Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think I really like the way this game does plot. It seems like most RPGs take a story that could be told in like 1/5 of the time and pad it out a bunch, while this instead gives you 8 stories that all seem to have pretty snappy pacing.

Also, the path actions in this can be pretty funny. I like going back to some kind NPC that helped one of my characters and mugging them and grilling them for info. It's also silly how mugging people doesn't hurt your reputation (speaking of which - how expensive is it to reset reputation? I haven't had to do so yet).

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can just swap people in and out as needed for path actions, though gotta keep the level-based ones in mind. That said, between the rest, pros and cons:

Hikari: hits two weapon types at least. Very strong damage. Lackluster path actions.
Agnea: buffs magic attack, which Castti can't do. Only has daggers before you add in subjobs, but has access to a universal shield break. Can pair really well with some of Inventor's options. Great path actions and can provide great support with the right Allure since she can restore HP/SP/BP every time she dances. Also has access to wind element, which Osvald can't hit, and turn manipulation with Stimluate.
Ochette: hits two weapon types and can almost always hit a weakness with her path companion, and with her captured monsters can hit any weakness in the game. Leghold Trap is extremely handy to backload boss turns. Somewhat reliant on her monsters for high damage if her Latent isn't up. Path actions are kinda weak.
Partitio: Great QoL since you have access to +money passive and Arrow of Fortune for JP. Hits two weapon types. Extremely strong Latent. Damage can be kinda middling without spending money, but can just funnel support with Donate BP. Path actions aren't the best because they do cost money, but their passives can be good for saving money.

I'd probably lean towards Ochette or Partitio since they'd cover two weapon types you don't already have (Hikari overlaps Sword with Throne, but he's better at targeting its weak points), but anyone works.

I'll probably keep using Partitio for now, since JP is always nice (and I really like his ability to donate BP). Once I find the thing that lets me give Scholar as a subjob for Temenos I might be able to drop Osvald for a while (Osvald is my third highest level since I picked him up third).

I'm thinking giving Scholar to Temenos might work pretty well, because Elemental Barrage + Temenos's Latent ability seems like a recipe for quickly stripping heavy shields (and at least makes it useful, since Temenos's Latent ability seems like it's probably one of the weaker ones otherwise).

Natural 20 posted:

The trick is that refilling 2BP, healing for 2k and healing TP for 250 for free works with anyone.

Castii is nuts.

I'm guessing you're referring to using her Latent ability that lets you Concoct without items?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Mix it with the support skill from Merchant that lets you start every fight with full LP.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yeah giving Castti that and the +1 BP skill let's her just crank everyone's BP at the start of every fight. Pomegranate Leaf x2 + Diffusing + Strengthening just gives the entire party 4 BP. Combine with A Step Ahead from inventor for even nuttier results.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Are the paired quests just unlocked by completing X chapters with both characters? I unlocked a Temenos/Throne chapter, and I've also done both their Chapter 2's (well, half of Throne's), so I figure that might explain it.

Temenos/Throne are a fun pair.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's also fun how nobody seems to mind Osvald literally assaulting them to take their poo poo, regardless of whether it succeeds or fails, but they will absolutely warn people to stay away if he happens to look at them funny.

And resetting reputation isn't that big a deal unless you have to do it really early on; the price depends on the city, but I haven't seen it go above 9000 leaves.

E: also yes and yes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ochette/Castti have my favorite paired quest. Ochette calls her "Ma" :3:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ytlaya posted:

Are the paired quests just unlocked by completing X chapters with both characters? I unlocked a Temenos/Throne chapter, and I've also done both their Chapter 2's (well, half of Throne's), so I figure that might explain it.

Temenos/Throne are a fun pair.

Yes.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yeah giving Castti that and the +1 BP skill let's her just crank everyone's BP at the start of every fight. Pomegranate Leaf x2 + Diffusing + Strengthening just gives the entire party 4 BP. Combine with A Step Ahead from inventor for even nuttier results.

I still don't use Castti or contoct in general all that much (still need to level her, she's ~25 with my main character being 50 now) but I see the usefulness for sure. Are you talking about doing that every fight or just boss fights?

Leaves + diffusing serum gets expensive quick, even if I'm now hitting the point where gold is becoming semi useless.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're talking about using her Latent Power, which means Concoctions are free.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Arist posted:

They're talking about using her Latent Power, which means Concoctions are free.

Oh duh....full LP at start of the battle plus that concot

I'm an idiot, I get it now

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Combo posted:

Oh duh....full LP at start of the battle plus that concot

I'm an idiot, I get it now

Don't forget to add in the +1 BP passive so you can mix 4 ingredients instead of 3.

