Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
This is pretty neat! It's a bit of a big jump for Kat though to go from "in 2 months offscreen she developed a computer that lets her teleport things" to "No she actually has an entire space-compressed city-factory" but I'll roll with it if this goes somewhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

afatwhiteloaf posted:

why was Kat intrigued by the possibility of going to space with the court to “follow any line of research you wanted […] away from regular rules and restrictions” when she can already play factorio on the heads of pins with no oversight

She does admittedly specify it's using court technology, so it's possible that will go along with the court and she'd lose her pocket dimension if they left. Though this is admittedly mostly wild speculation.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Nuns with Guns posted:

It would be nice if Annie and Paz got any room for dialog or time to talk to one another about stuff. Even just to catch up on what Paz has been thinking throughout this whole "star ocean" thing. I'd like more talking with characters I like overall, and less hijinks.

Yeah this was what I was hoping for. Maybe them traveling together as Kat helped guide them. Maybe learn about where in the court along their path has surveillance and what kind. Perhaps some "dead spots" where Annie and Paz could voice some words of concern or talk about what they felt during the surgery.

But nope. Just gonna transport y'all immediately without warning for laughs.

Also I dunno. The warping and using the Court's dimension technology feels like it should come a bit after she merges with the computer.
Or as this poster said:

The Lord of Hats posted:

So on the one hand, this is cool!

On the other, god but we should've been shown some of this before. Not necessarily this space itself, but the fact that Kat was working on something on this scale, and that she wasn't really talking to Paz and Annie about it! That's a significant change in the dynamic between our main characters! But no, we get the Jerrek Power Hour instead.

So that's not a current complaint, just... god dammit that stretch was bad.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
basically we're in the stage in between tom massively raises the stakes, and then undermines them

is kat being totally blase because her brain stem blowing up truly is not a big deal, or is it to highlight the degree of alienation between her and her friends?

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 10, 2023

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Good, Paz! Chapters late, but progress!

Now be specific.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tree Reformat posted:

Good, Paz! Chapters late, but progress!

Now be specific.

“Anni! I’m sorry I cried!”

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
more like "I'm sorry, she been talking a lot of concerning things and I was keeping it to myself for her, because it made sense at the time"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I’m sorry Anni, but somehow this is your fault.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Why do you keep spelling Annie's name wrong?

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
ok this is why she was crying, next

no moral

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Niavmai posted:

ok this is why she was crying, next

no moral

I don't know, there's a reason she's apologizing now in this particular moment. I suspect she's building to a question on the next page.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Man, it really is amazing how every time I think something interesting is going to happen, it just completely fails to materialize, and we get some tepid drama instead.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Paz: "So Annie, I just have to ask... what the gently caress did we just wander into? You've known her longer than I have and gotten into lots of crazy adventures with her, you must know what's going on."
Annie: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

christmas boots posted:

I don't know, there's a reason she's apologizing now in this particular moment.

Is there though?

Would be happy to be wrong (maybe).

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Well if we want the most soap-y cheapest drama option we could have Paz say something uncharitable about Kat or declare her intentions to break up with her to Annie. Which Kat of course will find a way to overhear and it causes her to further fall into whatever this is.

Not that this makes it a great plot development or whatever, I'm just amazed Annie got an actual apology from someone. So used to this comic treating her as a punching bag for no reason but "drama".

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 14, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Two people having a reasonable discussion about their concerns rather than one just arbitrarily blaming the other for everything that has gone wrong? Who killed Tom and replaced him, and can they keep writing the comic?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Whoever pointed out that this is now using old Tim Buckley eyes/mouths/expressions has ruined what little joy I might have had left with this comic

just shovelware

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
On one hand, I'm delighted to have any plot momentum and normal conversation.

On the other hand, the minute I noticed how many panels in the last three pages back to back are close ups of Paz's face making the exact same concerned eyebrow face from different angles...

