Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Thundercracker posted:

I felt the same way about Persona 5 where the overt theme is Society is broken and the adults are cruel monsters. But even though the Phantom Thieves actually have the power to change things every single one of the lessons is basically stay in your lane, its individuals not the system that's bad.

I mean they're kind of stuck with that since they literally can only change one person at a time... unless they're a sidequest where you can do a bunch in one day.

(I get what you're saying though)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Pulsarcat posted:

I liked Aggretsuko but I kind of dropped off after season, three? The one with the Pop Idol plot.

I hated how both Haida and Retsuko's stories ended

Haida meeting another woman who he had much more in common with and ending up with her would have been better.

Not only would it have delivered a message that guys like Haida need to hear, namely "You can in fact always get "The girl" it's just that she's rarely the one you fixated on because she was nice to you once, so maybe try meeting other people."

But it would have tied into the theme of Retsuko sitting there passively because deep down she thinks all of her options and opportunities will always be there. So seeing that even Haida is moving on with his life would give her the kick too the rear end she needs to finally take a risk.

Speaking of which,

It's real cool how the show spent three seasons building up that Retsuko's real passion was singing and how she needed to take a risk, only to back hand her the instant she does in the cruelest most mean spirited way possible.

Again, I did like the show, it was funny and the characters were great, but at the end it was a show that liked to bring up how awful the status quo is, only to never risk breaking away from it.

I lost interest when it became clear they were going to drag the "will they or won't they?" out with Haida eternally until there was a lovely rushed pay off. That and constantly wrecking Retsuko any loving time she puts a toe out her lane is aggravating at best.

it did however lead to me finding this baller rear end remix of Aggro girl by Trash Panda so at least I got something out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4RVDcoRecQ

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1BfO7VlIw4

new episdoe was pretty good.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

That was so great!

feral millie is amazing :allears:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Did he....did he kill his own mother?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I think so :ohdear:

Moxxie's dad sucks but the dildos were stupid funny

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 11, 2023

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I rewatched and That was definitely his mom. Moxie being hesitant to kill that mom in the first ep makes alooot more sense.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Shindragon posted:

I rewatched and That was definitely his mom. Moxie being hesitant to kill that mom in the first ep makes alooot more sense.

Something else that rings different in hindsight

:catstare:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The animation in that episode was absolutely fantastic. They really wanted Millie's rampages to look good. This was just a solid episode all around. I really love the dynamic of the main three and I'm gonna be sad whenever there's that eventually episode that really causes some major friction between Blitzo and the other two.

Gotta say, Richard Horvitz doesn't get enough credit. Like all his voices are generally some flavor of Zim, but his overall acting is so good. I pretty quickly forgot that Moxxie and his dad were the same voice.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

There seems to be some discussion in the comments about whether or not that was actually her. Some people seem to think she was dead before they got in the boat and the person under the bag was meant to be misleading. It's pretty dark either way, I would've liked to explore that history a bit more. How did that relationship come to be

Also "buckle up Millie. We're doing a SHREK" :lol:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah I was thinking that Moxie being the son of a mob boss was in the character outline, at least, from the start. I mean his name is Moxie; it's so 1920-30s.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heh. "Herpes the Clown."

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Sharks don’t have skeletons. 0/10 I demand realism in my animated adult oriented features.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Maybe shark demons have skeletons.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

My other favorite on-going joke/character trait is Moxxie's love of Phantom of the Opera

Bless :allears:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 11, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Have y'all made a separate thread for that show?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I mean new episodes only come out every couple of months, there's not a ton to talk about after the initial episode reactions

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

We also have goons working on it so let it rock.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I'd be down for a separate thread. It could serve as a combination Helluva/Hazbin thread, for when Hazbin finally premiers.

Macaluso posted:

I mean new episodes only come out every couple of months, there's not a ton to talk about after the initial episode reactions

But I also agree with this.

I'd be down either way. Would love a dedicated space for this show that I could go to that isn't the loving subreddit

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neeksy posted:

Have y'all made a separate thread for that show?

yeah, id be down for that.

