Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jolo posted:

It's quick??

If it does a variation of the theme that's pretty cool but my dense rear end didn't notice it at all.

It's about 30-35 seconds total and that's it. That's all the opening sequence there is. I'd say that's pretty quick compared to most shows!

It also completely slaps as a tone setter. That theme is so loving good it gets me in the mood every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

It’s not prestige tv if it doesn’t have a 6 minute long gritty blues song intro with a bunch of slide guitar and a gravelly voiced gritty boy singing bout hard times

And it's not a fantasy/scifi show without a four minute tilt-shift sequence of props or random textures

BonoMan posted:

It's about 30-35 seconds total and that's it. That's all the opening sequence there is. I'd say that's pretty quick compared to most shows!

It also completely slaps as a tone setter. That theme is so loving good it gets me in the mood every time.

10 seconds even

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

It feels long to me but yeah I bet it's actually pretty short especially compared to a sequence like Game of Thrones or something. Sorry for this dumb derail haha, it's a good show and that's why my only complaint is a nitpicky one.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m watching white dragon, it’s a kind of spin on the missing wife mystery set in Hong Kong, it’s on prime. Pretty engaging, I usually find British crime shows way too dry

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I kind of appreciate how flimsy the plotting was to get Charlie back on the road in the Poker Face finale because the show does what it does very well and I'd watch 10 more hours of it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I haven’t watch the finale yet, but I did just watch the Escape from poo poo Mountain episode. Might be my favorite episode of the season.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

mcmagic posted:

I kind of appreciate how flimsy the plotting was to get Charlie back on the road in the Poker Face finale because the show does what it does very well and I'd watch 10 more hours of it.

Yeah it was a bit of a bummer after the big reveal that Ron Perlman had forgiven her only to have it flip that now she's going to have to run from Rhea Perlman.

I worry about more seasons, how many more R. Perlmans are there in Hollywood?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm pissed that Perfect Match draws from every one of Netflix's dumb roster of reality shows, yet no one from Love on The Spectrum has shown up. I need Franchesca to get matched up with a guy who explains the history of Sonic the Hedgehog to her in excruciating detail.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Medullah posted:

I worry about more seasons, how many more R. Perlmans are there in Hollywood?

oh my god I didn’t even catch this

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Is Cheat the worst game show ever created? It's basically just people being asked trivia questions, they give an answer that may or may not be correct(because you're allowed to make up the answer), then at the end of a tediously long round of questions the contestants get ranked based on how accurate they were in calling out the other people for making up answers.

Did they workshop this premise at all? In practice it ends up being completely worthless as a trivia game because you don't know what answers are correct and which are made up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The fake Fleetwood Mac music from Daisy Jones and the Six is pretty bad but i'm still enjoying it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Would recommend Orphan and Orphan: First Kill in that order.

Orphan is pretty good (successfully overcomes the curse of Vera Farmiga making things feel formulaic just by being there), and sets up the sequel well. Isabelle Fuhrman is excellent.

I hope one day Peter Sarsgaard gets a role where he doesn't play Huge loving Douchebag, that'd be a switch.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Please tell me the metal episode of Poker Face is the worst episode and it gets better from here.
The formula felt most bare here with a weak conclusion.
I love the stars in this but it's format feels stale already

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, the metal one is probably the worst aside from John Darnielle singing fake mountain goats songs.

The 7th episode is also not great, but it doesn't spend 30 minutes on setup like the metal one. Episode 8 is probably the strongest, 9 is decent, and 10 is just wrapping the plot up.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Upsidads posted:

Please tell me the metal episode of Poker Face is the worst episode and it gets better from here.
The formula felt most bare here with a weak conclusion.
I love the stars in this but it's format feels stale already
The show is very formulaic. They do a bit to mix things up in some of the later episodes but fundamentally it's a modern version of Columbo and Columbo is formulaic as hell. It might work better spread out over a longer period of time if you dislike the formulaic nature of things. Week to week you might start to get worn down by the pattern. For what it's worth I liked all the episodes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Poker Face started out strong and got increasingly stupider with each episode imo. Still pretty entertaining, but I would be hard pressed to actually call it any good.

