Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

blastron posted:

That's not what I said at all. Teleport is very powerful, but it's not unbalanced, because it's a campaign-level party utility thing. It doesn't really matter that one specific player has it, because in practice it's something that the entire party decides to use and benefit from. It's marked as Uncommon not because it's too powerful, but because it's a game-changer.

Balance is about individual power, whether that's in combat, when exploring, in social encounters, and so on. D&D 3.5's Knock spell is unbalanced, because it can open any door, at medium range, silently, with no check required. It is flat-out better than any other option for opening things, including the entire class built around the fantasy of being a sneaky thief who can pick locks. Buy a wand of it and you've replaced your rogue entirely. Pathfinder 2e's Knock is much more balanced, because it just provides bonuses for a Thievery check, meaning that difficult locks will still require someone good at Thievery to open.

(Note that 3.5e's Teleport absolutely is a personal power thing, and absolutely unbalanced. It is (mostly) pinpoint accurate, instant cast, and extremely versatile in its usage. A wizard with Teleport is not just the best way to get around the world, but also the best way to ambush an enemy, the best way to flee from combat, the best way to break into a vault, and so on.)

"how strong is the party as a whole" is also a question of game balance, just a different one than inter-party balance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm playing Kingmaker, and I was hoping for folks' thoughts on something. Is the whole module the party being colonizers?

We stumbled across somekobolds in a radish patch, with a quest to get some radishes, our diplomacy failed and the koblolds attacked. All over some radishes that we were willing to trade for.

Is the whole module like this? Invading and murdering indigenous peoples in "untamed wilderness"?

It is an AP about building a kingdom in a largely untamed area that for some reason can't be tamed so there will be themes of colonialism. You should talk to your GM and group if you're uncomfortable with how you guys are going about it. Maybe the GM think's you all want more combat and doesn't realize that it is upsetting to you to kill these kobolds. The best part of the game is combat for a lot of people (myself for instance) so the GM just might default to it.

I definitely see your point, why not just become allies to the kobolds? Offer them protection and let them self-govern. Remember the kingdom is yours, run it as egalitarian state. It doesn't have to emulate a Monarchy or Feudalism.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 11, 2023

Pryce
May 21, 2011
If you’ve played the CRPG they let you just trade with the kobolds if you want to. It feels like that’s probably a clear option in the AP that wasn’t utilized? I haven’t read it yet.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Andrast posted:

"how strong is the party as a whole" is also a question of game balance, just a different one than inter-party balance

Honestly, the problem is that we're all using slightly different definitions of powerful. Like, if someone said "Detect Evil is the most powerful first level spell you could prepare, one time I cast it and solved an entire mystery in the first encounter" it would be weird, because Detect Evil's power is entirely focused on the narrative disruption axis and does nothing for winning fights or making numbers bigger that we're usually focused on during character optimization. But Detect Alignment's still Uncommon in Pathfinder 2e, because whether an option is restricted by rarity is almost always based on its narrative disruption. And precise high-level teleport effects let you allocate your resources in a way that completely breaks the game if you go for 3.5-style scry and die tactics, but it's not uncommon because of that. It's uncommon because it easily disrupts whatever adventure the GM is trying to run.

(And yes, what rarity means in ancestry/class selection is different from what rarity means in spell selection, it's kind of dumb but it works well enough when you internalize it.)

(Also, to Admiral Joeslop's post, Dimension Door is right there for short-range teleports and is just common. So there's still options for teleporting in fights that isn't also the big ritual that at minimum bypasses an entire travel sequence.)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Pryce posted:

If you’ve played the CRPG they let you just trade with the kobolds if you want to. It feels like that’s probably a clear option in the AP that wasn’t utilized? I haven’t read it yet.

I think the GM may need to be reminded that the default NPC attitude is Indifferent and only a crit fail on Diplomacy lowers the target attitude. Not every AP runs like Vaults.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

Pryce posted:

Trading with them is an option only in the CRPG. In the adventure path the Kobolds are very much not willing to trade radishes with the players. They see the radishes as theirs and really don't want anybody else to have them.
The adventure specifically noting that they are willing to fight to the death to keep them.

gurragadon posted:

I definitely see your point, why not just become allies to the kobolds? Offer them protection and let them self-govern. Remember the kingdom is yours, run it as egalitarian state. It doesn't have to emulate a Monarchy or Feudalism.

This is an option that actually comes up a lot in the Adventure Path there are a lot of groups you can make alliances/friendships with including a kobold tribe later in the adventure path.
provided that you can persuade them to do so.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

psudonym55 posted:

Trading with them is an option only in the CRPG. In the adventure path the Kobolds are very much not willing to trade radishes with the players. They see the radishes as theirs and really don't want anybody else to have them.
The adventure specifically noting that they are willing to fight to the death to keep them.

This is an option that actually comes up a lot in the Adventure Path there are a lot of groups you can make alliances/friendships with including a kobold tribe later in the adventure path.
provided that you can persuade them to do so.

It's kind of surprising that they didn't put a social component in for that group. I thought that the 2e Kingmaker took some inspiration from the CRPG.

Plus, 2e has that social system where you can use initiative. We used it for the first part of Kingmaker where you meet a bunch of people at the feast, and it went well. Our group is half/half people who like roleplaying and people who are more into the combat, but the structured social encounter let everyone get involved in a way their character would.

I'm usually really bad at RP'ing but I got to use my characters backstory as a trained artist to get Lindsey and Valerie to like us. The better RP players in the group could set up a situation in the early initiative order for a round of talking and I could play off of them.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
They did take some inspiration from the crpg for a lot of things but not for that encounter. It's word for word almost exactly the same as the 1e version except for an added set of " " around one of the words.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Thats kind of lame. Our group hasn't gotten there yet, but that's actually about as far as I got into the CRPG before our group decided to start it. Whatever were gonna make them our friends so my Wizard/Alchemist Archetype can make that Moon Radish soup.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of taking inspiration from the CRPG, (Kingmaker CRPG spoilers) is the Major Boon for Groteus in 2e based on Harrim's blessing from Groteus, or was that Boon described in an adventure path somewhere in 1e that I didn't read?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Speaking of taking inspiration from the CRPG, (Kingmaker CRPG spoilers) is the Major Boon for Groteus in 2e based on Harrim's blessing from Groteus, or was that Boon described in an adventure path somewhere in 1e that I didn't read?

No, the 1e Boons are much more focused on insanity and fear effects, not decay.

1e stats

2e stats

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm playing Kingmaker, and I was hoping for folks' thoughts on something. Is the whole module the party being colonizers?

We stumbled across somekobolds in a radish patch, with a quest to get some radishes, our diplomacy failed and the koblolds attacked. All over some radishes that we were willing to trade for.

Is the whole module like this? Invading and murdering indigenous peoples in "untamed wilderness"?

I played the crpg version based on the adventure path, but it is probably similar? If anything you should have more ability to bend the story in the p&p version since you aren't restricted to pre-programed choices.

They aren't exactly indigenous, they are recent settlers just like you. Most of them have been in the area less than a hundred years because there's a mysterious reason no civilization big or small endures there despite it being fertile land. You are like british colonizers dealing with spanish colonizers and french colonizers, not an indigenous civilization.

You can make a peaceful alliance with most of them. You are building a kingdom, but not necessarily a human kingdom. You can make it your goal to make the XP fodder settlements safer through alliance, where they agree not to engage in banditry and you formalize their position as legal inhabitants of the kingdom with full protection of the law. They become stronger and more prosperous through the alliance, with their ownership of the land they inhabit enshrined in law. Some might even choose to become inhabitants of your capital city.

If you want to go for a diplomatic victory you're going to need a fantastic diplomat.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

We just finished playing our first session of the beginner box on foundry VTT. Almost every time the GM did something with a monster (roll a save or take damage, but not roll attacks or deal damage), the UI elements (but not the battle map or any panels open) shifted up offscreen. Sometimes a little bit, sometimes only the bottom bits are sticking out. No notable way to drag them back down. F5 fixed it with a short reload but it happened for all of us quite a bit, in several browsers. The GM is going to update everything before our next session and see if he can figure it out.

It went pretty well. We had 5 players turn up so we had the 4 recommended iconics and the fifth player brought over her D&D barbarian from the campaign they'd just finished, reset to level 1 with pf2e equivalents. We did up to a locked storeroom then called it a night. The first tutorial fight tore up our front liners before we cleared them out, then we took a bit of downtime, then went on to clean house on the rest we did. So the GM is going to up the difficulty for the rest of the run. One encounter died instantly to a crit from the fighter. The GM also rolled about 6 critical fails over the course of the night so that was a bit frustrating for him too. Everyone scattered when we called it since it was so late so I'll be interested to see what everyone else thought tomorrow.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

bagrada posted:

We just finished playing our first session of the beginner box on foundry VTT. Almost every time the GM did something with a monster (roll a save or take damage, but not roll attacks or deal damage), the UI elements (but not the battle map or any panels open) shifted up offscreen. Sometimes a little bit, sometimes only the bottom bits are sticking out. No notable way to drag them back down. F5 fixed it with a short reload but it happened for all of us quite a bit, in several browsers. The GM is going to update everything before our next session and see if he can figure it out.

