Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

You know the pilots were asking/tempted to draw a dick. I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often. I know many USAF pilots that would gleefully draw tracking dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Budzilla posted:

What gets me is that in a full scale war this is the best show for cameras they can do for refurbishing their tanks. Not the age of the equipment itself but the amount of employees working and activity at the factory in the middle of a war with such a high vehicle attrition rate.

I'm guessing that this is because they aren't in the middle of a 'war' it's just a little special operation. A war would require mass conscription, to modify your economy towards production of weapons and ammo, government takeover of the whole range of industry - in WW2 European countries took over everything - your job, your food, your education, where you could travel to, everything was pivoted towards the war effort eventually. I can't imagine much enthusiasm for that level of overreach just over some 'denazification' of a neighbor. So everything just keeps staggering along using the same corrupt, grifting, half-assed way they've been doing things since the days of the USSR.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's probably not that much pressure when your opponent(s) can't put together a hundred tanks in a year either.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1634845013879431170
Behold the mighty "armored" vehicles of the Russian army. Outdated garbage that's going to end up but target practice for modern IFVs and tanks sent to Ukraine.
Outdated tanks are still better than no tanks. This is the same principle that's behind the planned delivery to Ukraine of Leopard 1 tanks.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

According to reports, Russia is expanding its ratfucking operation in Moldova. I have no idea how credible this is, although I have to assume that ap has reliable sources.

https://apnews.com/article/moldova-protests-russia-unrest-plot-24b55d877401cf3d2122c21fe17ef1da

quote:

Moldova police say they foiled Russia-backed unrest plot

CHISINAU, Moldova (AP) — Police in Moldova said they foiled a plot by groups of Russia-backed actors who were trained to cause mass unrest during a Sunday protest against the country’s new pro-Western government.

The head of Moldova’s police, Viorel Cernauteanu, said in a news conference that an undercover agent had infiltrated groups of “diversionists,” some Russian citizens, who allegedly were promised $10,000 to organize “mass disorder” during the protest in the capital, Chisinau. Seven people were detained, he said.

Separately, police said they arrested 54 protesters, including 21 minors, who exhibited “questionable behavior” or were found to be carrying prohibited items, including at least one knife.

The protest Sunday is one of several held in recent weeks organized by a group calling itself Movement for the People, which is backed by Moldova’s Russia-friendly Shor Party, which holds six seats in the country’s 101-seat legislature.

The demonstrators are demanding that the government fully cover the costs of winter energy bills and to “not involve the country in war.” They have repeatedly called on President Maia Sandu to step down.

Police said that four bomb threats on Sunday, including one at the capital’s international airport, had been registered, which they called “an ongoing part of the destabilization measures” against Moldova, a former Soviet republic with a population of about 2.6 million.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1635035456122535940

lol lmao

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Please Moldova, invite Ukraine to finish off the Russian force in Transnistria. Just nip the whole thing for good

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

To accompany, there was also an updated list of the best people in the world:

1. Me
2. Us
3. Them

It is the same list as last time, so it's re-confirmed.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Hello, I would like to start a war with a second country.
Yes, it's me again, the guy with the clown army using whatever rusty old poo poo we've got left after losing so much in the first war, how is this relevant?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

DiomedesGodshill posted:

You know the pilots were asking/tempted to draw a dick. I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often. I know many USAF pilots that would gleefully draw tracking dicks.

Living the dream for us all

I can't see Ukraine thinking it's a good idea to open a second front right now

Noel update
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1635046257235492865?t=mm2SViHTFgqWb6qn8R_rvQ&s=19
Luka went to Iran
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1635046261312352256?s=19
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1635046265389191168?t=rXx462jJPCudH_sdy3lc3A&s=19

Maps:
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1635046270330093568?t=rgt9PZyRTOPwSqVlV92hPQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1635046274616692738?t=Nd9FUf2XHmiNcE71L6PzTA&s=19

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Russian air force being active is interesting. I remember seeing someone else reporting the same too, a few days ago.

