Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Frosted Flake posted:

How stupid are we if we let the Americans bait us into this?

UBC has a few great books on Canada’s policy towards the pacific and it’s a history of us being led around by the nose by the UK or US. It would be nice to not do that, seeing as the Head Tax is just beyond living memory.

We're spending $19 billion or so on F35s, we're already hooked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Frosted Flake posted:

How stupid are we if we let the Americans bait us into this?

Well, it's not the first time we've disregarded the direction and advice of old-guard Canadian politicians regarding Chinese relations...

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Another Bill posted:

I mean, do empires really need to bait their vassal states into doing anything

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

On a similar note, our boy Michael (Count Iggy) was chatting with Rosemary Barton about The Ukraine the other day. Shockingly, he had nothing interesting or insightful to say.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

pokeyman posted:

nationalize grocers today

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/CTVToronto/status/1634367542612439042

More "sources say" with caveats that no wrongdoing has been found, but Ford certainly found someone to take the heat off him. God forbid anyone follows up on Doug's meetings with the five families. That would be anti-Italian.

Ke is probably lovely and his politics certainly aren't mine, but as an Asian-Canadian I don't like where this is going and how hard the media is going at this.

crispyseaweed has issued a correction as of 05:20 on Mar 11, 2023

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

It's a loving oppo hot war

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

also lmao that a sitting supreme court judge is suspended for getting in a bar fight in Arizona

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

crispyseaweed posted:

https://twitter.com/CTVToronto/status/1634367542612439042

Ke is probably lovely and his politics certainly aren't mine, but as an Asian-Canadian I don't like where this is going and how hard the media is going at this.

Especially considering there is no reason not to just suspect all politicians of some kind of corruption. If you scrutinize any politician something that looks bad will come to light. Only we're just going to shine the eye of Sauron on the Asian ones.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm sure most politicians got bribes from Chinese companies for this or that because our entire government is captured by capital, but they also got bribed by canadian and american corporations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's patriotic to receive bribes from Canadian mining companies to overlook their crimes against humanity abroad

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Finally the Quebec construction industry is above suspicion!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Frosted Flake posted:

lol

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Frosted Flake posted:

Charest's Plan Nord was a big give-away to chinese mining companies lol.

lmao even

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ke's biggest mistake was not poorly covering his tracks by funneling the bribes through a stag and doe.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

say what you will about low-scale quebec construction biz corruption now, at least it's all homegrown

i think

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Dreylad posted:

say what you will about low-scale quebec construction biz corruption now, at least it's all homegrown

i think

Naples, Quebec.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Dreylad posted:

i think

let them cook, they're investigating 'Chinese police stations' in Montreal and Brossard, quebec construction gotta be in on that state support lolol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
ceinture & route

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Dreylad posted:

ceinture & route

this is 98% of the way to a thread title

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
ceinture & route, tant qu’ils parlent franca?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
ceinture & route, tant que c’est fait maison

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ceinture & Route 2: LaSalles Revenge

quote:

Lachine[Quebec], apparently from the French term la Chine (China), is often said to have been named in 1667, in mockery of its then owner René-Robert Cavelier de La Salle, who explored the interior of North America trying to find a passage to China. When he returned without success, he and his men were derisively named les Chinois (the Chinese). The name was adopted when the parish of Saints-Anges-de-la-Chine was created in 1676, with the form Lachine appearing with the opening of a post office in 1829.[6]

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Another Bill posted:

Ceinture & Route 2: LaSalles Revenge

I love it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Have you noticed middle class people fretting about “Chinese car theft rings” lately? I was at a dinner party last night where BMWs being stolen from your driveway and shipped to Shanghai was a topic of conversation, as well as what to do to prevent it.

I’m assuming this is not a real problem, but where’s this coming from? Everyone knew someone who knew someone, or said their neighbours noticed Chinese people looking at cars on their street (yikes), but… this is a weird way to stir up anti-Chinese sentiment, isn’t it?

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
These car theft for foreign shipping stories seem to pop up every once in a while, and hey, a pro international car theft crew from a hostile nation operating in my town? Very exciting stuff to discuss with my buddies.

You'd think there would be actual news stories if specific high end vehicles are being heavily targeted by expert thieves to the extent that everyone in town knows this is happening. Brazenly stealing from driveways and never got on a ring cam? Somehow everyone also knows for sure they are mass exporting the cars to China (Shanghai specifically) but law enforcement at all levels has decided not to get involved.

I think it is just an exciting fantasy story to speculate on that got repurposed for the current "enemy"

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Frosted Flake posted:

Have you noticed middle class people

I try not to

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

Have you noticed middle class people fretting about “Chinese car theft rings” lately? I was at a dinner party last night where BMWs being stolen from your driveway and shipped to Shanghai was a topic of conversation, as well as what to do to prevent it.

I’m assuming this is not a real problem, but where’s this coming from? Everyone knew someone who knew someone, or said their neighbours noticed Chinese people looking at cars on their street (yikes), but… this is a weird way to stir up anti-Chinese sentiment, isn’t it?

I think they announced a new fast & furious movie

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

ben shapino posted:

I think they announced a new fast & furious movie

驚天動地69秒

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
Our Honda CRV was stolen in broad daylight from the parking lot of the Montreal Biodome. Apparently it’s one of the most commonly stolen vehicles and it’s basically already in a shipping container by the time you notice. Not much to be done, and the police didn’t help aside from filing the report needed for our insurance claim.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

funny song about politics posted:

Our Honda CRV was stolen in broad daylight from the parking lot of the Montreal Biodome. Apparently it’s one of the most commonly stolen vehicles and it’s basically already in a shipping container by the time you notice. Not much to be done, and the police didn’t help aside from filing the report needed for our insurance claim.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Can you rely on a crossover SUV to empower your every adventure? Yes you can. Because in the all-new Honda CR-V, endless possibilities come standard. Peace of mind is key in the CR-V. That's why it's soecially engineered so you can brace the elements with confidence. Whether you're weekday commuting or weekend cruising, the CR-V takes you in style.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
serves you right for driving a gas guzzling 4 cylinder death machine

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

lmao it owns that CBSA regulary intercepts these shipments but is powerless to stop them because RCMP is so loving lazy

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

COPE 27 posted:

lmao it owns that CBSA regulary intercepts these shipments but is powerless to stop them because RCMP is so loving lazy

They're not lazy, they're just too busy staying true to their roots, clamping down on dissent and land defenders

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

But why CRVs?

You would think it only be worth the risk and cost to ship back luxury cars, right?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Frosted Flake posted:

But why CRVs?

You would think it only be worth the risk and cost to ship back luxury cars, right?

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

For those trips with extra passengers, every Honda CR-V is big on room. And even though they may not be in the driver's seat, they'll enjoy the ride just as much, with generous rear seat legroom and a spacious interior that provides at-home comfort on the road. You wanted to step into some power? You got it. With enhanced versatility and a sportier ride, the CR-V is engineered to give solid drivability by delivering an intuitive response when loss of traction occurs. In any condition, the Honda CR-V is confident.

Was your car stolen? It may have left Canada through the Port of Montreal

quote:

It's difficult to know exactly how many stolen vehicles are being shipped out of Montreal, but an increasing number from Canada are being found abroad, said Renato Schipani, a criminal intelligence officer at Interpol.

"We find hundreds of stolen Canadian cars in Italy being shipped through Italy to the Middle East, then hundreds of Canadian cars tracked and located in West Africa," said Schipani, who is based at Interpol's head office in Lyon, France and specializes in vehicle theft.

A recent investigation by CBC's Marketplace found vehicles stolen from Ontario and Quebec were openly being advertised and sold in West African countries, including Nigeria and Ghana.

It seems like a combination of push-to-start being easier to steal, increased demand in the developing world, supply disruptions dating back to covid and increasing levels of coordination among criminal groups

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Another contributing factor is manufacturers refusing to sell in a bunch of markets even though there's clearly demand. All these stolen lexuses and poo poo end up in Africa being sold at a significant premium. Your dinner guests were basically bang on the money with the exception of the whole "IT'S THE CHINESE!" bit.
It's definitely organized crime but idk what groups would be known to run significant smuggling operations in the port of Montreal.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
It seems like it would be pretty easy to crack the case. Some decoy vehicles, a GPS tracker, a warrant, wouldn’t take much to get a good sense of where these things tend to be going. I wouldn’t doubt that some on the force are paid not to do it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

It seems like it would be pretty easy to crack the case. Some decoy vehicles, a GPS tracker, a warrant, wouldn’t take much to get a good sense of where these things tend to be going. I wouldn’t doubt that some on the force are paid not to do it.

I can’t believe you’re implying the cops are not 100% heroic, noble and infallible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RBC posted:

serves you right for driving a gas guzzling 4 cylinder death machine