Or just have Partitio give her a healthy donation.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Holy poo poo lool

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
also you can buy pomegranate leaves from the jerky store (though they're all out of you! bam gottem), and serums from most high level cities, so you can always use the BP from the murder mist to whip up another murder mist when you actually need it; don't limit yourself to only doing it with latent power up

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

There's a similar setup you can do with Agnea. Put her on Inventor, give her +1 BP, LP Max at Battle Start, and A Step Ahead. Pop her LP and have her double boost Arkar's Coil to give the whole party (including herself!) 3 BP. Also a revive and 80% HP/SP heal but that's hopefully not an issue at the start of a fight. Since A Step Ahead is essentially a "Turn 0" once the first real turn comes around everyone gains a BP because it's technically a new turn, so after Agnea's initial stuff everyone will be at max BP immediately.

There's some busted poo poo in this game you can do thanks to passives and latent powers it's great.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I used that for a large part of the game. I go with Cassti for boss fights, though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Anyways my stupidest Octopath story is how I stayed up way too late one night playing, turned the game off intending to go to bed, then turned it back on to do a One More Thing just without swapping my headset over.

This resulted in me taking out a Level 50 optional boss (The Squid) while this was playing in my ears and it was kind of a transcendent experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HRWbSL3icA

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is there a sidequest tracker

Talking to a guy and him going 'someone stole my stuff' and not having *any* direction is kinda leaving me not wanting to do any of them. I love sidequests!! I just wanna know where I should even be looking!!!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Go to the Journal and hit R1 to switch to Side Stories. It's split into sections by region.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Some of them can be a bit obtuse, but usually you'll either get a hint of where to look, or it will be somewhere nearby.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is there a sidequest tracker

Talking to a guy and him going 'someone stole my stuff' and not having *any* direction is kinda leaving me not wanting to do any of them. I love sidequests!! I just wanna know where I should even be looking!!!

I believe outside your starter’s town there’s always a guy who says “a thief stole my stuff!” And then if you change to night there will be a thief nearby who you can beat up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I believe outside your starter’s town there’s always a guy who says “a thief stole my stuff!” And then if you change to night there will be a thief nearby who you can beat up.

For the other side quests, I basically just put them out of my mind and do as many Path Actions as I can and when I sometimes manage to complete a side quest it's just a nice surprise.

I'll probably put more direct effort towards it once I've actually gained access to the full world map.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Anyways my stupidest Octopath story is how I stayed up way too late one night playing, turned the game off intending to go to bed, then turned it back on to do a One More Thing just without swapping my headset over.

Last night I had half of a "5-hour Energy" thing at 10pm thinking "well, shouldn't be a big deal, in theory this should only be ~2.5 hours of caffeine since I only had half" but then I just laid there in bed in some half-asleep fugue state until like 8:30am (fortunately I work from home so this isn't a big deal). I have no idea how people consume an entire vial of that stuff. I've found that Red Bulls are actually the least harsh caffeine option - regular coffee is way stronger, and these 5-hour energy things have even more caffeine than that.

Played a lot of the game as a result, though (this is why I posted in this thread at like 5:30am this morning).

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Random notes:

-Squall of arrows has a ridiculous sound effect
-Ochette's animals are light years better than the offerings in the first game. Even some of the lesser monsters have utility through double hit multi-target attacks, if they only lose out in damage.
-Summons are great, I can see how a high level latent power boost through Agnea's skill could be useful.
-I completely missed the Inventor on my first pass through because I got the creepy strong random encounter, and I was so thrown I never bothered to explore that area. Then never had a reason to go back. I literally searched everywhere except that map and eventually just looked it up (since everyone seemed to just "run into it"). Gah.
-Cleaving Blow might be worth using every now and again on certain enemies. Some enemies give multiple stat up bonuses, rare positive status effects like the elemental chaser attacks, SP, and I ran into one that gave BP in return!
-Bats taste like grilled chicken.
-"Forget-me-do"

Random questions:
-Are there any ways other than random chance (and I assume a job I haven't unlocked yet) to add elemental attacks to your weapons?
-What is your favorite impractical/inefficient but fun setups to use? There seems to be ridiculous stuff with random status effect sharing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Prowler posted:

-Are there any ways other than random chance (and I assume a job I haven't unlocked yet) to add elemental attacks to your weapons?

That's an endgame job, so you won't get that til after you're wrapping up character stories.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I've seen a couple post mentioning creepy strong enemies and now I'm worried I'm going to get jumpscared or something :v:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh, don't worry.

Worrying won't make a difference.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

That's an endgame job, so you won't get that til after you're wrapping up character stories.

Thanks!