Does Ukraine not have enough suitable anti-air? Have the Russians managed to hit their anti-air platforms with drones or something enough times that Ukraine has to be a bit wary with them? Or is Russia just taking more risks, hoping to get the attack done? Or is Ukraine saving their BUKs and Stingers and stuff for later?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Don't they just use rockets from aircraft as arty basically. Point nose in the air a few miles back and fire and gently caress off?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tai posted:

Don't they just use rockets from aircraft as arty basically. Point nose in the air a few miles back and fire and gently caress off?

Yes. Air defense on the ukrianian side is too rich to risk it. They get too close? Dead.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I can't wait to see what the reasoning behind Bakhmut was on the Ukrainian side once this is all over. Even for a force depletion attritional defensive battle, the time to go seems to be right now.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

I can't wait to see what the reasoning behind Bakhmut was on the Ukrainian side once this is all over. Even for a force depletion attritional defensive battle, the time to go seems to be right now.

Lots of rumours that there are 10 brigades of Ukrainians not far away sooo who knows. The rumours could be just that, rumours.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tai posted:

Lots of rumours that there are 10 brigades of Ukrainians not far away sooo who knows. The rumours could be just that, rumours.

Ukraine has stated before that they would gladly clear that problem up for Moldova if the government requested it. I imagine both states would rather not have a Russian-backed and funded unrest generator on their border

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

HonorableTB posted:

It's apparently a really good defensive spot that Russia's been eager to keep throwing men into the woodchipper at.

Its not like they could just pick up and counterattack right now, Russia still has an assload of men there

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jaete posted:

Russian air force being active is interesting. I remember seeing someone else reporting the same too, a few days ago.

Does Ukraine not have enough suitable anti-air? Have the Russians managed to hit their anti-air platforms with drones or something enough times that Ukraine has to be a bit wary with them? Or is Russia just taking more risks, hoping to get the attack done? Or is Ukraine saving their BUKs and Stingers and stuff for later?
They've been active this whole time but I've been hearing that they're a bit more aggressive now trying to find a way to do CAS, and stuff like stingers not being useful at night. But it's hard to say what's really going on.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

Ukraine has stated before that they would gladly clear that problem up for Moldova if the government requested it. I imagine both states would rather not have a Russian-backed and funded unrest generator on their border

These 10 Brigades are near Bakhmut, not Moldova.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

By forcing an annihilation battle in bakhmut the ukrainians have the ability to predict where and when the ammo will land at certain depots. Even though Russia moves them around they have to keep them at a certain closeness to the front to ensure ready supply especially in the case of counter attacks.

So having that ability allows them to drain out more than just manpower in bakhmut. Remember the news we heard about Wagner complaining about ammo and the Russians also complaining about ammo being thinly veiled as 'anger towards Wagner'? Yeah that was a partial sign of what's happening. SO MUCH has been dedicated to bakhmut because the Russians see it as valuable. That value has to be agreed upon to allow for the deceit. The US has been claiming the town was nothing more than symbolic and pointless. But maybe that's the point of it all. Russia is blowing through tremendous levels of ammo to keep it going and that ammo may start to become short.

In the event of counter-attacks in the South Southeast and North we may see serious ammo conditions like we see in bakhmut where soldiers are only running around with one or two magazines worth of ammunition. And no helmets no body armor versus the Ukrainian mechanized forces. That isn't a fight they are going to want to engage in.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Tai posted:

These 10 Brigades are near Bakhmut, not Moldova.

