Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1hCLBTD5RM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

thank gently caress i can finally use this again

efb!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

How much of these announcements is just the big hitters trying to move the market/influence the fed

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
yay new thread

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
You know what else is facing a liquidity crisis right now?

My rear end

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

euphronius posted:

did rich people fail a bank on purpose to slow down Jerome ?

Capital strikes just get more and more interesting. No longer just for countries that elect left leaning governments!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Yields are plummeting

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I heard something from the grapevine. The folx are saying that I am too big to fail, and folx I think that they may be right

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

This was such a monumental mistake that will have unforeseen consequences.

and I bet you anything it can be traced back in a direct line to Larry Summers loving tweet

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

euphronius posted:

that's why they make the big bucks

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

If I was Jerome Powell, I'd double the rate increase for this month just to show them who's boss. :colbert:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
dow futures are up up up!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I hate this stupid loving unethical plutocracy of a sham country. Bail out the banks while letting children and parents starve only 2 weeks prior. This country is gross.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Sure, we can bail out the banks, but would that end sexism? Would that end racism? No, but let's do it anyway

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

I hate this stupid loving unethical plutocracy of a sham country. Bail out the banks while letting children and parents starve only 2 weeks prior. This country is gross.

listen jack ill have you know that democracy is at stake and these here banks are the pinnacle of democratic rule

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
can that fancy fed open up a discount window for first time homebuyers nah that's illegal i feel stupid asking

i feel stupid

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Radirot posted:

dow futures are up up up!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ackman hitting the catnip again.

quote:

This was not a bailout. During the GFC, the gov’t injected taxpayer money in the form of preferred stock into banks. Bondholders were protected and shareholders were diluted to varying degrees. Taxpayer money was put at great risk. Many people who screwed up suffered minimal to no consequences. Those were bailouts.

Here, shareholders and bond holders have been wiped out. The @FDICgov insurance fund capitalized by premiums paid by banks will absorb any losses. The fund will recoup any losses by assessing more premiums on the banks.

Had the @FDICgov @USTreasury and @federalreserve not intervened today, we would have had a 1930s bank run continuing first thing Monday causing enormous economic damage and hardship to millions.

More banks will likely fail despite the intervention, but we now have a clear roadmap for how the gov’t will manage them.

Bank boards and managements have received a massive wake up call. Being a director or CEO of a bank that fails is no fun: years of litigation, regulatory investigations, personal liability, potential civil and criminal charges, and enormous reputational damage.

Our gov’t did the right thing. This was not a bailout in any form. The people who screwed up will bear the consequences. The investors who didn’t adequately oversee their banks will be zeroed out and the bondholders will suffer a similar fate.

Importantly, our gov’t has sent a message that depositors can trust the banking system. Without this confidence, we are left with three or possibly four too-big-to-fail banks where the taxpayer is explicitly on the hook, and our national system of community and regional banks is toast.

Our government did the right thing for the country. We are very fortunate it did so.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ben shapino posted:

Sure, we can bail out the banks, but would that end sexism? Would that end racism? No, but let's do it anyway

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"Three... or possibly four"

Wells Fargo is a problem.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you are all gonna look so silly when deutsch bank is the next one to eat poo poo

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

SourKraut posted:

At least until China stops funding our spending; then all bets are off!

About that

quote:

NEW YORK/BEIJING -- China's U.S. government bond holdings hit the lowest in over 12 years at the end of December, while its gold trove grew against a backdrop of American interest rate hikes and bilateral tensions.

Chinese holdings of Treasury securities fell for the fifth straight month in December to $867 billion, data published Wednesday by the U.S. Treasury Department shows.

The figure fell $173.2 billion, or 17%, in 2022 -- the biggest drop since 2016. China was not the only nation to sell down its Treasury holdings -- all foreign holdings of Treasury securities fell 6% in 2022 -- but its move was large.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Markets/Bonds/China-s-U.S.-Treasury-holdings-hit-12-year-low-on-rate-hikes-tensions

:rubby:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

Ackman hitting the catnip again.

savor this weekend goons, the gaslighting from the noise machine to deny the bailout is going to be insufferable

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/HauteTake/status/1635090073514577920

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Stairmaster posted:

you are all gonna look so silly when deutsch bank is the next one to eat poo poo

DB and Citi will be the last banks left

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

net work error posted:

This is definitely a new chapter and innovation in kicking the can down the road.

a.lo posted:

that's why they make the big bucks
:iiaca:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

DancingShade posted:

Printing infinite money is the solution until taking a loaded wheelbarrow of bundled cash to the local store still isn't enough to buy a dozen eggs due to inflation.

we have digital currencies, number doesnt matter

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > [doomsday economics] it was my fault for believing too much in the "We've got the Meats" spiel

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

StratGoatCom posted:

New Thread Title:

[Doomsday Economics] Bank Marathon

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I heard something from the grapevine. The folx are saying that I am too big to fail, and folx I think that they may be right

Lay off the peanut M&Ms.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
i wonder what matt damon's take on this is, from a financial perspective

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

No worries since someone bought those bonds! Bing bong!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Eric Cantonese posted:

Lay off the peanut M&Ms.

No

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
new bull market

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I think this is what actually happened.

Yeah, lmao.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

No worries since someone bought those bonds! Bing bong!

Wild that someone bought a ton of pre 2022 low interest rate bonds. Wonder who that could be? Do we know anybody with a large stockpile of low interest rate bonds?

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Woah woah woah woah hold the gently caress on.

Hardee’s is Carl’s Jr?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

thats arbys slogan, get ur poo poo together

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yes on the east coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Woah woah woah woah hold the gently caress on.

Hardee’s is Carl’s Jr?

It's a regional thing.