Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Lord Bude posted:

I’d say the people who buy the non pro phones probably also wait longer between generations, so keeping the same SoC is less of a deal.

Also people that buy outright. I had the money for an 11, but I didn't consider the pro enough of an advantage for the ~$300 CAD price increase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I have two friends with 12 minis who will be upgrading to Pros at the end of the year because the battery life was so bad.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I buy all my phones outright and I don’t think I’d get enough out of the pro features to make the markup worth it, would rather get more storage. I do like that deep purple though

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I'm going to keep using my 13 Mini until it crumbles to dust in my hands. This is the perfect phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

I’d say the people who buy the non pro phones probably also wait longer between generations, so keeping the same SoC is less of a deal.

This is def correct. Most people who buy the 14 have an old phone and just want whatever deal.

This def is a US based analysis. In areas where it’s $200-300 more up front for the Pro sure then it’s a different call.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

hatty posted:

I buy all my phones outright and I don’t think I’d get enough out of the pro features to make the markup worth it, would rather get more storage. I do like that deep purple though

I don’t see why I shouldn’t get a pro when AT&T/Verizon/Xfinity/Tmobile wants to throw $1000 credits at me for my old iPhone. I’m not switching carriers and we get competitive discounts (40% off nurse + 20% employer), so I don’t mind being “locked in” to a plan/carrier.

Plus the price difference is pretty negligible over the 2-3 years of owning the device.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 9, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ManSedan posted:

I'm going to keep using my 13 Mini until it crumbles to dust in my hands. This is the perfect phone.
:emptyquote:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

ManSedan posted:

hell yeah

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

xzzy posted:

The new satellite feature is super cool IMO but it's clearly a first gen beta implementation, I assume once us idiots that bought a 14/14pro provide enough data for Apple to start cramming more features in it's gonna get a lot better.

It can definitely get better, but worked good enough to get me out of the woods when my slid into a snowbank just after christmas and got stuck in muddy snow, glad I had it. There were some times where it was a bit frustrating trying to keep track of the satellite but overall it worked.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Corb3t posted:

I don’t see why I shouldn’t get a pro when AT&T/Verizon/Xfinity/Tmobile wants to throw $1000 credits at me for my old iPhone. I’m not switching carriers and we get competitive discounts (40% off nurse + 20% employer), so I don’t mind being “locked in” to a plan/carrier.

Plus the price difference is pretty negligible over the 2-3 years of owning the device.

Yeah this is where I'm at.

Here's hoping we get some good colors this year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple Music Classical is launching March 28. Separate app, but included in an Apple Music sub.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
More metadata details basically.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

So they can charge another ten bucks a month

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

ManSedan posted:

At this point I'd be surprised if the next SE wasn't in a Mini frame.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

So they can charge another ten bucks a month

it doesn’t cost extra

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Metadata for classical music is all sorts of hosed on streaming apps.

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/04/411963624/why-cant-streaming-services-get-classical-music-right

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Kirios posted:

Apparently it's an 11 frame. :(

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Wow, sounds like DJ Mozart really did a lot of collabs!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh my god, Dominos made their app CarPlay compatible and you can legit order a pizza from your car head unit. The future is loving here.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Wake me when you can order a pizza that is actually fit for human consumption from your car head unit.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh my god, Dominos made their app CarPlay compatible and you can legit order a pizza from your car head unit. The future is loving here.

it's not exactly a BCI but they're getting there too... https://twitter.com/dominos/status/1527334937866559490

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kirios posted:

Current rumour is its going to be the 12's frame with a 6.1" screen, so the last bastion of smallphone is going away. Also I expect the separate app for classical is just as much about knowing the kinds of people who've been raging about it not being out yet for months are the type who'll be really annoying about having to scroll past the drat kids music to find their Bach or whatever.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 11, 2023

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Is there a way to keep notifications on the lock screen indefinitely? I'll often want to deal with an email or whatever later, but for some reason the notifications just disappear from the lock screen after some amount of screen unlocks or time or something. I know I can scroll up to see them on the lock screen, but that's not helpful.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Is there a way to keep notifications on the lock screen indefinitely? I'll often want to deal with an email or whatever later, but for some reason the notifications just disappear from the lock screen after some amount of screen unlocks or time or something. I know I can scroll up to see them on the lock screen, but that's not helpful.

Would asking Siri to set a reminder to check your email be fine, or are you one of those people that are inundated with spam and useless interdepartmental bullshit everyday, and need a notification froma specific person?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I put my phone on a MagSafe (not Apple brand but it brings up the MagSafe charging looking) charging pad last night and it lit up with the charging circle. I wake up this morning and my phone is dead (I put it on last night at 15 percent).

drat my inability to buy name brand and much more expensive products.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I put my phone on a MagSafe (not Apple brand but it brings up the MagSafe charging looking) charging pad last night and it lit up with the charging circle. I wake up this morning and my phone is dead (I put it on last night at 15 percent).

drat my inability to buy name brand and much more expensive products.

Try restarting your phone. Really.

