Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol Iran read the millennium challenge report and said “we gotta get some of those anti-ship missile speedboats”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
van riper vindicated

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Iran’s top general plays a lot of EVE

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

he learned from the best... general vilerat

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol Iran read the millennium challenge report and said “we gotta get some of those anti-ship missile speedboats”

we cant have em, too little grifts

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

nomad2020 posted:

I wonder how accurate that altitude estimate is. Would need ~15km to get most us jets flying close to their(publicly known) ceilings.

I think usually you need a range of missiles specializing at different altitudes rather than a one size fits all approach.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cerebral Bore posted:

van riper vindicated

US gonna demand a reset of the war after the horrible losses to the Iranian speedboat zerg rush on day 1

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
is it good to go to war when ur banks are failing?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

that’s the best time to go to war

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Filthy Hans posted:

US gonna demand a reset of the war after the horrible losses to the Iranian speedboat zerg rush on day 1

us will have a heated gamer moment and rudely accuse iran of using a scrub strategy

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Filthy Hans posted:

by reset of the war you mean reset of the whole planet, right? gonna be a level of butthurt not seen in ages

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
irl ragequitting and flipping the table

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Delta-Wye posted:

by reset of the war you mean reset of the whole planet, right? gonna be a level of butthurt not seen in ages

that's before the forever whining and doing nothing when it comes to naval mines right

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

russia has downed 1 of our heroic drones in the black sea.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

our nation has been disrespected by what can only be described as a jet pissing fuel in our freedom-loving crafts face repeatedly until its propeller got clipped by the evil russiand laughing too hard to fly straight and it crashed.

im heading down to the bunker see you there

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

lol I saw a BBC article characterise it as a simple innocent MQ-9 surveillance drone, but then I looked up the drone and learned it's a hunter-killer UAV known as either the MQ-9 Reaper, or a Predator B if you're feeling fancy.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Redezga posted:

lol I saw a BBC article characterise it as a simple innocent MQ-9 surveillance drone, but then I looked up the drone and learned it's a hunter-killer UAV known as either the MQ-9 Reaper, or a Predator B if you're feeling fancy.

Given where and why it's operating, I doubt it was fitted with hellfires. Why have the extra weight and drag when your ROE doesn't allow for their use?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can definitely see these people taking a sunk carrier in stride

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Given where and why it's operating, I doubt it was fitted with hellfires. Why have the extra weight and drag when your ROE doesn't allow for their use?

I doubt it was armed as well. I just thought it was funny they tiptoed around the drone being named after something that is characterised either by it's killing nature, or being the personification of death itself.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

our lil smol bean surveillance drone never hurt anybody

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Slavvy posted:

I can definitely see these people taking a sunk carrier in stride

it can be a sunk LCS and the libs will demand nuclear destruction over it

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Danann posted:

it can be a sunk LCS and the libs will demand nuclear destruction over it

Even if it just sunk because it finished melting.

Redezga posted:

I doubt it was armed as well. I just thought it was funny they tiptoed around the drone being named after something that is characterised either by it's killing nature, or being the personification of death itself.

It's a farming drone!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

russia has downed 1 of our heroic drones in the black sea.

my favorite part of it is how they're calling it "unprofessional" to have downed the drone. makes me wish that we had a phrase in american english like "it's just not cricket"

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Redezga posted:

the original Predator could only carry 2 measly Hellfire missiles, that's barely enough to deliver freedom to a wedding party where a terrorist might be present

the Reaper can carry 4 Hellfire II missiles which is enough to fully destroy a large house of worship

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"hey if you gonna gently caress with us use the bullets so we can do a real war"

"comrade, we are taking out that drone but we cannot fire a shot"

in ye2230 of the american empire they will have tropes about how the perfidious russians sent up one jet with ammo and the other with the weapons and they had to dump fuel on it to down it

Grognan has issued a correction as of 05:36 on Mar 15, 2023

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Lmao

quote:

The Air Force has contracted with General Atomics to build over 360 Reapers since the program began in 2007. A single Reaper drone costs roughly $30 million today, according to a Congressional Research Service report released last year.

Chinese Luxury Export Option

quote:

However, the Wing Loong II's high acquisition price (believed to approach some 15 million USD) compared to the earlier Wing Loong I as well as contemporary designs has ensured that the latter is still popular on the export market to this day.

Chinese Budget Option

quote:

Since 2011, China has also sold the Wing Loong, an armed drone, to several countries in Africa and the Middle East, including Nigeria, Egypt, and the United Arab Emirates. At an estimated $1 million per unit, it provides capabilities similar to that of the U.S. Predator drone at less than a quarter of the cost.

gotta make our expandable drones gold plated somehow

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mawarannahr posted:

he learned from the best... general vilerat

A pyrrhic victory beats a flat loss.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Danann posted:

The F-22's canopy is gold plated.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/TheKavernacle/status/1571463066327609344

I dunno if this is the right thread for this post but whatevs

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
post it in gip

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Danann posted:

Lmao

Chinese Luxury Export Option

Chinese Budget Option

Wait, China is breaking into the expensive as gently caress drone market?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

genericnick posted:

Wait, China is breaking into the expensive as gently caress drone market?

