Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I literally grabbed these at Ikea this afternoon lol

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/korken-bottle-with-stopper-clear-glass-80476334/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Those are difficult to clean, I much prefer the Rubbermaid MixerMate Servin' Savers. Whole top comes off for easy filling and clean out, no funnel necessary and can be thrown in dishwasher.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I just have a bottle brush, never had an issue cleaning those out :shrug: (i use a bigger version of those for my demerara syrup)

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I just made myself a Jungle Bird, which I remember being mentioned in this thread a while back. Wow! I love this drink! Beautiful color, lovely texture, and the Campari and lime/pineapple juices complement each other perfectly. I will definitely be making this one again.

No picture because my countertop's a mess.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

tonedef131 posted:

Those are difficult to clean, I much prefer the Rubbermaid MixerMate Servin' Savers. Whole top comes off for easy filling and clean out, no funnel necessary and can be thrown in dishwasher.

Not really. Hot water 1/2 way. A couple drops of dish soap. Seal. Shake. Empty. Add more water. Shake again. Rinse until the water runs clear. Never had a problem.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Qylvaran posted:

I just made myself a Jungle Bird, which I remember being mentioned in this thread a while back. Wow! I love this drink! Beautiful color, lovely texture, and the Campari and lime/pineapple juices complement each other perfectly. I will definitely be making this one again.

No picture because my countertop's a mess.

Which recipe? 4 oz of PJ or the one with a lot less?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I discovered that there is such a thing as pink pineapple, and I bought one today.

It's very good and very pretty. I bet it would work well in a JB, will probably try it tomorrow before it's all eaten

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Which recipe? 4 oz of PJ or the one with a lot less?

A lot less. Here's what I used:

1.5oz rum
.75oz campari
1.5oz pineapple juice
.5oz lime juice
.5oz maple syrup

The rum I used was Appleton Estate Signature Blend (it's what I had. Open to suggestions for a better dark rum for mixing).

Data Graham posted:

I discovered that there is such a thing as pink pineapple, and I bought one today.

That website sure lays it on thick with the "potential health benefits".

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Qylvaran posted:

A lot less. Here's what I used:

1.5oz rum
.75oz campari
1.5oz pineapple juice
.5oz lime juice
.5oz maple syrup

The rum I used was Appleton Estate Signature Blend (it's what I had. Open to suggestions for a better dark rum for mixing).

That website sure lays it on thick with the "potential health benefits".

Maple syrup? That's an odd recipe. I guess you subbed it for the simple/demerara. I didn't like that version when I made it and was surprised it was popular. When I found what I believe to be the original recipe, which is the same but with 4 oz PJ, I tried that and was surprised how much more drinkable it was. I used the recipe from Beachbum Berry who is the guy who wanders around finding the OG recipes of all the tiki drinks.

Anyway, try it with 4 PJ and see the difference. Smugglers cove says 2 oz which is adapted from Berry.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
That's wild. When I make that drink I use 1oz pineapple. Maybe it's just the style around here but I do prefer a shorter drink with less juice, generally speaking.

The Jungle Bird is very accommodating to riffing, by the way. Swap out the Campari for other amari or liqueurs, use a different fruit juice, mess with the rums or swap in agave spirits. I have a drink on the menu at work with the pineapple subbed out for a paw paw cordial and the demerara removed entirely. Now that I think about it, a variation using guava nectar would probably be really good.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

It wasn't the recipe I ended up using, but the website that made me go "Jungle Bird, huh? I remember hearing those are good" suggested the maple syrup sub, and I find that rum and maple go well together, so that's what I did.

I can try more than doubling the pineapple, but I tend to prefer my drinks shorter and more spirit-forward. The recipe I used tasted very balanced to my palate.

Edit:

prayer group posted:

Maybe it's just the style around here but I do prefer a shorter drink with less juice, generally speaking.

:):respek::)

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 5, 2023

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
i would not describe myself as someone who prefers "sweet" cocktails, but i also recently noticed the discrepancy between beachbum and smugglers cove and i agree that a jungle bird does better with 4 oz pineapple juice than 2 oz.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I like pineapple juice and I like sweet (up to a point) and I remember making the 4oz pineapple spec as my first jungle bird and thinking that was way too much pineapple. Maybe I should go back and try it both ways now that I've had a lot more tiki drinks under my belt.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think the 4 PJ is to balance the .75 campari. 1.5 PJ to .75 campari is not much. Maybe if it was .25 campari.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I love Jungle Bird both ways but find the 4oz pineapple ones don’t need the simple called for in the BBB recipe. The bitterness from the Campari stands up a bit more but it’s still plenty sweet for my palate.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I just have a bottle brush, never had an issue cleaning those out :shrug: (i use a bigger version of those for my demerara syrup)

I should prob grab a tiny bottle brush, I have one that’s full of Oxyclean now trying to get the orgeat organic deposits off the inside. I use empty 750ml liquor bottles for my Demerara syrup, Falernum and grenadine. No need to clean them out once they’re empty as there’s always a fresh supply of them coming through.

