Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

PhazonLink posted:

isnt the reverse picker effect also largely disproven because you can't logic illogical things?

This assumes Cramer doesn't have hidden information and motivation to give poor stock picks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Josef bugman posted:

Yes, you will note that the Opinion section is still selected within a narrow band of ideas that can be technically opposed to the masthead, but not to the fundamental ideals of the owners.

For instance, the Guardian is a transphobic paper and occasionally publishes pro-trans opinions, but it still only accepts that within a narrow idea of that and does not accept the idea that it is transphobic.

You sure about that?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Newspapers should and do take responsibility for the dreck they print.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's actually not. The Editorial Board also released a piece today about SVB. They think it was (surprise) due to nefarious Dodd-Frank regulations and the "Elizabeth Warren acolyte" Biden appointed to the FDIC board being hostile to smaller bank mergers on ideological grounds that resulted in SVB not being able to merge with another bank to shore up its deposits.

There's tedious pedantry and there's also "No, the official views of the paper are horrendously wrong in a slightly different way, and by the way they take no responsibility for the other content." Scott Adams will be relieved especially at that last part.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Name Change posted:

Newspapers should and do take responsibility for the dreck they print.

There's tedious pedantry and there's also "No, the official views of the paper are horrendously wrong in a slightly different way, and by the way they take no responsibility for the other content." Scott Adams will be relieved especially at that last part.

Nobody is saying that the WSJ editorial board is good or correct. Just that they specifically put out an editorial on the issue and it is not in agreement with that opinion piece.

It is wrong in a different way, but it in no way makes the same argument or agrees with the opinion piece. The Editorial Board actually thinks that SVB and silicon valley were "anti-woke" and that Silicon Valley rubs the PC police the wrong way because they just try to find things that work without following the established rules or paying homage to diversity. That is literally the opposite of the assessment of SBV from the opinion piece.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Nobody is saying that the WSJ editorial board is good or correct. Just that they specifically put out an editorial on the issue and it is not in agreement with that opinion piece.

It is wrong in a different way, but it in no way makes the same argument or agrees with the opinion piece. The Editorial Board actually thinks that SVB and silicon valley were "anti-woke" and that Silicon Valley rubs the PC police the wrong way because they just try to find things that work without following the established rules or paying homage to diversity. That is literally the opposite of the assessment of SBV from the opinion piece.

The WSJ Editorial Board literally wrote an article with basically the same position last year and the year before that, that trying to involve anyone but white men in banking will ruin it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Yes. They still continue to publish Transphobic content for more than the last 4 years. If they say "oh mea culpa, we were wrong about this" and then continue doing it, then yeah they never cared about not being transphobic.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Again, nobody is saying the WSJ editorial is cool and good. Just that they literally are not blaming SVB failing on wokeness and diversity.

The WSJ editorial board thinks SVB and Silicon Valley are bastions of anti-wokeness in a business world gone mad. Even if they believed that wokeness is responsible for 100% of all bank failures, they do not apply that argument here because they consider SVB and Silicon Valley to be anti-woke.

The opinion piece argues that SVB failed because it was too woke. The Editorial board piece thinks it is anti-woke and being punished by radical woke and anti-business ideologues at the FDIC.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Josef bugman posted:

Yes. They still continue to publish Transphobic content for more than the last 4 years. If they say "oh mea culpa, we were wrong about this" and then continue doing it, then yeah they never cared.

My point is that they posted an opinion piece that you said they wouldn't accept. Which seemingly goes against the argument at hand, which is whether or not opinion pieces represent the views of a news outlet in where its published.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Kalit posted:

My point is that they posted an opinion piece that you said they wouldn't accept. Which seemingly goes against the argument at hand, which is whether or not opinion pieces represent the views of a news outlet in where its published.

No, they will still publish it, but only in a narrow band. They would not publish something calling for the removal of the editors and a root and branch reform of the paper and its ideals. They would not publish something saying not only should tehy stop publoshing Transphobic stuff, but that the editorial board should resign and be replaced by people better equipped to deal with the world. Hence a narrow band of dissent.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

No, they will still publish it, but only in a narrow band. They would not publish something calling for the removal of the editors and a root and branch reform of the paper and its ideals. They would not publish something saying not only should tehy stop publoshing Transphobic stuff, but that the editorial board should resign and be replaced by people better equipped to deal with the world. Hence a narrow band of dissent.

