Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
euro markets are not convinced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mola Yam posted:

if nothing matter

and nothing is real

can i have a billion dollars

i got an idea

Me in 2025, a homeless guy wearing a crumpled cashmere suit jacket, slumped in a doorway holding a "please help" sign:

Sure mister but you can you spare me $250 million so I can get a coffee and breakfast?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mola Yam posted:

if nothing matter

and nothing is real

can i have a billion dollars

i got an idea

You could have... but then the Fed raised rates!!!

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
had a flash of clarity where i realized the next X years are just whipsawing rapidly between liquidity crises and rapid inflation, shaking society apart like a limp infant.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Mola Yam posted:

had a flash of clarity where i realized the next X years are just whipsawing rapidly between liquidity crises and rapid inflation, shaking society apart like a limp infant.

:nsa:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

the bank has to go broke and get taken over by the government for it to happen, the bankers themselves still lose all their money
to be fair even if the government hypothetically requires a bank to be completely taken over and its management fired to press the magic brrr button, it's a tremendous subsidy to uninsured depositors that did not exist before specifically to help the banks.

the billionaires with billions of uninsured liquid deposits apparently dont have to worry about any of this bond or interest rate or insured deposit poo poo the proles do!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mola Yam posted:

blasting the money printer to avoid recession so much that you threaten to destroy the concept of your currency to the point where you have to raise interest rates so high you threaten to destroy the economy you built with the printer only to have to break the printer back out to avoid a complete systemic collapse is how the economy works idiot

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
US futures starting to turn red

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mola Yam posted:

Just one society. Don't worry. Civilisation will endure as will we all.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

nice

:rubby:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

fanfic insert posted:

US futures starting to turn red

Turning red you say? :ussr:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

so the fed and treasury is saying that if you bought a low interest bond a couple years ago as a non-banker, you were a rube. a sucker. a buffoon. you could've just parked the money in a uninsured deposit without the associated fees and your bank could literally die and you would be better off.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

comedyblissoption posted:

so the fed and treasury is saying that if you bought a low interest bond a couple years ago as a non-banker, you were a rube. a sucker. a buffoon. you could've just parked the money in a uninsured deposit without the associated fees and your bank could literally die and you would be better off.

well yeah the treasury can do what it wants. what are you gonna do, vote?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the bank in this scenario of course died specifically for the exact thing that the uninsured depositor didn't want to do: park their money in illiquid treasury bonds and other assets that pay gently caress all with the risk of rising rates

lmao

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Happy to be posting with you all from a colony tying itself firmly the the sinking US ship :mcnally:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Antonymous posted:

how come the page count number is so low I thought number go up

The mods have sinned against number. We must send our posts in atonement.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:hai:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Antonymous posted:

how come the page count number is so low I thought number go up

fed bought all the derivative posts

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
post consolidation on a 1:10000 basis, only the very best posts were retained. things are not looking good

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Lpzie posted:

i know just the goon that should run GoonBank....

Free cumshitter

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
free zaurg

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
why do new threads get made? why dont we let page number soar as high as possible?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Free cumshitter

is that the guy who ran away with the goon fund? was that ever flushed out?

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
get ready today is gonna be wild

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1635224216139362305

:evilbuddy:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Just keep this rickety poo poo heap moving forward until the election in 18 months

You can do it joe

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

comedyblissoption posted:

The lesson was to park your money in aluminium rods or something tangible.

Note: you might need to own your own warehouse otherwise the rods might not be there when you go to collect later.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Convict_No9653/status/1635076794113232896?t=4IsHKwzbw3PnCJk3S6lvzg&s=19

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i've been asking in another thread but can someone explain how this isn't a bailout - it smells like one but apparently it isn't? (this isn't a SYQ just me trying to figure out wtf happened)

quote:

i dont get it. will the firesale of every asset this bank owns be enough to cover all deposits?? if so why was there a bank run in the first place. if not where's the money coming from. i don't see how this comes from 'shareholders' pockets they already bought the stock?

also who's buying the bank's assets and at what prices

quote:

the deposit book of the bank has some market cap value (otherwise there's have been no share price because there's no cash flow). crudely if there was 1 billion in deposits and you bought 1 billion of treasuries at 4% you've now got 40 million of profit to pay your shareholders. that deposit book is worth something

but the market value of the bank itself without that deposit book is now zero (or less than zero) because it went insolvent and no longer exists so shareholders eat poo poo because they own zero and so does anyone else that owned bonds issued by SVB because they're not going to get paid back. I guess other creditors like contractors get handled through the administrative wind up idk

anyway shareholders always eat it first. you're the absolutely the most junior tranche and if you get pennies on the dollar back you'd be doing well

quote:

a lot of SVB's assets were 10 year US treasury bonds bought a year or so ago when the interest rate on those bonds was poo poo, ~1.7%.

since you can go out right now and get a bond pulling about 4%, the only way to get someone to buy a 1.7% bond is to make up for the interest difference over the next 9 years by selling a "$1000" bond for like $650. which was a problem for SVB because they had to sell those bonds right loving now to pay back depositors.

