Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
So like how do you get a piece of the risk free VC money

I got a idea for a start up that uses AI to diagnose diseases based on the volume length and timbre of farts

Money me money now me a money a lot needing now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Wait, did they just back door the money printer, but only for banks?

Buy a discounted treasury.

Take out a loan from the FDIC on its full value

In one year just quietly surrender the treasury

Easy profit.

I am probably missing something obvious, as I tend to missing things.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

spoiler: they will give the fed whatever they cant sell and pocket the money

same as it’s been for the past 15 years

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The_Franz posted:

how much of that is because younger people just don't want to get into it because it's 'boring', vs these kinds of jobs putting up a wall with low salaries and no chance of promotion because the people currently doing these jobs refuse to retire?
a little bit of column a and column b.

pay is still "good" but usually around 80k-150k depending on locality. that's not big figgy facebook toucher 300k+ballpits+work 6 hrs a week job that every starry-eyed college grad dreams of though. the thing about public work is there aren't really promotional ladders (and there's really no need for them of apprenctice/journeyman/master tier) and then usually into CPI wage adjustments

one of the things about starve the beast is once an entity falls into operating, they really can't open new jobs and can't budget/allocate overlapping positions. it also becomes a problem that you have to maintain 1982-era switchboards instead of new off-the-shelf siemans or whatever because that's outside of operating-basis budgets.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1635051366791139331

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
lol that every time the fed tries to even so much as look away from larding up its balance sheet with toxic waste a load bearing pillar of the economy implodes

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Raskolnikov38 posted:

spoiler: they will give the fed whatever they cant sell and pocket the money

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

so are they going to be able to cover 100% or is it just propaganda that they're doing it, and they won't actually be able to?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1635051685126221824?t=0VBrEp2iZrrWwVuGckTaTw&s=19

What if a number of wealthy individuals conspire to pull all their ones out of a bank and trigger a small bailout? They could just poof more money into existence with this.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
lol that we have to pretend the fed and the treasury aren’t the same thing in order to maintain the fiction of a free market

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Orvin posted:

Easy profit.

Yes

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

With Signature ethered is Binance the only remaining crypto nexus of note?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Wolfers is actually right and seems frustrated
https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1635052321410527232?t=bw8XXbSbhjjJh6CdyIPqKw&s=19

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

So like how do you get a piece of the risk free VC money

I got a idea for a start up that uses AI to diagnose diseases based on the volume length and timbre of farts

Money me money now me a money a lot needing now

you know people. its literally just a social club with a ton of money to throw around. VCs are sick freaks who get their rocks off seeing who can build the best "portfolio."

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Zero Hedge is wrong: they can just go to the Mint and BRRRR the Trillion dollar coin! *taps head*

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Why did ftx not be bailed out lol

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

What if a number of wealthy individuals conspire to pull all their ones out of a bank and trigger a small bailout? They could just poof more money into existence with this.

this is not the time for moral hazard lectures :mad:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

spacemang_spliff posted:

Dollar hegemony must not be failed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

spacemang_spliff posted:

cuz SBF donated publically to democrats, which is bad+makes conservatives mad, but also privately donated to republicans which makes democrats mad.

also no one cares about crypto junk

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/1635051544931622912?s=20

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
so the fdic has 125 billion on hand, can call another 100 billion into existence at any time, and now theres an extra 25 billion floating at the fed to bailout banks

anybody know what the total loses so far are

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

america is loving garbage

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

triple sulk posted:

america is loving garbage

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

You know shits bad when even that rear end in a top hat gets it

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

i cannot loving believe that i'm actually cheering on wolfers

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the "it has to be done" bullshit reply guy to Justin is maddening. Nobody can do anything for the poor and ailing, only tech bros. AND the fuckers have a chip on their shoulder about it now too lol

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

re: toxic assets -- these MBS/treasuries are not toxic the same way they were in 2008. They're long-term treasuries and some actually-valuable mortgage backed securities that just lost value when interest rates went down. They'll pay back par at maturity, so loans from the federal government to help banks wait it out is... gross, but not actually insane, and certainly not toxic.

Twerk from Home posted:

So the actual solution is going to be that some banks are able to borrow money at 1%, but everyone else has to borrow money at 6% or higher?

always have been.jpg

Orvin posted:

Easy profit.

hello it is me a recruiter for a bank i see you have a sharp mind - but do you lack the ethics necessary to really make it?

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Wait so if all of these banks are just illiquid, shouldn't they just go to the Fed overnight window and borrow the cash to pay out runs? That's the whole point of the Fed, right?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

The_Franz posted:

how much of that is because younger people just don't want to get into it because it's 'boring', vs these kinds of jobs putting up a wall with few openings, low salaries and no chance of promotion because the people currently doing these jobs refuse to retire?

The company I used to work for would hire a competent controls technician who showed up with his own tools $200/hr billed for project work.

'Competent controls technician' included someone who was a competent electrician who could be left alone to pull wire, troubleshoot wiring and electrical motors, troubleshoot SCADA, understood and could implement HMIs, and who could physically assist in moving equipment around/replacing broken equipment/etc.

At least on that end of the industry (wastewater, industrial water) it's difficult, loud, and uncomfortable work on the best of days and you'll always be a 1099. But you will be very well paid.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

"The futures - they are soaring" -- CNBC anchor

DOW SOARS

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

shoulda bought that dip

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

spacemang_spliff posted:

He lied and stole all the customers deposits to make super risky bets that went to zero.

This SVB blowup is incredibly funny because the toxic assets that they made a bad investment on and killed the bank are US treasuries!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so the fdic has 125 billion on hand, can call another 100 billion into existence at any time, and now theres an extra 25 billion floating at the fed to bailout banks

anybody know what the total loses so far are

Good question. SVB had ~200 billion in assets, not all of them were the uh-oh long term assets, ballpark 10 billion dollar hole (in that one bank).

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

spacemang_spliff posted:

ftx was doing things that were overtly illegal. this is more subtle

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

coelomate posted:

DOW SOARS

Futures had a big 70 point pop after the bailout news but have given back half of that.

Will get real interesting when Asian markets open in a couple hours. European markets open in the early morning.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

loving gross. sick to my stomach over this poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nonsense posted:

the "it has to be done" bullshit reply guy to Justin is maddening. Nobody can do anything for the poor and ailing, only tech bros. AND the fuckers have a chip on their shoulder about it now too lol

i hate them so much and felt like i was going insane in yospos

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

coelomate posted:

DOW SOARS

Well, yes - there was another country that had soaring (and stuck in place) futures... :hitler:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I don’t know why but I’m thinking a lot about guillotines and the romanovs and mao and the minnesota third precinct rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1635053808987545600

its not 2008 ok guys