Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If the single player campaign is crap, I am not surprised. Multiplayer is what sells games these days.

What's up with only being able to find unranked games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

If the single player campaign is crap, I am not surprised. Multiplayer is what sells games these days.
This is extremely false for RTS games. Most people who buy an RTS never even play multiplayer.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I played like 2 missions on SP and its not my cup of tea. I always had this game in mind for MP. But the campaign was reasonably well reviewed? Aside from the bad voice acting from the narrators and having a loving corporal do strategy briefings, it seemed to check off most of the boxes?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The campaign is p half-baked so I'm waiting on their first big patch for it, if only so I can finally get those mission rewards actually working.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

toasterwarrior posted:

The campaign is p half-baked so I'm waiting on their first big patch for it, if only so I can finally get those mission rewards actually working.

Yeah it's glitched to hell. I had:
- An airborne unit spawn in the ocean (so I couldn't do anything with it but it still took up popcap)
-An Indian Artillery company got trapped and couldn't move when a bombardment from Anzio Annie took out the bridge it was on top of
-A campaign reward for increased popcap didn't increase my popcap
-Secondary objectives came into and out of existence and had unclear or pointless rewards, or weren't reasonably achievable (Why would I "secure the Adriatic) when the winter line is easier to reach?)
-Before the final mission (Which, as mentioned, I didn't actually realize was the final mission), I had the max loyalty reward from the British general, which included "Will have his support when attacking the Winter Line." During the actual mission, I did have call-in support... from the American general.

So yeah, not exactly the most polished software.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

- An airborne unit spawn in the ocean (so I couldn't do anything with it but it still took up popcap)
-A campaign reward for increased popcap didn't increase my popcap

Hah, yeah, these were the ones I was running into. It's a shame because I actually do like the enemy sending companies at me for endless skirmishing, the metaprogression leading to some powerful builds, and so on, but it deffo needed a lot more time. Thankfully they're working on it.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Dunno if they're gonna change it, but it is essentially only ranked right now as you have an elo score and there's a leaderboard.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
It's Good Enough. The people who buy it in hopes of good single player won't notice, and the people who want multiplayer matches will deal with anything for a good rts. Thanks Lelic

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The single player wasn't as good as the previous ones but at the same time I do feel like it had shades of being made for series vets rather than new players. You didn't need to spend three missions going "This is COVER. Use COVER to point the METAL END of your RIFLE at the GERMANS".

I just wish that there was an impact to your campaign decisions. It might have been because I played on the normal difficulty but all that capturing all those towns really did was let me heal units constantly since bombing and scouting were very often just not worth the effort.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Are Boys AT rifles fixed? I've been kind of avoiding even trying the Brits until then.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Are Boys AT rifles fixed? I've been kind of avoiding even trying the Brits until then.

Yep they are back to three-volley-ing light armor again, blessed be.

Also I've been playing more 1s using them and man their range is really drat long. They basically have the accurage range of a normal rifle which I think is better than the rocket ATs.

Vvv probably redundant

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 13, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Still legit surprised Brits don't get PIATs though.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I wish someone at Relic or any modern RTS maker would copy Rise of Nations campaigns. A non-3D, Risk style, turn based campaign that is simple enough to not be a chore in the late campaign but offers enough replayability to be fun.

Obviously a bit more granular than this but RoN also came out in 2003

:negative:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Yeah the Italian campaign is way underbaked and glitchy. You're rarely making any interesting decisions on the campaign map and there's very little reason to engage with anything other than move company---> fight because no number of ships, planes, or emplacements are worth as much as a new company on the board.

I also don't understand at all how autoresolve is calculated. A lot of the time you completely dominate but sometimes the enemy supply company will do 70% damage to your triple vetted armor company and force it to retreat. Obviously the answer is just to play out the skirmish, which unfortunately seems heavy weighted towards the "capture everything but their base" slog that you've done 20 times already.

And the loyalty system is completely useless. The boni you get from building it up usually grants you something completely underwhelming, like 20% off a campaign ability you rarely use and isn't a drag on resources anyway. And gently caress trying to figure out how your actions affect loyalty - I bomb a certain town, the brit commander gets angry. I invade a different one and the partisan commander loves me for it. The american general is of course withholding of praise in all situations.

