Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

That's the part that got me.

What, did they want to buy an original 1788 edition and hope there was a treasure map on the back?

Buy it, put it on the block chain, and then burn it since it's on the block chain and that's the same as having the real thing so...?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I really don't see why anyone would get mad, I mean it's ON THE BLOCKCHAIN so it's basically immutable now.

Why's this guy with a whip standing outside my house yelling it belongs in a museum?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Strong Sauce posted:

in case you're wondering how these bozos think of normal people

dude's name is one letter away from fedora, so on the nose it must be real

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

also, how can you fail at buying a copy of the American constitution? Just CTR-V that bitch

It's because the liberals are trying to destroy all copies of ARE CONSTITUTION so that they can reclassify white men as domestic animals in law, please smash that like button & share the truth

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Strategic Tea posted:

It's because the liberals are trying to destroy all copies of ARE CONSTITUTION so that they can reclassify white men as domestic animals in law, please smash that like button & share the truth

I'm looking at my cat right now a thinking being a domestic animal seems to be a pretty sweet gig.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

the constitution is a magic totem.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

LostCosmonaut posted:

dude's name is one letter away from fedora, so on the nose it must be real

For some reason nominal determinism seems to be extra strong among crypto idiots. This guy, the guy that's almost named "bankman fraud" etc.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Looks like Signature Bank got closed today:

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1635043035871428611

Also, rumors that First Republic Bank may get shut shortly. Things looking up for the non Too Big To Fail banks!

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

This guy pointed out something really interesting:

https://twitter.com/innoc_bystander/status/1634773071923130369

https://twitter.com/innoc_bystander/status/1634773076943724545

I'd never really thought about it that way. Of course you hear all the time that loans against assets like stock holdings, real estate, etc. are how billionaires generate cashflow without selling off their capital. But if SIVB was committed to bringing those same practices down to the class of people with merely six-to-seven figures in stock/options compensation, how much you wanna bet that management (especially with no more chief risk officer) was willing to call that loan portfolio the medium-term portion of their capital base? Their VC buddies were surely constantly hyping that the liquidity events were practically guaranteed and right around the corner, leaving the bank management feeling free to invest in longer-maturity assets on the open market.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1635043093522300930

loving useless

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

SVB as an entity is done though, so there's that at least. It was always likely that the Treasury would be able to scavenge enough from the carcass to make the depositors whole, by leaving the equity owners with nada.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Why not change the $250,000 limit to unlimited officially then? :thunk:

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

because wingnuts will start screaming about hyperinflation

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Horseshoe theory posted:

Because the whole making comes from assets not the insurance?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

yeah the missing piece here is that they’re saving the depositors at the expense of shareholders and unsecured creditors basically - they’re carving up the corpse to pay the depositors

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

kw0134 posted:

SVB as an entity is done though, so there's that at least. It was always likely that the Treasury would be able to scavenge enough from the carcass to make the depositors whole, by leaving the equity owners with nada.

haha

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

istewart posted:

because wingnuts will start screaming about hyperinflation

no it will be what ever is past hyperinflation i guess plad inflation.

but no at that point ban banks and just have to goverment provide both the service and guarantee

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

they've already been zeroed out

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The real question is which of the non-secured creditors who aren't depositors are getting the shaft, and how big those liabilities are. I don't think SVB itself was a big issuer of debt but I don't really want to dig through it all.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

kw0134 posted:

The real question is which of the non-secured creditors who aren't depositors are getting the shaft, and how big those liabilities are. I don't think SVB itself was a big issuer of debt but I don't really want to dig through it all.

I expect bondholders are unlikely to get paid. I know SVB issued bonds.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

Also, rumors that First Republic Bank may get shut shortly. Things looking up for the non Too Big To Fail banks!

SBNY is a big deal though. SBNY was the other gateway for crypto and stablecoins, if I recall per Divabot. That and Silvergate were it.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/BTC-USD
bitcoin up 8.5% as of now
bank failure is good for bitcoin

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

SBNY is a big deal though. SBNY was the other gateway for crypto and stablecoins, if I recall per Divabot. That and Silvergate were it.

