Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Okay, I have everyone now (plus a couple Chapter 2's I did along the way). Now I have to make hard choices about who to use.

The only choice that is pretty easy is that Castii doesn't really work well with Temenos as my "main"; she doesn't really bring any important path actions that aren't covered by other people. I also probably want to keep Osvald since he seems like the best way to get items from people currently (if I don't mind blowing SP he can dish out a lot of single-target damage). Throne is also useful because she can get items during the day.

Which basically leaves the last slot, where I'm not sure between Hikari/Ochette/Partitio/Agnea. I'm sure I'll be swapping people in and out at various times regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Every character in the game owns. Can't help but use all of them :D

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The trick is that refilling 2BP, healing for 2k and healing TP for 250 for free works with anyone.

Castii is nuts.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ytlaya posted:

Okay, I have everyone now (plus a couple Chapter 2's I did along the way). Now I have to make hard choices about who to use.

The only choice that is pretty easy is that Castii doesn't really work well with Temenos as my "main"; she doesn't really bring any important path actions that aren't covered by other people. I also probably want to keep Osvald since he seems like the best way to get items from people currently (if I don't mind blowing SP he can dish out a lot of single-target damage). Throne is also useful because she can get items during the day.

Which basically leaves the last slot, where I'm not sure between Hikari/Ochette/Partitio/Agnea. I'm sure I'll be swapping people in and out at various times regardless.

You can just swap people in and out as needed for path actions, though gotta keep the level-based ones in mind. That said, between the rest, pros and cons:

Hikari: hits two weapon types at least. Very strong damage. Lackluster path actions.
Agnea: buffs magic attack, which Castti can't do. Only has daggers before you add in subjobs, but has access to a universal shield break. Can pair really well with some of Inventor's options. Great path actions and can provide great support with the right Allure since she can restore HP/SP/BP every time she dances. Also has access to wind element, which Osvald can't hit, and turn manipulation with Stimluate.
Ochette: hits two weapon types and can almost always hit a weakness with her path companion, and with her captured monsters can hit any weakness in the game. Leghold Trap is extremely handy to backload boss turns. Somewhat reliant on her monsters for high damage if her Latent isn't up. Path actions are kinda weak.
Partitio: Great QoL since you have access to +money passive and Arrow of Fortune for JP. Hits two weapon types. Extremely strong Latent. Damage can be kinda middling without spending money, but can just funnel support with Donate BP. Path actions aren't the best because they do cost money, but their passives can be good for saving money.

I'd probably lean towards Ochette or Partitio since they'd cover two weapon types you don't already have (Hikari overlaps Sword with Throne, but he's better at targeting its weak points), but anyone works.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 13, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hikari can get info on night-only NPC’s without having to fight them, that is a good path action. Maybe not early on, but for the final set of towns it’s great. Why waste time fighting a dude as Temenos when you can pay them 1000 leaves to spill the beans?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I decided to give this a try after not really liking 1 and while I'm enjoying what I see doing all the Chapter 1's back to back is nearly killing me with how slow and tedious they are.

I wanted to gather the 8 and just kinda wing it but I feel like 80% of my playtime has just been watching cutscenes with very boring fights. Did it to myself but 6 down and my eyes are starting to glaze over in all the tutorial stuff. I want the context!!

E: I spun a wheel to determine who I picked as my lead and got Ochette. Trying to figure out who to use and my desires are always "I wish I could bench Ochette". Thieves are always overpowered in SE games, feel like I want someone to be a healer so I'm not eating a billion grapes so have Temenos and I want not Cyrus for inspections on fights/elemental attacks. I got Hikari before calling it for the night and 'hmmm nope! no idea who to put instead'

Thief as a class in this game is kinda garbage until you get into lategame and have the JP to unlock the Thief Divine skill (and get Throné's story EX skill).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Entreat may be my favorite of the new path actions; why try to steal or buy people's poo poo, when you can just ask nicely for it? You might think people were more attached to their prized possessions, but you forget, Agnea is really cute.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Thief as a class in this game is kinda garbage until you get into lategame and have the JP to unlock the Thief Divine skill (and get Throné's story EX skill).

