Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Cimber posted:

Well, considering that reportedly the ammo supply was cut, I would imagine that either Putin ordered it, or jealous generals did it and Putin went along with it.

It depends on who you believe. Prigozhin(sp?) claims they were cut off entirely while the MOD put out a statement/ inventory dispensation that says they were shipping Wagner the same supply counts that every other unit was getting, it's just far less than when Wagner was getting priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

part of the reason why I develop an eye twitch every time I see black/red iconography.

Makhno had the best flags

"Death to all who stand in the way of freedom for the working people!"

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Tunicate posted:

I don't understand, why would the ambulances be leaving a hospital?

Why do you think Ukraine needs more of them?!!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I think it’s amazing that Luxembourg of all countries is supplying Ukraine with materiel.

Russia is hosed.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lum_ posted:

Makhno had the best flags

"Death to all who stand in the way of freedom for the working people!"

digging the cyrillic isis vibe

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Coasterphreak posted:

I think it’s amazing that Luxembourg of all countries is supplying Ukraine with materiel.

Russia is hosed.

Luxembourg has a total of approx. 1000 active military personnel. And they still out here trying to find any way they can to pitch in

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On the one hand congrats on not having your country captured by the MIC, on the other hand

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1634967489288232961

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Proto-gip

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Rip swiss arms industry

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Lum_ posted:

I'm partial to "A People's Tragedy" by Orlando Figes, which begins with Czar Nicholas's shambolic collapse and continues on into the civil war era.

There were FAR more than 3/4 factions:

- the Bolsheviks, under Lenin
- the "Volunteer Army", the White Army faction led first by Gen. Kornilov, then when he died Gen. Denikin took over, who eventually resigned in favor of Gen. Wrangel.
- the Siberian wing of the White Army, led by Adm. Kolchak, which fought independently and had almost no coordination with the Volunteer Army
- the left wing of the Social Revolutionaries ("Left SRs") who before the revolution were mostly allied with the Bolsheviks, then when Lenin seized sole power they revolted and were smashed by the Bolsheviks
- the right wing of the Social Revolutionaries ("Right SRs") tried a leftist "popular front" revolt called Komuch in Omsk which was eventually overthrown by Kolchak
- various nations which declared independence (Ukraine, Finland, the Caucasus, parts of Siberia) and wanted nothing to do with anyone else
- Makhno's anarchists, who fought the Whites and Ukrainians alongside the Bolsheviks just long enough for the Bolsheviks to stab them in the back when they won
- various bandit armies, mostly in Siberia, supported by Japan for maximum chaos
- the British, who landed in Archangel and tried to send supplies to various White groups (as did the French, who didn't intervene militarily)
- the Czech Legion, former prisoners of war who just wanted to go home and ended up taking the very long way through Siberia
- the Americans - yes, American troops fought in the Russian Civil War, there was a group who tried to keep the Trans Siberian Railway open and spent the war mostly extremely confused over why they were even there

I am *positive* I forgot someone. The Russian Civil War was a complete mess.

This sounds like something you could make a GoT style multi season prestige show about.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh I'm sorry did I give you the impression these weapons were for killing people oh excuse me no please let me explain

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#t:adv;d:2023-03-06..2023-03-12,2023-03-06;@38.0,48.6,14z
While looking at the location of some prescribed burns near my home, I decided to take a look at the Donbass on NASA's FIRMS website. It's pretty accurate for forest fires but is probably useless for determining where artillery hits but I thought it was interesting enough to share. Check out the bank of the Dnipro, though:
https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#t:adv;m:advanced;d:2023-02-10..2023-03-12;@32.6,46.6,13z

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Alchenar posted:

On the one hand congrats on not having your country captured by the MIC, on the other hand

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1634967489288232961

Each gun comes stamped with "For parade use only"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

MH Knights posted:

This sounds like something you could make a GoT style multi season prestige show about.

im still holdin out for one that follows the cannibalization of soviet industry and capture of various governments by the newly-minted oligarchs in the 90s

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They can do a Lord of War sequel now.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Gaius Marius posted:

Viktor Bout's schedule recently opened up

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Hannibal Rex posted:

-that guy who thought he was the reincarnation of Genghis Khan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_von_Ungern-Sternberg

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

A.o.D. posted:

part of the reason why I develop an eye twitch every time I see black/red iconography.

