Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The music in the BOTW presentation trailer was like 100x more badass than anything that actually made it into the game lmfao

Give me THAT kind of soundtrack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Khanstant posted:

music is just a pillar of the series, but they seem to have forgotten that and have been treating it as just an optional thing

I doubt it was forgotten with Breath of the Wild at the very least, and it seems more likely it was deliberately ignored. One of the main concepts behind Breath of the Wild seems to have been to forego the usual elements that created the rut the series had been retreading for 3D games ever since Ocarina of Time, and instead including only the most basic elements of the franchise and then building an entirely new frame on them. So it wasn't just musical instruments that got the boot, it was the familiar retread of accessories like the boomerang, hookshots etc. Some stuff did make it back in, but in a much different or reduced form. There were boomerang weapons, but they were just breakable pickups you found all over the place, there were bombs, but not tied to a bomb bag you had to upgrade over time and so on.

Personally, I'm okay with that. I loved the ocarina in Ocarina of Time, and the baton in Wind Waker was fun too but I don't need every game to feel obligated to include something similar just because it was something I enjoyed in the past and it's been added to a checklist of "must have" elements. Give me cool new things instead of obligatory variations on old things. I just hope the cycle doesn't repeat and Nintendo don't spend the next 20 years retreading Breath of the Wild before someone realizes "You know, we could do something...different instead?" It's great that they're expanding things a bit with a direct sequel, but I hope they're ready to move on and try something new again after that for the next system. They don't need to be as extreme in making it different, since it's only been 2 games doing the same thing over 6 years and not a half dozen over 20 years, but it'd still be nice to see them go "do we need climbing on everything? How about an open world? What can we do different now?"

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 11, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Khanstant posted:

music is just a pillar of the series, but they seem to have forgotten that and have been treating it as just an optional thing

yeah they totally forgot. that’s why they spent all that time making the soundtrack dynamically change based on whatever the player is doing, because they forgot that music was important

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hear ya, but end of the day I remember Zelda tunes from decades ago and can conjure adventure memories to go along with it, but when I think of BotW I can hear this one weird bird noise that sounds like techno noise stick out from the ambience, and maybe a few muffled snippets of generic study/chill YouTube piano playlists. I can think of adventures I had in BotW but they are muffled compared to like, hearing the Hyrule field theme your first time stepping out.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Augus posted:

yeah they totally forgot. that’s why they spent all that time making the soundtrack dynamically change based on whatever the player is doing, because they forgot that music was important

Making it good, impactful, and making the player feel the right emotions is important and I do not think BotW succeeded in that regard.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Khanstant posted:

Making it good, impactful, and making the player feel the right emotions is important and I do not think BotW succeeded in that regard.

it does make you feel the right emotions, you just wish it were trying to make you feel different emotions.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You're right. I should specify I don't think the soundtrack should make me feel bored or sleepy.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Augus posted:

both of these are already in BoTW :confused:

I'm just saying I want those to stay but be changed a little. Some of the same, but reworked.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Nothing wrong with being bored or sleepy, I just usually find them barriers to having fun in a videogame, since one is the opposite of fun, and the other is the body trying to not do anything like play a videogame.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you claim you don’t like music that makes you sleepy yet you like animal crossing music? cuz man those night time themes make me want to grab a pillow

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there is an insufficient level of jauntiness in the decaying ruins of this fallen kingdom imo

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Augus posted:

you claim you don’t like music that makes you sleepy yet you like animal crossing music? cuz man those night time themes make me want to grab a pillow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuA2azt8sU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Disagree. Tunic makes you feel like you're the LttP Link going up against Dark Souls bosses. You get this choppy sword swing, a great block, and fun projectiles. Siege Engine may be my favorite boss fight ever, it has a great curve from "this must be impossible" to "beat it using only one or two potions," and it looks way cooler than anything FromSoft has ever designed.

The dash could probably have a couple more i-frames, and the parry should be instantaneous, not longer than most enemy attack animation. Other than that I love it.

this does a better job at making the combat sound bad than any of the actual negative posts

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

The fact that there's mostly no music when bopping around the map got me extra hype when the Zelda theme hit during Kass telling the story of the hero.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I'm personally of the opinion that BotW has the best music in the series. It's so richly evocative of the feelings it's meant to make you feel. In particular, the Hebra theme just feels so cold. And it's not lacking in bombast, either; listen to the Hyrule Castle music and tell me it doesn't slap. Or the Molduga theme, or the Divine Beast themes. Even the shrine music puts you in a "it's time to put your thinking cap on" mood.

And the high twinkling piano at the start of guardian fights is genius, obvs.

Albatrossy_Rodent fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 11, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Augus posted:

there is an insufficient level of jauntiness in the decaying ruins of this fallen kingdom imo

I'd be annoyed if adventurers were traipsing around my ruins listening to sad study music performed by someone falling asleep on their keyboard with a piano synth open, instead of some sweet tunes of my people's, paying homage to us while you loot our dead culture and beat up our skeletons.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I'm gonna grab my guitar and follow khanstant around throughout the day and just play cute little somber melodies and see how mad they get

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
cute little somber melodies sounds delightfully like potentially classic zelda music. you're gonna need to play way slow to make gentle noise i refuse to lofi piano chill/relax/study to

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Destructable instruments when

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
hopefully Kass stumbles upon a Sheikah tape recorder and a handful of blank tapes. then he can make a bunch of mix tapes, hide them all over the place, and spend his days singing riddles hinting at their locations which drives everyone but Link insane

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/UjKqnk9.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/EHxS9w8.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/BCI9s4a.mp4

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

What. Huh!? Whaaa

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

khanstant screaming at the piano guy to play faster like JK Simmons in whiplash

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm really surprised how well that map works for Mario kart circuits, without any extra embellishments besides some ramps to help things flow. The parts where it goes underwater suddenly are a bit awkward or seem unclear, otherwise they could probably squeeze a few more tracks out of this. Zora's Domain could probably be a track combined with Jabu and the approach to Zora's. Lost woods and forest Temple might have the parts, maybe too sharp of turns, but even a detour using the Goron City shortcut with a loop to the bottom or out.

