Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Dude don't gloat after an Ego snap win. That not how Ego works. You take your 8 cubes and quietly leave. "Thanos, Snap? Snap? Snap?" gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
Thought it was interesting to watch a streamer (xXWhatAmIXx) play in a 60 person tourney this weekend. I didn't catch every match but he streamed most of them and his deck was not Shuri or Thanos, it was built to beat the meta decks, and he made top cut while not loosing a single round. I mean he slew 5 or so Thanos players out of 7 or so rounds. Unfortunately he didn't stream the top 8 and they only posted the top 4 winners (all Thanos decks) so I'm not sure who or what he lost to (probably Thanos)

His idea was to beat the meta, but to him the meta was not Shuri or Thanos decks, it was the most played card in the format, Aero.

So he brought a deck that used Moongirl to double up one cost cards (and She-Hulk) to fill enough lanes that he could always beat Aero plays.

Made me realize Thanos and Shuri aren't the best decks they are just the best Aero decks in the format, and if second dinner doesn't address Aero along with the other balance changes, it will probably just be the best one or two Aero decks being played next season too.

His deck for reference was (and it's from memory so it might not be card for card)
Hood
Quinjet
Iceman
Tiatania
Sunspot
Maria Hill
Sentinel
Shehulk
Aero
Moongirl
Shang
Chavez

Youremother posted:

What exactly is the counterplay to Dracula? Out of all the meta stuff I experience Dracula is the only one I can never seem to get around. Dracula into MODOK with Apocalypse in hand is incredibly powerful and almost unanswerable to me.

He kind of falls off in higher MMR, but the counterplay is to try and determine what the decks top end is and then decide if you can challenge a Dracula lane. If so play to that lane for points. if not play outside that lane.
If it's a straight Apoc discard deck and they have already discarded Apoc by the time they drop Drac assume they can discard him at least two more times to determine Dracs likely last turn power.
If they just drop Drac and you don't put them on Apoc you need to look at how empty their hand is on 6 to decide if they have good odds at a high point discard, anywhere from 9-20 point Drac can pop out.

GarudaPrime fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 13, 2023

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

What exactly is the counterplay to Dracula? Out of all the meta stuff I experience Dracula is the only one I can never seem to get around. Dracula into MODOK with Apocalypse in hand is incredibly powerful and almost unanswerable to me.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I don’t understand how you could even play in this meta and think aero is the problem. Aero’s super strong and she probably does need a nerf of some kind but she’s not the one responsible for putting stupid big numbers up or filling the board with Lockjaw’d BS. You can tell Aero isn’t really the problem because that guy went teched for it and lost to Thanos anyways.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Youremother posted:

iirc the only way around it is to put a Shang Chi behind an invisible woman and not have priority when game ends

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Youremother posted:

Go win the other two lanes

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Youremother posted:

You play Maximus or Master Mold* on turn 6 and you hope the RNG doesn't screw you over.

(*available for 6000 tokens after today)

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Opopanax posted:

Go win the other two lanes

This is about what I was expecting, yeah.

Sandwolf posted:

iirc the only way around it is to put a Shang Chi behind an invisible woman and not have priority when game ends

I've been looking around and also saw Doc Ock to pull their good cards out of hand early or Maximus to force them to draw junk. Of course I don't have any of these cards, but I guess when playing a discard player the trick is to sandbag and I could play a turn six Sentinel and hope I get the fifty-fifty

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Turn 6 Black Widow against Dracula is often an amusing way to force a 50/50 on Dracula getting a lovely pull.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!

Sandwolf posted:

I don’t understand how you could even play in this meta and think aero is the problem. Aero’s super strong and she probably does need a nerf of some kind but she’s not the one responsible for putting stupid big numbers up or filling the board with Lockjaw’d BS. You can tell Aero isn’t really the problem because that guy went teched for it and lost to Thanos anyways.

I said she is the reason they are so strong and it's true. I do think they should have additional changes to shave some power off, my point was if they don't nerf Aero at the same time it won't change the problem for the future.

