Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Arrath posted:

Mine sweeping, one presumes based off of the employment of similar quipment.

E: oh motherfucker

Honestly the example one in the tweet image makes Renault FT and Whippet look like they are just a matter of time anymore. I mean, for the general equipment most of the WW1 firearms have already made their appearances in this war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Didn’t the tsars make some huge wheel tank thing?

Where are they keeping that at? Time to roll it out.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh I think I get it now, they're pulling out equipment so old that no one bothered to put it's profile into the Javelin CLU.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Considering this is a command variant with multiple radios and stuff I doubt it is for mine clearing, I think it is a HARM / HiMARS stock depletion device.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Valtonen posted:

Considering this is a command variant with multiple radios and stuff I doubt it is for mine clearing, I think it is a HARM / HiMARS stock depletion device.

In general I've only ever seen HIMARS being used to attack either artillery batteries/similar HVTs or columns of vehicles, as opposed to individual tanks or APCs of any description, when they aren't being used to strike concentrations of troops/equipment/supplies. There just aren't that many rockets to go around for that purpose.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
The killdozer would beat this in a head-to-head fight.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I'm pretty sure any apc out there could, or an m72, or a drunk farmer with a glock. Hell even a dragon.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Kopedozer

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Am I the only person who's confused about why Russia is still holding on to 70 year old equipment?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

psydude posted:

Am I the only person who's confused about why Russia is still holding on to 70 year old equipment?

They were unable sell that stuff away after USSR collapsed, so they are just throwing it at the enemy at this point since they don't have anything else left in their "'unending' vaults of soviet gear".

...And its not *that* crazy, FDF is also a hoarder and some of the stuff that served in WW2 was just recently (ie. less than 30 years ago) donated away or scrapped, most of the after-WW2 stuff besides vehicles and planes are still in the vaults as a backup for a backup for a backup.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

psydude posted:

cheaper to abandon it than inventory and destroy?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Probably a combination of inertia and lack of a reason to get rid of it. They clearly aren’t spending much on upkeep and maintenance, so why go through the trouble (and expense) of scrapping perfectly good rust collectors?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

You don't really hang on to 50 year old equipment. You hang on to 20-30 year old equipment, and then just never stop hanging onto it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

We still use the M577, and they aren't that much younger.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Madurai posted:

We still use the M577, and they aren't that much younger.

Yeah, but those get maintained. I would be shocked if even one out of every ten BTR-50s that Russia pulls out of the dustbin will turn over.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, but those get maintained. I would be shocked if even one out of every ten BTR-50s that Russia pulls out of the dustbin will turn over.

Out of every 10 they can maybe cannibalize a single one into working, maybe.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Well, this war has definitely shown that if your armory has the reserves to give a ww2/Korea-era machine gun and semiautomatics to the third line infantry and troops guarding the transit lines, you are beyond the capabilities of how Russian kits out their client states and militia.

Throw a couple of recoilless rifles from the 60's against armored cars and other vehicles without proper ERA to the more important staging areas, and you are better than well-off against Russia in the near future.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Murgos posted:

Didn’t the tsars make some huge wheel tank thing?

Where are they keeping that at? Time to roll it out.

As funny as seeing this go up against a Leopard 2 (or literally anything else in TYOOL 2023) would be, the only example ever built was dismantled for scrap a hundred years ago already after it failed to meet expectations during testing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Well, this war has definitely shown that if your armory has the reserves to give a ww2/Korea-era machine gun and semiautomatics to the third line infantry and troops guarding the transit lines, you are beyond the capabilities of how Russian kits out their client states and militia.

Throw a couple of recoilless rifles from the 60's against armored cars and other vehicles without proper ERA to the more important staging areas, and you are better than well-off against Russia in the near future.

The mashup of equipment on the Ukrainian side is always a beautiful thing to behold. You've got previous and current gen NATO tech alongside Maxim guns with rails and optic mounts on them, which they clearly had to have been storing fairly well for them to just come out of storage, get some picatinny welded onto them, and be deployed to the front lines with some spare red dots to great effect.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1635385999504330757

It feels noteworthy if members of the Serbian government are calling for sanctions on Russia. Haven't they pretty consistently taken Russia's side on most issues, and vice versa, so far? Presumably they're starting to see Russia as the wrong horse to bet on, but it'll be interesting to see if more traditional Russian allies eventually start following suit.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

the role is toilet

does no one else see the toilet paper?

