Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

It would be great if someone in this thread will ever respond to something I actually wrote instead of arguing against the strawmen you are used to arguing against in the great OS fanboy wars. Complete with the "akshually, the command line is great and user-friendly for normies!" derail.
I'm curious where you've seen someone saying that the commandline is great for everyone.
So far as I can see, the commandline is being recommended when people are trying to do things that a poweruser would be doing.

EDIT: Even if I'm a poweruser and haven't had to help non-computer touchers in more than half a decade, I've heard plenty of stories.
As an example, take Jim Salter over at Ars. His mom runs Linux, as a regular average user and is, reportedly, completely happy with it.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Network share mounting as user is not insurmountable in that way.
I just checked the kde thing I use to manage and mount removable drives as user, and I was honestly surprised that there wasn't a button to mount a network drive there.
The button to mount a network drive through a gui exists of course in Krusader and many other file managers.

Actually the description of the windows experience sounds strange to me. I haven't updated my windows knowledge in some time, and thus mount network drives through the file manager just like I would on linux (if I hadn't learned fstab long ago).
And finding that easier option that the op alluded to is not actually easy without being up to date on your windows power user knowledge.
And I am not sure if asking that question in some rear end in a top hat space for people being assholes about windows would get me a non-rear end in a top hat answer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The command line is great because you can cut and paste commands from a web page. Can't do that with an image of a gui. :v:

For best effect do it blindly so you can have fun wondering why it destroyed your system.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Klyith posted:

My dude you're arguing with strawmen yourself. I don't think that post was celebrating the pain points. It was acknowledging the pain points exist and asking why someone would do linux if they weren't ready to do some effort rather than get frustrated and bitch on twitter at the first hurdle. I mean, I've seen plenty of people say "linux is better now" (I've said it myself), but never "linux is easy and problem-free".

Which is also a kinda stupid question: probably they need it for a job or some practical purpose. A gamedev might want a system to help make games ready for steamdeck or something.

Nobody said that it's a good thing. It's unfortunate. But it's not linux's fault that he used an old imager that doesn't support UEFI properly. (It is unetbootin's fault that they don't prominently say "this software doesn't support UEFI" at the top of their page in big font.)

"Linux should be just as easy to use as Windows" is a false premise. Windows isn't easy, you're just used to it through many years of gradual learning. Just ask anyone who has only ever used Macs. I don't find a command line hostile and alien-- not because I'm a nerd, because I'm over forty. Today's kids don't know what files are.

quote:

To me, if you aren't kind of infatuated with the idea of your daily computing being lowkey annoying some days and highkey frustrating on others + the idea of searching around for solutions or hacking poo poo together sometimes doesn't sound fun to you then why are these people even trying to install linux in the first place?

This sounds like spinning it as a positive to me, I guess we'll need to agree to disagree.

And "Windows should be easy to use as Linux" is in fact a strawman, since I never even said that. One of the posts I quoted supporting the above quote said "works out of the box like Windows," which made me laugh, but I didn't say it. I brought up the SMB share example to illustrate a different point about the different types of feedback new users might have, and that has made all of your heads explode like Scanners guy.

quote:

So your example of mapping a drive is unintentionally pretty much the ideal case for "sucks on linux for reasons that are hard to fix". The problem is that fstab *is* the way to mount drives at the system level. An automated tool to write new entries needs to be both bulletproof and make some important decisions that are more complicated than "pick a drive letter". There is some irreducible complexity that doesn't exist on windows.

Meanwhile, most GUI tools in your desktop environment are doing things at the user level. It would be pretty easy to have a GUI to mount a network share into a user mount location, same as removable storage is handled. But that's kinda useless -- 90% of the time if you want a network share permanently mounted, it's at the system level. If you only care about user desktop level just add it to your KDE Places / Gnome Favorites.

And then you get into the network shares most people are using being SMB, which isn't native on linux. A GUI button for mounting NFS shares would be far easier to have, but totally useless for people who need a GUI button. I doubt you've have been happy with that. So nobody bothers.

The GUI button on Windows can't mount a NFS share. Seriously, google mount nfs share windows. Is it any different?

