Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

The first game is the series is literally the first action RPG ever made and one of the earliest RPGs ever, predating DQ by 2 years and FF by 3.

So shut the gently caress up

Salty Game: Angry Post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ys games are epic, Trails games would be epic if an editor cut down each one by like a third, but the PSP era Ys games in particular really are some of the best platform action games ever made

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sakurazuka posted:

The first game is the series is literally the first action RPG ever made and one of the earliest RPGs ever, predating DQ by 2 years and FF by 3.

Oh, so they're the ones responsible

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
please reserve this energy for Aggro April

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

So they had a 3 year head start and have been making games all this time but still can't produce anything that would make it to a top recommended list of RPGs

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Khanstant posted:

So they had a 3 year head start and have been making games all this time but still can't produce anything that would make it to a top recommended list of RPGs

Da gently caress? Do not troll in this thread.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sick of all these gotcha games

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Jay Rust posted:

most generic title?

I always thought Final Fantasy was a dumb name.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
They called it Biohazard 3: Last Escape, but then in Biohazard 4 they escape again???

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Relax Or DIE posted:

please reserve this energy for Aggro April

We always forget Aggro April.:(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

We always forget Aggro April.:(

gently caress you

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Miffed March

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's March madness but the other kind of mad

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

No Dignity posted:

Ys games are epic, Trails games would be epic if an editor cut down each one by like a third, but the PSP era Ys games in particular really are some of the best platform action games ever made

ys origin is utterly goated

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jay Rust posted:

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Jay Rust posted:

March Mad Because Badness

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

april starts with the worst day of the year so it makes sense to be aggro

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And that energy leads perfectly into Meltdown May

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hope we can have a Jubilant June

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

This game was good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

remember reading stuff like this in game magazines 15 years ago when the psp got a bunch of english falcom games. impressively out of touch

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hatty posted:

Hope we can have a Jubilant June

But then Angry August and Sad September are right around the corner.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

post with love in your heart year round. video games ftw

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
It's Augury August

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

it's august august

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They call March women's history month and yet Mars is male. Hmm. Curious

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not looking forward to Outrage October

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Apo Sunbird April?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

marth madness

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Marth used to be good he wasn't even invited to the Big Dance this year, hopefully he can make a run in the NIT at least.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

ape escapril

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

I never played samus returns, but I definitely felt after returning to 2 recently that its limited visuals and window of view can lead to getting lost easily. there's MASSIVE swathes of the map that are just dead ends or lead to unnecessary powerups.

I LOVE 2, but it is not without its flaws. I have not played AM2R but I hear that's quite good, does it keep the basic feel of 2 but streamline it? that's all I wanted from a metroid 2 remake, when I saw them going hog wild with whatever they were doing with samus returns I tuned out pretty quickly and never picked it up, and heard middling reviews for it after the fact.

I actually thought the world was really cleverly designed to avoid the player getting lost despite the tiny screen and lack of a map. the world is divided neatly into chunks, each one of which you visit in order then never return to--and the path between them is linear so you can't get lost between them. Each area is constructed as a single very large cavern surrounding chozo ruins, with metroid nests in the tunnels coming off the cavern. You go into the ruins for powerups, and go out into the tunnels for metroids (though it does spice things up a bit by putting surprise metroids into the ruins on occasion; it is a spooky game after all). You can pretty cleanly hold the layout of each area in your mind without a map because of this structure. You don't have to remember every detail of every corridor--you just have to remember which ones you've entered, because they don't loop into each other. You can find all of the tunnels by looking around the edges of the cavern, and by crawling over the ruins.

AM2R does its best with 2's feel, but there's only so much you can do when you try to turn 2 into zero mission when they're just fundamentally different games. They kept a lot of the individual scary moments, and even added a few new ones, but the oppressive tension of the original is lost.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kerrzhe posted:

marth madness

It's what takes over someone when they're asked to explain Marth

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

it's weird looking at the metroid 2 remakes because when i played the original as a kid my mind filled in the low-res monochrome world as being all bizarre and weird colors, and in the remakes it's just like grass and rocks and stuff.

AM2R making the deadly liquid just lava instead of weird-colored acid like i imagined means it's "fail", I think Samus Returns did make it acid?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the ides of marth

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I'm sorry I love dad jokes and sharing is caring

https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status/1635340233423360001?t=d715-MAK9_RJe19bXsPulg&s=19

E:

haha what posted:

ape escapril

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 13, 2023

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

haha what posted:

ape escapril

This is really good

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
The only thing I want from the RE4 remake is for Capcom to leave "hey it's that dog" completely unchanged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I guess they could leave that line in, it's just in a different context if the demo is any indication