They've been there for a while now. Probably ahead in a lot ways if their civilian drone market is anything to go by.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

https://twitter.com/TheKavernacle/status/1571463066327609344

I dunno if this is the right thread for this post but whatevs

Vs

DarkDobe posted:

If you wanna chill for like 20 minutes I recommend Shurap
Watch a Ukrainian master blacksmith turn pieces of Russian tanks into cool knives, with a tea break in the middle.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

AgentF posted:

Makes sense to me. They had an ideological competitor that they had to demonstrate a high quality of life advantage against.

Miss the days when you could write the local USSR embassy about how your government refuse to fix the only bridge in town, and then your embarrassed official finally comes to fix poo poo.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They probably got sick motorcycles now too.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lmao
Space Force Focuses on Partnerships, Spirit, Combat Readiness

www.defense.gov posted:

The U.S. Space Force's $30 billion budget request for Fiscal Year 2024 is about $3.9 billion over what was enacted for the service in FY2023. More than 60% of the Space Force budget, about $19.2 billion worth, is aimed at research, development, testing and evaluation.

Testifying yesterday before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Chief of Space Operations Gen. B. Chance Saltzman explained the challenges he sees in a contested space domain and how the Space Force aims to ready itself to meet those challenges.

"When describing space threats, it is important to account for two kinds: first, threats from space assets and second, threats to space assets," Saltzman said.

Threats from space, the general said, include both China's and Russia's robust space-based capabilities which allow them to find, target, and attack U.S. military forces on land, at sea and in the air.

The U.S. also has assets in space — satellites that it relies on for communications and navigation, for instance — that are put at risk by the nation's adversaries.

"Both China and Russia continue to develop, field and deploy a range of weapons aimed at U.S. space capabilities," the general said. "The spectrum of threats to U.S. space capabilities includes cyber warfare activities, electronic attack platforms, directed energy lasers designed to blind or damage satellite sensors, ground-to-orbit missiles to destroy satellites and space-to-space orbital engagement systems that can attack U.S. satellites in space."

To meet the challenges posed by adversaries, Saltzman told lawmakers that Space Force efforts in FY2024 will focus on fielding combat-ready forces, amplifying the Guardian spirit and strengthening the partnerships the Space Force relies on to accomplish its mission.

"My first priority is to build resilient, ready, combat-credible space forces," Saltzman told lawmakers. "To do this, we are accelerating the pivot towards resilient satellite constellations, ground stations, networks and data links."

The general said the Space Development Agency's "Proliferated Warfighter Space Architecture," or PWSA — previously called the "National Defense Space Architecture" — is a prime example of that effort.

The PWSA includes hundreds of satellites, delivered in "tranches" every two years, with each tranche providing more capability than the last. That total system involves a "mesh network" of hundreds of optically interconnected satellites in orbit that make up its "transport" layer. The PWSA also includes six additional layers: tracking, custody, deterrence, navigation, battle management and support.

Also part of building a resilient, ready and combat-credible force, Saltzman said, is emphasizing cybersecurity and preparing Space Force Guardians to detect and defeat cyber-attacks against networks, systems, ground stations, datalinks and satellites.

The U.S. Space Force stood up in December 2019, just over 3 years ago. Developing talent to staff the new service is a priority, Saltzman said.

"My second priority is to amplify the Guardian spirit by embracing a modern talent management process that recruits the best talent, develops and retains an elite workforce and empowers Guardians to succeed," he said.

An example of that is the service's constructive service credit program which allows experienced professionals from key fields to directly commission into the Space Force at ranks appropriate to their civilian experience.

"Over the last year we have also deployed space-centric curriculum for basic military training, Reserve Officer Training Corps and Officer Training School," the general said.

The Space Force is also looking to a concept that allows personnel to more easily move between full-time and part-time military service — without causing damage to their careers — so that they can pursue enriching opportunities outside full-time military service. This concept is something Congress can help the service accomplish, Saltzman said.

Since taking over as chief of space operations, just four months ago, Saltzman said he has visited multiple combatant commands and also met with space chiefs in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.

"U.S. allies and international partners are eager for expanded collaboration with the Space Force, especially in areas that strengthen the effectiveness of coalition space operations and reinforce norms of responsible behavior," Saltzman said.

Strengthen partnerships, he said, is the third priority for Space Force, Saltzman said.

"The Space Force will strive to eliminate barriers to collaboration, including overclassification, so we can build enduring advantages with our partners," he said. "To date, personnel from over 50 countries have participated in training, education and exercise events hosted by the Space Force. We are also leveraging allies and partners to expand our warfighting capability."

Saltzman also said that commercial partners and the technologies developed there, such as advanced power and propulsion, artificial intelligence and machine learning and in-space servicing, assembly, and manufacturing, are also a focus for increased partnerships for Space Force.

"The Space Force is the preeminent military space organization in the world," Saltzman told senators. "Our adversaries seek to surpass the United States and challenge our advantage. We cannot and will not allow this to happen. Our Guardians will out work, out innovate and out compete our adversaries to ensure that we succeed."

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Why does New Zealand have a space chief.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

151st orbital assault grifters

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Thoguh posted:

Why does New Zealand have a space chief.

it's the Coalition of the Willing all over again

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ronkainen7k15/status/1630901981954064384

lol at the variations with gun turrets that would need uparmoring to survive russian chinese opfor shrapnel and bullets anyways

edit:
https://twitter.com/ronkainen7k15/status/1630039026991525888

Danann has issued a correction as of 06:19 on Mar 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

that thing is probably only gonna be used for hassling migrants at the border