:rolleyes: I guess if you want to move the goalposts this far, you got me. But saying that a news outlet won't publish an opinion piece demanding for mass resignation at the company is a hell of an interpretation of

Josef bugman posted:

the Opinion section is still selected within a narrow band of ideas that can be technically opposed to the masthead, but not to the fundamental ideals of the owners.
while saying that public criticism of the company does not fit within this claim...

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 13, 2023

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Kalit posted:

:rolleyes: I guess if you want to move the goalposts this far, you got me. But saying that a news outlet won't publish an opinion piece demanding for mass resignation at the company is a hell of an interpretation of

Okay.

Anyway, what I am trying to lay out is that the idea that there is some sort of well of seperation between editorial and opinion is, at best, a fiction and at worst an outright lie. As has been helpfully proven through you posting an article asking for change and then 1) Not getting any change and 2) Not being able to call out the editors outside of a narrow area.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 13, 2023

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Again, nobody is saying the WSJ editorial is cool and good. Just that they literally are not blaming SVB failing on wokeness and diversity.

The WSJ editorial board thinks SVB and Silicon Valley are bastions of anti-wokeness in a business world gone mad. Even if they believed that wokeness is responsible for 100% of all bank failures, they do not apply that argument here because they consider SVB and Silicon Valley to be anti-woke.

The opinion piece argues that SVB failed because it was too woke. The Editorial board piece thinks it is anti-woke and being punished by radical woke and anti-business ideologues at the FDIC.

The underlying view (that only straight cis white men are competent by default and anyone else is likely unqualified and does nothing but cause problems) is held by both the opinion writer and the WSJ editorial board, regardless of their position on a specific incident

Piell fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 13, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FWIW: The other major right-wing Murdoch newpaper seems to be conflicted on whether SVB was the last bastion of sanity in a world where PC has gone mad that is being punished by the woke Fed or if it was so woke that it was focused on diversity to the point of collapsing its business.

quote:

While Silicon Valley Bank collapsed, top executive pushed ‘woke’ programs

Jay Ersapah, the boss of financial risk management at SVB’s UK branch, launched initiatives such as the company’s first month-long Pride campaign and a new blog emphasizing mental health awareness for LGBTQ+ youth.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/11/silicon-valley-bank-pushed-woke-programs-ahead-of-collapse/

quote:

Collapse of Silicon Valley Bank could alter the course of American innovation: sources

While many are mourning the downfall of an institution that supported the tech industry for decades, others note the economic pain seems to be in line with what the Federal Reserve has wanted to inflict on the economy.

“Jerome Powell got his wish,” one source said.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/11/collapse-of-silicon-valley-bank-could-hurt-american-innovation-sources/

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Anyway, what I am trying to lay out is that the idea that there is some sort of well of seperation between editorial and opinion is, at best, a fiction and at worst an outright lie.
This is false.

Josef bugman posted:

As has been helpfully proven through you posting an article asking for change and then 1) Not getting any change and 2) Not being able to call out the editors outside of a narrow area.
This was never about whether or not opinion pieces are useful at trying to change the environment of a news outlet of where they're published at.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Here's my take: Tech finance fuckers are extremely powerful in politics and media right now and they all kept their poo poo in the same bank and they're worried about losing any money at all so it's a huge story.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kalit posted:

The Grauniad is insanely loving transphobic, and you splitting hairs over the precise degree of their bigotry is tedious as hell

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

The Grauniad is insanely loving transphobic, and you splitting hairs over the precise degree of their bigotry is tedious as hell

Huh? I'm not trying to say anything about how bigoted The Guardian is.

My point is they published an opinion piece that was calling out their own transphobia. Which wouldn't have been published if opinion pieces did reflect the owners/news outlet views.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kalit posted:

Huh? I'm not trying to say anything about how bigoted The Guardian is.

My point is they published an opinion piece that was calling out their own transphobia. Which wouldn't have been published if opinion pieces did reflect the owners/news outlet views.

But that's quite transparently just a strategy of controlled opposition? I guess we've found the audience that works on.