It's cracking me up that two replies have brought up NFS shares on Windows, like they have to defend Linux' honor point-by-point, or that it matters at all. I just brought up an example (mounting an SMB share) of one thing that's probably easier for a clueless new user to do on Windows than it is on Linux, as an example, not as proof of Windows' superiority. If it will soothe your FOSS soul, I'll say that for a Linux person switching to Windows, they will be wondering why Windows users are not pointing them to centralized software repositories to install/update their software, even though they are actually available.

And I'm not sure why it's technically impossible to have a GUI tool that can give sudo access that basically maps changes to fstab, with fields to fill in and comforting tooltips explaining what needs to be entered in, rather than reinventing the wheel with a whole new solution. If the answer is that anyone who need to do this in the first place are power users who don't have any issue with editing config files, that's fair enough. Although I will point out that I don't think I really needed to mount it on a system level rather than my particular user, but Plex Server libraries can't be pointed to folders that don't exist within the standard filesystem hierarchy, so that's the reason why I had to create a permanent mount point, despite being able to add the share as a bookmark in my file manager like you mentioned. I don't know if that is just a Plex issue, and it should be relatively painless for programs to be able to access network shares even if they aren't permanently mounted that way.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I vaguely remember that Yast used to be able to write the fstab from a gui configuration, the way you seem to want.

I assume that there is no current tool to do that, because almost nobody needs that. Most people being satisfied with mounting network drives as user, or being satisfied with writing the line into fstab manually.

Especially as the move towards network manager and wlan and such makes it increasingly more likely that a computer isn't connected to the network before the user logs in.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Part of the problem these days is that /etc/fstab is arguably vestigial. systemd-fstab-generator converts it to mount unit files, so any comprehensive GUI for dealing with static mounts would also need to track those too.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Quixzlizx posted:

It would be great if someone in this thread will ever respond to something I actually wrote instead of arguing against the strawmen you are used to arguing against in the great OS fanboy wars.
It's rich that you accuse folks in this thread of representing the toxic aspects of the Linux community, but your post history suggests you're the one occasionally barging into this thread with a chip on your shoulder when trying to get help with your Plex server.

That was my entire point. If you engage with this thread in a friendly and inquisitive manner you'll generally get helpful and supportive responses. But if you engage in this thread with accusations and attitude, I'm not sure what you really expect to get in response.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's rich that you accuse folks in this thread of representing the toxic aspects of the Linux community, but your post history suggests you're the one occasionally barging into this thread with a chip on your shoulder when trying to get help with your Plex server.

That was my entire point. If you engage with this thread in a friendly and inquisitive manner you'll generally get helpful and supportive responses. But if you engage in this thread with accusations and attitude, I'm not sure what you really expect to get in response.

I was perfectly polite in my initial encounter with this thread until people started telling me that I was doing Linux wrong by wanting to have XRDP available on a server, or to even have a DE installed on a server. I wasn't asking for opinions on my use case, I was asking specific technical questions. And I did appreciate the people who actually tried to help me, rather than the people who just wanted to condescendingly editorialize.

I guess the difference is toxic Linux users genuinely believe that the latter IS being helpful.

And my initial post in this tangent was incredibly mild, and had no actual criticism of Linux itself in there (bringing up one minor pain point as an example of a hypothetical new user troubleshooting issue doesn't count) and then people (including yourself) instantly got defensive and started smug posting about the Microsoft Store and NFS shares to own me and Windows.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Quixzlizx posted:

This sounds like spinning it as a positive to me, I guess we'll need to agree to disagree.

Yeah I am pretty sure that is supposed to be sarcastic irony. I've linked this cartoon several times to express how much I've learned while running an arch-derived rolling release distro (ie, not the most stable choice). It that spinning a negative as a positive? Um, maybe, but mostly it's heavy irony about my own choices.

Quixzlizx posted:

And "Windows should be easy to use as Linux" is in fact a strawman, since I never even said that. One of the posts I quoted supporting the above quote said "works out of the box like Windows," which made me laugh, but I didn't say it. I brought up the SMB share example to illustrate a different point about the different types of feedback new users might have, and that has made all of your heads explode like Scanners guy.

You accused people of being insular and hostile, which is a really great way to provoke insular and hostile responses.