except now the fed and FDIC are coming along and saying "I will loan you $1000 on a bond with a $1000 face value"

since the dead husk of SVB can basically turn a pile of $650 assets into $1000 in cash there's plenty of money to pack back depositors.

quote:

if you plan to "hold to maturity" on the bond i.e. buy a 10 year bond for 100 and hold it for 10 years, you can value it in your balance sheet at 100. That bond will pay x% every year which is called a coupon, basically just like any other loan (nobody mention zero coupon bonds or day count fractions plz)

but if you sell that bond before the 10 years is up *and* interest rates have gone up you'll get less than 100 for it because someone could just take the same money and buy a bond that pays them more. Basically your X% bond is not as attractive as an X+1% bond so is worth less

the bonds will still pay out at 100 though, so assuming whoever buys the book has enough liquidity to pay out any remaining withdrawals and assuming Bob dobbs' doomsaying is wrong and come Monday the entire world does not inexplicably decide to try and withdraw all their money and put it ??? then it should more or less work out

quote:

not being hostile here, i am struggling to understand how this isn't the case (i have a bad brain and its 2am here). basically the federal reserve has said all the bonds worth like 300 bucks on the open market can actually be given up as collateral worth 1000 bucks, and therefore some other entity will get a loan worth that amount from the feds to pay back depositors?

i understand that the bonds will pay out the 1000 in 10 years but won't inflation mean that that 1000 isn't actually 1000 in today's dollars? surely there has to be some kind of a loss from someone somewhere to pay for this

quote:

i’m skipping a lot of posts to say it isn’t a bailout because the feds aren’t giving the banks any money. they’re shifting bonds that have a $100 face value to their balance sheet while giving the bank $100 in cash they need to cover deposits. in one year, the bank returns the $100 and the fed gives them the bond back. if they don’t return the $100, the fed keeps the bond and is no worse off.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

why do new threads get made? why dont we let page number soar as high as possible?

Because we're communists, Ed

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Brrrmph posted:

is that the guy who ran away with the goon fund? was that ever flushed out?

no cumshitter doxxed a goon, iirc while drunk

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

are you referring to a bailout, which they will assume is guaranteed?

otherwise I don’t get it

Vox Nihili posted:

the bank has to go broke and get taken over by the government for it to happen, the bankers themselves still lose all their money

I’m taking about the new BTFP (Bank Term Funding Program) that the FDIC is rolling out for not yet failed banks. It’ll allow the ~600 billion plus in unrealized losses for live banks to Not Matter because they can get loans from the feds equal to those unrealized losses while they wait out their bond maturities.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/monetary20230312a.htm

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mila kunis posted:

i've been asking in another thread but can someone explain how this isn't a bailout - it smells like one but apparently it isn't? (this isn't a SYQ just me trying to figure out wtf happened)

Well you see it's bad optics to do a bailout therefore we didn't do one of those, we invented a new term. It's like when dumb gently caress economists were talking about inflation going down when they actually meant inflation is growing slightly slower

Economics and finance is the profession of barefaced lying

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mila kunis posted:

Meanings of words change and will continue to change as rapidly as needed to ensure whatever happens today isn't something that can be legally defined as something else previously occurring in the past.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lol starting a new thread when the financial apocalypse didn't materialize was the right call

I just skimmed through the last two megathreads which goes back to 2017 and I wish we had it even further back - years of goons calling for number to go down and it refusing

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Glumwheels posted:

I can’t help but think Peter thiel caused this mess for a specific reason, he did cash out Wednesday and started the bank run

Then all his cronies and PayPal scumbags started shrieking about bailouts

can't thtop the thiel!

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

no cumshitter doxxed a goon, iirc while drunk

there but for the grace of God go I

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

First Republic is eating deep poo poo pre market, and I can’t explain it. Their capitalization actions combined with the FDIC’s magic new BTFP bucks should get them off of death row.

Other bank stocks are hurting too and again, they got a sneaky bailout in the form of being able to borrow a buck on 50 cents collateral which is a pretty nice thing! What gives?

Either the markets are being silly, or the medicine has not killed the infection.

Actually, even if the market is wrong, if that wrongness still leads to bank runs and there will be blood.

Here we go!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mila kunis posted:

it isn't a bailout because the term has bad connotations and the government doesn't want to look bad so they are splitting hairs on the term. Like calling tax increases "fund raising" or refusing to call multiple quarters of negative growth a recession before the midterms. It's the financial equivalent of "Died with Covid not Of Covid."

debate poisoned posters seeing some technical semantics to argue about are running defense with dictionaries because they are dumb

it is a bailout

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 11:51 on Mar 13, 2023

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Joe Biden told me it wasn’t a bailout, Jack. You see the investors in the fart app, the fart app, and 6 other banks that deserve to be put to the sword all get a secret stash of new money just for them to survive something the rules said should kill them. But it’s not a bailout because (cut to commercial)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Mormon soaking isn’t sex and this isn’t a bailout