Well all those troops training in the west need to get back to Ukraine somehow. In the grand scheme of things that's not much of a detour.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Isw Update
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1635084205653917696?t=bnRfJIpIkgJTVD9TfSAWyg&s=19

The linked article is good, if a little repetitive at points. Here's a bit:

quote:

Putin will likely use Wagner’s high casualties, reports about poor morale, and war crimes to deflect from likely equal or possibly worse problems within the Russian Armed Forces. Kremlin-affiliated milbloggers have ambushed Prigozhin with interviews that exposed numerous Wagner controversies regarding the ineffectiveness and mistreatment of the Wagner convict force – likely in an effort to set conditions in the Russian information space to discredit Wagner.[42] Much of the Russian and Western coverage of Bakhmut already focuses mainly on heavy Wagner losses, allowing the MoD to cover up or downplay other losses suffered by Russian conventional forces. The revelation of high losses among Wagner convicts and mercenaries would not cause as much societal outrage as ongoing reports of casualties and mistreatment of involuntarily mobilized servicemen.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

HonorableTB posted:

It's a battle of attrition that despite Russian advances Ukraine continues to control as a bloodletting campaign.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I would not be at all surprised to read in the future histories that Ukraine decided to go all in on defending Bakhmut merely to frustrate the enemy. You want it? No, gently caress you.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I want to make a Seriouspost for a second and bring this website to your attention. CONTENT WARNING: STORIES OF SEXUAL VIOLENCE AT THE HANDS OF OCCUPIERS TOLD THROUGH TAPESTRY AND EMBROIDERY

This website is called Embroidered With Pain, and it is the tapestry and embroidered stories of Ukrainian women who suffered sexual violence at the hands of the occupiers, made by the victims themselves. I highly, highly recommend you click through and read about the human cost of this war and the occupation. There are explanations of what the symbols mean on the embroideries as well. Incredibly heartbreaking and monumentally important.

https://vyshyti-bolem.in.ua/en/#home

The Search: The story of a family that did not have time to leave posted:

It was an ordinary family: a Husband, Wife, and Daughter. Their life was also ordinary: in the mornings, the Husband and Wife would take their Daughter to daycare and go to their respective jobs. In the evenings, they would stroll along the waterfront, go to the theater or museum on weekends, and have guests over once a month. They loved their simple life and their cozy southern town where, it seemed, nothing could ever happen. Especially not a war.

The Husband wanted to leave, and the Wife wanted to stay: "Let's stay for a day or two, see what happens, maybe everything will end." But in a few days, russian military personnel appeared on the streets, and the exit was closed. They were looking for empty apartments, moving in, and taking away appliances and furniture. And then people started to disappear. Someone went to the store - and didn't come back, someone was called in by the occupying administration three days ago and still hasn't returned. One day, the Husband didn't come home for dinner after work.

The Wife searched for three days. She went to friends and colleagues and asked around. Until she met an acquaintance who said she had seen him being taken to the administration building. The Wife went there. "What's his name? When did he disappear? Okay, let's go," smiled the officer at the reception. And she followed him. Through the hallway, then down the stairs - to the basement. "Oh my God, how could I have come here!" she remembers the thought spinning in her head, as she saw the worn-out sofa in the room, a chair, and nothing else. "What was I thinking? Who will take care of my child?" The Wife clung to that thought in her anger at herself, focusing on it so as not to feel anything else.

When it was all over, he opened the door and offered her his arm to take her down the stairs to the entrance. "So, will you come back for your Husband?" he asked. She stumbled out onto the street and then ran. When her legs finally gave out from exhaustion, she stopped, sat down to rest, and realized that she didn't recognize the city. She sat there, breathing, recalling, and then she walked. As she walked, she felt relieved that her clothes were intact - no one would suspect anything.

Now, in a safe place, her memories were becoming blurry, like a dream, with details fading with every passing hour. She remembered when her Husband returned after a few days and told her about the interrogations and torture. She told him what had happened to her. All that remained for her were shame and fear. Fear that her Husband wouldn't forgive her, that her Daughter would find out - and how would she look at her mother?