Did you also think that Fox was Fair and Balanced when that dead pencilneck dweeb Alan Colmes was on every night crying tears of liberalism?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I still marvel that not only was this dunce the President of the United States but has been celebrated by his supporters as possibly the most superior human being in history. That he might soon have his hands on the controls again is unsettling.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1635334668341112832?s=20

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

TheDisreputableDog posted:

No, I think people understand that the same group who spent four years lecturing about a pro-rape party and that black lives actually matter turned around and voted for a rapist/cop presidential ticket. As I said, when actual power is up for grabs, progressive dogma becomes fluid.

Yes you have made it abundantly clear that’s your basis for retreating from the notion of things improving ever, but that still does not make it the way the words are used in conservative discourse.

They don’t care that either are rapists in the first place, beyond how it related to their ability or inability to hurt perceived enemies.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I still marvel that not only was this dunce the President of the United States but has been celebrated by his supporters as possibly the most superior human being in history. That he might soon have his hands on the controls again is unsettling.

You know, there might be something the matter with this man.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Did he get some bad news or something? Seems a bit unhinged even for him.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

He's now weak enough that Ron DeSantis looks strong by comparison. I'll be interested to see whether primary voters listen to anyone but Trump at all though.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

cr0y posted:

Maybe too long had passed since there was a news headline or Twitter post about him?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm genuinely surprised that his handlers didn't set up a Potemkin White House for him so he could spend his days in a mock Oval Office generating photo opportunities for the well-heeled freaks.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yes you have made it abundantly clear that’s your basis for retreating from the notion of things improving ever, but that still does not make it the way the words are used in conservative discourse.

They don’t care that either are rapists in the first place, beyond how it related to their ability or inability to hurt perceived enemies.

Again, "we're mad at woke because of the hypocrites, virtue signalers, and those who take it to far" is a lie that's been around for decades.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I didn't realize that Barney Frank is on Signature's board of directors. :stonklol:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Again, "we're mad at woke because of the hypocrites, virtue signalers, and those who take it to far" is a lie that's been around for decades.

But this doesn't invalidate the existence of hypocrisy. I wrote up an incredibly long Slack post that was pretty warmly regarded while our company was being excoriated internally over uplifting Walmart specifically as a "Doer of Good"; the entire thing is pretty long but the very core of it is this:

quote:

Because of Walmart's low compensation practices, many employees require government assistance, use community resources like food banks and free medical clinics, or turn to illicit drugs to replace costly pharmaceuticals - so long as these practices continue, Walmart continues to create inequity. Any measures they take to advertise they engage in [Corporate Social Responsibility] to address inequity are meaningless until they stop creating inequity.

Ceding criticism of "woke" companies ("Socially Responsible" if that's a term you find more palatable) to the right and framing it as a right-wing bugbear takes legitimacy away from criticisms that are founded in truth and good faith because "they sound like the arguments the bad guys are making." it's shallow and thought terminating.

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 13, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Lib and let die posted:

But this doesn't invalidate the existence of hypocrisy. I wrote up an incredibly long Slack post that was pretty warmly regarded while our company was being excoriated internally over uplifting Walmart specifically as a "Doer of Good"; the entire thing is pretty long but the very core of it is this:

Ceding criticism of "woke" companies ("Socially Responsible" if that's a term you find more palatable) to the right and framing it as a right-wing bugbear takes legitimacy away from criticisms that are founded in truth and good faith because "they sound like the arguments the bad guys are making." it's shallow and thought terminating.

This is why the conservative framing works, because they're parroting leftists. They know it's bullshit, just like parroting leftist criticisms of our rapist president matter to them when their rapist president didn't matter much at all.

Nobody said there aren't people to criticize.

You don't need a super long slack post about this. The summary is there are legit criticims of "woke culture" and that conservatives use the existence of legit criticism to pretend that's their lone objection with it, to cover for the fact that they're actual objection is that they are bigots and hate anything that calls them out on their bigotry.

Bigots always keep up on the latest left wing vocab and criticism, they're often quicker to pick up on them than allies.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

This is why the conservative framing works, because they're parroting leftists. They know it's bullshit, just like parroting leftist criticisms of our rapist president matter to them when their rapist president didn't matter much at all.

