Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

The Chad Jihad posted:

The 20 seconds from :40 on are forever burned into my brain

that's what it was like back then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Chad Jihad posted:

Why do they remake Wake Island in all their games but not this, the best level they ever made?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Chad Jihad posted:

When the plane explodes will always be a laugh out loud moment for me

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Slavvy posted:

An rts that depicts Rommel as not-good is a loving miracle dude

yeah I'm hedging my praise but I will say that this comes across as substantially less Clean Wehrmacht brained than CoH1 and 2

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I mean CoH2 was full-on goosestepping due to its virulent anti-communism so that's a real low bar.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
COH2 was written by the descendants of people who were a bit political during WW2.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Tankbuster posted:

COH2 was written by the descendants of people who were a bit political during WW2.

yes, I could also have described it as Canadian-brained

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

John Charity Spring posted:

yes, I could also have described it as Canadian-brained

Are the Canadians even in COH3? Sicily and Italy were incredibly important for us.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
There are no explicitly Canadian units in the game at the moment. Canadian troops are mentioned at one point in the campaign and they might show up as AI-controlled at some point but I didn't see it happen in my campaign. I did get 'Poles' at one point (just regular Sherman tanks controlled by AI, no Polish markings or anything).

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol wtf?

Combat Mission made sure to include Indians (Sikh or Muslim units), Free French, South Africans, Poles, Brazilians, New Zealanders, Canadians. The SD2 DLC has all of that plus Co-Belligerents and Greeks. In COH it's an easy way to get unit diversity, some fun voice lines etc.

That's too bad.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Frosted Flake posted:

lol wtf?

Combat Mission made sure to include Indians (Sikh or Muslim units), Free French, South Africans, Poles, Brazilians, New Zealanders, Canadians. The SD2 DLC has all of that plus Co-Belligerents and Greeks. In COH it's an easy way to get unit diversity, some fun voice lines etc.

That's too bad.

I think they pretty much modelled the British faction after the 8th Army troops in North Africa. Certainly in skirmish and multiplayer everything is in desert khakis and beiges and browns, and the units are Crusader IIs and IIIs, Matildas, and M3 Grants. The Italy campaign gives the British vehicles a green camo makeover and has Valentines instead of Crusaders and Shermans instead of Grants, with Archer tank destroyers as well (which you can't get in skirmish or multiplayer). In terms of nationalities there are Indians, Gurkhas, and Australians represented in the roster, which again feels more specifically North African than Italy (in the Italian campaign the Australian mortar teams are replaced by Indians again).

They also made some Australian Light Infantry and 2pdr AT gun units that you fight against as the Afrika Korps but never get to control yourself in any game mode. I'd be surprised if they didn't turn up in some battlegroup in DLC though. Maybe Canadians will turn up in that capacity too.

I guess technically you could argue that there are some Canadians represented in the SSF Commandos that you get as the Americans...

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

lol wtf?

That's too bad.

COH 3 seems like it was made on a shoestring budget and a development time of about 5 months

i don't really get what happened with it unless Relic were about to go under and just put something out really quick

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

lol wtf?

That's too bad.

knowing lelic's standards they would have to record hours of voice acting for each unit, edit them and then put them into the game. At least the canadians in 3 have brodie helmets and lee enfields. CoH1 ended with closing the falaise pocket with very american canadians and poles controlled by the AI.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

COH games are basically RTS games for people that never played Close Combat and Relic has never been good at making games. They're good at art.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Tankbuster posted:

knowing lelic's standards they would have to record hours of voice acting for each unit, edit them and then put them into the game. At least the canadians in 3 have brodie helmets and lee enfields. CoH1 ended with closing the falaise pocket with very american canadians and poles controlled by the AI.

this is true but there's a minor controversy about the Gurkhas in CoH3 because they just got some random Indian people to voice act them and they can't even pronounce the Nepalese words properly apparently

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Regarde Aduck posted:

COH 3 seems like it was made on a shoestring budget and a development time of about 5 months

i don't really get what happened with it unless Relic were about to go under and just put something out really quick

the basic gameplay feels really better though. It's cool to go from COH2's high ground shenanigans to playing a game where it actually matters and is fun.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

this is true but there's a minor controversy about the Gurkhas in CoH3 because they just got some random Indian people to voice act them and they can't even pronounce the Nepalese words properly apparently

Yeah, the VA is just the indian VA, feels very placeholder. Tbh, as far as relic is concerned they could accidentally hire a madeshi when doing the Gurkha's Voice Acting and manage to piss everyone off.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Tankbuster posted:

the basic gameplay feels really better though. It's cool to go from COH2's high ground shenanigans to playing a game where it actually matters and is fun.

yeah I'm actually giving the game a lot of slack because it feels really good to play in a way the series hasn't since CoH1. It's a throwback but it needed to be. And I think the faction design is the best they've done yet, too, in terms of unit selection and upgrades and battlegroups (which currently feel really nice and distinct like the CoH1 doctrines did and the CoH2 commanders really didn't).