Lastly, I know I'm joining a herd of bleating sheep with this one but just let us loving zoom out like 2 clicks more during the campaign missions. I get restricting the camera, it works 90% of the time for combat at this scale but it's still fiddly, especially when varied topography is such a huge factor.

Combat's great, though! More than worthy of the CoH name. Couple lingering bugs but I think everything they kept was golden and everything they added was a great addition. Love the new maps, too.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

99pct of germs posted:

I wish someone at Relic or any modern RTS maker would copy Rise of Nations campaigns. A non-3D, Risk style, turn based campaign that is simple enough to not be a chore in the late campaign but offers enough replayability to be fun.

As an aside, did that have any multiplayer functionality, that campaign? I remember being able to share the same nation in skirmish, which was fun.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Weird, they changed the Bishop's vet ability without telling anyone. It used to be a (mostly useless) anti-tank barrage. Now it's a (very useless) direct-fire shot.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

thrones and patriots expansion for rise of nations had a cold war version of that risk map and that poo poo was fun as hell

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

That's kind of my problem, that the pathfinder abilities let you pick your fight but you lose every fight. You can spend resources to rifle grenade or neutralize a group by smoking them but their rifle damage output is pitiful and they don't have the models for a stand up fight. They lose fights that even the most basic rifleman of the other groups would have in the bag.

Maybe I'm just not using them in large enough numbers.

Speaking of numbers, here are the actual numbers for the pathfinders! (And everything else)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yXJbs7gtSofTNFFlSNS227lKk-ci2srXu1k18h7P7WI/edit#gid=1019743828

Turns out they're almost twice as accurate as rifles at long range, while shooting on avg, 0.5 seconds faster. So if you do fight with pathfinders keep em at long range and in cover and they will happily surprise you!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Mordja posted:

Weird, they changed the Bishop's vet ability without telling anyone. It used to be a (mostly useless) anti-tank barrage. Now it's a (very useless) direct-fire shot.

I actually got a couple kills with that ability tonight, one of them a clutch finishing shot on a flamethrower tank that had been wrecking my poo poo. It probably saved the game for me, or at least made things much easier for my infantry late game. I think the ability is really just there as a desperate defensive measure to help your AT gun and Boys section if the enemy pushes aggressively before you can get a tank out

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

99pct of germs posted:

Obviously a bit more granular than this but RoN also came out in 2003

RoN was a gift, one of the best lan games

having gotten farther in the Italy campaign I really hate the hold the base territories objective. it's the same poo poo every time and you can't rush it since the AI gets a bunch of free tanks and units when you get the last cap

it all feels so repetitive that I'm begging to play a normal vp skirmish instead

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Imo the worst missions for the Italy campaign at the ones where you have a set group of units with no replacements and you have to survive the map. It isn't difficult; a winning strategy every time is "probe defenses with greyhound, retreat and repair, dive again with greyhound and/or mortars on the MG/field gun and mop up with the infantry". But it's *so* slow and tedious.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

CuddleCryptid posted:

Imo the worst missions for the Italy campaign at the ones where you have a set group of units with no replacements and you have to survive the map. It isn't difficult; a winning strategy every time is "probe defenses with greyhound, retreat and repair, dive again with greyhound and/or mortars on the MG/field gun and mop up with the infantry". But it's *so* slow and tedious.

I agree. I think this premise works really well when you have to defend a pair of emplacements but the offensive version seems very difficult to overcome without playing it safe, and playing it safe is predictable and tedious. Really the main problem for me is when it asks you to take down flak emplacements. When all I have is a small force with extremely limited reinforcements those flak guns are too deadly to take head on (also I'm bad).

On that note, I love the "inflict casualties" missions, especially how they give you a bonus for fully eliminating a squad. I just wish the ticket count was higher! I feel like I've barely had a fight by the time those are done; I'm not even sure how many tickets a tank is worth.

The missions where you reduce enemy tickets by holding a majority of the territories might be my favorite. Mostly because you can rush and cheese it in 3 minutes or take a slim majority and hold the line for 20, whatever you're in the mood for.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sometimes I look at balance complaints and then think about matches like the one I just had where I went Wehr, which is not my typical thing, and held two lanes by myself while my teammates struggled to take on two field guns because they kept just ramming tanks into them.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Voxx posted:

it all feels so repetitive that I'm begging to play a normal vp skirmish instead

Play multiplayer, the 3v3 and 4v4s are a lot of fun and aren't as contingent on knowing the cheese meta.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Wehrmacht players are definitely learning that snipers can do really well against Brits right now. The manpower bleed is really strong even if you can get your reinforcement truck out quickly enough to brute force the sniper off the field. Even double recce infantry can't really do anything, you absolutely need a Dingo or Humber to deal with it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Does anyone know if there is a way to mod the campaign to increase pop limit? I'd like to play it again on the hardest difficulty but I don't want to be playing whack a mole with my four whole companies for most of the game.

