Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

Italian finance bro pointing out the USA is repeating a lot of the same mistakes Italy did when they went through their own financial crisis:

He thinks the only real fix is to forcibly raise deposit rates:

next backstop is China :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

19 o'clock posted:

up yours, broke moralists

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

lol, lmao

it's happening again...

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

the government waking biden up for this is probably a sign of how serious it is

When Russia invaded Ukraine and Afghanistan collapsed it was like 4 days before he shambled out at 4pm on a friday to mutter something

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thank God, I was having trouble sleeping worrying about working moms in Ohio meeting their startup's payroll next week.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Italian finance bro

gross

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This guy says this is gonna trigger a wave of people moving money into big banks instead of having it spread out.

https://twitter.com/PauloMacro/status/1635091004566167553

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm excited for this new era where every USA bank fails all at once and the taxpayers bail them all out.

Risk. Managed.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
some takes

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
God I am just sat here laughing my rear end off

As so many have already pointed out, this is just going to incentivize bank runs because everyone's going to get bailed out and the folks who bail out early and sell stock early (like what happened when SVB got goosed a few years ago) are going to make utterly ruinous amounts of money. Every bank will be squeezed, therefore every bank is protected, therefore every bank is now a literal mint.

Good job to the Biden administration, I suppose, for choosing the path of total financial chaos and proving that the government could just end poverty at will.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Barney Frank himself was on Signature's board

:lol: LOL :lol:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm still regretting I didn't take out a PPP "loan" when I could have.
You hosed up! Taking out a PPP loan was one of the best decisions I ever made. ALWAYS pretend to to be in the capitalist class. I'm still unemployed now, but I'm unemployed with significantly greater savings.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
LOCK HIM UP

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

SpaceDrake posted:

As so many have already pointed out, this is just going to incentivize bank runs because everyone's going to get bailed out and the folks who bail out early and sell stock early (like what happened when SVB got goosed a few years ago) are going to make utterly ruinous amounts of money. Every bank will be squeezed, therefore every bank is protected, therefore every bank is now a literal mint.

Good job to the Biden administration, I suppose, for choosing the path of total financial chaos and proving that the government could just end poverty at will.

:kheldragar:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This was such a monumental mistake that will have unforeseen consequences.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

This guy says this is gonna trigger a wave of people moving money into big banks instead of having it spread out.

Letting the bank depositors eat poo poo would have done that way faster. I mean it might still happen, but...

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

New Thread Title:

[Doomsday Economics] Bank Marathon

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/149589104168939520

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Centrist Committee posted:

too big to fail = any lovely regional bank in america

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

coelomate posted:

Letting the bank depositors eat poo poo would have done that way faster. I mean it might still happen, but...
:yeah:

reality is businesses and people are shook. even if biden bailsout everything in SVB and promises them each a million bucks ontop of it for being so nice customers, people are going to start taking big lumps out almost everywhere. no one wants to be in a position that depositors w SVB are in even if they'll "be made whole"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

3% MBS, is that like a minor baron cutting off the tip of a journalist's finger?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

HURRAH GAMBLING FOR EVERYONE

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

it really is

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Barney Frank, nipples protruding, on the board of signature bank while it collapses. Shameful display

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Eric Cantonese posted:

The bank was shut down and replaced by a nee entity under FDIC control. Shares in the old entity became worthless.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

So

A. FDIC is unlimited insuring everyone regardless of deposit level, we are literally printing infinite money

B. This infinite insurance gets rolled back at some point, people go "Oh gently caress the government is in serious trouble" and we get a mass panic

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

SpaceDrake posted:

is intentionally engineering a bank run using your own money while shorting stock legal? asking for a friend

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

So

A. FDIC is unlimited insuring everyone regardless of deposit level, we are literally printing infinite money

B. This infinite insurance gets rolled back at some point, people go "Oh gently caress the government is in serious trouble" and we get a mass panic

Printing infinite money is the solution until taking a loaded wheelbarrow of bundled cash to the local store still isn't enough to buy a dozen eggs due to inflation.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

SpaceDrake posted:

it's such hot bullshit

general strike

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

So

things are going to get really weird as we realize what the end of the dollar really means

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SKULL.GIF posted:

So

At least until China stops funding our spending; then all bets are off!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if people kept buying up Gamestop stocks to create a "short squeeze" against people who were shorting the stock

couldn't you, like, incite people to withdraw their money from banks to deliberately trigger bank runs to "squeeze" the Feds in a similar manner

EDIT: I see I am not the first person to have thought of this

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

too big to fail = any lovely regional bank in america

That's a shame because I was licking my chops over the idea of the lovely regional bank I worked for going tits up

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

comedyblissoption posted:

is intentionally engineering a bank run using your own money while shorting stock legal? asking for a friend

Yes if you are Peter theil

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

gradenko_2000 posted:

if people kept buying up Gamestop stocks to create a "short squeeze" against people who were shorting the stock

couldn't you, like, incite people to withdraw their money from banks to deliberately trigger bank runs to "squeeze" the Feds in a similar manner

technically yes but the amount of money mere mortal working peons have compared to businesses and capitalists is like a spitball in an ocean

you would need to have a lot of rich people behind it

Xaris has issued a correction as of 03:02 on Mar 13, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

things are going to get really weird as we realize what the end of the dollar really means

It means more CIPS and Mir bank cards.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Starting to think that calvinball was a little too structured, but I like how freeform the FDIC is being right now

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

what would definitely trigger flight would be the fed just going lol and doing nothing, since it guarantees that anything above $250k is not safe, so you go to a bank where the world economy is hosed if it fails. I dunno why paying back depositors has the same effect if they do it by a "just this once, you silly goose" mechanism

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

reality is business, and people are cooked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Nipples protruding. Disgusting