At least for me, swift strike has trivially been my highest damage skill through the early and midgame, so I'd kinda disagree.

Thief/Hunter remains incredibly strong.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

So pretty much early on I decided on everyones subjob, now this is in no way optimal and I based my decision purely on providing as much weakness cover for each character with no overlap, and everybody with a different combination and I came up with this:

Castti - apothecary/dancer
Hikari - warrior/scholar
Partitio - merchant/cleric
Agnea- dancer/hunter
Ochette - hunter/warrior
Throné - thief/merchant
Temenos - cleric/apothecary
Osvald - scholar/thief

It seems to me that the warriors damage cap break ability is the single most important support skill in the game cuz Hikari and Ochette are my boss melters. Haven't unlocked any of the extra jobs yet tho except for inventor, and haven't unlocked a lot of its skills either, so dunno what any of that is like

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd personally swap Hikari and Agnea but otherwise that's fine. Hikari would do garbo damage with spells so he would only really be able to use Analyze. Conversely Agnea is not only better with E.Atk, but her Latent works with Elemental Barrage so she can just melt enemy groups with that.

fridge corn posted:

It seems to me that the warriors damage cap break ability is the single most important support skill in the game cuz Hikari and Ochette are my boss melters. Haven't unlocked any of the extra jobs yet tho except for inventor, and haven't unlocked a lot of its skills either, so dunno what any of that is like

It's good but you don't have to worry about that for most of the game; only Hikari or Castti would be breaking the cap early on since Ochette's monsters can't break cap (same goes for Hired Help from Merchant).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Folt The Bolt posted:

What does disguise even do? I haven’t tried it yet.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Entreat may be my favorite of the new path actions; why try to steal or buy people's poo poo, when you can just ask nicely for it? You might think people were more attached to their prized possessions, but you forget, Agnea is really cute.

Yeah it’s nice, I barely have to mug anyone any more.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd personally swap Hikari and Agnea but otherwise that's fine. Hikari would do garbo damage with spells so he would only really be able to use Analyze. Conversely Agnea is not only better with E.Atk, but her Latent works with Elemental Barrage so she can just melt enemy groups with that.

Hikari has a Learned Skill called Deep Analysis that shows multiple enemy weak points, so there really is no reason to ever put him in Scholar.

Just like in the first game, the Dancer naturally has incredibly high Elemental Attack so putting her in a magic job just makes sense. I didn’t know her Latent Power worked with Elemental Barrage, that’s great. I hadn’t really paid attention to it until now, wtf was I thinking?

I beat the Conjurer boss and it was a huge pain in the rear end. Someone mentioned using Agnea as a cleric to use her latent power with the defense buff and wow, I can’t believe I never thought of that before. Didn’t make the battle a breeze but made it doable. The boss was really annoying and an HP sponge but I eventually came out on top.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What does disguise even do? I haven’t tried it yet.

Turns Throne into an exact copy of one of your other party members. She doesn't get their unique actions (Learned Skills, Concoct) but otherwise she becomes a 2nd whoever.

Also worth it for the incredible voice line she has.

Tadaaa...

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The way I kinda visualise the characters is:

Castti/Partitio - Battery
Throne/Ochette - Debuff
Temenos/Oswald - Healing/AoE
Agnea/Hikari - Damage

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Just like in the first game, the Dancer naturally has incredibly high Elemental Attack so putting her in a magic job just makes sense. I didn’t know her Latent Power worked with Elemental Barrage, that’s great. I hadn’t really paid attention to it until now, wtf was I thinking?

I beat the Conjurer boss and it was a huge pain in the rear end. Someone mentioned using Agnea as a cleric to use her latent power with the defense buff and wow, I can’t believe I never thought of that before. Didn’t make the battle a breeze but made it doable. The boss was really annoying and an HP sponge but I eventually came out on top.