Nobody said there aren't people to criticize.

You don't need a super long slack post about this. The summary is there are legit criticims of "woke culture" and that conservatives use the existence of legit criticism to pretend that's their lone objection with it, to cover for the fact that they're actual objection is that they are bigots and hate anything that calls them out on their bigotry.

Bigots always keep up on the latest left wing vocab and criticism, they're often quicker to pick up on them than allies.

Yup, we agree on that, but the problem is that when there is rebuttal of the criticism, it's almost never grounded in any of the ideas you or I are discussing here - the mainstream rebuttal is simply an indication that anti-wokeness is pro-bigotry and this drives the behavior of the American lumpenprole - your average local news watcher shouting "Cuba Libre!" with nothing more than a vague, institutionally-instilled understanding that Cuba = Socialist = Communist = BAD (and the digression into how Capitalists drive pro-Capital ideas into both public and private schools is a topic worthy of its own discussion but I think it's pretty non-controversial to say in an overbroad sense that Capitalists printing school books covering the political ideologies of nations the US has traditionally has had aggressive relations with is worth scrutiny if nothing else) are going to see it as "well there's the bad guys (anti-woke) and the good guys (social responsibility) and that's all I need to know because MyFOX7 at 10 has all the news I need to know!"

We need to have the conversations about why CSR is just a window dressing on wage slavery, but they're not going to happen in any of the mainstream outlets that have the media presence to meaningfully push back against right-wing framing.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Papers publish opinion pieces that they don't agree with all the time. The Editorial is the "official" opinion of the Newspaper's staff and opinion pieces frequently disagree with the editorial stance.

The phrase "Op-Ed" literally comes from "Opposite the Editorial" and was originally where they published exclusively opinion pieces that disagreed with the Editorial stance of the paper to provide "balance" to the Editorial section.

While this is true, Andy Kessler is a regular contributor to the WSJ's Opinion section, writing several pieces a month for them in his own dedicated column. Much like the NYT's Bret Stephens, it reflects on the WSJ's editorial policy that they feel the need to give a dedicated column to an ultra-conservative who's constantly complaining about the wokes and the gays.

And those pieces are usually either dumb as hell (for example, predicting that game consoles will be obsolete in ten years because we'll all play games directly on our smart TVs instead) or angry conservative rants about how Biden is a crony for the woke scolds destroying America.

For example, here's an article of his from just last month, in which he proclaims that MAGAism is a wholly understandable backlash by the silent majority against the nanny-state thought police who want to take away the freedom to be racist.

quote:

The Voting Bloc Against Bossiness
The Dontells don’t want to be told what to think, what to say, or what to do.

Meet the Dontells, sure to be a political force in the next few elections. Their mantra is simple: Don’t tell me what to do, hence the name. Their telltale sign is an obvious case of ODD. What’s that? Oppositional defiant disorder, which, according to Johns Hopkins Medicine, is a behavior disorder, often in children who “are uncooperative, defiant, and hostile toward peers, parents, teachers, and other authority figures.” Yeah, I’ve got that.

Also add: Don’t tell me what to say, to think, to pay. Backlash was inevitable against the metastatic absurdity. Use only paper straws. Don’t tell me what to do. You can’t say “master bedroom” anymore. Oh yes I can. That 6-foot-tall dude winning all the NCAA women’s swimming meets is really a woman. I don’t think so. Every threat is existential. Maybe to you. No abortions ever. What? Your taxes pay people not to work. Make it stop!

Tea partiers and red-hatted MAGA supporters pushed back against Obama-era bossiness. They didn’t want high taxes to pay for open-border welfare, gun confiscation or being woke poked. Heck, they even supported a blundering bloviator for president. That’s how desperate their Dontell dedication was. Note, there is a fine distinction between the Doncares (I don’t care), the Leavmis (leave me alone), and the Dontells. The first two groups rarely vote. But Dontells vote in droves, on both sides of the aisle.

Amazingly, the whole Dontell thing still comes as a huge surprise to self-important city dwellers on both coasts. Yes, most big-city progressives like to be dominated and enjoy being told what to do. Walk/Don’t Walk. Mind the gap. Wait in long lines. Alternate-side-of-the-street parking regulations. Calorie counts in doughnut shops. Confiscatory taxes. New York’s (unconstitutional) ban on large sodas. San Francisco’s ban on Happy Meals. The seemingly mandatory use of words such as “positionality” and “performative” in conversation.

