Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Clarste posted:

I am a weirdo who wants to play an Acolyte without summoning even a single minion, so I went Lich and just explode into the middle of enemy packs with Transplant and melt them in two seconds with Aura of Decay and Life Drain (which doesn't drain life), in the process giving them all two curses and three different dots. Also I don't spend any mana, ever.

how are you building aura of decay? i looked around and i saw a lot of necrotic damage synergy in the skills you mentioned but aura of decay is poison - curious how you're making them work together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Cesaro posted:

I'm glad people are enjoying the game and the developers found some additional success, but after 20 hours and getting to level 75 I'm a little dumbfounded at the heaps of praise this seems to be getting. I will say upfront that I went in blind and mistakenly expected something more akin to Path of Exile than Grim Dawn, and I got what I would consider to be a relatively bad Grim Dawn clone. It's just jank all the way down.

I dont think LE is a bad game but I think it's in a honeymoon phase.

It's new and shiny and players haven't burned themselves out by playing it for years yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Jinnigan posted:

how are you building aura of decay? i looked around and i saw a lot of necrotic damage synergy in the skills you mentioned but aura of decay is poison - curious how you're making them work together?

Life Drain can become Poison through its skill tree, as well as Reaper. Transplant is either physical or Necrotic, but I don't really care about its damage so much as its utility, which is that it can teleport and apply curses so I don't need to ever press that button.

In terms of stat building, Poison is nice since my main two damage sources are poison (and they get -150% Poison Resist from Poison stacks), but I generally prefer Damage Over Time as my main stat. Since in addition to poison I do Bleed and Damned and Life Drain has the Damage Over Time tag anyway despite being a channeled spell.

I can't say I'm an expert though, I just threw this together while leveling.

Edit: Most of my points in Aura of Decay itself are dedicated to not murdering myself, to be honest. IE: the stuff that gives you more poison resistance and healing, while avoiding anything that stacks it on yourself even faster. I suppose theoretically you could only turn it on in the middle of battle where your life leech will keep you alive, but that sounds like a pain so I try to have enough health regen and ward to stay alive between packs. Also if I turn it off I instantly die because I lose all the anti-poison defenses from the aura while keeping the poison stacks I already have.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 13, 2023

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Deki posted:

I dont think LE is a bad game but I think it's in a honeymoon phase.

It's new and shiny and players haven't burned themselves out by playing it for years yet.

If they can get the major bugs stamped out and can trickle content updates on regular intervals I think it'll do well. My concerns are the fact that the game is 4 years old now and still in BETA without the full story released. Seems like a huge amount of content to push.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Clarste posted:

Also if I turn it off I instantly die because I lose all the anti-poison defenses from the aura while keeping the poison stacks I already have.

that is loving hilarious

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

m.hache posted:

If they can get the major bugs stamped out and can trickle content updates on regular intervals I think it'll do well. My concerns are the fact that the game is 4 years old now and still in BETA without the full story released. Seems like a huge amount of content to push.

Eh, I mean it’s been making very steady updates and such. I think its hard to compare right now because its competing with games that have been released for years, so the content might feel a bit thin in comparison, but its there and it doesn’t waste nearly as much of my time as PoE does getting to the meat and potatoes of the game. Plus there’s lots of fun build options, even within specs and it feels like most of them can be made to do 99% of what’s out there.

I would assume as content updates roll out and more stuff gets added and iterated on it’ll become even more fun. PoE at this point is a bloated near-unapproachable mess. I have absolutely no clue how to even start taking a look at crafting and SSF is rough past a pretty early point, at which trading becomes the game and ehhhhhhhh

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Cesaro posted:

I'm glad people are enjoying the game and the developers found some additional success, but after 20 hours and getting to level 75 I'm a little dumbfounded at the heaps of praise this seems to be getting. I will say upfront that I went in blind and mistakenly expected something more akin to Path of Exile than Grim Dawn, and I got what I would consider to be a relatively bad Grim Dawn clone. It's just jank all the way down.

The campaign writing and story were laughably bad, though admittedly this genre isn't exactly known for this. The mid/end game (early monoliths/maps at least) feels monotonous and actually way more grind heavy and slower than I expected at level 75. The deterministic crafting is interesting but a little shallow from what I've seen. Again, I'm glad people are enjoying it because I love the genre, but I think this one is not for me.

IMO PoE and GD in their current state are better games. But this game is refreshing, fun, chill and I'm enjoying it. I'm only level 66 though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Refreshing, fun, and chill seem like good descriptors. I'm not sure how much longevity it has since, like, your builds come together pretty early and most of the time is spent marginally improving them, but it's been very fun for the first 20 hours or whatever.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I'm starting to worry that I won't be able to play this game for the rest of my life

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Rufio posted:

I'm starting to worry that I won't be able to play this game for the rest of my life

Having a bigger pool of later/late game uniques that change the way skills/classes/specs play fundamentally is probably something on the horizon, or at least I hope so.

Builds coming online early is absolutely not something I’m mad about. I hate builds that are basically like ‘ok, so the first 60 levels you’re gonna auto attack with a broom, but then you get X skill and now it’s great’

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Coming from PoE, I'm just glad to have a game that I can reasonably play without a guide and feel like I'm learning things as I go. PoE has become so bloated with features and league mechanics that I stand next to no chance of making a functional build and understanding the itemization of the game enough to gear it. Last Epoch isn't a better game, but I really appreciate having something simpler that doesn't make me feel like a total moron.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
This game has the complete opposite UX design philosophy when compared to poe and i love it.

Know what something actually does with words and numbers in-game?! Who woulda thunk!

But yeah, most of the player power coming from the skill tree makes itemization pretty bland.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Rufio posted:

The absolute horror that I might not get another 150 hours out of a $30 game :argh:

(I actually will, I still haven't played a few of the Subclasses + the 3 that haven't released yet)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

I wish the game had DLSS. The game muders my 3080 at 4K, I don't need 8 million pixels drawn 120 times a second in an ARPG.. less would do :v: I mean the GPU produces a whopping 350W of waste heat while rendering a meh looking game. I wish their tech stack wasn't ancient as poo poo so they could implement DLSS easier without years of grueling refactoring.

Yeah I just don’t know why it’s so resource heavy despite not looking all that fancy, especially at lower graphics settings. I can only hope they have another huge optimization pass they’ll do before 1.0.

At least it’s pretty smooth and playable at 50 FPS and doesn’t seem to dip much below that on my main ARPG machine.

Also I’m totally mad that the damage screen doesn’t show you how much elemental damage your equipment/skills grant you like in PoE. It shows you what the % boost is, but not whether you’re doing elemental damage in the first place.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 13, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Werebear form really turns into a stone cold killer once you're getting Maelstrom stacks on just about everything you do combined with the rage buffs from stacking debuffs on enemies. It's like a minigun with the swipes speeding up as you attack until you're eventually just slashing like crazy with 15 stacks of maelstrom ticking away. You feel a bit like the Hulk dashing in, ground pound to take out most enemies around you and pull everything in, then warcry to push them all back out, do more damage, stack more debuffs, while you swipe away at whatever is left at that point (probably not much). I usually follow guides for how to build my class and it's always fun when it's not really coming together but you get the one key upgrade where everything falls into place and that's pretty much exactly what happened with this.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Noper Q posted:

I've been hunting for Apathy's Maw, which lastepochtools.com says should drop from the Shade of Orobyss with at least 50 corruption. Empowered timelines start at 100 corruption, so it should always have a chance to drop in those, right? I've fought it several times now, but I'm only seeing the ring that always drops. Is there something else to it?

Just dropped mine at corruption 135. Probably killed the shade 20+ times with over 100 corruption before it dropped.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

Just dropped mine at corruption 135. Probably killed the shade 20+ times with over 100 corruption before it dropped.

OK, so it's just rare. Thanks.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rufio posted:

The sarcasm here and the idea that a lot of people enjoying this absolutely do not want anything to do with PoE is a good frame of reference for understanding why people are having fun.

I literally do not give the first gently caress if this game fails to be a forever treadmill. I just want it to be fun while it lasts.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah back before learning how trash Blizz was and refusing to play their games on principle, D3 was an excellent go to game to scratch my ARPG itch. I could be online and running at max level doing ridiculous poo poo with a day or two and then after a week or two or pushing things I could either put it down or try another class and repeat that.