Also right now you're arguing with someone who has 17 pages of posts in the Win10 thread and 10 in the general windows one. The majority of which are answering other people's questions about how to do x y or z. So like, if you want to call someone unhelpful or a FOSS zealot, you can gently caress right off.

Quixzlizx posted:

It's cracking me up that two replies have brought up NFS shares on Windows, like they have to defend Linux' honor point-by-point, or that it matters at all. I just brought up an example (mounting an SMB share) of one thing that's probably easier for a clueless new user to do on Windows than it is on Linux, as an example, not as proof of Windows' superiority. If it will soothe your FOSS soul, I'll say that for a Linux person switching to Windows, they will be wondering why Windows users are not pointing them to centralized software repositories to install/update their software, even though they are actually available.

Ok, do you have a second example?

Quixzlizx posted:

And I'm not sure why it's technically impossible to have a GUI tool that can give sudo access that basically maps changes to fstab, with fields to fill in and comforting tooltips explaining what needs to be entered in, rather than reinventing the wheel with a whole new solution.

So if you read my post and drew the conclusion "technically impossible", you have some reading comprehension issues. I said it was complicated, and very hard to reduce to easy comforting tooltips. The defaults for fstab is that if a mount is unavailable at boot, you get dumped to a recovery login prompt. Which is not very user-friendly.

But in general, the answer for "why isn't there a GUI tool for x y and z" is because nobody's written one, dev time is finite, and command line apps are much faster and more maintainable. It's a known failure of linux, nothing you're saying is turning on a giant lightbulb above anyone's head.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Quixzlizx posted:

I was perfectly polite in my initial encounter with this thread until people started telling me that I was doing Linux wrong by wanting to have XRDP available on a server, or to even have a DE installed on a server. I wasn't asking for opinions on my use case, I was asking specific technical questions. And I did appreciate the people who actually tried to help me, rather than the people who just wanted to condescendingly editorialize.
I remember the XRDP conversation (and I looked it up too). Nobody was being condescending. There were some thread regulars that suggested as part of their advice that XRDP likely was going to be more of a headache than it was worth, and you attacked them for being patronizing. They were just sharing their opinions based on their own experiences and past headaches.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm not suggesting that anyone ITT has said this exact thing, but "I'm a user, I deserve to have developers with limited free time spend it by volunteering to fix something that is important to me" is an all-too-common refrain for any opensource project, and it's probably the #1 source of burn-out.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I remember the XRDP conversation (and I looked it up too). Nobody was being condescending. There were some thread regulars that suggested as part of their advice that XRDP likely was going to be more of a headache than it was worth, and you attacked them for being patronizing. They were just sharing their opinions based on their own experiences and past headaches.

I just reread it, and none of my posts were hostile or defensive at all until this post:

RFC2324 posted:

My bad, nomachine.

And I am just telling you, adding a remote gui is adding extra layers of complexity that aren't worth it if it can be avoided. I'm not here to sell you on the os, take it leave it, but be realistic about the amout of cli level janitoring it requires. I use opensuse because it has ncurses guis for alot of stuff to simply organization, but no matter what you are going to need to be comfortable (not necessarily proficient) on the command line, so if you are just not gonna deal with that then yeah, use something less server oriented.

Implying that I was refusing to use the command line at all and that I should give up on having a Linux server if I was going to refuse to use it. When I had already posted about the troubleshooting I had done in the terminal to try and get XRDP working in the first place.

And then my reply was replied to with:

RFC2324 posted:

Sorry, "if I can't have a GUI then I dont want it" is a but misleading then.

Good luck!

And then I made my actual rear end in a top hat post in response to this rear end in a top hat post, which was also quoting the above one:

Methanar posted:

I don't think you actually want to use linux tbh.

The problems you're having now will never go away.

It's amazing you read through all of that and came away with "Why is this person being randomly aggressive in our very peaceful Linux thread?" My other dozen posts while troubleshooting were completely polite and grateful to the posters attempting to help me, and I was also polite to RFC224 until they started with "use the command line or GTFO." Weirdly enough, misattributing statements to me I didn't make, much like what's happening at the moment.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Quixzlizx posted:

And then I made my actual rear end in a top hat post in response to this rear end in a top hat post, which was also quoting the above one:
RFC didn't make an "rear end in a top hat post". She genuinely wished you luck!

