Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

why do new threads get made? why dont we let page number soar as high as possible?

people like to make threads
also the fed guaranteeing all deposits forever is a mistake and they should absolutely require every bank to pay on their unsecured deposits the same way they do on the secured ones

Relevant Tangent has issued a correction as of 11:58 on Mar 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1635216298706862082?s=20

:lol:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

My “it wasn’t a bailout” t-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my t-shirt.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

still think a token haircut was needed to remind people and institutions of what insured vs uninsured means
one percent, or even just a dollar per account with "next time you're hosed" would've helped

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

mila kunis posted:

i've been asking in another thread but can someone explain how this isn't a bailout - it smells like one but apparently it isn't? (this isn't a SYQ just me trying to figure out wtf happened)
it's a bail out of uninsured depositors that are billionaires

everyone understood that if you have uninsured money in a bank, that if the bank goes tits up as banks tend to do, you will take a haircut or massive loss on your uninsured deposits

to avoid this risk, you could make sure your money is insured or convert it into assets. but the exorbitantly wealthy being bailed out didn't want their money to be less liquid or eat the potential loss from interest rates going up or pay the implicit fees that come with insured deposits.

the government is stepping in and saying that wealthy people are not allowed to lose money even though they placed a bet and failed on a risk that everyone understood! they get to have their cake and eat it!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's not a bailout. What are you, some kind of dog faced pony soldier?

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

why do new threads get made? why dont we let page number soar as high as possible?

Ait wants his posting record looking like the financial industry, an overwashed unravelling shirt

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

in order to make sure wealthy people do not lose money here on their uninsured deposits, they are going to use the government fund intended for insured depositors that ordinary people with insured deposits (e.g. FDIC) implicitly pay fees for.

again, SVB is unique in that like some crazy high 90+% number of depositors are uninsured. they have not been proportionately paying into this govt insurance fund they are currently enjoying that you were paying into!

comedyblissoption has issued a correction as of 12:16 on Mar 13, 2023

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Lol the index and bond futures all decided to make a dump slash run at 3am and I got to manage that risk all by myself that was a fun morning

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

money

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Also FRC is down to 30 (from 80) in early trading

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

otoh there's going to be a special assessment which banks hate and the executives of svb are going to spend years in court trying to avoid prison so that's a plus

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Good morning

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

comedyblissoption posted:

in order to make sure wealthy people do not lose money here on their uninsured deposits, they are going to use the government fund intended for insured depositors that ordinary people with insured deposits (e.g. FDIC) implicitly pay fees for.

again, SVB is unique in that like some crazy high 90+% number of depositors are uninsured. they have not been proportionately paying into this govt insurance fund they are currently enjoying that you were paying into!

Hey this fund you all paid money into for the common good?

Yeah a bunch of men wearing striped pyjamas carrying bulging sacks with dollar signs on them are currently running out the building lol

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Same as it ever was.

They don't want to gut social security because they don't want to pay the taxes, they want to gut social security so they can take the money you've already paid into it.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Brrrmph posted:

is that the guy who ran away with the goon fund? was that ever flushed out?

Goa Tse-tung posted:

no cumshitter doxxed a goon, iirc while drunk

Sorta, I think he just threatened to post or use information the goon had already posted? It was weird.

But yeah, Goonfund Plinkey is back, richer than ever!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

CNBC anchor just now asking if regional bank depositors are chill or if they’re still jumpy, says quote: “some of the phone numbers at JPMorgan are busy right now because of all the people trying to open new accounts”

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Biden speaking at 8am Monday, a totally normal time for Presidential addresses and in no way a Baghdad Bob impression.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

coelomate posted:

Biden speaking at 8am Monday, a totally normal time for Presidential addresses and in no way a Baghdad Bob impression.

listen you dog faced pony soldier

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I hope Biden speaking at 8am completely placates the entire financial sector and in no way freaks everyone out and causes bloodshed

:evilbuddy:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
so the feds are giving the banks money and they get an IOU?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

so the feds are giving the banks money and they get an IOU?
in the specific case of SVB uninsured depositors, the feds are handing them a giant bag of money and getting absolutely nothing in return.

it took less than a single weekend for them to reach this decision.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Brrrmph posted:

Mormon soaking isn’t sex and this isn’t a bailout

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
All Time Highs

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/1635212948863078401

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/1635199466868449281

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The 75 point rally on futures from yesterday's bailout has already vanished.

Bank stocks are getting blown out in premarket trading.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HallelujahLee posted:

listen you dog faced pony soldier

Market is going to rally. Everything is fiiiine.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

February CPI is tomorrow lol.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Market is going to rally. Everything is fiiiine.

i can only imagine the type of loser that would believe anything a dementia addled imbecile like buchanon joe says

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HallelujahLee posted:

i can only imagine the type of loser that would believe anything a dementia addled imbecile like buchanon joe says

It's not a question of belief, its a question of excuse as the looting goes on.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the “drop” in the cpi seems totally dependent on gas prices and $100 80’ TVs

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Jim what are you doing

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine there is value in convincing the majority everything is fine as the elite few transfer all their assets into holdings that won't incinerate.

Self interest. It's a great spread on your morning toast!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
lol the morning news is leading off with "don't move your money, trust us it's safe" :thumbsup:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Jon Irenicus posted:

Jim what are you doing
Inverse Cramer's final form

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
In simple terms what does this mean

https://twitter.com/business/status/1635245736773255168

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jon Irenicus posted:

Jim what are you doing

The overnight rally began dumping pretty much the instant he tweeted this stuff. He has a true gift.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nothus posted:

lol the morning news is leading off with "don't move your money, trust us it's safe" :thumbsup:

Safer than safe. It's like super duper safe.

I say as I run out of the building with two briefcases stuffed with bills & treasuries falling out the seams, to my waiting escape helicopter on the roof.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Well, they encourage your complete cooperation
Send you roses when they think you need to smile
I can't control myself because I don't know how
And they love me for it, honestly, I'll be here for a while

So give them blood, blood, gallons of the stuff
Give them all that they can drink, and it will never be enough
So give them blood, blood, blood
Grab a glass because there's going to be a flood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU