Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZYf96eyE94&t=102s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Just the perfect clip for that.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I knew RTD wants to franchise the poo poo out of DW, I just overlooked "make some garbage mobile phone games" as part of his strategy

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

At least give it to GameLoft so they can charge $10 for Tenth Doctor With Blue Suit and $10 for Tenth Doctor With Brown Suit and $10 for Tenth Doctor In Blue Suit Wearing Stereoscopic Shades and $10 for Tenth Doctor In Brown Suit Wearing Stereoscopic Shades and-

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They'd have to be really drat good to get me to watch any Doctor Who property that doesn't include The Doctor.

Unless they're just gonna' pull characters I already like from the past and give them shows. I suppose I'd give those a shot. I'd watch a River Song show.

But that's just what everybody else is doing and it's getting tiresome.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Feel like the best a Doctor Who game could possibly be would just be some elaborate version of playing through a good episode or story as a point-and-click or adventure game. Something linear, where maybe you can feel clever now and the noticing something before the Doctor does, playing as the companion. Unless they got really high-concept and had the story be about a videogame itself in some way, I have a hard time imagining a good Doctor Who videogame that wouldn't work just as well or better as non-interactive media.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I knew RTD wants to franchise the poo poo out of DW, I just overlooked "make some garbage mobile phone games" as part of his strategy

Disney's funding Doctor Who, now. Disney wants to franchise the poo poo out of it, because merchandise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Timby posted:

Disney's funding Doctor Who, now. Disney wants to franchise the poo poo out of it, because merchandise.

RTD was pretty open during the first run about wanting to produce spinoffs, which is how Torchwood and The Sara Jane Adventures happened, so I imagine he's not just paying lipservice in this current run when he talks about how great it is that Disney is putting in money to help them "build the franchise" (make a shitload of related merchandising opportunities).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This isn’t the first time DW has spawned a cheap mobile game. I vaguely recall playing some color-match thing where you collected Doctors and Companions around the time of Smith’s second or third season.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The art style is just so goddamn ugly.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This isn’t the first time DW has spawned a cheap mobile game. I vaguely recall playing some color-match thing where you collected Doctors and Companions around the time of Smith’s second or third season.

Even this game you mention, which I played for a while, had better art and a bit of a story going.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
I’ve been really enjoying the War Doctor episodes which are up on BBC Sounds.

Just finished ‘Pretty Lies’ and it was great! Real stakes, real tension, the Daleks being a real threat… and that brutal ending…!

Highly recommend checking out at least that episode if you haven’t listened to War Doctor before. The lack of context as to why they’re on the planet doesn’t harm the narrative at all.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Remember that Flash game based on Dalek?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Timby posted:

This reminds me: while I unfortunately don't have links handy at the moment, I read a couple news stories in recent weeks. One where RTD mentioned it was the BBC that initially approached Disney to co-fund/co-produce/co-whatever in regards to DW (which I must shamefully admit I was in error about; I had thought it was RTD and his production company that initiated that deal), and one where Chibnall apparently claimed that the BBC was on the verge of cancelling DW before Jodie Whittaker's final season (and that Chibnall somehow successfully lobbied the Beeb to let her get one final run of episodes). Apologies if this has been previously discussed, I just found both of those items kind of interesting.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I decided to watch some of RTD's episodes again and this David Tennant fellow is way too young to be the Doctor.

Khanstant posted:

Feel like the best a Doctor Who game could possibly be would just be some elaborate version of playing through a good episode or story as a point-and-click or adventure game. Something linear, where maybe you can feel clever now and the noticing something before the Doctor does, playing as the companion. Unless they got really high-concept and had the story be about a videogame itself in some way, I have a hard time imagining a good Doctor Who videogame that wouldn't work just as well or better as non-interactive media.

I tried the VR game which I didn't expect to be good, but it was worse than I expected. I just wanted to tool around time and space with my best buddy the Doctor and they couldn't even offer that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Khanstant posted:

There were a few of those, weren't there

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

Just rip off Day of the Tentacle.
The Tardis gets hit in the time stream with something unknown, resulting it 1/3 of it appearing in three places at once.
Doctor is in one time, and the two companions are trapped in the other two. One time zone has Daleks, one Cybermen, third Sontarans.
Need to communicate via the tardis phone on the outside to get it up and working again.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The lootboxes are from Kerblam!, that's dedication to a bit if nothing else.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Dabir posted:

There were a few of those, weren't there

There were a few point-and-click ones yeah, from the Matt Smith era.

They were pretty bad.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This one was actually pretty fun and a good time killer, and not pay to win in any way. Sure, it was just a color match game with Doctor Who set dressing, but it had lore, music and sound effects.

This new thing, I dunno. I'll check it out but hopes aren't high for anything fun.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

He looks like he's been through a Time War or three

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He's aged fast, it's only been uhhhhhhhhhhhh almost fifteen years

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Looks like a guy who had a whole bunch of kids!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dabir posted:

He's aged fast, it's only been uhhhhhhhhhhhh almost fifteen years

And in his first couple episodes he's made up to look even younger. He looks about 20 in The Christmas Invasion.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Yannick_B posted:

Looks like a guy who had a whole bunch of kids!

The Tardis left him.
Took half his regenerations in the settlement.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He looks great. I don't know what you're all on about. He's aging really gracefully.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, this just in, a 51 year old guy doesnt look quite as fresh faced as he did at 36, particularly when made up, lit and photographed entirely differently.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lmao 51!?! I would have guessed 30s, early 40s max.

and he was 36 the first time around! haha I thought he was in his 20s

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, this just in, a 51 year old guy doesnt look quite as fresh faced as he did at 36, particularly when made up, lit and photographed entirely differently.

Fifteen years and five kids later. That'll put some wrinkles on anyone.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah to be clear he looks great. The subject of my joke was the passage of time

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wonder if alternate-human-doctor and Rose have a bunch of baby docs running around.

I also forget, was that an alternate universe just without a Doctor but still all the tin can aliens and foes?

Okay so human-doctor and Rose do have a child, and "Pete's World" does have various threats plus the rose's dad inventing cyberman stuff. Rose and human Doctor get up to various adventures as well.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Five kids? Jesus christ he should just be a pile of wrinkles.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Five kids? Jesus christ he should just be a pile of wrinkles.
Having kids when you have money is a very different endeavor, which may be a piece of that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Are y'all saying that the secret to staying young and pretty is never having any kids?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The 1st Doctor had a grandaughter and looked 20 years older than he actually was. The 5th Doctor was actually played by a 17-year-old but having Adric around aged him to look like he was in his early 30s. The 11th Doctor doesn't count because he was built in a lab by Dr. Frankenstein.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vinylshadow posted:

He looks like he's been through a Time War or three

Don't you think he looks tired?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

n/m spoilers

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Not much of a spoiler, really. "I really like this episode!" is vague, and, who knows, could just be his opinion!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
The wait is killing me. Hopefully we get something from red noise day.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

red noise day.

It's just Sylvester McCoy saying,"Red. Red. Rrrrred. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRED!" over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I forgot how intense that story was until I looked it up to remind myself what happened in it. It sure uh went places.