Liberals, implied in the name, say they are for freedom, but are they? The progressive wing is full of authoritarians telling others what to do or how to think: America is a racist country. Wear a mask. Limit charter schools. Bees are fish (in California). “A drag queen for every school” (Michigan’s attorney general promises). ESG. CRT. DEI. I could go on. Meanwhile, Dontells are fed up with submission.

Elon Musk, who tweets about a “woke mind virus,” became a card-carrying Dontell in 2020 when California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s lockdowns closed his Tesla factories. He eventually moved Tesla’s headquarters to Texas. Last year 340,000 others left California. I would bet most are Dontells.

So far, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is a Dontell hero—he checks all the boxes. He got rid of lockdowns and mask mandates. He stood up to Disney’s pushback against a law requiring classroom discussions of sex to be age-appropriate. The state still levies no income tax. His appeal, I think, is that he wants voters to make up their own minds about what to say or do.

There is going to be a fight for Dontell swing voters in 2024. In 2021 then-Gov. Doug Ducey said, “Arizona does not allow mask mandates, vaccine mandates, vaccine passports or discrimination in schools based on who is or isn’t vaccinated.” Pity he was term-limited. Dontells piled on to support Glenn Youngkin after his Virginia gubernatorial opponent, Terry McAuliffe, said, “I don’t think parents should be telling schools what they should teach.”

Stanford University provided a list of forbidden words with its Elimination of Harmful Language Initiative. C’mon man. Sorry, I mean: C’mon person. Corporate America also plays along. In 1992 we had Rockette Barbie and U.S. Presidential candidate Barbie. Pretty cool. For 2022, Mattel introduced Chief Sustainability Officer Barbie, part of its “Eco-Leadership Team” line of “certified CarbonNeutral® products.” Don’t tell me what to think!

Many Dontells rally around the yellow Gadsden flag with its coiled rattlesnake and declaration “Don’t Tread on Me.” In 2016 a controversy raged over whether the Gadsden flag was racist. Really? There’s that insulting implicit bias again. Dontells hate the thought police.

It’s about freedom. Are Dontells libertarians? Not necessarily. There is a deeper psychology of freedom that runs through society, way beyond Ayn Rand fanatics or Cato Institute donors or even crypto-crazies. This is especially true in Silicon Valley, even though its residents won’t admit it. Disruption almost by definition is not listening to what others tell you to do.

We no longer live in a nanny state, but a bossy state. You must express the prevailing opinion or face mockery. Do this, don’t do that. Instead, let’s eliminate ODD in our lifetime. The Dontells’ philosophy is simple: How about you live your life, and I’ll live mine. Don’t tell me what to do, say, think or pay. Oh yeah, and don’t tread on me . . . because I vote.

Write to kessler@wsj.com.

"Economic anxiety" was a bullshit narrative, but at least it was better than a guy who appears to be the elemental incarnation of pure boomer rants. The WSJ thinks we need to hear from this guy literally every week?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Lib and let die posted:

Yup, we agree on that, but the problem is that when there is rebuttal of the criticism, it's almost never grounded in any of the ideas you or I are discussing here - the mainstream rebuttal is simply an indication that anti-wokeness is pro-bigotry and this drives the behavior of the American lumpenprole - your average local news watcher shouting "Cuba Libre!" with nothing more than a vague, institutionally-instilled understanding that Cuba = Socialist = Communist = BAD (and the digression into how Capitalists drive pro-Capital ideas into both public and private schools is a topic worthy of its own discussion but I think it's pretty non-controversial to say in an overbroad sense that Capitalists printing school books covering the political ideologies of nations the US has traditionally has had aggressive relations with is worth scrutiny if nothing else) are going to see it as "well there's the bad guys (anti-woke) and the good guys (social responsibility) and that's all I need to know because MyFOX7 at 10 has all the news I need to know!"

We need to have the conversations about why CSR is just a window dressing on wage slavery, but they're not going to happen in any of the mainstream outlets that have the media presence to meaningfully push back against right-wing framing.