Depending on what subtype of black/red one is, it might have little to do with anything that happened in the infighting of the revolution. Syndicalism didn't have as much representation in that conflict, or was suborned into the other factions. Additionally, "Anarchists and Marxists are doomed to try to destroy one another forever and ever, never forget the betrayal!" is a great way for leftists never to never do anything productive. Like, okay 100 years ago (and then 90 years ago in the spanish civil war) MLs did some vile poo poo; since then capitalism has since pokevolved several times and is about to kill my near-homeless, disabled self right now. I'll take my chances with the dudes in red as long as they're not obvious fed plants (Red Guards Austin, etc).

The fact of the matter is, at least in my opinion, 20th century leftism as a whole failed and capitalism took a 30 year victory lap that is killing the planet. I don't think the specific form of leftism that can/will topple capitalism exists yet (hopefully it is in the process of forming with the new wave of unionization and zoomers and millenials being absolutely exhausted with the economy trying to murder them), but i think it will be informed by, but not a direct continuation of, any specific form of 20th century leftist factions.

At some point holding onto those old grudges has got to go, otherwise it turns into the political equivalent of boomers arguing about some Super Bowl referee call from decades ago.

Gaius Marius posted:

The stone head from zardoz but its vomiting out drones and armored vehicles as well.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 13, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Appreciate all the info about how awful collectivization was to other ethnic groups and cultures. Growing up in a city with a HUGE Ukrainian diaspora, you can imagine I was exposed to a fairly biased version of that period.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Yeah, I kind of counted him as one of the crazy warlords supported by Japan. All of them (Ungern, Semenyov, and Kalmykov) had high pretenses but in actuality were just bandits that spent most of their time heisting trains and murdering civilians. Ungern got more of a historical footnote because he tried to take over Mongolia after the Whites got thrown out of Siberia and because he was *really* *really* insane.

MH Knights posted:

"Fall of Eagles" is a BBC series that touches on some of the drama. Most notable for having a young Patrick Stewart cast as Lenin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_Eagles

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1635102116741255169?t=fMz2_0FI1jCCQZS2iugL-w&s=19

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Casimir Radon posted:

Russia and China seem like the worst places to attempt communism given their penchant for comically racist score settling.

For a good long while after the collapse of the USSR (and probably still now), the common refrain among communists was that the Russians could gently caress anything up so don't judge

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Fuckers had might as well drop the red from their flag.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

My prediction is that Ukraine is now holding Bakhmut because they want to turn that pocket into a salient and push through it, and the weakened forces there, for an arm of their offensive.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Murgos posted:

My prediction is that Ukraine is now holding Bakhmut because they want to turn that pocket into a salient and push through it, and the weakened forces there, for an arm of their offensive.

I think the fight there started as a defense, mutated into a large-scale fixing op, and then possibly mutated again from there into something else entirely? Still a fixing operation, but also a second part that boils down to a strategic aim of shutting down all Russian offensive ops? If they manage to shut down the sole Russian offensive in their entire country, that seems like a large victory beyond the military aspect (propaganda, political, and probably others too).

Not sure how well I’m getting across that point, but the idea is that they’re turning the Russian army into an invading army that can no longer perform meaningful offensive operations. I’m not trained as an analyst of any sort, but that seems pretty bad if you’re an invading army!

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lum_ posted:

Yeah, I kind of counted him as one of the crazy warlords supported by Japan. All of them (Ungern, Semenyov, and Kalmykov) had high pretenses but in actuality were just bandits that spent most of their time heisting trains and murdering civilians. Ungern got more of a historical footnote because he tried to take over Mongolia after the Whites got thrown out of Siberia and because he was *really* *really* insane.