Happy Landfill posted:

I'd be down for a separate thread. It could serve as a combination Helluva/Hazbin thread, for when Hazbin finally premiers.

But I also agree with this.

I'd be down either way. Would love a dedicated space for this show that I could go to that isn't the loving subreddit

yeah, i am part of a discord about it and while it can be chill, it gets it really weird and super angry fights about shipping or weird stupid poo poo.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, id be down for that.

yeah, i am part of a discord about it and while it can be chill, it gets it really weird and super angry fights about shipping or weird stupid poo poo.

I cannot stand shippers :cripes:

edit: ehh, that last part's a bit off topic I'll edit it out.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 12, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

I cannot stand shippers :cripes:

edit: ehh, that last part's a bit off topic I'll edit it out.

its not even really the shippers. its more like weird "the show is awful because its not grimdark enough OR doesnt have game of thrones style politics" or people hate watching it. like i dont like plenty of shows but i dont waste time hate watching it. its how you get velma.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its not even really the shippers. its more like weird "the show is awful because its not grimdark enough OR doesnt have game of thrones style politics" or people hate watching it. like i dont like plenty of shows but i dont waste time hate watching it. its how you get velma.

It gets really obnoxious when a lot of the criticism boils down to "this should be a different show" or "why are there jokes in this comedy show"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Warbird posted:

Sharks don’t have skeletons. 0/10 I demand realism in my animated adult oriented features.

They do, they're just made out of cartilage rather than bone

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, the people who don't pay attention to the bit after 'Stolas is more powerful than Alastor' with 'Vivzie also hadn't really thought about it.'

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I wish I could like those shows, but my personal run-ins with the creator back when she was a student left some sour taste and I never really looked back. It was the same for Owl House, and Kirbopher, etc.

I mean, I hope that they're not the way I encountered them back then, but that's just how human memory and emotion works.

Onto another subject entirely – anyone else check out Pobre diablo aka Poor Demon on HBO Max?
The animation is pretty choppy, but there's potential in there.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 12, 2023

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I actually liked this episode the most out of season 2 so far. I thought it was excellent on every level. But straight up one of the critiques I read was Moxxie's flashback gets undermined by the dildo joke and I'm like--actually I thought they panned that out perfectly. We see Moxxie's father is a genuinely terrifying guy you don't want to gently caress with and then we get a scene of him glowering surrounded by his dumb rainbow dildos. Knowing this guy is a major threat now makes the scene that much funnier so I don't know what they're on about. Also shame about Chaz being a one shot as he was lot of fun to hate. But also I'm amazed a guy that dumb managed to survive as long as he did. They also seem to be mad that his dad was homophobic since they're in hell already but--it's pretty standard for most crime families to be homophobic because they're pretty big on having direct heirs to marry off into other families. Crimson is literally a classic mafioso so again I don't get the blowback.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, the people who don't pay attention to the bit after 'Stolas is more powerful than Alastor' with 'Vivzie also hadn't really thought about it.'

I don't think Helluva Boss is going to get into that kind of thing too deeply anyway. Like Alastor and Stolas are probably never going to interact, and characters like the Overlords, Alastor and Satan himself are probably only going to get background cameos on a TV or something. Helluva Boss seems mostly centered around the various relationships of the main cast than the bigger picture of hell. Azomdeus is probably the most high ranking dude we've seen so far I think? I mean most of the villains have been some manner of Imp. I imagine the purge thing that happens every year will be explored plenty in Hazbin Hotel, but Helluva Boss will probably at most use it as a like "lets tell stories around the fire while we're locked down" kind of episode

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I don't think Helluva Boss is going to get into that kind of thing too deeply anyway. Like Alastor and Stolas are probably never going to interact, and characters like the Overlords, Alastor and Satan himself are probably only going to get background cameos on a TV or something. Helluva Boss seems mostly centered around the various relationships of the main cast than the bigger picture of hell. Azomdeus is probably the most high ranking dude we've seen so far I think? I mean most of the villains have been some manner of Imp. I imagine the purge thing that happens every year will be explored plenty in Hazbin Hotel, but Helluva Boss will probably at most use it as a like "lets tell stories around the fire while we're locked down" kind of episode

Not to mention going by the season 2 trailer Asmodeus and Fizzarolli are getting an episode to themselves. Helluva boss has a smaller cast and tends to be more focused on the ones they do establish.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Well thread, you got me to finally start Helluva Boss

And finish it. drat, that’s good toons. Definitely wasn’t sure if I was feeling it at first but it settled in pretty quick.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Neeksy posted:

I wish I could like those shows, but my personal run-ins with the creator back when she was a student left some sour taste and I never really looked back. It was the same for Owl House, and Kirbopher, etc.