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Randalor posted:

Two people having a reasonable discussion about their concerns rather than one just arbitrarily blaming the other for everything that has gone wrong? Who killed Tom and replaced him, and can they keep writing the comic?

Yeah and it actually seems relevant! I wonder if Annie will realize what she actually saw in the Jeanne chapter was Kat.

coolusername posted:

On one hand, I'm delighted to have any plot momentum and normal conversation.

On the other hand, the minute I noticed how many panels in the last three pages back to back are close ups of Paz's face making the exact same concerned eyebrow face from different angles...

It's a bit odd next to Annie, who's being drawn in an overly-animated fashion.

Last time I can remember a similar conversation with Paz was Mind Cage. She's in for 4 pages and has a wide range of expressions:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2447

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

catapede posted:

It's a bit odd next to Annie, who's being drawn in an overly-animated fashion.

Honestly, it feels like Annie is reacting to a completely different conversation than what's being had and it's REALLY jarring.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

RocketMermaid posted:

Honestly, it feels like Annie is reacting to a completely different conversation than what's being had and it's REALLY jarring.

It's like they are both still trying to talk down the other from flipping out, but at the same time trying to tentatively suggest that Kat is going bonkers, maybe?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

isasphere posted:

It's like they are both still trying to talk down the other from flipping out, but at the same time trying to tentatively suggest that Kat is going bonkers, maybe?

It sounds like Paz is doing the latter, and Annie somehow has no idea what Paz is talking about.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

tom has spent so long thinking up great expository dialogue that he forgot what two peers talking looks like

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Patware posted:

tom has spent so long thinking up great expository dialogue that he forgot what two peers talking looks like

Make of it what you will.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
If it was tom's intention to paint annie as willfully oblivious to the insanity that kat is embarking on then mission accomplished

on the other hand the fact that she is repeatedly failing to pick up on paz's anxiety throughout the conversation kind of makes her look like a complete moron

to say nothing of blithely telling someone "oh yeah your girlfriend totally doesnt love you more than her work!"

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 16, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

If it was tom's intention to paint annie as willfully oblivious to the insanity that kat is embarking on then mission accomplished

on the other hand the fact that she is repeatedly failing to pick up on paz's anxiety throughout the conversation kind of makes her look like a complete moron

to say nothing of blithely telling someone "oh yeah your girlfriend totally doesnt love you more than her work!"

That's on brand for Annie. She suffered horrific abuse and isolation for most of her childhood and that has affected her deeply in her ability to connect and relate to others. The fact that she still interacts with people in "inappropriate" ways like this despite her "being totally okay" and "forgiving Tony" is really the only reasonable thing about how that whole arc has been treated lately.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I was reading Annie as being incredibly indirect and trying to be tactful (and insecure after the way she's been treated the last year or so), but, uh, yeah, that reading makes more sense with her characterization.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is this the first time that Tom has confirmed that the metal goddess we saw way back when was the aether version of Kat? It's nice to see people actually talking to each other, a nice change of pace from people blaming Annie for their own choices.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

They both saw this weird thing, but decided to never talk about it to each other or Kat for literal years??

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Annie and Tony are just incredibly English.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

There Bias Two posted:

They both saw this weird thing, but decided to never talk about it to each other or Kat for literal years??

Tbf, Annie brought it up with Kat soon after, she just didn't realize what she saw. She's probably pieced it together a bit through talks with Zimmy, and Paz also seeing mecha-Kat confirms it.

And considering Paz and Annie's relationship has been rocky for awhile, I could see them not bringing it up to each other.

Edit: As for Paz not talking to Kat, not sure why. Maybe we're gonna learn she has and got brushed off or something. Or maybe not, lol. But yeah if I saw my partner turn into a mecha-creature, I'd probably bring it up even if I thought I was delusional.

catapede fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 17, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

catapede posted:

Tbf, Annie brought it up with Kat soon after, she just didn't realize what she saw. She's probably pieced it together a bit through talks with Zimmy, and Paz also seeing mecha-Kat confirms it.