I don’t -want- to have to spend a ton of time doing tedious poo poo to play the meat and potatoes of the game. I don’t want to have to trawl trade chat for gear that will allow me to not be instagibbed. I just wanna play a dude that summons dudes that sometimes blow up my other dudes to kill dudes. And I’d like to be doing that quickly out of the gate.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Jinnigan posted:

I'm doing something similar but I'm only level 62 so I don't know if it scales well end game.

Aura of Decay is AoE, poison resistance, reduced poison damage, reduced enemy poison resistance, and poison bolt. Poison Bolt is a "hit" so it can apply statuses from gear and talents.

Transfusion autocasts Bone Curse, detonates on arrival, and casts Rip Blood.

Bone Curse applies Mark for Death, falls off after 1 hit, and casts Rip Blood when it falls off. Note: the detonation on arrival triggers Bone Curse and immediately procs Rip Blood.

Rip Blood has 100% splatter, applies poison with splatter, and chains when it kills targets. Vs trash mobs it'll often chain a lot. Vs elites and rares the overlapping splatter applies a lot of extra poison.

Harvest gives extra ward and applies bleeds and poison. I found it better than Drain Life, personally. Mark for Death from Bone Curse doubles its damage so it is fine that Bone Curse drops off immediately.

Most things instantly die when I teleport into them. Elites and rares melt really fast.

Edit: I'm using the Plague Bearer's Staff, so on-hit effects are probably a bit more valuable for my build than they'd otherwise be.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 13, 2023

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone give me a good elevator pitch for this game? My friends and I are going through Diablo 2 Resurrected and have awakened an ARPG craving. They're leaning towards Diablo IV but I'm trying to find alternatives (mostly because I've read about the development history of it and I don't think it'll be that good at launch) and I've had my eye on this one for a while. How's the end-game? How's the gear? Are legendaries really legendary or does the game rely on +% gear that only provides small benefits? Sell me on the game so I can sell my friends on it!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone give me a good elevator pitch for this game? My friends and I are going through Diablo 2 Resurrected and have awakened an ARPG craving. They're leaning towards Diablo IV but I'm trying to find alternatives (mostly because I've read about the development history of it and I don't think it'll be that good at launch) and I've had my eye on this one for a while. How's the end-game? How's the gear? Are legendaries really legendary or does the game rely on +% gear that only provides small benefits? Sell me on the game so I can sell my friends on it!

Have you all only played D2? Because it's hard to pitch anything in the genre if you've only played 1 game.

For me D3 is just way too casual, you hit level cap in no time and are decently well geared in virtually no more amount of time, then it's just mindlessly running the same Rifts hoping for better rolls of your favorite Legendaries and Set items.

PoE is too complex, even playing on and off for a decade I still always have to follow guides and never know what I should be doing at end game other than spamming maps.

LE for me strikes the perfect blend between the two, with a good amount of build diversity and an extremely friendly crafting system.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
PoE is the king if arpgs right now for most dedicated players of the genre. LE feels nice because it directly addresses most people’s complaints with PoE. Beyond that, PoE just has tons of content, a consistently good dev team, tons of first and third party resources, etc that no other arpg can touch right now.

I argue that PoE is worth learning, but be aware that it doesnt have a learning curve… it has a learning cliff. Once you stand atop this cliff, you feel like you really accomplished something! Some people have the patience and/or dopamine addiction for it, some dont.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Noper Q posted:

I've been hunting for Apathy's Maw, which lastepochtools.com says should drop from the Shade of Orobyss with at least 50 corruption. Empowered timelines start at 100 corruption, so it should always have a chance to drop in those, right? I've fought it several times now, but I'm only seeing the ring that always drops. Is there something else to it?

You want to fight him further away from the monolith starting point so you can stack up more item rarity modifiers, which effect boss drops.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
What builds are decent without uniques?