I mean, I hope that they're not the way I encountered them back then, but that's just how human memory and emotion works.

Onto another subject entirely – anyone else check out Pobre diablo aka Poor Demon on HBO Max?

Well Kirbopher is a huge creep and serial abuser

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Kirbopher? Haven't heard that name in like fifteen years, was he the Brawl Taunts guy?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
He did the Super Mario RPG forest song remix iirc

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Last I heard of Kirbopher he nuked a gig voicing Byleth in Fire Emblem three days before the game came out because he couldn't keep his mouth shut.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Well Kirbopher is a huge creep and serial abuser
Yeah, it was really irritating watching his career until it -finally- imploded because of it.
He was a creep as a student, also extremely lazy about improving on anything. Sometimes he faked compositing assignments in Flash instead of After Effects because he flat-out refused to learn.

Viv never learned how to properly inbetween or plan keys.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 12, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

Last I heard of Kirbopher he nuked a gig voicing Byleth in Fire Emblem three days before the game came out because he couldn't keep his mouth shut.

Yeah. Couldn't sit tight on his boyhood dream for half a week, but couldn't happen to a nicer person.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neeksy posted:

I am curious to ask what you thought of her, as much as i like her work, i wouldnt be fully shocked if she was kinda of shithead in college or whatever, to me she strikes me as every other artistic girl i knew in high school(and honestly a couple artists i commisoned from). mostly nice but also super hair trigger about various stuff and will turn on you hard if bad poo poo happens. but again. i met her for like 2 min and she seemed nice enough so gently caress if i know.

I probably feel weirdly 'defensive" about her because everytime twitter types try to burn her, its over dumb poo poo she did as a teenager or some are she made at 20 or some stupid poo poo. it reminds me of the lindsey elis horror show where she got dragged on twitter for dumb poo poo she "did" until she left and never did videos again.

Macaluso posted:

yeah. like HB seems more like the blue collar story of hell where the highest person in the main cast is a habsburg failson who is like 90ths from throne at worst is your lovely manager rather compared to HH which is either deamon royalty or weird dicks who ended up in hell as weird tumblr monsters. i honestly think i just enjoy HB "races" and poo poo way more then HH characters.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 12, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I actually liked this episode the most out of season 2 so far. I thought it was excellent on every level. But straight up one of the critiques I read was Moxxie's flashback gets undermined by the dildo joke and I'm like--actually I thought they panned that out perfectly. We see Moxxie's father is a genuinely terrifying guy you don't want to gently caress with and then we get a scene of him glowering surrounded by his dumb rainbow dildos. Knowing this guy is a major threat now makes the scene that much funnier so I don't know what they're on about. Also shame about Chaz being a one shot as he was lot of fun to hate. But also I'm amazed a guy that dumb managed to survive as long as he did. They also seem to be mad that his dad was homophobic since they're in hell already but--it's pretty standard for most crime families to be homophobic because they're pretty big on having direct heirs to marry off into other families. Crimson is literally a classic mafioso so again I don't get the blowback.

I am actually they killed chaz. the show has an issue where it keeps villians and baddies around for "until next time, IMP, until next time" type moments. I like that chaz was a dumb shithead who tried to play a desperate psycho and his mob and hosed around and found out.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am curious to ask what you thought of her, as much as i like her work, i wouldnt be fully shocked if she was kinda of shithead in college or whatever, to me she strikes me as every other artistic girl i knew in high school(and honestly a couple artists i commisoned from). mostly nice but also super hair trigger about various stuff and will turn on you hard if bad poo poo happens. but again. i met her for like 2 min and she seemed nice enough so gently caress if i know.