And considering Paz and Annie's relationship has been rocky for awhile, I could see them not bringing it up to each other.

Edit: As for Paz not talking to Kat, not sure why. Maybe we're gonna learn she has and got brushed off or something. Or maybe not, lol. But yeah if I saw my partner turn into a mecha-creature, I'd probably bring it up even if I thought I was delusional.

I think Annie did realize what she saw, but everything looks different in the ether, so why would this specifically be bad. Or need her to take any action? It’s not like Kat was evil or doubting or anything.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i don't think it's kat's ether form per se. the theory ive landed on is it's the echo of who she was supposed to become when annie died and it's attempting to imprint and "reassert" itself into history devoid of its original context for existing

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i don't think it's kat's ether form per se. the theory ive landed on is it's the echo of who she was supposed to become when annie died and it's attempting to imprint and "reassert" itself into history devoid of its original context for existing

I'm curious as to how you reach that conclusion. I can see something along the lines of "The Machine Goddess will be Kats natural endstate, no matter what happens she WILL become the Goddess of Machines, and it echos back in time and ether beings see her as she will be, not as she is", but so far the comic has always seemed to fall into the "Kat was/is/shall become the Goddess the robots believe her to be" and not "Well, she does if Annie dies" side of things. I'm just curious why you feel that's the way the story is going.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Randalor posted:

I'm curious as to how you reach that conclusion. I can see something along the lines of "The Machine Goddess will be Kats natural endstate, no matter what happens she WILL become the Goddess of Machines, and it echos back in time and ether beings see her as she will be, not as she is", but so far the comic has always seemed to fall into the "Kat was/is/shall become the Goddess the robots believe her to be" and not "Well, she does if Annie dies" side of things. I'm just curious why you feel that's the way the story is going.

it's an emotional-level read really. i just don't see Kat as she's depicted naturally becoming a machine god without the fundamental component of grief leading her to sever her connections to humanity.

the way things are going a breakup with paz could be the catalyst instead but idk that feels cheaper somehow

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah I think it's more like how Randalor put it. Though I'd go even further and say it's not what she inevitably will be but what she's always been. We've seen this sort of thing explicitly with Jones. Even though Jones is a being created by the belief of humans, her existence predates all life on the planet. Doesn't matter, humans believe it, the ether made it real and so that's how it is. Time is a secondary concern.

So applying that to Kat, the robots believe she is their true creator god, and so she is. And we've seen that she has literally made them into people. So it's literally true not just true in some metaphorical sense. But the robots knew she was the creator before she did that. She is also a normal human child with human parents who is Annie's friend, etc, etc. She's both, always has been, always will be sort of thing. Well I suppose she could stop being friends with Annie at some point but you know what I mean.

Though I think if she does lose her connection to Annie/Paz she could absolutely take a dark turn. But she's still the creator god of the machines regardless of whether she does good things or bad. That's just a part of her.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 17, 2023

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Do we know for certain that Kat's robots can impact the ether? I know it's a pretty safe assumption that if they can't now, they will be able to eventually, but I don't recall anything in the actual text confirming that they have that ability yet.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

cant cook creole bream posted:

Annie and Tony are just incredibly English.

Did it look like choobs and spoikes, guvna?

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
"or something that she could become..."

why the gently caress would she come to this conclusion? there's absolutely no prompting for that specific guess. we know the answer, but annie shouldn't.

Niavmai fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Niavmai posted:

"or something that she could become..."

why the gently caress would she come to this conclusion? there's absolutely no prompting for that specific guess. we know the answer, but annie shouldn't.

Yeah, this is what bothers me. This feels like a huge stretch for something we haven’t seen Annie discuss at all, and this would be a great time/place for that discussion, but instead we just skip to the conclusion - something the comic didn’t do for the whole “going to a place without ether” “make of that what you will” conversation.