Quixzlizx posted:

It's amazing you read through all of that and came away with "Why is this person being randomly aggressive in our very peaceful Linux thread?" My other dozen posts while troubleshooting were completely polite and grateful to the posters attempting to help me, and I was also polite to RFC224 until they started with "use the command line or GTFO." Weirdly enough, misattributing statements to me I didn't make, much like what's happening at the moment.
She didn't say ... ah gently caress, just look at this. This is the problem:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 13, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I think Quixzlizx is just running up against the wall that is as a top-five company in the tech industry, Microsoft-has-a-literal-license-to-print-money-and-fund-development-for-all-their-lossleaders, which is something that no opensource project (not even Linux, which is at this point funded and developed almost exclusively by corporations) can match in terms of polish.
And considering how much Microsoft gets wrong, it's a testament to how good of a job opensource developers do do (heh).

Nevermind the fact that most of a Linux distro doesn't consist of code from the kernel - which accounts for about 33 million lines of code. The rest of the ~85 million lines of code that's used by something like Debian come from all the anscilary software, and most of that software is developed by much smaller teams compared even with Linux.
For comparison, Microsoft is reputed (based on leaks and other sources) to be working on over 110 million lines of code for a modern version of Windows.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

RFC didn't make an "rear end in a top hat post". He genuinely wished you luck!
I'm not sure that's the correct pronoun.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 13, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm not sure that's the correct pronoun.
Sorry!

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

RFC didn't make an "rear end in a top hat post". She genuinely wished you luck!

lmao, this has to be a troll. And I said the post quoting that one was the rear end in a top hat post, but I'm actually laughing out loud if that's your genuine interpretation of the post you quoted.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I think Quixzlizx is just running up against the wall that is as a top-five company in the tech industry, Microsoft-has-a-literal-license-to-print-money-and-fund-development-for-all-their-lossleaders, which is something that no opensource project (not even Linux, which is at this point funded and developed almost exclusively by corporations) can match in terms of polish.
And considering how much Microsoft gets wrong, it's a testament to how good of a job opensource developers do do (heh).

There is no wall, if you look at my original post in this tangent, I was bringing up mapping network shares as a potential pain point for new users as part of a discussion of how to react to new users asking for help/making criticisms (whether justifiable or not). The replies took this as an attack on Linux and derailed the conversation to that specific statement in my post, so I explained what I thought might be an easier to use UI for a new user. I was able to edit the fstab without issue, that was nothing close to a deal-breaker for me. (Edit: The initial issue for me was that I had to go down a Google rabbit hole of "How to get Plex server to recognize network shares in Linux" searches because I didn't even know what the problem was to start with, since my file explorer was able to recognize the share. Eventually I found a post on the Plex forums that explained what I had to do, and I did it with no issue, but I wouldn't say that was a new user-friendly way of discovering the solution).

People are conflating what I personally need and feel entitled to in my workflow and what I perceive would be a useful GUI utility for users who would rather minimize their interaction with the command line.

And also bringing up incredibly relevant information like "WELL, ONLY POWER USERS CAN MOUNT NFS SHARES IN WINDOWS," because my OP was obviously the opening salvo in a Microsoft raid on the SA Linux thread, when it had absolutely nothing to do with comparing the relative quality or ease-of-use of different operating systems.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 13, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I seriously have to ask? Does that hypothetical person in who's name you get mad at "the linux community" actually exist?
That is someone who put in the effort to find out how to mount a network share on windows and how to install plex on linux, including the advanced knowledge of figuring out that plex doesn't like fuser mounts, but has trouble figuring out fstab.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Heyo, you've generally escalated the hostility way more yourself than other people have been hostile to you. The first several posts I replied to you with were discussion. No more, no less.

The last one was not, but that's because you're being a poo poo.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Quixzlizx posted:

lmao, this has to be a troll. And I said the post quoting that one was the rear end in a top hat post, but I'm actually laughing out loud if that's your genuine interpretation of the post you quoted.