This is good for Bitcoin. (1/49)

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

LostCosmonaut posted:

That's just wash trading (i.e, 99% of buttcoin transactions) OP.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

LostCosmonaut posted:

everyone wants the gently caress out of stablecoins where else is the "money" going to go?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Remembering that dumb crypto chart from years ago that had Bitcoin in the "low" risk category that stuff like High Interest Savings accounts usually exist in.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

yeah the missing piece here is that they’re saving the depositors at the expense of shareholders and unsecured creditors basically - they’re carving up the corpse to pay the depositors

Well good, the system works (until someone rich calls someone else that’s really rich Monday and then taxpayers end up getting hosed as usual)

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

It’s pretty amusing reading cryptobros doing mental gymnastics to rationalise to themselves and others how crypto frees people from the legacy banking institutions, yet it is always correlated heavily with the fortunes of that world.

The three banks that have failed have - as far as I’m aware - been very crypto friendly, if not crypto focused. Don’t know how them all failing is actually good for Bitcoin, now and in the future, given what it will mean when the dust settles, but for the moment, apparently, it is.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Durzel posted:

It’s pretty amusing reading cryptobros doing mental gymnastics to rationalise to themselves and others how crypto frees people from the legacy banking institutions, yet it is always correlated heavily with the fortunes of that world.

The three banks that have failed have - as far as I’m aware - been very crypto friendly, if not crypto focused. Don’t know how them all failing is actually good for Bitcoin, now and in the future, given what it will mean when the dust settles, but for the moment, apparently, it is.

signature bank was known for giving the trumps accounts. haven't read anything that says it had any exposure to crypto. or that crypto caused it.
silicon valley bank also didn't have any, other than maybe holding the funds for crypto startups.

none of this has much to do with cryptocurrency. just banks doing risky poo poo.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

wilderthanmild posted:

Remembering that dumb crypto chart from years ago that had Bitcoin in the "low" risk category that stuff like High Interest Savings accounts usually exist in.

you have to diversify your investments. buy bitcoin, bitcoiin, bitcoin2, and bitcoin classic

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Boxturret posted:

you have to diversify your investments. buy bitcoin, bitcoiin, bitcoin2, and bitcoin classic

This is basically what the chart was iirc.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

kw0134 posted:

Looks like they're bailing depositors out with federal money immediately so now it's a question of whether there's enough assets in the wreckage to pay back the government

https://mobile.twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1635045727230361607

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Sort of federal money. Immediate payments from FDIC fund, any shortfall not covered by sale of assets ultimately passed to the banking industry as a whole via special assessment fees

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

SVB had a lot of money so I rather doubt that there's going to be a shortfall once unsecured debts and the owners are cut off. I'd have made the big big depositors sweat it out for a bit, but insolvency in actual regulated banking usually means "there's not enough cash right now but will be once the market stops panicking and we can sell the boardroom fixtures for a tidy sum."

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

Sort of federal money. Immediate payments from FDIC fund, any shortfall not covered by sale of assets ultimately passed to the banking industry as a whole via special assessment fees

Which I have to assume will eventually be passed onto consumers. Congratulations, your overdraft fees are now $36.50 instead of $35...

Here's hoping it has no effect on us credit union members, since the NCUA is a separate agency.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Horseshoe theory posted:

a random cryptobro spread that rumor because he shorted their stock
VCs are also perpetuating the rumor because they hope it scares the fed into rescuing the entire bank rather than just the deposits.

don't perpetuate the rumor.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

There Bias Two posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing how this impacts crypto prices once they catch wind of the news.

The answer is in: not at all.

Crypto has never behaved in sensible ways.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

a random cryptobro spread that rumor because he shorted their stock
VCs are also perpetuating the rumor because they hope it scares the fed into rescuing the entire bank rather than just the deposits.

don't perpetuate the rumor.

Given recent events, seems like there's pretty good odds on it being self-fulfilling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Horseshoe theory posted:

Given recent events, seems like there's pretty good odds on it being self-fulfilling.

Fair. Also coincidentally, someone just sent me a video of people supposedly lined up outside the bank.