Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Have to redo an entire long flashpoint because the last mission was bugged and didn't trigger the end after all the objectives were complete. Honestly genuinely mad rn

Redid this today and it triggered properly. I made sure to get into close-ish range of each enemy lance as they appeared, before I started firing on them with my long range guns. I think killing a mech from a new lance prior to the objective appearing messed it up last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Redid this today and it triggered properly. I made sure to get into close-ish range of each enemy lance as they appeared, before I started firing on them with my long range guns. I think killing a mech from a new lance prior to the objective appearing messed it up last time.

Here are instructions for how to turn on the debug menus. The in-mission debug menu has a "complete mission" button which is the easy fix for a mission being bugged like that (or a stuck convoy). IIRC it properly gives you credit for completed objectives etc.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Been trying to install the Community Asset Bundle a few times but it keeps erroring out after about 10 minutes. The support link just points to the roguetech discord which wasn't helpful so does anyone have any clue what's going wrong? This is the tail end of the installer log file.

code:
INFO       (cacherepo           :updateRepo                    :198 ) Starting CAB-Tank Update
INFO       (cacherepo           :updateRepo                    :199 ) Using Cache: C:\Games\SteamGames\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\CAB\CaiCache\
INFO       (cacherepo           :updateRepo                    :200 ) Target: C:/Games/SteamGames/steamapps/common/BATTLETECH/Mods
INFO       (cacherepo           :getRepoPath                   :65  ) Cache Path Does not exist, creating
INFO       (cacherepo           :getRepo                       :79  ) CAB-Tank Cache is not initialized
CRITICAL   (bkprocessor         :_startCabupdate               :255 ) Unhandled Cab Update Exception:
CRITICAL   (bkprocessor         :_startCabupdate               :257 ) Traceback (most recent call last):
CRITICAL   (bkprocessor         :_startCabupdate               :257 )   File "libCabPatch\bkprocessor.py", line 253, in _startCabupdate
CRITICAL   (bkprocessor         :_startCabupdate               :257 )   File "libCabPatch\cabrepo.py", line 138, in updateRepo
CRITICAL   (bkprocessor         :_startCabupdate               :257 )   File "libCabPatch\cacherepo.py", line 202, in updateRepo
CRITICAL   (bkprocessor         :_startCabupdate               :257 )   File "libCabPatch\cacherepo.py", line 85, in getRepo
CRITICAL   (bkprocessor         :_startCabupdate               :257 )   File "pygit2\__init__.py", line 222, in clone_repository
CRITICAL   (bkprocessor         :_startCabupdate               :257 )   File "pygit2\callbacks.py", line 93, in check_error
CRITICAL   (bkprocessor         :_startCabupdate               :257 )   File "pygit2\errors.py", line 65, in check_error
CRITICAL   (bkprocessor         :_startCabupdate               :257 ) _pygit2.GitError: unrecoverable internal error: 'writer.open == 0'
CRITICAL   (bkprocessor         :_startCabupdate               :257 ) 

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Sherbert Hoover posted:

How do you guys build your Orion-Ks in BEX?

I like to give my Orions 4 Medium Lasers, an AC2 or 5, an LRM 15, and an SRM6. Heat Bank+++ to keep it cool.

Ammunition usually runs out quick for the LRM15, but by then I'm in close range so that doesn't matter much.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
That's too much mixed range for me. Are you trying to build a close range or long range build?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah it's best to go for weapons that cover roughly the same range. Maybe in MW5 where most fights are fairly close range, but even then that's a very eclectic mix.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
BTA 3062 Patch 15.3 is out

https://www.bta3062.com/index.php?title=Patch_Notes

It's another big one, does NOT break saves

- In patch 15.2, BTA introduced the SPAM subsystem that added various mercenary companies in the place of Local Gov or Mercenaries (as the faction). This made the world feel more alive and complex and demonstrated that there were other mercs out and about in the setting. Now, with 15.3, SPAM has been expanded. Now, SPAM has also added subfactions to all the Great Houses, as well as several other major factions. Now, when you drop into a fight against, say, the Draconis Combine you will face one of their various House regiments (in this case, you can face either the 1st Sword of Light, the 3rd Night Stalkers, or the 2nd Legion of Vega

- Additionally, the Solaris VII Mercenary League has been added. This faction can be faced in missions against Local Gov or Mercenaries like most mercenary companies and has two notable features. First, they use the arena-intended designs such as the Juggernaut or the Prometheus in combat (those designs have been removed from all other spawn lists outside the arenas). Second, they actually make use of the unique named hero gladiator mechs in open combat, though those are rare to see on the field. This provides a second way to acquire heroes, so go for it.

