Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Personally hoping Tesla fucks off forever as soon as possible now that competent car makers are making more electric cars.

Edit: I stand by this snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

you can take the worms out of the horse but you can't take the worms out of the brain

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

In less depressing current events, the tesla semis bought by pepsi are basically useless, can only tow loads of chips for a fraction of the claimed mileage, and there have been eight instances already of the trucks requiring a tow.

Idiots Tesla-splaining truck driving to truck drivers on twitter was pretty funny

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mirconium posted:

Postal office is buying 10k e-transits, so it's not all bad.

E-transits actually don't have amazing range because they had to shoe-horn a battery onto a frame that was made for other stuff, but still, that's some gasoline off the roads.

100 miles of range is probably way more than enough for most daily postal routes. I can see where it would be wholly inadequate for rural routes, but gas is still a thing for that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Tiny Timbs posted:

Idiots Tesla-splaining truck driving to truck drivers on twitter was pretty funny

:frogon:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

pmchem posted:

link FT article that is linking to SA?
https://www.ft.com/content/54e5258b-2871-41bc-a2c7-6c65026f6042
May be paywalled.

The link is to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150591&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

I really hope that leaves a market hole for competently made electric semis instead of poisoning the market.

There will be a role for diesel until 2075, but urban delivery is not one of them.

Diesel Electrics will probably make up the gap.

https://theintercept.com/2023/03/13/january-6-military-intelligence-hatchet-speed/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/TOrynski/status/1600968577246711808?s=20

Basically just take your pick from the replies, like Mr “Business & Finance Tech News / Science News / Space News / Science Technology / #btc / #Ð / FSD Beta Tester” here:

https://twitter.com/MMartinsbin/status/1601239252758843392?s=20

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Room for slippers?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

FrozenVent posted:

Room for slippers?

Doors on both sides?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
As someone who will never use this vehicle for it's stated purpose I think

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lightpole posted:

Covids a parasite, a Chinese government conspiracy, and Fauci is a liar

source your quotes

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

This is why you don’t let engineers anywhere near the production floor.

“Can’t we just weld floats to the side of the boat to make it carry more?”

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Meet Yvonne St Cyr.

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1635435722583814145

quote:

After she left court Friday after her conviction on each count, she fired up the Facebook app and went live on her husband's account.

"Three people on, wonder if they're all the prosecutors!" she commented on the handful of users who tuned in before she filled in her viewers about the outcome. "Guilty on all six counts, not surprised. Not shocked. Honestly, I knew that my justice was not going to come through their corrupt system. I have been advised not to talk about their corrupt system, but you know me! I'm not afraid of anything."

“God’s got my back, and I’m protected,” St Cyr said. So, she thought, did Tucker Carlson, the Fox News host who promoted former President Donald Trump while bashing him in his private text messages.

Sentencing is set for June 9, she told her small audience. "If we ever make it to sentencing. I think the truth will come before then, and their s---'s gonna blow up! So, just keep watching Tucker, keep spreading the truth, keep talking about the corruption, keep sharing, and we will bring the system doooooowwwwn."

---

As she told it on the stand, St Cyr’s radicalization started with the 2014 documentary "Fed Up," which focuses on “Big Sugar” and the impact of processed food on American health.

“If they aren’t telling us the truth about sugar, then what else are they hiding from us?” St Cyr asked on the stand. That’s when she “started researching for myself,” she said, adding that when Covid-19 came along, she believed health restrictions were more about control than about combatting the deadly virus.

“I researched and researched and researched,” St Cyr said. “I believe media is propaganda.”

Don't be Yvonne St Cyr. And especially don't get convicted of two felony counts of obstructing and interfering with law enforcement during a civil disorder (and four misdemeanors). Feeding your brain worms isn't worth that kind of gamble!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Midjack posted:

source your quotes

I did my own research obviously

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

Room for slippers?

I appreciate this due to all the times I've arrived on board and my wonderful union brothers and sisters never bothered to take off their boots when leaving the engine room and tracked oil all over the stateroom.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I'm actually kinda shocked diesel-electric cars aren't a thing already, what with how successful hybrids have been.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

You know who's worse than engineers? Naval architects.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

And the naval architects say this about the officers responsible for design requirements.

"This design isn't what you wanted, but it's what you asked for."

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

I notice you didn't answer the question!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I notice you didn't answer the question!

No, you can’t. You can’t weld floatie wings to this 30,000 ton bulk carrier to allow it to load more cargo.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I should have specified I meant real engineers, not engine operators.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

No, you can’t. You can’t weld floatie wings to this 30,000 ton bulk carrier to allow it to load more cargo.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

FrozenVent posted:

everyone always goes on about adding sails to reduce fuel consumption, but what about adding helium balloons to increase cargo capacity. just attach them to the gunwales.

bing bong so simple

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ya. no. like, gently caress no.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the gently caress?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Please no insulting the ginger bears

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah if they could read they’d get real upset.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Are those like gingerbeers?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

FrozenVent posted:

I think technically he breaks more than he operates.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I take offense to this *breaks thing not having considered the practical applications of his brilliant plan*

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Well now I want to see a cargo ship dropping enormous outriggers after getting out to sea. In theory wouldn't the extra stability let you load more since it would be ok for the ship to be lower in the water without risking capsizing?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Well now I want to see a cargo ship dropping enormous outriggers after getting out to sea. In theory wouldn't the extra stability let you load more since it would be ok for the ship to be lower in the water without risking capsizing?

Well first your main constraint on how much you can load is in port, because you’re likely to hit the bottom before you finish loading. If the port’s deep enough, the next limitation is the ship’s minimum freeboard, which yeah that’s a reserve buoyancy stability thing.

It’s not so much about capsizing though, it’s about how low you are in the water and what it would take for waves to swamp the boat and how quickly she’d sink if that happened. Generally, though, the more loaded you are the more stable you are so capsizing isn’t an issue. (Yes I know the above is oversimplified)

Strapping floaties to the side of the ship to load more makes no sense because a) they’d have to be a few thousand cubic meters big b) the straps would have to be able to withstand a few thousand tons of force to keep them on the ship c) the floatie would be between the ship and the dock so the load rig wouldn’t reach d) this is a highly regulated industry and inspectors don’t like it when you point out there’s no rules that say a dog can’t play basketball.

If you want to load more at the same draft, you have to make the ship bigger. It’s that simple.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Reject modernity.

Embrace sponsons.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I wonder what the WSJ thinks is the reason SVB went down...

https://twitter.com/bcmerchant/status/1635331043216736256

...oh.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1635640692641869828

It's a Trump attack ad that also tries to needle Durr Fuhrer into goading his idiot followers into attacking FOX. :perfect:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mr. Nice! posted:

...oh.

Yup, Desantis is on this tack too. It's horseshit, obviously but it'll work for the exact sort of brownshirt it's meant to appeal to. The WSJ's been a rag for a long rear end time anyway

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

...oh.

And the CEO was a super duper white guy.

Anyways,

Just another day in big brain investing:

https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1635639661031768067?t=Aj5Qd31rOzxf11WICoDCLw&s=19

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mr. Nice! posted:

...oh.

Veterans

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

...oh.

poo poo, they had a black? Talk about running a Burger King kid's club!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

They should have known better when they saw the Dodge Chargers pulling into the lot.