But the Wife doesn't let fear and shame paralyze her - she has a reason and someone to live for. That's why she talks to her Husband, her psychologist, and her closest friend, who also experienced the occupation. Talking makes it easier, although it's hard for them to open up.

And she started to paint. The desire to pick up a brush came suddenly, on one of the darkest days when it seemed like there was no future. "What's your brightest memory?" the psychologist asked. And suddenly, she remembered how she used to sit at the table near the window and draw as a child, and her mother would look over her shoulder and praise her for how well it turned out. Now, in her paintings, there is their simple family life with walks along the embankment and no war or pain that she carries within herself.

This story is based on the experiences of real people who have suffered sexual violence at the hands of russian and are now on the path to recovery. Their stories were heard and retold by psychologist Tetiana. The heroes themselves are not yet able to speak out. They need time and help. We hope that one day they will feel strong enough to testify to the war crimes committed by the occupiers on our land against our people.

Please click the heart at the bottom of each story to indicate you've read it. The victims who created these will see it.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

HonorableTB posted:

Russia keeps sending meat into that meat grinder and making a big deal out of it... all Ukraine has to do is keep the minimum viable platoon there to keep the meat grinder going as long as possible while they're getting a shitload of gear from allies and prepare for a spring offensive everywhere else. Meanwhile, again, Russia keeps throwing meat at that meat grinder and making a big deal out of it, mostly oblivious because they're loving orcs.

It's like the easiest boss character to beat.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Bronze Fonz posted:

Russia keeps sending meat into that meat grinder and making a big deal out of it... all Ukraine has to do is keep the minimum viable platoon there to keep the meat grinder going as long as possible while they're getting a shitload of gear from allies and prepare for a spring offensive everywhere else. Meanwhile, again, Russia keeps throwing meat at that meat grinder and making a big deal out of it, mostly oblivious because they're loving orcs.

It's like the easiest boss character to beat.

Just a heads up, we don't call the Russians that term here as it's a slur. The rest of your post seems pretty spot on and in agreement with the common consensus about Bakhmut

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

HonorableTB posted:

Just a heads up, we don't call the Russians that term here as it's a slur.

And don't try and slip in a 'snotlings' or 'grots' either. Its all banned.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Pants making GBS threads and guzzling horse cum are OK but dehumanizing Russians? Nyet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Pants making GBS threads and guzzling horse cum are OK but dehumanizing Russians? Nyet.

Yes. As it should be.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

It's a battle of attrition that despite Russian advances Ukraine continues to control as a bloodletting campaign.

Last week, NATO estimated Russia was losing at least five soldiers for every Ukrainian. https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-03-06-23/h_265c92682c57b8228fbbf082fb3b6888

Ukraine is taking heavy losses defending the town. Russia is destroying itself.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Yes. As it should be.

Cheers!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

The pants making GBS threads and horse cum guzzling is in regards to one specific man, not the entire Russian people.

Because Putin takes care of the entire country's pants making GBS threads and horse cum guzzling quotas. I'm not sure why there's quotas for those, the seem to have been put in place when he took charge. I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1635000046004633600
"Swiss weapons should not be used in wars"
So weapons aren't supposed to be used for their purpose? I hope this is the end of your arms industry.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1635000046004633600
"Swiss weapons should not be used in wars"
So weapons aren't supposed to be used for their purpose? I hope this is the end of your arms industry.

Not many people know this, but at the bottom of every Swiss weapon the words "For Display Only" are engraved.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Recognize and any all Russian claims on Swiss territory imho.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Ikasuhito posted:

Not many people know this, but at the bottom of every Swiss weapon the words "For Display Only" are engraved.

https://imgur.com/OV0WK27

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

shadow puppet of a posted:

And don't try and slip in a 'snotlings' or 'grots' either. Its all banned.

Chaos spawn okay?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

de_dust posted:

Chaos spawn okay?

only if they have tiny italian boobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

Recognize and any all Russian claims on Swiss territory imho.

:wtc: