Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Does the magic lending window only apply to like, securities a bank already owned as of market close Friday?

Because if not isn't there just crazy arbitrage money to be made by a bank hoovering up all the old 20 and 30 year treasuries for like 40% off face value, getting a loan against them, using the first 60% of the loan to... buy more... and stashing the other 40% in short term treasuries yielding 5%. Risk free baby!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Oglethorpe posted:

i loving love the 20s

2020s

1920s

whatever

1620s

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

if the fdic is now insuring all deposits what’s even the point of holding reserves. in fact just let the banks print dollars directly

they did that before the civil war

you can find some really cool bank notes on eBay if you have a local bank in your town that’s 200 years old

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

they did that before the civil war

you can find some really cool bank notes on eBay if you have a local bank in your town that’s 200 years old

laughs in panic of 1837ishly

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lmao when the fed balance sheet starts going up again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So they're already bailing them out? Coul;dn't even last a weekend? Sounds good.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

net work error posted:

I HATE THIS poo poo AT LEAST GIVE US A LITTLE BLOOD FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK :d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a:

lol owned

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/york-state-regulators-close-signature-223852687.html

quote:

State regulators closed New York-based Signature Bank on Sunday, just two days after California authorities shuttered Silicon Valley Bank, in a collapse that roiled global markets and stranded billions of dollars of deposits.
[Stay ahead of the market]

The U.S. Treasury Department and other bank regulators said in a joint statement on Sunday that all depositors of Signature Bank will be made whole, and "no losses will be borne by the taxpayer." The Signature failure is the third-largest in U.S. banking history.

New York banking regulators appointed the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) as receiver for later disposition of the bank's assets. Signature Bank reported deposit balances totaling $89.17 billion as of March 8. As of Dec. 31, it had approximately $110.36 billion in assets, according to New York state's Department of Financial Services.

Representatives for Signature Bank did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The FDIC on Sunday established a "bridge" successor bank to Signature, which will enable customers to access their funds on Monday. Signature Bank's depositors and borrowers will automatically become customers of the bridge bank, the FDIC said.

The regulator named former Fifth Third Bancorp Chief Executive Greg Carmichael as CEO of the bridge bank.

Signature's failure followed Silicon Valley Bank's Friday shutdown, the largest failure since Washington Mutual went bust in 2008 during the financial crisis. Washington Mutual still ranks as the largest bank failure in U.S. history.

U.S. officials on Sunday said Silicon Valley Bank customers will have access to their deposits starting on Monday. The federal government also announced actions to shore up deposits and stem any broader financial fallout from the collapse of the tech startup-focused lender.

Signature Bank, a commercial bank with private client offices in New York, Connecticut, California, Nevada and North Carolina, had nine national business lines including commercial real estate and digital asset banking.

As of September, almost a quarter of Signature’s deposits came from the cryptocurrency sector, but the bank announced in December that it would shrink its crypto-related deposits by $8 billion.

Signature Bank announced in February that its chief executive officer, Joseph DePaolo, would transition into a senior adviser role in 2023 and would be succeeded by the bank’s chief operating officer, Eric Howell. DePaolo has served as president and CEO since Signature's inception in 2001.

The bank had had a long-standing relationship with former President Donald Trump and his family, providing Trump and his business with checking accounts and financing several of the family's ventures. Signature Bank cut ties with Trump in 2021 following the deadly Jan. 6 riots on Capitol Hill and urged Trump to resign.

In a statement, New York Governor Kathy Hochul said she hoped the U.S. government's actions on Sunday would provide "increased confidence in the stability of our banking system."

"Many depositors at these banks are small businesses, including those driving the innovation economy, and their success is key to New York's robust economy," she said.

Officials on Sunday said shareholders and certain unsecured debtholders of Signature Bank, as well as those of Silicon Valley Bank, would not be protected, and that senior management of both banks has been removed.

Any losses to the FDIC's Deposit Insurance Fund used to support uninsured depositors will be recovered by a special assessment on banks, as required by law, officials said.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

anime was right posted:

the lack of blood will lead to everyone acting like theyre immune to consequence causing future blood to be bloodier

You would think but this is exactly the situation where the poo poo is supposed to hit the fan but instead the government is just saying actually this is good we love getting poo poo on it's actually cool. Doomsday cancelled until further notice.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
the AUDIT THE FED weirdos are gonna be manic this week

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
nikkei and ASX both down ~1%

they ain't buyin' it jay

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

In Training posted:

So they're already bailing them out? Coul;dn't even last a weekend? Sounds good.

they did this in 2007 and then they were like "poo poo we can stop all this bleeding" and gave up with lehmen bros

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Radirot posted:

lol owned

Pretty much

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/MorganRicks1/status/1635067079006240769?t=DTJTFNRK9pGQZHLO_gvGuw&s=19

Consensus seems to be forming that this is a bailout and that what the FEd and treasury has done is insanity.

lol I'm not a banker but it seems like if the FDIC is now insuring all deposits no matter how big then it's basically a blank check to do whatever no matter how risky. A billion dollars of deposits to speculate in PonziCoin? Why not you already got preemptively bailed out

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

nikkei and ASX both down ~1%

they ain't buyin' it jay

maybe they should ask the fdic to insure all their deposits too

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
15th anniversary of bear stearns and it was loving MBS again... with some of the same people involved. lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
folks well be fine with all the green on st patricks day in 5 days

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

anime was right posted:

they did this in 2007 and then they were like "poo poo we can stop all this bleeding" and gave up with lehmen bros

Sweet. I'm going to quit my job and see how the summer plays out.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm still regretting I didn't take out a PPP "loan" when I could have.

Yeah like a dumbass I assumed there was some kind of check to make sure you weren't doing fraud so I didn't get one

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DelF6zEHXpE&t=6s

time for a classic

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

VideoKid posted:

I’m trying to explain to my mom what’s happening and she was under the impression that all your money that you deposit in the bank is in a pile in a bank vault somewhere. Like in Harry Potter.

Did you avoid talking about the inspiration for the Goblins?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lmao Dems are finshed!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

BREAKING: the economy

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oglethorpe posted:

what did your emails tonight say lol

a task force has been established and webinars are being prepared

lmao.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol I'm not a banker but it seems like if the FDIC is now insuring all deposits no matter how big then it's basically a blank check to do whatever no matter how risky. A billion dollars of deposits to speculate in PonziCoin? Why not you already got preemptively bailed out

BLOODY MILK & HONEY

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

shrike82 posted:

lol couple thousand posts over the past week and we're back to the status quo

we all knew deep down it was gonna happen lol

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Forgive me, if this is wrong, or obvious, but I read that many of the start ups were required by their founders to park their money at SVB. Presumably, this money was coming from accounts that were already at SVB.

Doesn’t that just scream fraud?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

FizFashizzle posted:

Forgive me, if this is wrong, or obvious, but I read that many of the start ups were required by their founders to park their money at SVB. Presumably, this money was coming from accounts that were already at SVB.

Doesn’t that just scream fraud?

Welcome to all of American finance.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

lmao.

Please god let this take out trainual somehow.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao when the fed balance sheet starts going up again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EYRPYMmdsg

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

shyduck posted:

BREAKING: the economy

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I'm putting it all into Bitcoin at the advice of this thread

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

If this guy did nothing he would have all his money but instead he bought SVB shares, while contributing to the collapse of SVB, at 1:30 on Thursday because the SVB CEO "is a great guy"

https://twitter.com/torrenegra/status/1634573234187407369?t=_XpBrWHfJdnXY8zt81Qb-w&s=19

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Xaris has issued a correction as of 01:34 on Mar 13, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

lmao.

webinars! yay love webinars

also

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

This one's also timeless. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLE62zyxlPM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

So did that guy who bought sbv stock make the right call

Yeah everyone knows that the best time to buy stock in a company is when you're panick-withdrawing all your money out of it.