There is no wall, if you look at my original post in this tangent, I was bringing up mapping network shares as a potential pain point for new users as part of a discussion of how to react to new users asking for help/making criticisms (whether justifiable or not). The replies took this as an attack on Linux and derailed the conversation to that specific statement in my post, so I explained what I thought might be an easier to use UI for a new user. I was able to edit the fstab without issue, that was nothing close to a deal-breaker for me. (Edit: The initial issue for me was that I had to go down a Google rabbit hole of "How to get Plex server to recognize network shares in Linux" searches because I didn't even know what the problem was to start with, since my file explorer was able to recognize the share. Eventually I found a post on the Plex forums that explained what I had to do, and I did it with no issue, but I wouldn't say that was a new user-friendly way of discovering the solution).

People are conflating what I personally need and feel entitled to in my workflow and what I perceive would be a useful GUI utility for users who would rather minimize their interaction with the command line.

And also bringing up incredibly relevant information like "WELL, ONLY POWER USERS CAN MOUNT NFS SHARES IN WINDOWS," because my OP was obviously the opening salvo in a Microsoft raid on the SA Linux thread, when it had absolutely nothing to do with comparing the relative quality or ease-of-use of different operating systems.

You seem really upset about this.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Klyith posted:

Heyo, you've generally escalated the hostility way more yourself than other people have been hostile to you. The first several posts I replied to you with were discussion. No more, no less.

The last one was not, but that's because you're being a poo poo.

I will concede defeat and withdraw gracefully if you can explain to me how this post, which was in response to someone commenting on someone on Twitter complaining about their issues and saying that if they didn't want to spend time troubleshooting, why do they even want to use Linux? (FWIW, I agree it's not "Linux''" fault that Twitter person is unable to correctly create a bootable iso), and then a second response saying that you can't expect Linux to work out of the box like Windows (I DIDN'T SAY THIS, IT WASN'T ME, HOLD YOUR FIRE):

Quixzlizx posted:

Isn't wanting and/or believing that the product should only be accessible to tinkerers and hobbyists the definition of insular?

There's a difference between "Why do I have to do x instead of y like in Windows?" and "Why do I have to do x, y, and z when normies should really only have to do x?"

An example of the first type of question would be "Why can't I just download and install .exes?," an example of the second would be "Why do I need to go into the terminal and manually edit fstab instead of having an easy GUI button to permanently map network drives?"

has any relevance to whether or not Windows has software repositories or can gracefully handle NFS shares, other than reflexive defensiveness. Putting aside how much of a jerk you think I was or was not in later posts, I hope you can see how if a new Linux user asked why there isn't a GUI for mounting SMB shares, and the response was "WELL, WINDOWS CAN'T HANDLE NFS SHARES," that response would be closer to the toxic and unhelpful end of the spectrum than the useful and welcoming end.

And the hilarious part was I wasn't even personally complaining about it in the post, I just used it as an example of something a new user might have trouble with (because I had to go down a Google rabbit hole to resolve the issue myself).

Seriously, please tell me how this response to my post, in context, makes any sense whatsoever:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389159&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=934#post530423329

And things went downhill from there. I did get aggravated that somehow the discussion turned into me trying to start an OS slapfight, when it was the people responding to me who were doing so.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Quixzlizx posted:

and then a second response saying that you can't expect Linux to work out of the box like Windows (I DIDN'T SAY THIS, IT WASN'T ME, HOLD YOUR FIRE):

Am I a cause of this slapfight?

I shouldn't have said that, then. A lot of distros do work just fine out of the box; Mint certainly did when I switched to Linux last year. If you're new to Linux you probably shouldn't pull a Linus Tech Tips and wade right into using something like Arch or Gentoo anyway.

What I meant and didn't express clearly is this: the use case of Windows and Linux tend to be different. Windows is designed for your average "normie" (I hate that term, but it fits) who may not know much about computing but just need something that works. Linux can be used that way too, but the reason techier people tend to like it is that it gives you control over your system so that customize your system - even when you end up tweaking something that fucks up your computer.

But at the same time, there are things like driver issues that make the switch to Linux harder than they would be on Windows or Mac.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Am I a cause of this slapfight?