I have a beastmaster that feels limp and pathetic even after getting the +1 doggo and a forge knight spin to winner who I'm kinda luke warm on

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

We've played Diablo 3 and I've played more games like Grim Dawn, Titan Quest and PoE. I think we all tried PoE but they couldn't get into it because of the learning cliff. I liked it well enough but I just found it kind of tiring with just how much stuff there was to learn and it felt like a guide was mandatory for any kind of character build because the skill tree was the size of a continent.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Jimbot posted:

We've played Diablo 3 and I've played more games like Grim Dawn, Titan Quest and PoE. I think we all tried PoE but they couldn't get into it because of the learning cliff. I liked it well enough but I just found it kind of tiring with just how much stuff there was to learn and it felt like a guide was mandatory for any kind of character build because the skill tree was the size of a continent.

Sounds like you’d really enjoy this then.

It feels like a game for folks that grew up on D2, love ARPGs, but looked at PoE and say ‘yeah I don’t have time for this poo poo.’

Most things will work if you put some thought into it and unless you’re pushing the bleeding edge of ‘number go higher’ at the end game it’s plenty of fun and is pretty conducive to find a cool unique and going ‘wait I want to play a BEES! Druid.’

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Deki posted:

What builds are decent without uniques?

I have a beastmaster that feels limp and pathetic even after getting the +1 doggo and a forge knight spin to winner who I'm kinda luke warm on

What's your Forge Knight build? That was my starter for Multiplayer and it felt quite competent with minimal gear "maximizing", although at level 75 I got bored and started an Alt.

I was following this guide, only have the Chest piece for that Set though.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

As someone who's been playing this for awhile now, the longevity's been getting somewhat better over time, between T6 affixes (the purple gear you might have seen), Legendary Potential (which lets you slam extra poo poo onto your uniques), putting more power onto gear, and introducing dungeons. I imagine it'll catch up to Path of Exile eventually, which also took many years to have as robust of a endgame system as it does today.

The game still has some pretty good legs right now though imo if you enjoy the basic gameplay loop of ARPGs, since you can do a shitton of different builds and they're all viable. If you feel like you're done with one build, you can move onto the next, or simply take a break from the game until the next major content drop or league (cycles as they're gonna call em). and if you're the sort who likes to take a build to the very bleeding edge, you've got blessings, legendary potential and T6 bases to chase (and the dungeons will happily hoover up all your gold in your pursuit of them).

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

As someone on the edge of pulling the trigger, how different do the builds/classes feel? The reason I put up with PoE's complexity is, to just use examples of popular builds from the last season, using Summon Raging Skulls feel different from using Explosive Arrow Totems feels different from using Seismic Traps feels different from using Spark. Even one-button builds manage to have different playstyles in terms of some make you stand your ground, some offer incredible mobility, some have you aim at the space before the mobs, some really want you to be in a tight corridor, etc. And then you have absolutely buckwild piano builds for when you're in the mood, like slams.

Does Last Epoch manage something like this, or is it just choosing the color of your screenwide explosion? I rarely optimize builds but I love having lots of weird builds to experiment with.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

What should I be spending gold on? I have like 140k and the gambler gear level seems to cap out at 40 anyway. I’m level 68ish

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Saxophone posted:

What should I be spending gold on? I have like 140k and the gambler gear level seems to cap out at 40 anyway. I’m level 68ish

Stash tabs is always my answer. Must pick up stuff!

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Saxophone posted:

Lightless Arbor end reward felt like it can eat a ton of gold and it felt like the reward chest can be improved a lot by spending gold. Based just on one time there at tier 2 dungeon, though - still got a big bunch of exalteds, uniques and set items.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Big Mad Drongo posted:

As someone on the edge of pulling the trigger, how different do the builds/classes feel? The reason I put up with PoE's complexity is, to just use examples of popular builds from the last season, using Summon Raging Skulls feel different from using Explosive Arrow Totems feels different from using Seismic Traps feels different from using Spark. Even one-button builds manage to have different playstyles in terms of some make you stand your ground, some offer incredible mobility, some have you aim at the space before the mobs, some really want you to be in a tight corridor, etc. And then you have absolutely buckwild piano builds for when you're in the mood, like slams.

Does Last Epoch manage something like this, or is it just choosing the color of your screenwide explosion? I rarely optimize builds but I love having lots of weird builds to experiment with.