Agnea's Latent isn't very intuitive because you mostly think to use it for buffing but it's got some secretly good applications. You can use it to do silly stuff like Analyze all your enemies at once or use it with things like Warrior's 3-hit sword skill that now hits the entire enemy party 3 times instead.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Natural 20 posted:

The way I kinda visualise the characters is:

Castti/Partitio - Battery
Throne/Ochette - Debuff
Temenos/Oswald - Healing/AoE
Agnea/Hikari - Damage

Ochette’s EX skill buffs her own speed, evasion and attack for 3(!) turns and she has an ability that buffs your entire team’s accuracy and critical for two turns. Her special axe attack gives her a random buff based on the enemy type. Some monsters she can use with provoke can debuff but some can also buff your party. Many do multiple types of damage to hit multiple weak points. She’s really good at hitting a wide variety of weak points then making GBS threads out massive amounts of damage to broken enemies. So I wouldn’t say she is particularly good at debuffs.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Ochette’s EX skill buffs her own speed, evasion and attack for 3(!) turns and she has an ability that buffs your entire team’s accuracy and critical for two turns. Her special axe attack gives her a random buff based on the enemy type. Some monsters she can use with provoke can debuff but some can also buff your party. Many do multiple types of damage to hit multiple weak points. She’s really good at hitting a wide variety of weak points then making GBS threads out massive amounts of damage to broken enemies. So I wouldn’t say she is particularly good at debuffs.

She has leghold trap as baseline.

That's all she needs really for me to give her that definition.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
To be honest I only use Hunter for Leghold Trap and Precise Shot. Maybe the acc+crit buff if there's nothing better to do.

It might only be a small component of her kit but it's one of the most important ones.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Natural 20 posted:

She has leghold trap as baseline.

That's all she needs really for me to give her that definition.

I’ve literally never used leghold trap once in the 72 hours I’ve played this game lmao

Edit: I’ve used Agnea’s EX skill a lot which causes all of your characters to act first next turn, which is better in that sense and also deals wind damage to all enemies.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve literally never used leghold trap once in the 72 hours I’ve played this game lmao

I'd argue it as probably the single strongest skill across both Octopath games, since essentially it means a boss gets its return from break turns and then you get a minimum of 8 actions before it gets to act again. (And it's fire and forget since you can set it for 9 turns)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Natural 20 posted:

I'd argue it as probably the single strongest skill across both Octopath games, since essentially it means a boss gets its return from break turns and then you get a minimum of 8 actions before it gets to act again. (And it's fire and forget since you can set it for 9 turns)

I think if you force Partitio up to 1st postion via something like Stimulate or the Inventor skill, you can then pay the boss to ignore its turn after it recovers from break, too.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's good but you don't have to worry about that for most of the game; only Hikari or Castti would be breaking the cap early on since Ochette's monsters can't break cap (same goes for Hired Help from Merchant).

Only problem with swapping Hikari and Agnea is that I'd have two Warrior/Hunters with Hikari and Ochette which was a no-go haha. Agnea Scholar sounds really intruiging tho!! Might do a bit of a shuffle round and see what I can come up with

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think if you force Partitio up to 1st postion via something like Stimulate or the Inventor skill, you can then pay the boss to ignore its turn after it recovers from break, too.

AFAIK absolutely nothing allows you to go before a return from break turn. I've tried with Agnea's priority boost and with the priority boost from warrior.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

fridge corn posted:

Only problem with swapping Hikari and Agnea is that I'd have two Warrior/Hunters with Hikari and Ochette which was a no-go haha. Agnea Scholar sounds really intruiging tho!! Might do a bit of a shuffle round and see what I can come up with

If you aren’t using Hikari and Ochette at the same time, those are good combos. Hikari makes a really good Armsmaster later, also.

Edit:

Natural 20 posted:

Agnea’s move does the same thing plus damage, the downside is the SP cost I guess? Also you get it later but not so much later that it’s really that impactful. Also some bosses can become immune to debuffs which makes it unusable.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

fridge corn posted:

While you can and will shuffle subjobs around a lot, this was my general idea when I was doing main story:

Partitio: Hunter or Dancer
Agnea: Scholar
Temenos: Scholar or Apothecary
Throne: Warrior
Hikari: Hunter or Merchant
Osvald: Dancer or Cleric
Castti: Cleric or Thief
Ochette: Thief or Inventor

Give yourself some flex slots, and some characters really don't care about their subjob at all outside of stats, so you can give them whatever or just some utility. I don't think there's strictly any wrong combinations at the end of a day, you could make Osvald a Warrior if you really want to or just the looks of Agnea as a Merchant because she wears a tiny hat tilted sidewaays.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, but then you're not putting Armsmaster on Agnea, whose latent power is just stupid good for that class.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you aren’t using Hikari and Ochette at the same time, those are good combos. Hikari makes a really good Armsmaster later, also.

