shots.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I mean Marty *doesn't* hit the gas at the right moment, he's late because it won't start, to add tension.

Man that's a good movie. I genuinely think the BttF movies are some of the best-paced ever. The train climax of the third one is incredible too.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I'm irrationally irritated when movies have sequels that don't even use their own sequel hooks. I recently re-watched Screamers which ends on a somewhat mediocre "The End?" hook: the main character escapes the evil android planet and returns to earth but the teddy bear he brought with him starts to move on its own, and like 15 years later they made a sequel and it has nothing to do with that ending, it's just a bunch of people going back to the same android planet.

I'm also annoyed at sequels that ignore the previous movie(s) completely but there's something particularly annoying about setting things up for a sequel then completely ignoring that when actually making a sequel; I think it's because it makes it too obvious that sequel hooks aren't about sequels, they're just a crutch when a writer can't think of an ending.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There were god knows how many X-Men movies, and the sequel-hooks were never, ever, followed up.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The Last Jedi is a dire warning about what happens when half your movie is a sequel hook.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There were god knows how many X-Men movies, and the sequel-hooks were never, ever, followed up.
Having read X-Men in the 90's, all I can say is: yep, that's the X-Men, all right.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Panfilo posted:

Apparently the novelization gave gremlins extraterrestrial origins and they were seeded on planets as a "test
" to see if local civilizations were ready to be integrated into the intergalactic community at large. The idea being that if your race was too stupid to fail the basic instructions then your race was too much of a liability or something.

I'd prefer supernatural origins honestly. "Mogwai" is a Cantonese word for Demon or something. With supernatural origins the feeding after midnight problem and acting out human behaviors makes more sense. They are just little avatars of chaos-whatever order humans build up the gremlins tear down.

Which is weird because the first movie had some dumbass kid get gizmo wet and the second was a malfunctioning water fountain, neither of which is a good indicator of civilization.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

CordlessPen posted:

I'm irrationally irritated when movies have sequels that don't even use their own sequel hooks. I recently re-watched Screamers which ends on a somewhat mediocre "The End?" hook: the main character escapes the evil android planet and returns to earth but the teddy bear he brought with him starts to move on its own, and like 15 years later they made a sequel and it has nothing to do with that ending, it's just a bunch of people going back to the same android planet.

That movie scared the eff out of little me! Then I rewatched it a few years back and was surprised by how cheesy it was

I also read the short story it's based on at that time (which is set on Earth instead of another world). It's mildly interesting that the final twist in the film is a mid-climax twist in the prose, and the final twist in the prose is reappropriated for a mid-climax twist in the film. The last big fight in the movie has android vs. android, and like you said, the final twist is that is the the killer robot kid's teddy is also a killer robot. While in the short story, the big fight has robot kids dropping their teddies, which spout weapons and charge en masse. Then the finale is as the main character lies dying, yet smiling as he sees that the machines have become so human that they're already beginning to turn on each other

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Watching the late 90s animated Spawn on HBO Max and Jesus god it sucks. Was the animation always this lovely? And why are there like 6 scenes where Spawn asks Cogliostro how he knows so much about being a spawn and cog answers that he was one and can break the curse and then the scene ends and they repeat the conversation the next episode. Did they just stop talking? Why don’t they remember this? God this sucks

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Keromaru5 posted:

The Last Jedi is a dire warning about what happens when half your movie is a sequel hook.

Do you mean in relation to Force Awakens or Rise of Akywalker? Because honestly, I can see the argument for either interpretation. Really, it's more of a dire warning to write out your trilogy ahead of time and stick with one director, or if you have to switch, don't switch back to the first one for the final film. Felt like watching three different films from three different trilogies.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

oldpainless posted:

Watching the late 90s animated Spawn on HBO Max and Jesus god it sucks. Was the animation always this lovely? And why are there like 6 scenes where Spawn asks Cogliostro how he knows so much about being a spawn and cog answers that he was one and can break the curse and then the scene ends and they repeat the conversation the next episode. Did they just stop talking? Why don’t they remember this? God this sucks

I remember watching the episodes that can up sporadically and wondering when the hell anything was ever going to happen. Just a lot of nothing, promising some cool poo poo but I could not tell you a single thing of note that happened on that show.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

credburn posted:

I'm watching "Hounded" ("Hunted" in the US), a film of my favorite subgenre -- humans hunting humans -- but I can't stop being distracted by this weird radial blur they apply to most scenes. One supposes it's to force focus toward the middle where things are happening, but it's a weird effect and I can't stop looking at it. Regular ol' natural depth of field would have been fine, this is a weird post-production thing that looks like I did it in Photoshop.

The whole movie looks like this.

Haven’t seen the movie, but if this is the same effect I’m thinking of, then it’s not necessarily a post-processing thing. Certain camera lenses just do this naturally. I think maybe anamorphic lenses, the ones that squeeze a wide frame into a narrower shape? Usually with those you’ll notice because the bokeh will be oval shaped, rather than round, and the effect is more pronounced towards the edges of the frame, which can give a swirling, impressionistic effect, especially with a super narrow depth of field.

Though, I’ll admit, I feel like I’ve been seeing this sort of thing a lot lately. Lens manufacturers slowly figured out, over time, how to design lenses to avoid this sort of thing happening, so it’s funny that it’s sorta coming back into vogue and people are intentionally seeking it out now. I wouldn’t be surprised if there IS some software-applied version of this, to fake the look of it for your footage.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Randalor posted:

Do you mean in relation to Force Awakens or Rise of Akywalker? Because honestly, I can see the argument for either interpretation. Really, it's more of a dire warning to write out your trilogy ahead of time and stick with one director, or if you have to switch, don't switch back to the first one for the final film. Felt like watching three different films from three different trilogies.
I was thinking more about RoS, since it went so far out of its way to dump everything Last Jedi set up. TLJ's hardly my favorite, and it's annoying how the Canto Bight subplot amounts to nothing, but I always figured they were counting on the next movie to do something with it. RoS also hardly does anything with TLJ's treatment of the Force.

Otherwise, you're spot on about "three different films from three different trilogies."

Of course, I also still think Snoke should have been a giant, and not just that hologram.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

CordlessPen posted:

I'm also annoyed at sequels that ignore the previous movie(s) completely but there's something particularly annoying about setting things up for a sequel then completely ignoring that when actually making a sequel; I think it's because it makes it too obvious that sequel hooks aren't about sequels, they're just a crutch when a writer can't think of an ending.

Don't forget to smoke your radiation cigarette!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Keromaru5 posted:

I was thinking more about RoS, since it went so far out of its way to dump everything Last Jedi set up. TLJ's hardly my favorite, and it's annoying how the Canto Bight subplot amounts to nothing, but I always figured they were counting on the next movie to do something with it. RoS also hardly does anything with TLJ's treatment of the Force.

Otherwise, you're spot on about "three different films from three different trilogies."

Of course, I also still think Snoke should have been a giant, and not just that hologram.

There's lots to be said about the sequels but I feel it's all summed up by JJ Abrams literally coming out and saying "We probably should have had a plan."

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I for one think it’s cool how every single thread on the forums occasionally becomes “talk about the Star Wars sequels” for several pages. And frankly this thread doesn’t deserve it because there’s nothing irrational about it.

Speaking of something that’s rationally irritating, I finally saw the Village in TYOOL 2023. Overall I thought it was pretty decent, but boy howdy did Adrien Brody’s character age incredibly poorly. I am glad we as a society have moved beyond “acclaimed actor plays a stereotype of a mentally challenged person” because that one was particularly egregious.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

oldpainless posted:

I remember watching that when it first came out on HBO back in the late 90's. The animation was trying to ape Batman: The Animated Series… with sun-optimal results.

I do remember creator Todd McFarlane introducing each episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9wmgRRoSyg

I'm watching Avengers: Endgame and my IIMM is how unfocused the MCU has been since then. Yeah, Kant is being set up as the new big bad with Secret Wars being the new focus, but I'm genuinely curious how they'll tie in Shang Chi… or even The Eternals into it.

Hell, anybody remember this?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Hell, anybody remember this?

She-Hulk remembers!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Shnakepup posted:

Haven’t seen the movie, but if this is the same effect I’m thinking of, then it’s not necessarily a post-processing thing. Certain camera lenses just do this naturally. I think maybe anamorphic lenses, the ones that squeeze a wide frame into a narrower shape? Usually with those you’ll notice because the bokeh will be oval shaped, rather than round, and the effect is more pronounced towards the edges of the frame, which can give a swirling, impressionistic effect, especially with a super narrow depth of field.

Though, I’ll admit, I feel like I’ve been seeing this sort of thing a lot lately. Lens manufacturers slowly figured out, over time, how to design lenses to avoid this sort of thing happening, so it’s funny that it’s sorta coming back into vogue and people are intentionally seeking it out now. I wouldn’t be surprised if there IS some software-applied version of this, to fake the look of it for your footage.

Well, whether it's a natural effect of the lens of a post-processing thing, it definitely feels like it's an intentional thing. I think it's supposed to perhaps make one feel claustrophobic? As they flee the hunters, they have a sort of tunnel-vision, this does sort of emulate that in a way. But it's just distracting as gently caress. Everything looks twinkly.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Grendels Dad posted:

She-Hulk remembers!

Seems like a good hook for a Doc Samson series where he gets a lot of patients who are having breakdowns from all the weird poo poo that keeps happening.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

christmas boots posted:

Seems like a good hook for a Doc Samson series where he gets a lot of patients who are having breakdowns from all the weird poo poo that keeps happening.

I would do crimesfor MCU In Treatment.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

oldpainless posted:

These animated shows are more like oldbudgetless. They repeat sequences wholesale because it's cheaper and faster than creating something new to fill the run time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Over the weekend I watched Siberia. This turned out to be a huge mistake because wow what a garbage fire of a movie. It couldn't decide whether it wanted to be an action flick, gritty crime drama, espionage/detective thriller, study of a failing marriage, or a quirky romance. The result is an incoherent, tonally-uneven mess that doesn't work on any level.

Anyways, my meta-IIMM about it is, I think that if you kept the general ambience while focusing on one or two of those genres, there could have been something watchable in there (you'd probably need a better scriptwriter though)!