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Minenfeld! posted:

COH games are basically RTS games for people that never played Close Combat and Relic has never been good at making games. They're good at art.

Well I guess part of my surprise here is that in art alone, you have a large variety of uniforms if you include the Allied forces in Italy, which were far more international than those in Northwest Europe. Canadians in green battledress, Brits in brown, turbans on Sikh troops, helmets on the Muslim ones, Free French forces wearing both French and American uniforms, French colonial troops of all sorts wearing a staggering variety of uniforms, Polish forces wearing more "Polish" uniforms than the armoured division in Normandy, Italian Co-Belligerents combining Italian and British battledress, like the Bersaglieri wearing tetrao feathers etc. etc.

Italy always gets the short shrift, and so do the Allies that weren't Britain and America. An Italian campaign game, done right, provides the opportunity to do quite a bit artistically.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I bounced off COH2 hard. 3 is more 1?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Minenfeld! posted:

I bounced off COH2 hard. 3 is more 1?

it's extremely 1, to the point where a lot of the complaining about 3 online is from superfans of CoH2 who are upset it's not the same as 2. I was the same as you and did not get on with 2 at all (though I completed the terrible campaign), and I didn't expect to like 3 but I've ended up enjoying it a lot in spite of its flaws.

oh worth saying that the Italian partisans do get a fair shake in the Italy campaign, quite a few missions allow you to use partisan squads (which come in basic fighter, saboteur, and marksman duo varieties) and they're armed with a grab bag of Italian and German stuff, mixed genders, civilian dress plus red berets. it's pretty neat

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Update for victoria 3 got pushed out to mainline https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-3-1-2-is-now-live-checksum-1974-not-for-problem-reports.1572915/

The open beta was still kind of rough and had some issues, hopefully they're fixed.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

Yeah, the VA is just the indian VA, feels very placeholder. Tbh, as far as relic is concerned they could accidentally hire a madeshi when doing the Gurkha's Voice Acting and manage to piss everyone off.

Indian Brigades in Italy consisted of 1x British Battalion, 1x Gurkha Battalion, 2x Indian Battalion. Because Indian infantry battalions outnumbered Gurkhas 2:1, and all of the support troops were Indian, it's obvious there were far more Indians present, but I suppose the Gurkhas have better PR.

What VA's would you need, just out of curiosity? I don't know regional accents. I do however, know the Indian Regiments present fighting up through the Gothic Line. From my reference on Commonwealth and Dominion regiments in the Second World War:

"What is worthy of note with all three Indian divisions, is the consistency in command throughout the formations. In addition, it has to be noted how the men from the Punjab, and Indian plains, coped with the extremely hostile conditions experienced in Italy. Even the Gurkhas from Nepal struggled with the heavy and persistent rain, and freezing nights in the Italian mountains. All three Divisions performed well in the Italian Campaign and were highly respected by the Allied and Axis commanders alike."

I've condensed it into type of unit, rather than numbered battalions. I'm just curious about where they came from, what kind of VO you'd need:

Bengal, Madras and Bombay engineering units
Mahratta Anti-Tank Regt (The only Indian artillery unit present)
Rajputana, Gurkha, Garhwal and Frontier Force Rifles
Mahratta Light Infantry
Jaipur Infantry, Indian States Forces
Punjab, Baluch, Sikh, Rajput and Frontier Force Regiments (Infantry)

Royal Yugoslav Guards (under the 4th Indian Division, a story I would love to know more about)
Jewish Brigade/Palestine Regiment (Curious about this too, since they were alongside Muslim Indian troops, under the command of an Indian division)

🚨Martial Race Theory Bonus Round: The Cavalry🚨

For what I'm sure are not-great reasons, the racial politics of the cavalry units sent to Italy seem much more apparent. It's still unclear to me if that's regional and would be reflected in accent.

1st Horse (Skinner's Horse)

"On 18 May 1921, the two regiments of Skinner's Horse were amalgamated at Sialkot with the new title of the 1st Duke of York's Own Skinner's Horse. Formerly The 1st Duke of York's Own Lancers had been a class regiment made up entirely of Hindustani Mussalman (Muslim) troopers, while the 3rd Skinner's Horse had consisted of one squadron each of Jat Sikhs, Jats, Rajputs and Ranghars (Muslim Rajputs). After the amalgamation, the new regiment would only consist of only three Squadrons: Rajputs, Rangars and Jats. The Jat Sikh Squadron, which had been part of the 3rd Skinner's Horse for 72 years, was disbanded."