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Slashrat posted:

As funny as seeing this go up against a Leopard 2 (or literally anything else in TYOOL 2023) would be, the only example ever built was dismantled for scrap a hundred years ago already after it failed to meet expectations during testing.
I was going to make a joke about a Russian Bob Semple as the next step until I realized that's just the Armata.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

When are the muskets going to be pulled out of storage? I wanna see musketeers vs. a tank, Civilization 1 & 2-style.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jimmy Smuts posted:

When are the muskets going to be pulled out of storage? I wanna see musketeers vs. a tank, Civilization 1 & 2-style.

Makhnallyskaya

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Jimmy Smuts posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northover_Projector

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/300829552/watch-kiwi-soldier-in-ukraine-saves-longlost-friend-he-thought-was-dead

Here's a hella rare feel-good story from the front lines. The moment they recognise each other is so loving great.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Saw this over in the spaceflight thread:

LRADIKAL posted:

https://twitter.com/revishvilig/status/1635343338344972288
What in tarnation? Russia isn't paying Kazakhstan and Kazakhstan took control of the facilities? This is where space mans launch from, right?

Putin getting behind on the bills?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh that is extremely interesting news. Baikonur has been an obvious vulnerability ever since the USSR collapsed, and my impression is that all Russian attempts to build a space port within their borders have fizzled out in much the same way as all their prestige projects.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What the actual gently caress?

If Russia can't keep hold of that equipment they are all but finished as a world power, right?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Any other sources?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Computer viking posted:

Oh that is extremely interesting news. Baikonur has been an obvious vulnerability ever since the USSR collapsed, and my impression is that all Russian attempts to build a space port within their borders have fizzled out in much the same way as all their prestige projects.

ISS is in the orbit it’s in due to where Baikonur sits. It’s at 51.6°, which is a pretty inclined orbit (especially launching from Canaveral).

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Checking in quickly with the ars technica forum thread, this has apparently been clarified to be the under construction systems for the upcoming Soyuz-5, not the active part of the launch site.

Ref https://mobile.twitter.com/RussianSpaceWeb/status/1635386687894462465

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I think the oldest, weirdest stuff got commited in Donetsk prior to this (part of the) war. Fuckin' 14.5mm anti-tank rifles, RGD-33 grenades, ancient pre-Shpagin D(Sh)Ks, PPS-43s, that poo poo was wild.

Still would not rule out some crazy old bastard rolling around with a Berdanka and a long, curved dagger.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Any other sources?

https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/space/kazakhstan-seizes-russian-assets-baikonur-spaceport

Still not a long list of convincing sources, but it is more than just "a dude with a tweet".

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1635461695006015488?t=VKOwlOfQMFHHnQODL2YbwA&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1635461699036749825?t=uPxZOpLbXMMjyGWS1xIPNQ&s=19

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Kazinsal posted:

Historically Russia uses a gently caress ton of decoys and a lot of those things are, if nothing else, fine to park semi-concealed on or near a base and hopefully soak up a strike or two. Aside from that, this war is proving that there are infinite uses for armored boxes on wheels that get people safely from A to B.

Tbh I'd love to hear more about contemporary Russian use of decoys, but for obvious reasons we hear very, very little about them.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 14, 2023

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Yeah I don’t know about that part.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
safely of course being a relative term... compared to something like this

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

I think the oldest, weirdest stuff got commited in Donetsk prior to this (part of the) war. Fuckin' 14.5mm anti-tank rifles, RGD-33 grenades, ancient pre-Shpagin D(Sh)Ks, PPS-43s, that poo poo was wild.

Still would not rule out some crazy old bastard rolling around with a Berdanka and a long, curved dagger.

One of those M1931 towed 8-inch howitzers with treads instead of wheels got rolled off a monument plinth and back into the shootin' war back then, I remember that story going by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
ty for the excuse to post that picture btw