Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Platystemon posted:

The island subterranean tunnel opening needs a lip on the stairs side.

Otherwise, I declare that that kitchen is making the best of a bad situation.

Honestly, yeah, it could be a lot worse. Everything else looks competently executed, if incredibly basic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Meaty Ore posted:

Can't wait to start chopping vegetables on that island and have the occasional piece hit somebody coming up the stairs.

Hell, just imagine how many kitchen scraps are inevitably going to find their way down there? It's going to be super gross. Especially since, while it's hard to see, I think the stairs may be carpeted.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
What’s the staircase doing in the middle of the room anyway?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

mr.belowaverage posted:

What’s the staircase doing in the middle of the room anyway?

I'd guess a renovation extended or moved the kitchen, without moving the basement stairs.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PurpleXVI posted:

Hell, just imagine how many kitchen scraps are inevitably going to find their way down there? It's going to be super gross. Especially since, while it's hard to see, I think the stairs may be carpeted.

That's why the home requires a dog.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

There used to be a keypad there.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

I'm confused, is it too deep or what

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Benagain posted:

It got me at first. I thought it was asphalt paved with red cinders, and that my sense of scale was entirely off based on how far below the guys on the sidewalk the guy on the "road" was.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 13, 2023

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Benagain posted:

They forgot to install a water feature in the large stagnant reflecting pool that gets no maintenance. So it gets covered in leaves and/or blossoms that make people mistake it for regular ground.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

kid sinister posted:

There used to be a keypad there.

It's held securely, I don't see the problem.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This picture is making me shake and I don't know if it is from confusion, anger, fear, anxiety, or just my brain shutting down.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

The stone facade embedded in a big blank stucco wall is pretty silly, but the main thing that stands out to me about that is the columns. Regardless of what they're made of (and I'm sure that an appropriately-anchored column, combined with steel beams, could be more than strong enough), they don't look big enough to support that amount of visual mass.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'd guess a renovation extended or moved the kitchen, without moving the basement stairs.

Eh, maybe. To me it looks like a basement retrofit. There were quite a few homes built with a trapdoor to access the basement from the kitchen, which is super inconvenient. Imagine having to open up your kitchen floor and climb down a staircase that's drat near a ladder every time you wanted to swap your laundry. It's a giant pain in the rear end according to my buddy that rented a house with a trapdoor basement. An annoying staircase in the middle of the kitchen would be preferable.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I have several questions. Where are the windows? Does the driveway keep going?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Guessing a separate garage in the back.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Orvin posted:

They forgot to install a water feature in the large stagnant reflecting pool that gets no maintenance. So it gets covered in leaves and/or blossoms that make people mistake it for regular ground.

It's also important to know that the bike paths in the Netherlands are that exact same color.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Benagain posted:

For a street, yes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Orvin posted:

Could be an urban cranberry bog at harvest time.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Arrath posted:

It got me at first. I thought it was aasphalt paved with red cinders, and that my semse of scale was entirely off based on how far below the guys on the sidewalk the guy on the "road" was.

Oh gently caress that's water okay now I get it

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Benagain posted:

Oh gently caress that's water okay now I get it
They're messing with you, feel free to walk on it

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

kid sinister posted:

I have several questions. Where are the windows? Does the driveway keep going?

garage in the back, the width of the drive was described as able to fit two cars

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That's ugly, but I like the idea of being able to park there and walk right in without getting wet when it's raining.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There is obviously a living space up there, just look at the chimney. So why no windows? Is the road too loud?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

binge crotching posted:

That's ugly, but I like the idea of being able to park there and walk right in without getting wet when it's raining.

That's what car holes are for.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Decorate your bathroom with Chinet!

https://v.redd.it/upn5da29ekna1

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The stone facade embedded in a big blank stucco wall is pretty silly, but the main thing that stands out to me about that is the columns. Regardless of what they're made of (and I'm sure that an appropriately-anchored column, combined with steel beams, could be more than strong enough), they don't look big enough to support that amount of visual mass.

Yeah, the 'stone' floating up in the air is very weird and unsettling and probably causing most of that feeling. Even if it's all fake, our eye still needs elements like that to at least look like they're supported continuously down to the ground.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

binge crotching posted:

The term is “porte cochère” if you want to google. They do seem super handy, and they’re definitely not all so ugly

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Anne Whateley posted:

The term is “porte cochère” if you want to google. They do seem super handy, and they’re definitely not all so ugly

Not exactly super handy if you're in earthquake country, where anything up on columns like that is known as a soft story and is most likely gonna collapse in the next quake. There's a fun crappy construction issue in the Bay Area where there are literally thousands of buildings like this (very common in apartments from the 20s-80s, to enable parking cars below the apartments). There's no ordinance statewide or even county-wide in many cases to retrofit these, and owners clearly aren't going to pay for it of their own volition. So a whole bunch of apartment buildings are just sitting ducks for the next big quake and everyone smiles and nods and ignores it. And the topper is that even if they WERE retrofitted, no one really knows if they'd actually withstand a big quake - certainly seems like a few columns spaced widely apart aren't gonna have a ton of racking strength compared to regular studs with sheathing, or concrete/rebar continuous walls.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

kid sinister posted:

Decorate your bathroom with Chinet!

https://v.redd.it/upn5da29ekna1

Wow this loving sucks, and will also be falling off the walls the first time someone showers

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A porte cochère isn’t about living space above necessarily, just a roof. I don’t think a ground-level parking garage really qualifies, I think the point is the driveway goes through it? It’s a money thing anywhere, but afaik it’s more common in areas with bad weather and snow

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That looks like an engineering puzzle. Calculate the peak load placed on the brackets when a 200-pound person climbs the stairs.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Can't say I've ever seen a load bearing banister rail before

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

SpartanIvy posted:

Can't say I've ever seen a load bearing banister rail before

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Anne Whateley posted:

A porte cochère isn’t about living space above necessarily, just a roof. I don’t think a ground-level parking garage really qualifies, I think the point is the driveway goes through it? It’s a money thing anywhere, but afaik it’s more common in areas with bad weather and snow

La di da, look at you all fancy Mr Frenchman. Around here we call that a carport.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

picturing myself slipping as I carry a box full of lightbulbs down the stairs and my rear end blasting straight through the steps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I moused over everything in this picture to see if it was clickable for hidden items.