I never really watched Columbo so I don't know how 1:1 it is, but I find the whole premise pretty weird. You watch up to half the episode seeing exactly how the murder is committed and also the murderers motivations, and then cut to the non surprise that the most cursed woman in the world who causes murders literally everywhere she goes was there the whole time. She also happens to have a magic superpower that will surely lead to her solving the murder by the end of the episode. This is every episode. There's not really any mystery and the vehicle she uses to solve the crimes doesn't make any sense, so sometimes idg what I'm supposed to be invested in.

The first episode was really strong, but it also made me think there was going to me more to the show. I was still fully on board for the nest two episodes but from there is just got increasing cartoonish and corny. The next 5 eps I watched ranged from bad to awful. natasha Lyonne is good in it it, but I don't think it's enough to carry the whole show because the writing could be a lot better and the cast varies a lot in quality. The one with the metal band and the one with the old ladies were just awful.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 11, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Columbo and Poker Face are both “howcatchems” instead whodunnits, where the focus is more on how the protagonist will figure things out. Columbo did this by showing him trying to trip up murderers in interviews and catch them in lies, Poker Face does it with Charlie’s magic lie detector.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Columbo and Poker Face are both “howcatchems” instead whodunnits, where the focus is more on how the protagonist will figure things out. Columbo did this by showing him trying to trip up murderers in interviews and catch them in lies, Poker Face does it with Charlie’s magic lie detector.

If you like this formula but Columbo is too nice and lighthearted, try "The Closer," where you'll end up rooting for the murderer to get away with it half the time because of the main character's insane, lawless cruelty

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Big Mean Jerk posted:

By the end of the season, you can almost feel the show switch into video game mode during any key conversation, with each villain as the next level boss. I half expect :objection: to break out.

As a "howcatchem" fan, that's the loving catnip right there.

EDIT: To the point where I hope that, having taught the audience how to watch the show, they go subtler with the lies next season. Give me a hit of that good "Encyclopedia Brown" poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Name Change posted:

Would recommend Orphan and Orphan: First Kill in that order.

Orphan is pretty good (successfully overcomes the curse of Vera Farmiga making things feel formulaic just by being there), and sets up the sequel well. Isabelle Fuhrman is excellent.

I hope one day Peter Sarsgaard gets a role where he doesn't play Huge loving Douchebag, that'd be a switch.

First Kill was not the prequel I expected it to be and it was so much better because of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Its a bummer that Orphan first kill got dropped on Amazon really quick but the first one isn't streaming anywhere and I never saw it. It looked stupid but I have heard enough good stuff to be intrigued

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
First Kill is alright, but my understanding is the original isn't nearly stupid enough to be worth it. First Kill corrects that by being very, very stupid. For example it's a nearly 10 years later prequel and the lead actress very clearly looks like an adult walking around on her knees next to the adults. It's insane and it never stops looking insane.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

First Kill is alright, but my understanding is the original isn't nearly stupid enough to be worth it. First Kill corrects that by being very, very stupid. For example it's a nearly 10 years later prequel and the lead actress very clearly looks like an adult walking around on her knees next to the adults. It's insane and it never stops looking insane.

Orphan is good whenever it's following the Orphan around as she does stuff, and extremely by-the-numbers whenever Vera Farmiga is doing stuff. The second movie corrects this mistake and makes the Orphan the protagonist.

I have kinda grown to low-key hate Vera Farmiga movies because she's always in did-it-for-the-paycheck parts and could be replaced with anyone. That still wasn't enough to make me dislike Orphan.

Baron von Eevl posted:

People will probably be able to guess the central twist of the first film about 25 minutes in, which is the reason why the second one works without this being a problem.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Orphan is on Hoopla which may be available through your library. I watched it last month and thought it'd be a bit sillier than it is but it's played pretty straight.

Had a funny moment where while watching with my wife listening in the other room I said out loud "ok, my theory is that she's not actually a little girl, she just looks like one. That makes a lot of the reveals about her make sense." Then like 5 minutes later that was confirmed by the movie.

I think it helped that I didn't know anything about the movie prior to watching so I wasn't really looking for a twist of any kind. It always bugs me when marketing around a movie emphasizes that you won't believe the shocking twist ending because then you're primed to watch the movie looking for anything suspicious.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 11, 2023

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Oof, You S4 Part II is really bad. I liked what they set up in the first half but it really goes off the rails badly in the last few episodes that it retroactively makes me hate the rest of the season.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

thatfuturekid posted:

Oof, You S4 Part II is really bad. I liked what they set up in the first half but it really goes off the rails badly in the last few episodes that it retroactively makes me hate the rest of the season.

Was briefly confused because I’d never heard of a series called Oof, You

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
FYI, Arrested Development exit from Netflix has been pushed to March 24th for whatever reason. So you still have time to rewatch seasons 4 and 5 if you so wish.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

1glitch0 posted:

FYI, Arrested Development exit from Netflix has been pushed to March 24th for whatever reason. So you still have time to rewatch seasons 4 and 5 if you so wish.

It's on Hulu too, but my progress is saved on Netflix ugh

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Inspector Hound posted:

It's on Hulu too, but my progress is saved on Netflix ugh

Hulu only has season 1-3. I don't know where if anywhere s4 and 5 are going to be once Netflix takes them off. One other thing I've noticed is Hulu appears to have longer versions of some of the episodes. Or at least the pilot.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Open Source Idiom posted:

I love live productions. I know that laugh track sitcoms always involved a significant bit of fakery, but I love the way older shows will have bits where one person in the audience starts chuckling ahead of everyone else, or will have a completely separate reaction to the rest of the group, or where you'll see actors work with/against the crowd rather than just simulate the effect.

Married with children is the king of this, but all the Actors are amazing at reading the audience. Like Every time one of the main chars walks into the house for the first time or when the the jokes are so loving funny, the actors have to wait for the audience to stop laughing.

God what a great show. It's probably the least woke show ever (in 2022), but it absolutely holds up 30 years later if you can just enjoy that.

So many good moments but I remember the Satelite installation ep being my favorite, and my 2 favorite moments in the show, when Marcy brings some raw chicken thing to the Bundy's
Al answers "Congratulations Marcy, I didn't know you were expecting"

and in the Tornado episode where they're playing the game with that girl in Bud's basement

MARCY Well, since we're stuck here, we might as well play Mad Libs, okay? I need a verb.
AL "Cluck".
MARCY [writing] Okay... Somebody give me a command.
ARIEL "Cluck you"?
AL [smiling and pointing at Ariel] I like you.

Hirez fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 12, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The other thing about live sitcoms is that if a joke didn’t get laughs from the real audience, they would rewrite and refilm it on the fly. Pretty good feedback loop.

OTOH, live audiences love slapstick.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

1glitch0 posted:

Hulu only has season 1-3. I don't know where if anywhere s4 and 5 are going to be once Netflix takes them off. One other thing I've noticed is Hulu appears to have longer versions of some of the episodes. Or at least the pilot.

have s4-s5 been released on bluray? if not, there's always piracy.

(and it's a bit sad that pirates are as always the caretakers of digital history, since the companies themselves don't care enough)

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm doing a rewatch on breaking bad and holy crap how did anyone ever think Walt was a hero? He's the biggest piece of poo poo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Field Mousepad posted:

I'm doing a rewatch on breaking bad and holy crap how did anyone ever think Walt was a hero? He's the biggest piece of poo poo
He is, from the first episode he is. People are fuckin stupid

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

He is, from the first episode he is. People are fuckin stupid

Was I 20 or something?

*Checks calendar*

Yes, yes and drunk as poo poo.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah it's sad looking back at all the Skylar hating discourse from back then but it's not surprising

gently caress Hank though I'd be happy to see that dumb poo poo die a hundred more times

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't understand why people feel they need to take such a binary stance on Walter White. Clearly he is a POS and a bad person, but it's not surprising that people think he's cool either. He does cool stuff, he kills bad guys you hate. You can't help but root for him a lot of the time, but he's also just as evil as any of the bad guys on the show. He might even be the worst one. That's kind of the whole reason he's an interesting character.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I don't understand why people feel they need to take such a binary stance on Walter White. Clearly he is a POS and a bad person, but it's not surprising that people think he's cool either. He does cool stuff, he kills bad guys you hate. You can't help but root for him a lot of the time, but he's also just as evil as any of the bad guys on the show. He might even be the worst one. That's kind of the whole reason he's an interesting character.
The Skyler Discourse poisoned the well, you must pick a side

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

veni veni veni posted:

It feels good to tell yourself you're morally superior to the rest of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Oh Walt is an interesting character for sure and you absolutely do root for him once in a while but overall he is an awful person. Having an intriguing character arc doesn't make that character morally good.