My Belkin 3-in-1 MagSafe charger stopped charging my phone and it turned out that my 12 just needed a reboot. Works like a charm after. The damnedest thing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
This year is gonna be the upgrade year for me, and something im curious about is how much storage I'd want for my next phone. This is what it looks like currently with 128GB.

iOS says that "System Data" is just under 39GB and that This value will fluctuate according to system needs. Without this, I would have 73GB free instead of the 34GB that I have now. How "fluid", for lack of a better term, is this reserved space? Would it shrink up as I continue to fill my phone with apps/photos? Is it kind of like how Windows shows a lot of extra RAM being used when in reality its holding it for other resources and can properly utilize it when its needed?

I don't want to overspend on a 15 this fall when 128gb would suit me as it has since 2018, but the existence of this fat chunk of storage potentially being used up gives me pause.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

buglord posted:

This year is gonna be the upgrade year for me, and something im curious about is how much storage I'd want for my next phone. This is what it looks like currently with 128GB.

iOS says that "System Data" is just under 39GB and that This value will fluctuate according to system needs. Without this, I would have 73GB free instead of the 34GB that I have now. How "fluid", for lack of a better term, is this reserved space? Would it shrink up as I continue to fill my phone with apps/photos? Is it kind of like how Windows shows a lot of extra RAM being used when in reality its holding it for other resources and can properly utilize it when its needed?

I don't want to overspend on a 15 this fall when 128gb would suit me as it has since 2018, but the existence of this fat chunk of storage potentially being used up gives me pause.

How long has it been since you factory reset your phone?

Apple is generally better than Android "always format after every letter OS upgrade" phones, but even they aren't perfect at getting rid of junk data.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I did a fresh install on my 14 Pro and it’s at 25gb in system data. It’s just, and always has been, incredibly bad at regulating that stuff. MacOS isn’t much better.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Uh so when I got my 5c back in like 2014, that was a blank slate after coming from Android. From 5C to7 Plus, I did that iCloud transfer thing where the new phone magically gets all the apps and settings and wallpapers and everything ported over. Then I did the same process with upgrading the 7 Plus to the yellow XR. Does reclaiming that 30 or so gigs require me to set up the iPhone 15 (which will definitely launch with yellow as an option) as a new phone and not do all the automatic backup icloud magic?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I did a fresh install on my 14 Pro and it’s at 25gb in system data. It’s just, and always has been, incredibly bad at regulating that stuff. MacOS isn’t much better.

i was hoping this wasnt the case.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This was a while ago, and apparently a bug, but system data ballooned so much on my sister’s phone, we couldn’t free up the space required to update it (which would fix it) without deleting her photo library. I managed to in the end, but it took hours of troubleshooting (there was also an unrelated bug with updating over iTunes on pc).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I always do new with every single device, use iCloud to get my old pics/contacts, and then just download stuff as I find I need it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Guys I pay Tim Apple the $100 bullshit Tim tax every year to upgrade to the non-poverty next memory tier up. Massive profit margin but IMO worth it to not have to janitor even for one day of my ownership. We are Apple users are we supposed to be like janitors?

e: I also use the 'magic colorful cloud' popup type of upgrading to a new device, and I haven't had to decide what to keep, remove, or add on a new device in years. Apps I don't use are deleted from the phone automatically and in 7 or 8 months if I need them for a day, if I am connected to LTE or WiFi as I am 99% of the time, downloading the app again takes about 5 seconds.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 13, 2023

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Inner Light posted:

Guys I pay Tim Apple the $100 bullshit Tim tax every year to upgrade to the non-poverty next memory tier up. Massive profit margin but IMO worth it to not have to janitor even for one day of my ownership. We are Apple users are we supposed to be like janitors?

e: I also use the 'magic colorful cloud' popup type of upgrading to a new device, and I haven't had to decide what to keep, remove, or add on a new device in years. Apps I don't use are deleted from the phone automatically and in 7 or 8 months if I need them for a day, if I am connected to LTE or WiFi as I am 99% of the time, downloading the app again takes about 5 seconds.

I just buy a phone with lots of storage, OP

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

buglord posted:

You should give it a try with both of their suggestions on that screen. Gets you 16GB back with no real drawbacks. I think you could get by with 128GB, but more is nice.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
iOS sucks at managing the nebulous "System Data", it contains various caches that are supposed to flush when space is needed but I was unable to update to iOS 16 on my XR last fall because it had ballooned to some ridiculous size. I know for a fact Spotify's cache is included in that total because it's one of the few apps that had a manual "clear cache" option which instantly would yank back like 10GB of space from System Data. But good luck, OP, probably just gotta restore as new if you want that space (temporarily) back. Rather than do that, I just bought a 14, "thanks Apple."

(My system data is already over 26GB on this phone that's, what, not even six months old?)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sounds like Spotify is bad, OP

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
In my experience, doing a restore through iTunes/Finder and restoring a backup significantly reduces the system data size. I think it clears all the cache.

Also if you have iCloud Photos enabled and “Optimize iPhone Storage” enabled, if the full size photos and videos are on your phone, they fall under system data rather than photo data. See also: Optimize Music Storage. This is one of those things Apple should be clear about so people don’t get confused, but they choose to not be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

In my experience, doing a restore through iTunes/Finder and restoring a backup significantly reduces the system data size. I think it clears all the cache.

Also if you have iCloud Photos enabled and “Optimize iPhone Storage” enabled, if the full size photos and videos are on your phone, they fall under system data rather than photo data. See also: Optimize Music Storage. This is one of those things Apple should be clear about so people don’t get confused, but they choose to not be.

Sounds like Apple has some growing up to do.