I shouldn't have said that, then. A lot of distros do work just fine out of the box; Mint certainly did when I switched to Linux last year. If you're new to Linux you probably shouldn't pull a Linus Tech Tips and wade right into using something like Arch or Gentoo anyway.

What I meant and didn't express clearly is this: the use case of Windows and Linux tend to be different. Windows is designed for your average "normie" (I hate that term, but it fits) who may not know much about computing but just need something that works. Linux can be used that way too, but the reason techier people tend to like it is that it gives you control over your system so that customize your system - even when you end up tweaking something that fucks up your computer.

But at the same time, there are things like driver issues that make the switch to Linux harder than they would be on Windows or Mac.

No, you're fine.

But LTT actually attempted to use PopOS, which is a pretty normie gaming-focused distro. It blew up on him because (this is vaguely right, but I can't claim to know the exact details) the ISO on the PopOS website had an out-of-date package listing compared to the online repository, so Steam wouldn't install (with no useful feedback in the apt front-end he was using). So then he went and Googled with a little bit of dangerous knowledge, and went into the command line, ignored the "YOU WILL DESTROY EVERYTHING IF YOU DO THIS" message and uninstalled the conflicting dependencies... which included his DE.

Edit: Maybe in the context of this conversation, the OS should strongly recommend/demand an update/upgrade/reboot cycle after installation.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 13, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what the actual hell people

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I'm new to SH/SC. Am I allowed to emptyquote?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Quixzlizx posted:

Seriously, please tell me how this response to my post, in context, makes any sense whatsoever:

The important part is this:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's when people presume "the Windows way" is canonical and correct and anything else is deviant and weird that people get snippy.
and then his counters about package managers and NFS are showing the futility and unreasonableness of reversing that presumption and a linux user asking why windows doesn't do things the linux way.

Both of your questions are presuming the windows way is the normal default. You intended the first one to be silly and the second to be reasonable, but neither are reasonable. "Why isn't there a GUI to do ____" isn't a very useful question to ask a bunch of people who aren't responsible for the absence of said GUI. Like, what do you expect the answer to be? "Oh certainly sir, I can't believe we overlooked that! One GUI button coming right up!"

OTOH both of those questions can be actually interesting questions, if asked in non-hostile and open phrasing. (Which can be hard in text, and might need some preamble stating that you want to learn why linux does things a certain way.)

Like, why can't you just download and run exes? Well, you could if you wanted. Nobody does, they use package managers, for some reasons with real depth. The differences in how linux and windows handle dependency conflict have a lot to do with it.

I tried to divert that by explaining some of why a GUI tool for mounting a network share in fstab is not a simple request, but you read it as the linux defense force. That's on you. You didn't really want to learn, you wanted to be mad.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Quixzlizx posted:

Klyith posted:

The important part is this: ... and then his counters about package managers and NFS are showing the futility and unreasonableness of reversing that presumption and a linux user asking why windows doesn't do things the linux way.
Yeah that was my post, and this was the intended interpretation of it.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Klyith posted:

The important part is this:

and then his counters about package managers and NFS are showing the futility and unreasonableness of reversing that presumption and a linux user asking why windows doesn't do things the linux way.

Both of your questions are presuming the windows way is the normal default. You intended the first one to be silly and the second to be reasonable, but neither are reasonable. "Why isn't there a GUI to do ____" isn't a very useful question to ask a bunch of people who aren't responsible for the absence of said GUI. Like, what do you expect the answer to be? "Oh certainly sir, I can't believe we overlooked that! One GUI button coming right up!"

OTOH both of those questions can be actually interesting questions, if asked in non-hostile and open phrasing. (Which can be hard in text, and might need some preamble stating that you want to learn why linux does things a certain way.)

Like, why can't you just download and run exes? Well, you could if you wanted. Nobody does, they use package managers, for some reasons with real depth. The differences in how linux and windows handle dependency conflict have a lot to do with it.

I tried to divert that by explaining some of why a GUI tool for mounting a network share in fstab is not a simple request, but you read it as the linux defense force. That's on you. You didn't really want to learn, you wanted to be mad.

I never claimed they were the correct default, I claimed they might be the default perspective from someone who hasn't used Linux before. I would make the same post in a Windows thread where a Linux user who has to use Windows for work or whatever is getting frustrated about the opposite. And it's not a reasonable expectation for someone to expect "the community" to code up a solution, but I don't think it's unreasonable to point out paint points from converts, so "the community" at least knows what is tripping them up. The reason why I had those two questions in different categories is because the first is a significant philosophical and functional difference that a new user is going to have to adapt to. While with the second, if someone was able to snap their fingers and provide that functionality, I don't think it would be rejected because "that's not how Linux does it," it's more of a RoI issue, so at that point it's how many people care about it, in which case people bringing it up (or not bringing it up) would be valuable. And I wasn't claiming that there are millions of people shaking their fists at their inoperable Plex servers, I only used that as an example since I personally ran into it. At the very least, the discoverability of the solution wasn't the best, and while a lot of that is due to fragmentation + dependence on volunteer work + command line having a lower "stumble around in the interface until you find the right button" level of discoverability than GUI, it does exist as in issue.

And I didn't have a problem with you explaining why it was technically difficult, I had a problem with the entire derail to start with, since my post wasn't a personal crusade to get an fstab GUI client, but people got laser-focused on that like the point of my post was to point out Linux' deficiencies, when it clearly had nothing to do with OS quality.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

for real

i can't believe no one's yet answered the very important question i posted in the previous page

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I am trying to generalize from your examples, as you seem to not want to talk about them any-more. Is this a fair summation of the points you are trying to imply with your rambling?
You think that the main problems with linux are:
1) Nobody is maintaining a GUI that nobody uses. Even though you can imagine a person that could use it.
2) Nobody putting outdated FAQs about linux trivia into their twitter handle. Even though the questions were actually frequently asked 20 years ago.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

cruft posted:

I'm new to SH/SC. Am I allowed to emptyquote?

In principle no in practice yes

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Both at work and at home, I have machines with a ton of RAM but using network storage that is better at continuous reads rather than low latency IOPS. When I've needed random read access to a file, I've found that it's much faster to start a "cat /path/thefile > /dev/null" as I start accessing it to get the whole file into page cache. This feels like a terrible hack, is there a better way to tell the OS that I want a whole file preloaded into page cache to better consolidate reads?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Storm One posted:

for real

i can't believe no one's yet answered the very important question i posted in the previous page

I think you'll find if you read the manual the solution is obvious :smuggo:

I have never heard of this before and have no idea, sorry

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Both at work and at home, I have machines with a ton of RAM but using network storage that is better at continuous reads rather than low latency IOPS. When I've needed random read access to a file, I've found that it's much faster to start a "cat /path/thefile > /dev/null" as I start accessing it to get the whole file into page cache. This feels like a terrible hack, is there a better way to tell the OS that I want a whole file preloaded into page cache to better consolidate reads?

That's actually very clever, and obvious in hindsight. I'm embarassed I hadn't already thought of it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Twerk from Home posted:

If it's a really big file that might be slow. Maybe a C program that can mmap the file and then read one byte from each page would be better?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You could see if dd works better with different read sizes, but `cat` does exactly what you want so I think it’s a fine thing to do.

VostokProgram posted:

If it's a really big file that might be slow. Maybe a C program that can mmap the file and then read one byte from each page would be better?

Compared to network storage, the memcpy of the whole page will be noise I’m pretty sure.

With a C/Rust program you could maybe play `madvise` games to get the kernel to prefetch, but I doubt it would get the whole thing for you the way `cat` does.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I guess you could save a couple of keystrokes and run md5sum instead? Similar read pattern, and the actual md5 calculation should only barely rise above the background noise on a modern cpu.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

But it's got to pull the whole file over the network anyway, which is going to order(s) of magnitude slower than cat > /dev/null

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Oh, right, network. Cat oughta be fine then

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
dd with a large bs (say bs=1M) will issue far fewer syscalls than cat which might only read in 4k increments, but on a modern system the syscall overhead is pretty meh.

If you were doing direct I/O the large bs would also be beneficial on magnetic media to avoid extra seeks but this is going through the kernel's block cache voodoo anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

VostokProgram posted:

It looks like vmtouch does exactly that with
pre:
vmtouch -t FILENAME
https://hoytech.com/vmtouch/