VVV Thanks!

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 16, 2023

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Everything here - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=299979247 - works for CoH3.

So, after enabling the dev console with the -dev launch option, put "Player_SetPopCapOverride(Game_GetLocalPlayer(), 1000)" in the console on the campaign map.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Started the Italian campaign on Expert and it's definitely harder in terms of volume of enemies, although it's not more difficult on the strategic layer yet. I've definitely had a lot more "win by the seat of your pants" moments.

It basically gave me a reality check when I had a "hold all VP to trigger a rout" mission, which I used some infantry to rush and capture and set up defenses to hold them against the infantry reinforcements, at which point the game spawned four infantry squads and *two Panzer 4s*. Had to restart because I did not have the AT to handle that. It wasn't too hard now that I know what level we were operating at but it's definitely more of an issue. That said, it's mostly a tiering thing; infantry AI is still dogshit and will just stare at grenades, although sometimes they will also throw them themselves.

There are new special conditions too, like one match where I had to destroy an arty piece at the German base that fired *constantly*. It wasn't very accurate and kind of fired randomly but it definitely just went all the time and I'd have squads get randomly mulched before I gave up trying to reach it and just recon plane-naval bombardment it.

It is funny that the "unique player colors" setting works in the single player mode because you can tell what is a standard built enemy and what is a spawned in "gently caress you it's hard mode now" enemy by what color it is.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 16, 2023

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Speaking of unique colors, they really need to patch it so that you and your teammates are always blue, green, yellow, and, I dunno, teal, while the other team is always red, orange, pink, and purple. It's useful to immediately know when you're being doubled, but it's also extremely goddamn confusing to see a friendly red unit turning red territory blue, or seeing a yellow unit come in from your flank before you realize it's an enemy

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Speaking of unique colors, they really need to patch it so that you and your teammates are always blue, green, yellow, and, I dunno, teal, while the other team is always red, orange, pink, and purple. It's useful to immediately know when you're being doubled, but it's also extremely goddamn confusing to see a friendly red unit turning red territory blue, or seeing a yellow unit come in from your flank before you realize it's an enemy

100% agreed. It gets confusing when you see a unit running and then only register it as an enemy when you either look at the unit card or it starts firing at you.

Additionally, it should just be turned on by default. A lot of people rely on it for call outs and if you don't have it on then someone yelling "ORANGE" doesn't make any sense.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Sipher posted:

Ugh, running into 5+ minute loading times returning to the campaign man after every real time battle. Seems a lot of other folks have had this and I haven't found a fix yet.

-edit-

holy poo poo the Africa campaign is WAY harder

A new patch targetted at singleplayer just got released today. Claims to have fixed that. Some peeps were reporting up to half an hour loads. Hope this works for you.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I want to get back into my campaign, especially with the recent SP patch. Anyone so happen to know if they finally unfucked the mission rewards not working, particularly the pop cap bonus from taking the big three targets before the first line?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Not according to the patch notes.

I've played through the Italy campaign twice to completion, and it looks like I'll give it a third shot if the enemy are more aggressive ( also I still don't have Lest we Forget, The Cover-Up and 100% Buckram Loyalty cheevos yet ).

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
None of the Company of Heroes games on sale for the steam spring sale, disappointing. I was hoping to pick up a copy of COH1 to go through the campaigns again but doesn't seem worth it for almost $40.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

That game came out almost 20 god dammed years ago how is it still $40

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

2006ly: no price else I'd rather pay

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

PokeJoe posted:

2006ly: no price else I'd rather pay

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
"Hi!"

- Greyhound.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

That game came out almost 20 god dammed years ago how is it still $40

I think at this point it's a matter of "you either own this already or it's been recommended enough yo you that you searched for it specifically and will pay 40 dollars for it; its not like we're trying to prop up the multi-player at this point".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I’m sure they’ll do some sort of relic sale sooner or later where CoH 3 is 10% off and you can buy one and two for like 10bux