Also I think that's the wrong take away from the tournament, after all he played Aero too. He beat (somewhere around) 5-6 Thanos players out of (assuming he lost first round in the top 8) 7 matches.

GarudaPrime fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 13, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Youremother posted:

Leech is a good answer. Either it hits Dracula, or it hits MODOK and he can't discard his hand, or it hits Apocalypse and he loses all the extra power. It's one of the few cases where you'd play Leech on turn 6.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Youremother posted:

I don’t see them commonly used, but Maximus or Baron Mordo on T6 will fill their hand with non-Apoc cards that Dracula might grab instead. Doctor Octopus could also pull Apoc onto the board early, leaving Drac with nothing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

In the next day you can also go for the turn Wong Master Mold Combo it will still discard Apoc anyway

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Clogging up lanes with debrii/goblins/viper might also be good against drac if you can prevent them from dumping all of their swarm cards.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Shuri would be cheering if aero gets nerfed. It is not the reason for shuri's dominance.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

priznat posted:

Clogging up lanes with debrii/goblins/viper might also be good against drac if you can prevent them from dumping all of their swarm cards.

most of the dracula decks I'm seeing aren't running swarm. I'm even seeing some that don't run Apocalypse or other discard, just cheap stuff so you can keep your hand nearly empty, with some expensive Dracula targets (Red Skull, Infinaut, Death, etc)

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!

No Wave posted:

Shuri would be cheering if aero gets nerfed. It is not the reason for shuri's dominance.

Yes! That was not the point though.

Shuri and Thanos are the best Aero decks was the point. Both those decks need changes, but so does Aero. I'm not really arguing for just changing Aero just that not fixing her now will almost always lead to figuring out what the best Aero deck is next season, and likely that deck/s will be the best deck/s again.

Put it another way. if the best versions of Thanos/Shuri both run the same two cards, She-Hulk and Aero. We should look at those cards pretty hard?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Aero is the best tech card in the game so of course the best decks in the game run her. She is not the reason they are the best decks though, as you said yourself. If Aero were removed from the game those decks would still be on top. She’s not part of their engine, she’s tech.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Aero is an extremely good card but I think the problem is that it's the only card in the game that significantly affects the opponent's board. There's other stuff like Elektra (which sucks), Doc Ock (which is highly situational and really can gently caress you over if you pull their Infinaut, which they ALWAYS have, it spawns in their hand when you draw Doc Ock) and Gambit (only discard decks want to run this anyway), but Aero has zero downsides attached to a 5/7 stick. Aside from the Infinaut thing which, again, spawns in their hand once you play a control card

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

GarudaPrime posted:

Yes! That was not the point though.

Shuri and Thanos are the best Aero decks was the point. Both those decks need changes, but so does Aero. I'm not really arguing for just changing Aero just that not fixing her now will almost always lead to figuring out what the best Aero deck is next season, and likely that deck/s will be the best deck/s again.

Put it another way. if the best versions of Thanos/Shuri both run the same two cards, She-Hulk and Aero. We should look at those cards pretty hard?
But thanos and shuri DO run she hulk and aero. And she hulk does need a nerf because she's only countered by aero and leech. It's important to nerf the stuff that cant reasonably be beaten without aero before nerfing aero.

Btw the aero nerf I support is having her pull all cards played not just opponent cards because aero on losing lane+1 in another lane is stupid. But she'd still be almost universally run in that state because there are strategies like double she hulk and deathwave (and galactcunt) that cant be reasonably beaten otherwise. This change also helps mitigate the phenomenon where you need aero to beat aero.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 13, 2023

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The only change Aero needs is to move cards in play order, just like every other card does. Then you can play around her better without losing her utility.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Bisse posted:

I absolutely adore :allears: how the game keeps giving me Star Lord stuff even though I never play him. I just got my third card variant for him, on top of his avatar and 200 boosters for him.