6th Duke of Connaught's Own Lancers (Watson's Horse)

"The 13th Duke of Connaught's Lancers (Watson's Horse) and 16th Cavalry were amalgamated at Meerut on 1 June 1921 as the 13th/16th Cavalry; becoming the 6th Duke of Connaught's Own Lancers a year later. Their composition was one squadron each of Punjabi Muslims, Sikhs and Dogras. In August 1947, on the Partition of India, the 6th DCO Lancers was allotted to Pakistan. The regiment's Jat Squadron went to the 7th Light Cavalry in exchange for their Punjabi Mussalman Squadron, while the Sikh Squadron was exchanged with the Punjabi Mussalmans of the 8th King George V's Own Light Cavalry."

Central India Horse (21st King George V's Own Horse)

"The composition of the regiment was Punjabi Musalmans, Sikhs and Jats. In 1940, the Central India Horse was posted to Egypt. While awaiting embarkation the train carrying the regiment was kept in a siding for about twenty-four hours. During this delay four members of a radical political organization – the Kirti Lehar were able to persuade two-thirds of the Sikh squadron of the regiment to refuse overseas service. The remainder of the regiment embarked for North Africa and Italy where it served with distinction. The 'mutineers' were court-martialed. Upon India's independence, the Central India Horse (21st King George V's Own Horse) was allocated to India, although a Muslim Punjabi squadron was transferred to the 19th King George V's Own Lancers in exchange for its Jat squadron."

The Indian embassy in Rome maintains a list of Indian soldiers killed in Italy. If I'm reading this correctly, it includes their place of birth (recruitment?). That might help figuring out what accents would be representative.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You might not like it, but this is what civilization looks like

Edit: Jeez, landlords get so god drat pissed if you ban slavery that you have to wait for years to do any more reforms otherwise they'll start a war over it.

Wage slavery, a kindler gentler slavery, everyone will love it.

Edit: The other option is actually the "nicer" one where there's a boost to local populace education, so they can get the job at whatever local resource extraction gig you set up. It's actually probably better to go with that one. But I also managed to actually get some education laws going, so hope that one takes care of it.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 17:48 on Mar 13, 2023

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I don't know many specifics about the unit, but of what I remember, the long story short was that it started with Italy dragging a bunch of Slovenians to Africa to die for them, which the Slovenians weren't exactly eager to do, and they defected to the allies ASAP with the help of some Yugoslav diplomats working in Egypt since before the war.

Their numbers grew since Yugo defectors from the Italian army all over the meditteranean rallied to the unit, and then grew some more because the unit didn't ask too many questions if non-Yugos decided to ditch Italian citizenship and take up Yugoslav one to join the unit. Thanks for being racist, Brits, I guess.

Eventually, to the surprise of the British, when the opportunity arrived, most of the unit joined the communist Partizans instead of siding with the Četniks or staying with the British.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

my dad posted:

Eventually, to the surprise of the British, when the opportunity arrived, most of the unit joined the communist Partizans instead of siding with the Četniks or staying with the British.

lol nice

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If I remember the Greeks the British recruited turned out to be either largely communist already or were radicalized through the fighting. They staged a mutiny near the end of the war.

e: "In early 1943, 500 Metaxist officers under Colonel Vagenas founded the "Nemesis" secret organisation. Their goal was to overthrow the Greek government in exile and replace it with politicians sympathetic to the 4th of August Regime, as well as ousting all non-monarchist officers from the military. In the middle of February, Metaxist officers demanded the removal of the commanders of the 2nd Brigade. Members of the pro-EAM Antifascist Military Organisation (ASO) immediately protested those demands. In a coordinated effort over 48 Metaxist officers submitted their resignations, demanding the removal of non-monarchist officers from their positions and a reshuffle of the government. ASO members reacted by arresting the officers who resigned. Minister of Defence Panagiotis Kanellopoulos ordered the 1st Brigade to restore order in the 2nd Brigade by force, authorising the arrest of 28 ASO affiliated officers. Encouraged by this move Metaxist officers began resigning in all units of the military except the navy which was out at sea. ASO members arrested and disarmed Metaxist officers in their units while Katsotas refused to intervene. This prompted Kanellopoulos to telegraph his resignation to London and depart for Cairo. British 9th Army commander General William Holmes likewise refused to suppress ASO by force, instead sending the Metaxist officers who had submitted a resignation to a special camp in Syria."

"Finally, on 6 July 1943 a pro-EAM mutiny in the 2nd Brigade was left with only one battalion of about 200–250 men, with the other two used to replenish the losses of 1st Brigade to 4,718 men."