I think some Banjo levels could work this way too, if not Tooie with it's massive areas.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zelda II finally conquered as well! Also never really sat down and made it further than like the first area of the game before now.
This one wasn't nearly as breezy as the first game, though. It's more tiresome to explore the map when random encounters keep dragging you out and can be dicey to get into as well. Combat is interesting, seems influenced by games like Trojan where you have multi-height attack and defense, but it's janky in the hitboxes, hurtboxes, enemy movement, spawn patterns, projectile/enemy acceleration, etc. It's not the worst side-scrolling action on the NES but it's not Nintendo's finest, either. I did like the boss variety, though, very cool after wading through a million Ironknuckles. Especially those sword-throwing DIO-wannabes.
On the adventure side, things felt more cryptic than 1, bordering on Castlevania 2's infamous tips, but more than the things townspeople had to say, it was having to do things like mash the button in empty houses because of course the lady misplaced her mirror in an empty house under a table and there's no real indication that it's there. And what do you mean you haven't been hammering the forests all this time? Spun my wheels a lot more trying to figure out what to do and where, and the dungeons got pretty hard to map especially towards the end, what with all the pits and elevators and long passages after a fork and all.
It's done, though, and Zelda has been saved again. Again? The manual said that Zelda 1 happened and then Impa was all "hey Link c'mere I need to to check this out- we got an eternally sleeping Zelda and we just kept naming other girls Zelda afterwards because. Don't worry about the other Zelda, though."
I'm happy to have finally finished it, but I doubt I'm gonna replay it much, if ever, heh.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Do you really want the overworld theme blaring at all times in TOTK, Dragon Quest 11 did this and it made me lose my mind.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The simple solution is to just listen to a podcast or music of your own choice while you gently caress around in the overworld so that it's choice of music barely matters, and the general SFX are far more important.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If they added that music, it would be harder to hear the funny new Partner Commentary and running hint system from your tablet earpiece you get in the first shrine, it also gives you Zora-vision button helpfully highlighting nearby craft items and interactables

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Executing fi.exe.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I love the audio design and music in BOTW, but this video always cracks me up:

https://twitter.com/MonsterMazeYT/status/1380176962627440642

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BOTW's soundtrack is amazing when you're playing the game. It's the perfect mood for a large, bright and happy open world title.

That said, I never care to listen to it outside of the game because it's too sparse but maybe it would be great if you run a spa or something.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

sigher posted:

BOTW's soundtrack is amazing when you're playing the game. It's the perfect mood for a large, bright and happy open world title.

That said, I never care to listen to it outside of the game because it's too sparse but maybe it would be great if you run a spa or something.

This is exactly how I feel about it. Like I could listen to the ending credits of Windwaker every day for the rest of my life, by BOTW really only fits when I’m playing. But Hyrule Castle’s theme is the exception to this.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hyrule Castle and Rito Village are pretty much the only two I listen to on their own, love that Dragonroost remix.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
BotW would absolutely not have been improved with bombastic overworld themes. I'm imagining listening to like 2 hours straight of TP's Hyrule Field and that would make me lose my mind after 2 sessions. Ambient stuff that you can still recognize works way better with games like BotW or Xenoblade 3 compared to their predecessors because they fit the tone and atmosphere of the world.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
TotK should build on Kass and the Splatoon concept of all music being played live in universe and have bands everywhere. Every town with the city band. Every dungeon with a spooky skeleton band. Ganon's minions dooting horns during the final battle.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
tarrey town is the only one I listen to outside of the game. love the music while I'm playing it though

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I love the dragon music so much

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I'm not gonna rank all the soundtracks here, but I never liked the sounds of the MIDI era. The 8-bit chiptune slaps, the later orchestral stuff rocks. For some reason the MIDIs in Wind Waker actually sounded good before sounding fake and bad again in TP. Everyone loves praising the OoT score but imo it just sounds like someone loving around on a free sheet music program for a sec, like it's the shadow produced by the light of actually good music. If you're limited to digital music, lean into that imo, make sounds that sound synthetic instead of pretending you have an orchestra. Except Wind Waker, that sounds good and I don't know why.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Shiroc posted:

TotK should build on Kass and the Splatoon concept of all music being played live in universe and have bands everywhere. Every town with the city band. Every dungeon with a spooky skeleton band. Ganon's minions dooting horns during the final battle.

Every now and then as you ride through the countryside you run into a random big band, like in Blazing Saddles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

Every now and then as you ride through the countryside you run into a random big band, like in Blazing Saddles.

With TotK and these weird rigs Link is riding, it’s more likely to be like the Doof Warrior in Mad Max Fury Road. Just strapped to the front of a giant machine shredding away on a guitar.