Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

davidspackage posted:

Okay, this part where they speculate an incorporeal murder cloud into existence to bail out Scotty is completely goddamn insane.

i love that episode. it makes no sense, it's obviously misogynistic as all hell, scotty is sensibly fingered as being a serial murderer, but... it's very fun

i mean, there's really nothing to indicate that scotty didn't kill a bunch of women. they can just conveniently blame it on loving jack the ripper lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
That's the one where the solution is to get the entire crew high as poo poo and the episode ends with everybody high and Kirk trying to get Spock to go to a strip club with him right?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Tighclops posted:

That's the one where the solution is to get the entire crew high as poo poo and the episode ends with everybody high and Kirk trying to get Spock to go to a strip club with him right?

yes, and then kirk realizes that spock would not be fun at a strip club, so he basically puts the crew in a time-out because he wanted to go with bones and scotty

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

TOS season 3 gets a lot of poo poo for its weirdness for good reason, but there's a fair amount of really weird poo poo in mid to late season 2 as well.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

This. If you're going to continue watching, the B5 blind watch thread will be overjoyed to have your impressions of it, whether that means detailed reviews of each episode or just vague thoughts now and then.

Starting about a year and a half ago, I did my own blind watch reviews and I'm very glad I did. Yes, on paper, the show seems like dollar-store DS9 but I assure you, it immediately goes its own way and it soon gets really really good.

e: The settings also have a slight difference of scale.

I was about to post that B5 and DS9 probably have a similar amount of habitable space because one is a big empty tube and the other has magic gravity, but then I read that B5 can hold over 250k people and holy poo poo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

I was about to post that B5 and DS9 probably have a similar amount of habitable space because one is a big empty tube and the other has magic gravity, but then I read that B5 can hold over 250k people and holy poo poo.

yeah remember b5 has an internal tram system and corridors so big you can ride a fuckin turbocharged motorcycle through them

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arivia posted:

yeah remember b5 has an internal tram system and corridors so big you can ride a fuckin turbocharged motorcycle through them

And there's even more than one bar.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

And there's even more than one bar.

but they serve zima so they hardly count

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
"Zo I zayz to the guy, I zayz: 'Nice ztation.'"

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Arivia posted:

To be fair, the show is really bad at showing scale. We only get a handful of shots that show its a full fledged O'Neil Cylinder.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I just started watching B5 for the first time earlier this week, after a lifetime of going "ehhhhhhhh maybe another time, it looks pretty hokey", and i'm about halfway through season 1 and really surprised how much I'm enjoying it. Like, yeah it looks cheap as poo poo, and the CGI looks like reboot levels, but it works as a plucky little show punching above its budget, the makeup and alien designs are great, and honestly the amiga looking CGI lets the show be a lot more dynamic and plentiful with its space sequences that Star Trek was able to at the same period.

Also surprised at all the parallels with DS9, lol.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Tom Guycot posted:

I just started watching B5 for the first time earlier this week, after a lifetime of going "ehhhhhhhh maybe another time, it looks pretty hokey", and i'm about halfway through season 1 and really surprised how much I'm enjoying it. Like, yeah it looks cheap as poo poo, and the CGI looks like reboot levels, but it works as a plucky little show punching above its budget, the makeup and alien designs are great, and honestly the amiga looking CGI lets the show be a lot more dynamic and plentiful with its space sequences that Star Trek was able to at the same period.

It sneaks up on you. I don't remember when I first watched B5 (early 2000s maybe?), but I was already super biased against it and absolutely sure I was going to hate it. I basically had the first few episodes on as background noise and I was pretty sure I was going to give up on it, and then somehow I was fully invested by the end of season one.

And honestly season one is noticeably much worse in just about every way compared to the later seasons.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

B5 has so many great scenes. Most of them center around Londo and G'Kar which is one of the more complex relationships in TV history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3_9Xb3U1V4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oHtLmjKRbE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwF5BBL26I

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I do this to people when they tell me covid is over

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bull3964 posted:

B5 has so many great scenes. Most of them center around Londo and G'Kar which is one of the more complex relationships in TV history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oHtLmjKRbE

this is the scene that convinced me to watch b5. I didn't understand any of it, i didn't really know what was going on, but when that giant evil red-eyed reptilian creature turned around with a knife, the audience viewpoint funny man cowered in the corner worried about being stabbed, and the reptile guy cut his own palm and gave a speech i could tell something special was happening and it was worth looking into. boy fuckin howdy was i not disappointed.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I also guess somewhere in my head, since I was a child, just kid of thought it was very 'Star Treky' in nature, I was not expecting its universe to be such a dystopia.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Tom Guycot posted:

Also surprised at all the parallels with DS9, lol.

its strength is that it's written and shot and acted in a way that's much more similar to stage plays than TV shows, all the actors are emoting and delivering lines and committing to their characters in a way that practically makes the cheap sets and old special effects melt away

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Chairman posted:

its strength is that it's written and shot and acted in a way that's much more similar to stage plays than TV shows, all the actors are emoting and delivering lines and committing to their characters in a way that practically makes the cheap sets and old special effects melt away

It's similar to TOS in that respect.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
He got his ears caught in a mechanical rice picker.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Get the guy who played Garibaldi to play a Ferengi.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Prurient Squid posted:

Uh, Jerry Doyle suffered a slight case of death due to complications from his alcoholism some years ago.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Prurient Squid posted:

He was a Libertarian radio talk show host when he died in 2016

So, basically he already did

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
So the guy's dead huh? And a libertarian you say? Well that's that plan out the window.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I still think Babylon 5's visual effects mostly kick rear end and I will be dragged away by the police defending that point

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The art design behind most of Babylon 5 holds up. The different factions are characterized through their ships better than Trek imo. Weighed against that you have the fact that it all is expressed through the medium of cg action in the vein of slightly uglier Starcraft 1 cutscene

The good news is, Starcraft 1 cutscenes owned and so does Bab 5

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve only watched the pilot episode of B5 but the sets and production design really reminded me of any time an episode of the 90s Outer Limits would take place on a ship or space colony.

Not a bad thing necessarily but I could see someone having trouble getting past it if they weren’t already familiar with that era of non-Trek sci-fi.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I didn't really think the special effects were that bad when I was rewatching B5 like a year ago. Its definitely dated but some of it really holds up especially the Shadow's ships.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The low poly count and lower resolution textures is more than made up for in the freedom they were given to portray space battles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gxZDm8PLyg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD7JMDgeF-I

Always loved the use of Newtonian motion in the battles that would have been extremely hard to pull off at the time with motion control miniatures.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

The art design behind most of Babylon 5 holds up. The different factions are characterized through their ships better than Trek imo. Weighed against that you have the fact that it all is expressed through the medium of cg action in the vein of slightly uglier Starcraft 1 cutscene

The good news is, Starcraft 1 cutscenes owned and so does Bab 5

The only time B5's effects were really dodgy was in the first season; Foundation Imaging drastically improved their work in the second season, based upon their experience with quite literally brand-new technology in the first year--no one else was insane enough to use a bunch of Video Toasters for all their VFX work. By the third, I never really minded it (outside of the composite scenes that blend VFX and 35mm film; those are always going to look like boiled meat because of how they were finished).

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Timby posted:

Uh, Jerry Doyle suffered a slight case of death due to complications from his alcoholism some years ago.

Its actually a bit crazy how most of the Babylon 5 cast are already dead, all those people just above 60 yo. when they kicked it, many with substance abuse problems.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Der Kyhe posted:

Its actually a bit crazy how most of the Babylon 5 cast are already dead, all those people just above 60 yo. when they kicked it, many with substance abuse problems.

it makes a lot more sense when you realize that JMS was a huge sucker for hard-luck cases

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Der Kyhe posted:

Jerry Doyle died because he was a drunk; Andreas Katsulas died because he loved smoking too much. I guess Jeff Conaway loved him his pills and heroin too much. But I don't think anyone else had substance issues.

But, really, that's just emblematic of the quality of actor they could afford to cast in starring roles. Most everyone was persona non grata, because their careers had flatlined, or they never really had careers in the first place.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've never seen the show, but I'm a huge TRON fangirl, so now that I know Bruce Boxleitner is in it I'm gonna' have to give it a go soon.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Finished part 2 of The Search. For a moment there, it looked like they were going to shake up the status quo a little too much by closing the wormhole but then they cancelled that with Sisko and Bashir arriving at DS9 being a simulation, which I assumed it was.

Another observation from this episode: DS9 is setting itself up to be far more lore-integrated than TNG, but that's bound to happen on a show focused on a specific location.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kesper North posted:

it makes a lot more sense when you realize that JMS was a huge sucker for hard-luck cases

also actors with problems were cheaper to hire

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Tighclops posted:

I still think Babylon 5's visual effects mostly kick rear end and I will be dragged away by the police defending that point

Yeah same/agreed

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

B5 is carried entirely by the charismatic cast. The people playing Delenn, Londo, G'Kar and Vir were amazing and some of the best acting in any 90s show, but even the "lesser" talents like Sheridan and Garibaldi work because the actors are similar enough to their characters that they still turn out some good performances.

I struggle to think of anyone of the regular cast that didn't turn in at least a decent performance, and most of them knocked it out of the park regularly

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed Babylon 5 when I finally watched it a few years ago. When I was watching it I was kind of dreading that it was going to be a childish good vs evil conflict and I was happy that it wasn't. I thought some of it dragged a bit, but that was mostly season one, iirc.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DoubleCakes posted:

Finished part 2 of The Search. For a moment there, it looked like they were going to shake up the status quo a little too much by closing the wormhole but then they cancelled that with Sisko and Bashir arriving at DS9 being a simulation, which I assumed it was.

(The episode aired almost 30 years ago and this isn't a no-spoilers thread, so I'm not spoilertagging anything.)

Even if you didn't consciously notice it, I bet the episode had somehow started to feel a bit claustrophobic in the leadup to "collapsing the wormhole". Because from the moment that we started watching the simulation, there were no camera angles from outside the ship or station, since there was no "outside" that the camera could get a view of. When the normal outside establishing shots (usually just stock footage) don't happen for long enough, it can be a BIG clue that what we're seeing isn't quite real -- it's just a holodeck, or a dream, or an elaborate reconstruction of the entire interior of the Enterprise which was built for no adequately explained reason, or whatever. The same thing happens in TNG: Future Imperfect.

The fact that Lower Decks regularly defies this well-established convention is the one and only thing for which I am angry at Mike McMahan. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

https://starfleetjag.blogspot.com/2023/03/tuvix-is-janeway-murderer.html

This turned up on my Twitter feed; I’m reposting it because I agree with the conclusion. Janeway must be the only Starfleet hero to have ever killed someone just to avoid having to rethink the staff rota.