Those little Rubbermaid ones are so much more convenient for smaller volume syrups though. Wide base so they never tip over in the fridge, short enough to go on any of the mini-fridge shelves where the glass can on fit on the bottom, flip off spout for easy pour, can sharpie directly on them, screw off top for no-funnel filling and can wash it right on the sink mounted glass brush in the bar sink.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Why not grab some of the squat 10oz glass soda bottles. I think schweppes is the brand I’ve seen recently.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
For my jungle birds (which I make big and serve in Tiki mugs) I go:

2 oz rum
.5 oz overproof rum, usually Wray and Nephew
1 oz campari
4 oz pineapple juice
1 oz lime juice
.75 oz syrup

Usually the rum is something like Appleton Signature but it's also fun to do this with darker things like Bacardi Black, Goslings Black strap, or Meyers - the bitter molasses notes work well here.

About half the time I replace the campari with Cynar 70. This is very good.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You really don't have to work hard to get juice out of these pink mofos, they're juicy as heck

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Since there is no green chartreuse anymore:

Pimm's Caip

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 5, 2023

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

I think the 4 PJ is to balance the .75 campari. 1.5 PJ to .75 campari is not much. Maybe if it was .25 campari.

Hmmm I might have used Aperol at the time so that might explain why I found 4oz PJ to be overpowering.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I went on a vacation with some friends two summers ago, and jungle birds were our go-to drinks all week. Really good cocktail, but that trip burned me out on them a little. But now I want to try some of those variations.

Recently I’ve found I really like cocktails that use a peaty scotch. I tried a Butter, Lemon, Smoke last night, and now it’s one of my all time favorites.

https://links.mixelcocktails.com/Zxuu

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I bought a drink mixer. I got tired of reading SC recipes that called for a flash blend and my drink coming out weird. So now I will see if it really is that much better.

Before I tried a Jungle Bird I tried this:

Pineapple Jungle Bird
1.5 cognac (I ended up subbing an aged rum and liked it more)
.5 Aperol
1 PJ
1 LJ
1 tbsp pineapple marmalade (I've since started using strawberry preserves)

Shake w/ ice

Double strain into coupe (I chill mine)

I've been calling my version a Macaw because I couldn't think of another red jungle bird. I think the name is dumb. But the drink is a crowd pleaser. My version, I mean. The drink on its own is fine but the rum and strawberry really bump it up, IMO. The jam/marmalade/preserves really add a texture to the drink.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Professor Wayne posted:

Recently I’ve found I really like cocktails that use a peaty scotch. I tried a Butter, Lemon, Smoke last night, and now it’s one of my all time favorites.

https://links.mixelcocktails.com/Zxuu

Penicillin is probably up your alley.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Chemmy posted:

Penicillin is probably up your alley.

A place close to me used to have a riff on it called a Vaccine that was pretty good! I'll make one or two this weekend.

I also didn't realize we were still in a such a bad green chartreuse shortage. Store I went to said they only had one order delivered in the past six months. Guess I'll nurse the rest of my bottle.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

my kinda ape posted:

Hmmm I might have used Aperol at the time so that might explain why I found 4oz PJ to be overpowering.

Just made a Jungle Bird to the 4oz PJ spec but with Campari this time and it's real good!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Made Don's Own Grow from the SC book. Used the flash blender. I'm struggling. I think maybe I need a different hawthorne. It's supposed to be open gate pour but it was so frothy that not much was coming out. Ultimately, I got the drink done and am pretty sure it was right. But man, getting used to the mixer is gonna take a bit.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

Made Don's Own Grow from the SC book. Used the flash blender. I'm struggling. I think maybe I need a different hawthorne. It's supposed to be open gate pour but it was so frothy that not much was coming out. Ultimately, I got the drink done and am pretty sure it was right. But man, getting used to the mixer is gonna take a bit.