Ugh, come on, dev team, I want to be able to use it during the main game BEFORE I'm destroying everything in my path. I also guess I wasted a ton of time looking for something that I technically can't get yet.

The latest boss I fought had electricity chaser as their Cleaving Blow power-up, and the damage add on a 41k attack was 4k sooooo meeeeeh? It's only 10% or so?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've seen a couple post mentioning creepy strong enemies and now I'm worried I'm going to get jumpscared or something :v:

It’s more like, something seems wrong with your game and then you fight a really creepy enemy and it just goes away suddenly. It’s executed really well.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
"This area is too difficult! Here we've even put an NPC that level locks you to keep you out!"

Throne sighs and unleashes Aeber's Reckoning

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It’s more like, something seems wrong with your game and then you fight a really creepy enemy and it just goes away suddenly. It’s executed really well.

Also, it's not actually strong or anything, it's just a slightly harder random fight of the level of the area

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

"This area is too difficult! Here we've even put an NPC that level locks you to keep you out!"

Throne sighs and unleashes Aeber's Reckoning

I really wonder what the multipliers are on stuff like this and Ochette's latent single target move (on one boss, during the same break period, it was 14k to 56ishk respectively, though the former hit closer to 41k in just the previous battle).

Perhaps it is the difference was hitting a crit? I do have that accessory that boosts crit damage, but I'm not sure how you might tell when a crit lands on a broken foe.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So I just started II, didn't play the first one so I'm not 100% on how progression works in these games and had a question - I started as Throne and at the end of her first chapter I see I can go north to go after father, which is much closer but has a higher recommended level, or I can go across the sea somehow to go after mother, with a recommended level of 7 (I'm 10 rn). My question is won't I just be enormously OP by the time I get there? I could see myself being level 20 or more at this rate by the time I find a way across the ocean. Is this just not a big deal?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Deified Data posted:

So I just started II, didn't play the first one so I'm not 100% on how progression works in these games and had a question - I started as Throne and at the end of her first chapter I see I can go north to go after father, which is much closer but has a higher recommended level, or I can go across the sea somehow to go after mother, with a recommended level of 7 (I'm 10 rn). My question is won't I just be enormously OP by the time I get there? I could see myself being level 20 or more at this rate by the time I find a way across the ocean. Is this just not a big deal?

You have to do both chapter paths and the order in which you do them has zero impact on the actual story. Just do them in the recommended level order and don't think too hard about it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I forget if I asked this, but is it safe to sell all the "Fetches a ___ price" items? I probably have like ~100k worth of those things, but I'm paranoid about needing them for something later.

Btw regarding the little party chat things - I'm guessing these can be missed, since they seem to occur during a party member's story content but only for active party members? I've gotten a couple Throne/Temenos and one Throne/Osvald.

Deified Data posted:

It's not exactly hard to cross the ocean - just go to where the boat is on the map and pay (IIRC) $2500.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ytlaya posted:

I forget if I asked this, but is it safe to sell all the "Fetches a ___ price" items? I probably have like ~100k worth of those things, but I'm paranoid about needing them for something later.

Btw regarding the little party chat things - I'm guessing these can be missed, since they seem to occur during a party member's story content but only for active party members? I've gotten a couple Throne/Temenos and one Throne/Osvald.

Yup, they're safe to sell. If you want to maximize profit, put Partitio in the party and have him hire someone who gives bonus money for selling.

Thankfully, they've made that better in Octopath 2. When you finish a chapter, go to the Journal and hit someone's quest. You'll see a list of banters unlocked by pressing +, whether you've seen them already or not.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Deified Data posted:

Make sure you recruit all the other characters before starting more chapters or you will not have a good time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You don't need to recruit all the characters, but you do probably want a party of 4.

Also specifically I think Throné's mother chapter is the only non-tutorial chapter to have that low of a level requirement, and overshooting it is absolutely not a deal in any way.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You don't need to recruit all the characters, but you do probably want a party of 4.

Also specifically I think Throné's mother chapter is the only non-tutorial chapter to have that low of a level requirement, and overshooting it is absolutely not a deal in any way.

It also involves zero combat whatsoever, so you could go in at level 4 or something and it wouldn't matter. Same with Agnea's chapter 3.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

My favorite turn 1 scam is Partitio with thief. Step Ahead and the latent power passive. Pop latent, use thief divine skill, random encounter gone. Swapping the setup to Castti for boss fights for mass BP is then good for boss fights.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

Quest-relevant items have a special icon. Everything else is fair game though obviously you probably don't want to sell the good consumables or the powerful equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also there is no reason not to sell the Purse of Hope, but I would never sell the Purse of Hope.