I probably feel weirdly 'defensive" about her because everytime twitter types try to burn her, its over dumb poo poo she did as a teenager or some are she made at 20 or some stupid poo poo. it reminds me of the lindsey elis horror show where she got dragged on twitter for dumb poo poo she "did" until she left and never did videos again.

She was like a few of the others around that time who had large existing fandoms on DeviantArt, and could kind of coast by on that without really picking up that much from instructors or feeling much need to challenge themselves artistically or sometimes even technically. I think I remember they had an Adobe sponsorship, or some kind of ad that she was featured in during her time at the school, but at this point that might have been after since my memory of that is hazier than the others. With her specifically my interactions were less interpersonal so there's no "she was a huge dick" like some others; it was mostly looking at the progress of her work and assignments over time, despite not being an instructor. (I would often be working on my own things in the classroom that had the light tables while classes in other years would go on in the background, and since the teachers knew from experiences with me in their other classes that I could give specific, actionable critique with possible reference on the fly, they'd sometimes ask me to comment when the students in their classes were dead silent or could only articulate "i liked it" out of social pressure, so I ended up seeing a lot of work from lots of students in the years before and after me, etc.)

Viv's storytelling and aesthetic were never really my thing so I can't really be objective there other than that her designs were often visually busy in ways that wouldn't animate easily or read particularly well in motion, and her inbetweening & keyframe planning have never really been her strong suit, resulting in a herky-jerky yet blobbly animation that struggled to keep the characters features from growing and shrinking from one key to the next because she never went back to check her keys for consistency within the shot, or didn't plan out the motion arcs so a body feature or limb would just randomly flip position midway through in a distracting way that was clearly a "oops I forgot to think about that in the arc" way, etc. and that never seemed to improve or change.

At the very least she -WASN'T- the one who, when asking a teacher for a rec letter, told said teacher that they weren't going to be like the other students who would go into the industry for a little bit, fail, and then have to become a teacher. That person was extremely skilled and challenged themselves but had the worst drat attitude.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Neeksy posted:

At the very least she -WASN'T- the one who, when asking a teacher for a rec letter, told said teacher that they weren't going to be like the other students who would go into the industry for a little bit, fail, and then have to become a teacher. That person was extremely skilled and challenged themselves but had the worst drat attitude.
holy poo poo :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neeksy posted:

She was like a few of the others around that time who had large existing fandoms on DeviantArt, and could kind of coast by on that without really picking up that much from instructors or feeling much need to challenge themselves artistically or sometimes even technically. I think I remember they had an Adobe sponsorship, or some kind of ad that she was featured in during her time at the school, but at this point that might have been after since my memory of that is hazier than the others. With her specifically my interactions were less interpersonal so there's no "she was a huge dick" like some others; it was mostly looking at the progress of her work and assignments over time, despite not being an instructor. (I would often be working on my own things in the classroom that had the light tables while classes in other years would go on in the background, and since the teachers knew from experiences with me in their other classes that I could give specific, actionable critique with possible reference on the fly, they'd sometimes ask me to comment when the students in their classes were dead silent or could only articulate "i liked it" out of social pressure, so I ended up seeing a lot of work from lots of students in the years before and after me, etc.)

Viv's storytelling and aesthetic were never really my thing so I can't really be objective there other than that her designs were often visually busy in ways that wouldn't animate easily or read particularly well in motion, and her inbetweening & keyframe planning have never really been her strong suit, resulting in a herky-jerky yet blobbly animation that struggled to keep the characters features from growing and shrinking from one key to the next because she never went back to check her keys for consistency within the shot, or didn't plan out the motion arcs so a body feature or limb would just randomly flip position midway through in a distracting way that was clearly a "oops I forgot to think about that in the arc" way, etc. and that never seemed to improve or change.

ok so mostly technical side stuff. makes sense. i dont know enough about art to argure either way.

normally id agree that her aesthetic isn't my thing but I think with HB it has enough creature design and symitry and character pathos that i genuinly like it. but then again i am one of those weirdos who depises rebecca sugars style of character design. so to each their own.