It feels a lot like what you get with PoE, just with a lot fewer skills to work with. The game also somewhat replicate's PoE's skill modifiers with trees for each skill, so you can have your bone dagger projectile thing act like a DoT-triggering shotgun blast if you develop it one way or have it damage your minions and then get bonuses triggered off of minion deaths if you develop it the other way.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

poe owns bones and i love all the different systems since i've been playing for so long but i'm just so... so tired of running chapters 1-10 and chris wilson seems to think that that is the best part of the game and it should be even slower and harder to get through, so LE has been a great change of pace after not playing the last two poe leagues

as for build diversity, i think you can see how they pull from a few different poe/d2 builds and baked them into the classes. It's varied enough that there are a few things i want to try, and there's also end game build enabling uniques, but your never gonna get the crazy edge cases like in poe with jousis builds or worm blaster or whatever, so there probably will be meta "this is the best build this class can make" builds but right now it's pretty easy to gear up whatever you want from aoe vortexs, necro army pet builds, various flavors of melee like spin2win and earthquake, etc

boxcarhobo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 13, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

It's sort of middle of the road: classes don't have the same incredible freedom that you get in PoE but there's usually a lot of interesting ways to customize your skills

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
I understand PoE players wanting this to be more like that, since it's been out for 10 years now and it's feeling super bloated, but I really appreciate how much simpler this game is. It makes it way, way easier to bring friends in, and at 34 years old, I simply don't have another 3500 hours to put into an ARPG, to kind-of understand the ever-evolving Rube Goldberg of systems required to make a usable character. I honestly love the complexity, even still, and it was extremely satisfying spending weeks planning and creating my own builds, but life developments make this style of gaming impossible for me now. Just getting old I guess!

Path of Exile is also not very friendly to playing on handheld since you need a few browser tabs and a third party program (Path of Building) to play it effectively. What I want is more like the D3 on Switch experience, where I can pick it up and play for 10-20 mins, make a little progress, and go do something else.

I'm also really optimistic for the future of this game. I've been playing since near the beginning of early access, put about 400 hours in since then, and the game has come an enormously long way. The devs are really proactive about taking in community feedback and it shows - as mentioned, the end game systems have gotten a lot better since the early days. I'm a lot less worried about the bugs and performance issues since 1) a bunch of these are new bugs related to multiplayer, in a genre of game that's notoriously difficult from a networking standpoint, 2) it's a small indie studio (currently ~60 employees according to LinkedIn but started as a 2 or 3 person effort IIRC) and 3) it's a beta. I'm certain they're going to fix this stuff and make performance improvements along the way, which they've been doing all throughout early access.

I think we all come out winners if the ARPG genre has three solid options. Diablo for a more braindead/finely polished ARPG, Last Epoch as a middle ground, and Path of Exile for the hardcore spreadsheet nerds. I wish we got new options more often but it's simply difficult to make a good ARPG!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

wemgo posted:

PoE is the king if arpgs right now for most dedicated players of the genre. LE feels nice because it directly addresses most people’s complaints with PoE. Beyond that, PoE just has tons of content, a consistently good dev team, tons of first and third party resources, etc that no other arpg can touch right now.

I argue that PoE is worth learning, but be aware that it doesnt have a learning curve… it has a learning cliff. Once you stand atop this cliff, you feel like you really accomplished something! Some people have the patience and/or dopamine addiction for it, some dont.

I already know how to use Microsoft Excel thanks, I’m good

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Sab669 posted:

What's your Forge Knight build? That was my starter for Multiplayer and it felt quite competent with minimal gear "maximizing", although at level 75 I got bored and started an Alt.

I was following this guide, only have the Chest piece for that Set though.

I'm using the same one but I don't have the manifest armor yet.

Just seems like the weapons are kind of plinking damage despite revamping my levelling gear to boost them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

So I've been playing a Flame Wraith necro with an Aberrant Call which gives +3 to Wraith. But it turns out there's a UI bug and the bonus skills from the +3 weren't showing up as unspent points so I didn't realize I hadn't used them. Now my wraiths that have like a 50% crit chance just picked up a bonus +90% crit multi which should feel pretty good.