"Fall of Eagles" is a BBC series that touches on some of the drama. Most notable for having a young Patrick Stewart cast as Lenin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_Eagles

This appears to be on YouTube btw

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Coasterphreak posted:

Russia is hosed.

Every time I hear about Luxembourgish(?) military, I get an immediate flashback to a series of sketches from the 90s Finnish comedy group Kummeli, involving a Finnish invasion of Luxembourg by, uh "special" forces: "This mouse dropping here is Luxembourg, an area approximately the size of Forssa [a small town]. Even at this moment, they're talking poo poo about us. It ends now!"

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Loezi posted:

Every time I hear about Luxembourgish(?) military, I get an immediate flashback to a series of sketches from the 90s Finnish comedy group Kummeli, involving a Finnish invasion of Luxembourg by, uh "special" forces: "This mouse dropping here is Luxembourg, an area approximately the size of Forssa [a small town]. Even at this moment, they're talking poo poo about us. It ends now!"

It has a brilliant scene of the Luxembourgians insulting Finland by, among other things, sawing a cross-country ski in half.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

I think the fight there started as a defense, mutated into a large-scale fixing op, and then possibly mutated again from there into something else entirely? Still a fixing operation, but also a second part that boils down to a strategic aim of shutting down all Russian offensive ops? If they manage to shut down the sole Russian offensive in their entire country, that seems like a large victory beyond the military aspect (propaganda, political, and probably others too).

Not sure how well I’m getting across that point, but the idea is that they’re turning the Russian army into an invading army that can no longer perform meaningful offensive operations. I’m not trained as an analyst of any sort, but that seems pretty bad if you’re an invading army!

Dien Ben Phu speed run?

In the 50s the Vietnamese trapped French forces at Dien Ben Phu and forced the French to overcommit forces to lifting the siege and crushed them.

In the late 60s the US let themselves be lured into the same trap at Dien Ben Phu and then used that bait to force the NVA to overcommit to the siege and then crushed them.

Of course, by defeating the NVA the US caused the North to go all in on guerrilla warfare and all the subsequent reporting that the war had become unwinnable.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Murgos posted:

They also continue to effectively use it as a meat grinder against Russia.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
How effective is a meat grinder when the Russians are just sending poorly trained conscripts with weapons from the 60s?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The X-man cometh posted:

How effective is a meat grinder when the Russians are just sending poorly trained conscripts with weapons from the 60s?

Given that they seem to be equipping all their fielded troops with the same....

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Luxembourg has a total of approx. 1000 active military personnel. And they still out here trying to find any way they can to pitch in
Plucky little Luxembourg also has the third largest GDP per capita in the world, which is perhaps the more significant figure here.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The X-man cometh posted:

Considering that isn't the force that Russia chose to start this war with, I'd say that it is somewhere between very effective and incredibly effective.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Herman Merman posted:

Plucky little Luxembourg also has the third largest GDP per capita in the world, which is perhaps the more significant figure here.

Huge GDP-per-capita x tiny population = Not that much money on an international scale. Good on them for trying to find something to spend it on.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1635340216931328002?t=I54KU10UK96Xei2ZfBsQow&s=19

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Computer viking posted:

Huge GDP-per-capita x tiny population = Not that much money on an international scale. Good on them for trying to find something to spend it on.

And from a quick glance, they're basically gaming the system to appear higher in the rankings - a large body of workers who don't live in the city but work there, corporate taxes are low so lots of revenue is generated elsewhere but routed through Luxembourg, limited domestic labor pool and housing supply means wages and prices are inflated.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pretty sure it's ''role'' will be in demining. :blyat:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
At least nobody is going to be stupid enough to invade Ukraine for a couple generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mine sweeping, one presumes based off of the employment of similar quipment.

E: oh motherfucker