That's really weird. If it happened on multiple browsers, I guess he installed a few modules too many.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

bagrada posted:

It went pretty well. We had 5 players turn up so we had the 4 recommended iconics and the fifth player brought over her D&D barbarian from the campaign they'd just finished, reset to level 1 with pf2e equivalents. We did up to a locked storeroom then called it a night. The first tutorial fight tore up our front liners before we cleared them out, then we took a bit of downtime, then went on to clean house on the rest we did. So the GM is going to up the difficulty for the rest of the run. One encounter died instantly to a crit from the fighter. The GM also rolled about 6 critical fails over the course of the night so that was a bit frustrating for him too. Everyone scattered when we called it since it was so late so I'll be interested to see what everyone else thought tomorrow.

How did you find the Foundry setup? I'm considering shifting a campaign from roll20 to Foundry but what's put me off so far is the thought of hosting. It's been enough work trying to get newbies to understand Pathfinder. Trying to get them to understand port forwarding might be a bridge to far.

EDIT: this might be more of a question for your GM than for you.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I spent a recent weekend setting up a foundry server on a raspberry pi. It was mostly fine, though I did need some help from the discord to get the DNS config sorted.

Networking isn’t really my area so maybe I’m misunderstanding your concern, but if you’re the one doing the hosting, you should be the only one doing port forwarding.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lamuella posted:

How did you find the Foundry setup? I'm considering shifting a campaign from roll20 to Foundry but what's put me off so far is the thought of hosting. It's been enough work trying to get newbies to understand Pathfinder. Trying to get them to understand port forwarding might be a bridge to far.

I'm not in IT and I don't know much about servers and stuff, but I found this guide on hosting FVTT for free on Oracle Cloud intimidating, but ultimately fairly easy to follow:

https://foundryvtt.wiki/en/setup/hosting/always-free-oracle

Now I've got a really fast, stable and always-online FVTT server for free. It's great.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I have absolutely no need to have my games always online so I just boot foundry up when we play and have everyone connect to my local client. No need to mess with servers.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

As a player Foundry is pretty awesome. We use the foundry VTT for my tables in person sessions. Our GM has it set up to display on a touchscreen setup, so we can click and move our characters around the board. We used it online as a replacement for Roll20 when the pandemic hit and once the GM got it set up and figured it out a bit, he said that it was a lot better than Roll20.

The automation is Foundry is really helpful for Pathfinder 2e because there are a bunch of things that can add pluses and minuses to rolls. It's great as a player too, my GM has a module set up that tells you how far you've gone so you don't have to count squares. It even changes color of the bar for each action of movement, so the first 30 ft. is red, then the next blue, then the next green and so forth.

It does seem kind of "buggy" though because of the different modules and stuff you can add. We had some issues with lighting and it only displaying one light source at a time that had to get worked out. It's bad at dealing with people going around corners in one move also. Basically, to go around a corner you have to do two different movements or there's collision issues with walls.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lamuella posted:

Your players will not have to port forward.

Port Forwarding is something only the host machine will have to do.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I just use a lovely old laptop that's port forwarded and turn it off when I'm not using it.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Yeah the GM sent us a link and we were in test fighting goblins in minutes. No trouble aside from that glitch and things being a bit cluttered for those of us without second monitors. It's so well done it has a few of us thinking of running out own games sometime.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
If you're self-hosting Foundry, Ngrok makes it ten times easier. No need to open your personal ports or worry about what your ISP blocks.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Any suggestions for a free archetype selection for a dwarf dweeb thaumaturge using a lantern who's ranged focused? Friend is doing AV and that's what I have so far.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

Any suggestions for a free archetype selection for a dwarf dweeb thaumaturge using a lantern who's ranged focused? Friend is doing AV and that's what I have so far.

Can't go wrong with Sorcerer for more options. Early on you'd want to grab the bloodline focus spells, so pick a good bloodline. After a few levels you start picking up the full-on spellcasting for the extra utility.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Anything Charisma focused (Sorcerer, Champion, Summoner, Bard, etc) would obviously work, but if you're going ranged then Sniping Duo is fantastic

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kitfox88 posted:

Unconventional option would be Gunslinger. I’m assuming I that your ranged weapon is either a crossbow or a pistol - in either case, reloading is going to be a significant action tax that makes an already action taxed class like the thaumaturge difficult to play at times. That means you really want to look got ways to mitigate that - Gunslinger offers you access to Risky and Running Reload, which can help a lot, and at higher levels, access to a Way based reload to do even more.

Beyond that, you can grab something like the Munitions Crafter feat to hand out elemental ammo or bombs to your friends, and then advise said friends when you’re up against something that is weak to the bombs or ammo you’ve handed out. (Or just make a bunch of Bane bolts/bullets for yourself, which will just add more damage.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Thaumaturge itself has a first level feat for reloading specifically right? Could pair well with Gunslinger archetype.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

mind the walrus posted:

Thaumaturge itself has a first level feat for reloading specifically right? Could pair well with Gunslinger archetype.

The thaumaturge reload feat removes the free hand requirement so long as your other hand is holding only an implement or esoterica. It basically is “this class that always wants to be holding things in both of it’s hands plays nice with crossbows/guns” without doing anything to resolve the fundamental action economy. You need gunslinger or one of the other archetypes that provides reload economy feats to do that.

(The ‘better’ way to play a ranged thaumaturge is probably to use a thrown weapon with a returning rune. But crossbows and guns ‘work’ thanks to the first level feat tax.)

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Chevy Slyme posted:

(The ‘better’ way to play a ranged thaumaturge is probably to use a thrown weapon with a returning rune. But crossbows and guns ‘work’ thanks to the first level feat tax.)

I've toyed with the idea of MCU Thor as a Thaumaturge. Either Scroll Esoterica or else go for Sorcerer Archetype and the Elemental bloodline.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Sniping Duo is really neat, yeah, and I might swap to guns down the line because we have a gunslinger who is a proud believer in the right of all sentient beings to bear arms, which made me think getting their help to have my lass craft her own pistol would be cool. Part of me wants to get a repeating hand crossbow and roll with that though because crossbows are cool :pcgaming: I don't really wanna embrace any caster classes cause I don't see that too much for her as a character, sadly. If I was rolling mirror/regalia I'd totally go Marshal but neither of those fit her either since she's a dweeby library dwarf. Part of me wishes I could make the class stuff key off INT instead but so it goes.

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 13, 2023

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kitfox88 posted:

Sniping Duo is really neat, yeah, and I might swap to guns down the line because we have a gunslinger who is a proud believer in the right of all sentient beings to bear arms, which made me think getting their help to have my lass craft her own pistol would be cool. Part of me wants to get a repeating hand crossbow and roll with that though because crossbows are cool :pcgaming: I don't really wanna embrace any caster classes cause I don't see that too much for her as a character, sadly. If I was rolling mirror/regalia I'd totally go Marshal but neither of those fit her either since she's a dweeby library dwarf. Part of me wishes I could make the class stuff key off INT instead but so it goes.

So the cool thing about gunslinger dedication is you never need to touch a gun - there’s enough key feats to use it with crossbows for it yo be the best choice to shore up a crossbow user as well as a gun user.

And then, if you do decide to swap to a firearm later, that’s an option.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Oh spiff, I'll give it a solid lookover too

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Drow Shootist makes hand crossbows really good if that interests you.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

So everyone who's used it already knows this but I just experienced the plugin for Foundry that will turn most PDFs you own on Paizo into modules, and I'm having a Limmy "Is it really this easy to get the things you want in life?" moment

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Lamuella posted:

So everyone who's used it already knows this but I just experienced the plugin for Foundry that will turn most PDFs you own on Paizo into modules, and I'm having a Limmy "Is it really this easy to get the things you want in life?" moment

I’ve got my server set up and running recently and I’m very interested in this plugin while I learn the system.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

koreban posted:

I’ve got my server set up and running recently and I’m very interested in this plugin while I learn the system.

There are two:

https://foundryvtt.com/packages/pf2-pdf-en-import

https://foundryvtt.com/packages/pdftofoundry

Deidril's covers more recent stuff, neither cover anything with an actual module for foundry you can buy.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Thanks! I’ll play with them. I’ve got dozens of modules from different sales and humble bundles to try it out with.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Lamuella posted:

Now try the premium paizo modules, they're even more amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
All I want is for them to drop the kingmaker module already!!