I've had that problem with a couple drinks. I think you definitely want to use it in moderation, it mixes pretty quick so if you leave it on too long you'll end up with way too much froth.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

https://youtu.be/2RA3AaCO7A8

Has anybody here tried making “Super Juice”? I made a batch of lime and lemon juice and was pretty happy with the results. The mouthfeel isn’t quite the same as the juice of an actual citrus fruit, but I find the oils that get extracted out of the rind have a really great flavor that you don’t get from the juice. You really get a lot out of your fruit, and the acids didn’t cost me much.

I’ve even gotten into the habit of zesting any citrus I have and freezing it for future use. Normally I keep some frozen citrus ice cubes I can use for cocktails when I have friends over, but being able to just use frozen rinds to make fresh juice is pretty convenient.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 10, 2023

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Oh yea thread has talked about super juice a lot. I use Kevin Kos's ratio but 75% the water, freeze everything except my active supply in a small bottle. Just lime, I don't need lemon as often. More cook with lemon juice, not mix. I've always believed so much complex and characteristic flavor was in the zest so as soon as I heard about I had to start doing it.

Made passion fruit syrup from a juice reduction + introduce frozen pulp at the end. Love it. Margaritas and the white rum/bianco vermouth drink I had posted previously.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Eventually I'll get tired of hand-juicing 3-4 lemons/limes a week for my drinks and I'll have to try that super juice

e: also I'm glad I got that 3-pack of bottles, made too much demerara syrup so I added a bunch of crushed cinnamon bark to one of the bottles for a few days then strained out, and now I have cinnamon bark syrup!

I made a jet pilot last night and it was the only drink I needed :haw:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 10, 2023

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Corb3t posted:

https://youtu.be/2RA3AaCO7A8

Has anybody here tried making “Super Juice”? I made a batch of lime and lemon juice and was pretty happy with the results. The mouthfeel isn’t quite the same as the juice of an actual citrus fruit, but I find the oils that get extracted out of the rind have a really great flavor that you don’t get from the juice. You really get a lot out of your fruit, and the acids didn’t cost me much.

I’ve even gotten into the habit of zesting any citrus I have and freezing it for future use. Normally I keep some frozen citrus ice cubes I can use for cocktails when I have friends over, but being able to just use frozen rinds to make fresh juice is pretty convenient.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Thanks for all who chimed in on my bottle question, the rubbermaid ones looked very similar to what I wanted but couldn't find them in stock anywhere so I went with a similar set from amazon.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve been really enjoying Wisconsin Old Fashions, especially with some dashes of Reagan’s and extra orange juice (filtered). I’ve been using St Remy XO, but I’m out. What would be a good replacement brandy? I’m willing to go fruit flavoured.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

I’ve been really enjoying Wisconsin Old Fashions, especially with some dashes of Reagan’s and extra orange juice (filtered). I’ve been using St Remy XO, but I’m out. What would be a good replacement brandy? I’m willing to go fruit flavoured.

what about Pierre Ferrand 1840? Laird's Applejack is also good with OJ & Orange Bitters

TengenNewsEditor fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 12, 2023

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Neither available in my province (Nova Scotia)

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Neither available in my province (Nova Scotia)

I'd try Boulard Calvados or Hennessy VS

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Working on making a clarified milk punch based off of Thai iced tea. It's pretty good for a first pass, needs more vanilla-y notes tbh. Also turmeric will stain the poo poo out of things! Tea choice will also impact the flavor as well. Next time I might take the rhum and steep tea in that to really double down the tea flavor.

2 cups sugar
2 grapefruit
6 lemons + 2 for juice after
Cinnamon, star anise, all spice, green cardamom, turmeric, vanilla
Ground and sliced almonds
3 cups rhum barbancourt
1 cup cognac
1 cup disarono
1 liter tea brewed with 28 g of tea
1 quart milk

Oleo orange and grapefruit
Toast your spices
Toast the sliced almonds
Add citrus juice, almonds, and spices
Then add liquor and tea
Let sit
Strain
Add in some more lemon juice
Add to milk
Filter

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
As often happens when we have family over, I'm stuck with a way-too-large bottle of way-too-sweet red wine. Anyone have any ideas for cocktails that might help to use this stuff up? I'm thinking something similar to an Americano might work -- adding carbonation and bitterness seems like a win. Any other suggestions welcome.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I just keep those bottles on hand for when those kind of gusts return. Once open it becomes cooling wine or I dump it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Booties posted:

I just keep those bottles on hand for when those kind of gusts return. Once open it becomes cooling wine or I dump it.

:yeah: if it's open make a roast with it or pour it into the sink