SNAP! Stop trying to make StarLord happen.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

There's nothing quite like the thrill of playing your priority Leech on the turn they play MODOK., done it twice now and it's amazing.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

This guy must've been soooo happy to be playing his rocks deck this hand. I mean drat.

Lipids
Sep 10, 2006
As someone playing that dracula into apoc deck. A good leech or enchantress is not fun to play against.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i wish enchantress or rogue stole the ability from dracula, but they don't.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Walla posted:

The only change Aero needs is to move cards in play order, just like every other card does. Then you can play around her better without losing her utility.

I could've sworn that's how it was for other move cards, but both Magneto and Polaris move in random order now.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

PJOmega posted:

I could've sworn that's how it was for other move cards, but both Magneto and Polaris move in random order now.

Fair point. They all should move in play order, but especially Aero. I really don't think she needs any other kind of change.

Lipids
Sep 10, 2006

flatluigi posted:

i wish enchantress or rogue stole the ability from dracula, but they don't.

You're right, I was thinking of Enchantress turning off Morbius and messing with the rest of that discard deck.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Walla posted:

I'd prefer if she pulls the first card your opponent plays only. That way it doesn't completely screw you if your last turn is multiple cards.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
dracula makes me particularly mad because i play a storm deck and dracula is a 4 cost card that wins the storm lane i need to win

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Would making Dracula an ongoing effect be a good change to him? I don't really think Drac is OP or in serious need of a nerf like the Shuri-Thanos situation but he seems a bit strong right now. But I acknowledge I am bitter and praying I get a Drac every time I open a cache.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Drac is an op design but his archetype isnt very good. I dont have any issue with nerfing cards when they actually become a problem and not beforehand he is kind of all that discard has going for it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dracula's strength is in his consistency. In a tuned deck if you get him down it's a guaranteed big lane that beats most others. The accompanying cards are synergistic and usually above curve in their power level to win another. The third lane is for junk or a surprise turn 6 play. You can drop Apoc without Dracula as a backup. My version runs Infi as well so I can cheat it out with Ghost or drop Apoc and get Infi on Drac. And you can always play Drac as a bluff but play Apoc on another lane too.

It's not top tier, but it's very playable because of consistency.

I don't think Modok particularly helps the deck unless you want to do the Swarm version but I think that's weaker.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 13, 2023

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Youremother posted:

Leech on their MODOK turn.
Fill their deck with rocks.
Use Magneto or Aero to control lane placement.
Play one of the many games where they don't draw what they need in the order they need it to be competitive.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Dracula's strength is in his consistency. In a tuned deck if you get him down it's a guaranteed big lane that beats most others. The accompanying cards are synergistic and usually above curve in their power level to win another. The third lane is for junk or a surprise turn 6 play. You can drop Apoc without Dracula as a backup. My version runs Infi as well so I can cheat it out with Ghost or drop Apoc and get Infi on Drac. And you can always play Drac as a bluff but play Apoc on another lane too.

It's not top tier, but it's very playable because of consistency.

I don't think Modok particularly helps the deck unless you want to do the Swarm version but I think that's weaker.

I don’t have drac but I’ve been doing swarm apoc modok and I surprisingly like it. Pretty easy to get 2 swarms and 12 power apoc to play on turn 6, but more common than you’d think to have 4 swarms too. It’s not easy to play around last turn 24 power spread out around all those cards

I put ghost rider in my 4 slot as replacement and he’s basically useless in this lol. I should put enchantress she would’ve won me so many games

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, I think you run Drac or Modok/Swarm but not both.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Up to 45, down to 38, back up to 46, back down to 41. This loving game...

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Announced on Discord, new series drop hitting with next patch

Four to Three

M'Baku
Orka
Attuma

Five to Four

Zabu
Sauron
Shadow King
Shanna
Dazzler

PlasticAutomaton fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

New Leaf posted:

Up to 45, down to 38, back up to 46, back down to 41. This loving game...

It doesn't want me to get past 35 this season. I don't really care about ranking up anymore. I figured out last season it's a fool's errand to even try.