"On 6 April 1944, 1st Brigade too suffered a widespread pro-EAM mutiny. Subsequently, both units were disbanded by the British, and their personnel interned in camps or used in non-combat duties. 3,500 politically reliable officers and men were formed into the 3rd Greek Mountain Brigade under Col. Thrasyvoulos Tsakalotos, on 4 June 1944. This unit was embarked for Italy in August and fought with distinction, particularly at the Battle of Rimini, where it earned the honorific Rimini Brigade. This battle-hardened unit would later be instrumental in the struggle between the British-backed government and the EAM-ELAS forces."

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tankbuster posted:

fair enough, might get it when its on sale

i'm a combat mission kind of guy at heart so i don't really know why i was whining about shoestring budgets

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

Indian Brigades in Italy consisted of 1x British Battalion, 1x Gurkha Battalion, 2x Indian Battalion. Because Indian infantry battalions outnumbered Gurkhas 2:1, and all of the support troops were Indian, it's obvious there were far more Indians present, but I suppose the Gurkhas have better PR.

Well that and the Gurkhas were politically reliable being from nepal and all. Besides it would be shame wasting gurkhas in rear echelon duties

Regarde Aduck posted:

fair enough, might get it when its on sale

i'm a combat mission kind of guy at heart so i don't really know why i was whining about shoestring budgets

Sometimes I wish relic would actually take some of the decisions they made in coh2 like calling starting with their cooldown. Nothing makes your blood boil than hearing a German Transport plane revving up one second into the match.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

Correct on the first part, wrong on the second part cause they made homeworld

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Another game about genocide and claiming living space.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Are the Canadians even in COH3? Sicily and Italy were incredibly important for us.

the canadian mission in COH1 ruled. just pure liberal big happy family Canada propaganda in one mission

as far as Relic and making games I'd argue that COH1 is a good game, especially when it came out. Dawn of War as well, although I prefer 2.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Mar 13, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
all the three CoH games are very unique as far as RTS games go. Relic always had that insanely good sound direction and voice acting.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

Another game about genocide and claiming living space.

That happens before the start of the game.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

all the three CoH games are very unique as far as RTS games go. Relic always had that insanely good sound direction and voice acting.

So how many Indian VOs do you think they'd need to do the 8th Army justice? I guess central India and Punjab, plus Pakistan?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They don't have Italy as a faction yet. I guess they could get Chris Pratt for their VA.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I completed both campaigns in Company of Heroes 3 and had a good time overall. the dynamic-ish Italy campaign is clunky and flawed and I got really tired of the repetitive skirmishes by the end and the final mission is a misfire, but in general the metalayer adds some compelling touches and most of the actual scripted missions were neat. The frame 'story' is rubbish though and I grew to hate Corporal Joe Conti who introduces most mission objectives. it's particularly weird because you're not following a single company, you have at minimum like 6 'companies' (which act more like battalions at least) and yet Corporal Joe is in every loving battle you fight telling you to watch out for Kraut tanks in his exaggerated yank drawl, even when it's a British force you're controlling lol. The hardest missions are an ahistorical assault on Foggia airfield where you spend the whole time being strafed by stukas and also the assault on Anzio where you're under railway gun fire constantly (unless you can blindfire a howitzer barrage at it and knock it out in seconds). By comparison the Monte Cassino mission is a piece of piss where you can easily just roll over the Germans. Anticlimactic.

the Afrika Korps campaign feels like it was written and designed by an entirely different team of people, since the frame narrative is about a family of Benghazi Jews dealing with the Italian and German occupation and then in-mission you get Erwin Rommel himself grandstanding and bloviating about his genius. and every time you load a mission you get a popup about how the campaign aims to show the experience of civilians while you order the nazis around. it's...earnest, but kind of misguided. It climaxes at El Alamein with you massacring wave after wave of Brits and Australians and Indians, and also getting kind of massacred in turn because it just throws so loving many tanks at you. Fun mission but it's uh. Dubiously historical

anyway the gameplay is good and I really like the factions and unit design. skirmishes and multiplayer are pretty fun so far too but I'm only playing with friends not online

Does it manage to make a dig that the Soviets are worse than Nazis in either campaign?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

lol wtf?

That's too bad.

My guess, DLC

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Frosted Flake posted:

lol wtf?

That's too bad.

they have Indian units, lack of poles and canucks is a bit fail but never say never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i wish the weird boomers that make Combat Mission would just hire someone to make an engine properly so it at least ran at 900 fps with the current graphics

like it'd be nice if they improved the graphics as well but i'll accept it just running at greater than 20 fps