Edit:

Agnea’s move does the same thing plus damage, the downside is the SP cost I guess? Also you get it later but not so much later that it’s really that impactful. Also some bosses can become immune to debuffs which makes it unusable.

The downside with Agnea is you have to do that move after each break. The action economy is much worse than spending a single action to drop leghold and then forgetting it for at least three break phases.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Natural 20 posted:

The downside with Agnea is you have to do that move after each break. The action economy is much worse than spending a single action to drop leghold and then forgetting it for at least three break phases.

Yes, using a fully boosted leghold trap would be better than Agnea’s ability. I was mostly responding to the scenario that the other person mentioned, using it right out of a break to get eight moves in a row.

I also haven’t been doing enough to make a character a designated BP battery so I should probably reconsider my strategies. Need more pomegranate seeds or whatever lol

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, but then you're not putting Armsmaster on Agnea, whose latent power is just stupid good for that class.

Putting that on Hikari and using Lionheart Axe' special with Dancer's Divine will shred, too. Ended up being the last piece I needed for the superboss because Limb by Limb wasn't doing nearly enough.

Deep Analysis also helps with Lionheart too, extra damage for each revealed weakness.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Where do you get the deep analysis learned skill? Never even seen it

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's good against groups, yeah but I'd argue Temenos is better suited for bosses since Sixfold Strike paired with his latent is "say goodbye to six shield points" with no boosting required.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

fridge corn posted:

Where do you get the deep analysis learned skill? Never even seen it

The Scholar outside the Cathedral, he’s in the lower left part.

I need to grab a couple more good abilities for Hikari, too.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Levantine posted:

It's good against groups, yeah but I'd argue Temenos is better suited for bosses since Sixfold Strike paired with his latent is "say goodbye to six shield points" with no boosting required.

Aggressive Slash/Warrior could be nice too, a more hit-consistent elemental barrage.

I really wanna see peoples' runs of the superboss, I enjoy the strategies people come up with in this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Ochette can do 6 shield points with her story ex without needing any LP

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I've found that Hikari isn't actually the best person for Armsmaster. He can generally get better, more cost-efficient skills through his personal skill. I actually ended up putting Hikari into Cleric, solely for the Staff access.

Late game in a side dungeon you can find a staff that has a large ATK stat and no E.Atk. More importantly it has a passive that increases all physical damage dealt by the character just for having it equipped. It's part of what let's Hikari rip and tear so hard by late game.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah I have Hikari set up as armsmaster for now just because they're the best weapons I have, but I know there's better things to get eventually so I may turn him to something else and give that class to Partitio or Throne or something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Am I supposed to know what just happened here? Around Clockdale, while not doing anyone's chapter, it was night and I was unable to change it to day, and I fought some spooky monster that wasn't super hard, and then it was day

???

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

precision posted:

Am I supposed to know what just happened here? Around Clockdale, while not doing anyone's chapter, it was night and I was unable to change it to day, and I fought some spooky monster that wasn't super hard, and then it was day

???

Nope, you can just be confused about it! The game has some weird mysteries in it, enjoy.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

precision posted:

???

Happened to me a few times too, it's just a random occurrence and I don't think there's anything else to it.

Wouldn't surprise me if some super rare weapon drops at like a .00002% rate and we don't find out about it until 12 years from now or something.

Could also just be nothing.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I like to think it's most likely just signs of (Endgame Spoilers) Vide's Eternal Night approaching, given it's the same sort of creepy atmosphere and monsters as what you deal with in the endgame story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/hanpaopaoo/status/1634501463568433152?s=61&t=-vp9P7i8Kl2W3uKiLPEWrA