This conversation is in regards to one of the most vocal conservatives in the thread making this argument.

If you'd like to have this conversation about Cuba or whatever, sure, but contextually you're just bridging the existing conversation into what you want to have the conversation about.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

This conversation is in regards to one of the most vocal conservatives in the thread making this argument.

If you'd like to have this conversation about Cuba or whatever, sure, but contextually you're just bridging the existing conversation into what you want to have the conversation about.

I'm refuting this:

Jaxyon posted:

It is not a lie, it is demonstrably provable that it is nothing more than advertising a sense of social responsibility - but your statement here above doesn't leave any room for that. Walmart claiming social responsibility while paying workers $8.00/hr is advertising. It is a lie. It it hypocrisy.

E: and as an extra twist of the knife, corporate social responsibility is often profitable for the companies that engage in it due to various tax incentives associated with it!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cr0y posted:

Yeah. He was invited to testify in front of a grand jury regarding the hush money payments to Stormy Daniels. While he's allowed to turn down this invitation, the punditry says the fact that he got that invitation suggests he's likely to be indicted.
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1635260320343048193

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Lib and let die posted:

It is not a lie, it is demonstrably provable that it is nothing more than advertising a sense of social responsibility - but your statement here above doesn't leave any room for that. Walmart claiming social responsibility while paying workers $8.00/hr is advertising. It is a lie. It it hypocrisy.

It's a lie when conservatives say it, which is usually who's saying it, and the context in which I was making that statement.

Again, you want to talk in the context of accurate leftist criticism, when that's not who I was replying to. If that's what you want to talk about, cool. Good for you. I don't disagree with you on the criticisms.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

cr0y posted:

Michael Cohen also testified today in the grand jury mentioned just above.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

I'm refuting this:

E: and as an extra twist of the knife, corporate social responsibility is often profitable for the companies that engage in it due to various tax incentives associated with it!

It's true that corporations are hypocrites, but that's not why conservatives are mad at "woke." They'd be mad at corporations for being "woke" even if the corporations weren't being hypocrites and actually, genuinely supported those things (obviously they never will, but the point is that it's a post-hoc justifications by conservatives to pretend they aren't just being regressive). It's obviously a legitimate criticism to make from the left that corporations are green/rainbow/pink/etc washing these issues and just doing it because they think pretending to care will make them more money.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Main Paineframe posted:

While this is true, Andy Kessler is a regular contributor to the WSJ's Opinion section, writing several pieces a month for them in his own dedicated column. Much like the NYT's Bret Stephens, it reflects on the WSJ's editorial policy that they feel the need to give a dedicated column to an ultra-conservative who's constantly complaining about the wokes and the gays.

And those pieces are usually either dumb as hell (for example, predicting that game consoles will be obsolete in ten years because we'll all play games directly on our smart TVs instead) or angry conservative rants about how Biden is a crony for the woke scolds destroying America.

For example, here's an article of his from just last month, in which he proclaims that MAGAism is a wholly understandable backlash by the silent majority against the nanny-state thought police who want to take away the freedom to be racist.

"Economic anxiety" was a bullshit narrative, but at least it was better than a guy who appears to be the elemental incarnation of pure boomer rants. The WSJ thinks we need to hear from this guy literally every week?

Do you understand the difference between an op-ed and an article? Do you understand why it's a problem to pass off an op-ed as an article?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

Yup, we agree on that, but the problem is that when there is rebuttal of the criticism, it's almost never grounded in any of the ideas you or I are discussing here - the mainstream rebuttal is simply an indication that anti-wokeness is pro-bigotry and this drives the behavior of the American lumpenprole

That’s literally the argument Jaxyon just made :D

But regardless, “only sinners would call out the hypocrisy of the church” is as illiberal as it gets. Every blackface wearing governor, rapist lieutenant governor, or oops-I-don’t-know-antiseptic-tropes congressperson you let off the hook because they’re on your side ends up undermining the entire progressive worldview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Discendo Vox posted:

Do you understand the difference between an op-ed and an article? Do you understand why it's a problem to pass off an op-ed as an article?

What do you think the important and relevanr differences are between an op-ed and an article? Especially in this specific situation, but also in general.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 14, 2023