- This has been adjusted. Now, the Argo is more expensive by default and mechs are significantly more expensive to maintain (as they should be) while pilots are significantly cheaper.

- :siren::siren::siren::UPDATED FLASHPOINT MISSION: Defense: Panzyr has long been the hardest mission in BTA (the one with the god drat APCs). To adjust this somewhat, the APCs have been downgraded to Prowlers and their pilots have been nerfed fairly significantly. Defense: Panzyr should be a little less punishing now.

-Battle armor weapons have received a significant nerf. BA has been killing things a little too easily and quickly so was nerfed. All BA missile launchers (except the Heavy SRM 4 on the Grenadier and the BA Rocket Launcher 1) now only have 1 shot as they are supposed to (they had two shots as a way to encourage their use but they ended up being super powerful and needed to be scaled back). Most BA weapons also received a significant damage nerf, including most of the missiles, most/all of the gauss-style weapons, and a variety of other weapons such as the Clan lasers and the BA LBX

Goodbye my 480 dmg alpha strike Golem squad, I'll miss you. There's a lot more in there like new mechs, minor factions etc.

lagidnam fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 10, 2023

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
MW5 updated and the game unloaded all my mods. Is there anything I can do except wait until they're all patched?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ensign Expendable posted:

MW5 updated and the game unloaded all my mods. Is there anything I can do except wait until they're all patched?

Mod Options never really needs updating, YAML you can unsubscribe and resubscribe to fix it

I haven't used any others

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

lagidnam posted:

- :siren::siren::siren::UPDATED FLASHPOINT MISSION: Defense: Panzyr has long been the hardest mission in BTA (the one with the god drat APCs). To adjust this somewhat, the APCs have been downgraded to Prowlers and their pilots have been nerfed fairly significantly. Defense: Panzyr should be a little less punishing now.

oh loving finally, that mission was legitimately impossible in standard BTA. Now I can reinstall

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Kinda sad. I had finally figured out BA.

Better for the game though. It got to the point I was maneuvering Mechs to pull BA into play, instead of the other way around.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

BA needed the nerf. Some BA were lightly buffed if their weapon was terrible. SPAM is amazing.

Seriously, if you haven’t played BTA in a bit, try this out. The factions keep score and trash talk. It’s great.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

If it doesn’t break saves I’ll be patching it up tomorrow probably

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It doesn't. I patched and kept right on rolling. Still haven't finished the second Mechbay.

The ban on added MASC with Omnis is bugged. I've got a Black Lanner B it says is illegal, even though it has integral MASC and that's supposed to be kosher.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm the single tank in a barn sitting hidden under a dropship picking up the lance that just annihilated an entire region, my hand on the throttle and my commander saying, hit bro we got this

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm the single tank in a barn sitting hidden under a dropship picking up the lance that just annihilated an entire region, my hand on the throttle and my commander saying, hit bro we got this

To be fair, if you’re in a Devastator you just might

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm a member of the two platoons of rifle infantry hiding in a building when the platoon lieutenant yells "OKAY AMBUSH TIME" and tells us to open fire on an entire mixed company of mechs and tanks.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

tactlessbastard posted:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Yeah I guess that is an obvious joke, heh. I'm really enjoying MW5 but I'm getting tickled by the small things, like helicopters willing to go out on suicide missions, oil derricks pumping away on asteroids, combine harvesters parked on less than an acre of cropland.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

tactlessbastard posted:

Yeah I guess that is an obvious joke, heh. I'm really enjoying MW5 but I'm getting tickled by the small things, like helicopters willing to go out on suicide missions, oil derricks pumping away on asteroids, combine harvesters parked on less than an acre of cropland.

The inexplicable urban core in the middle of nowhere always makes me lol

Especially the pirate urban cores

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Hah yeah that too, I think the map dudes have never left their cubicles lol.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

You mean that 99% of bases and cities aren't 500 meter wide perfectly squared off collections of buildings with no suburbs or road connections plopped in the middle of absolutely loving nowhere?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
I love when you get urban destruction, but against pirates. You keep getting the running narrative from the pirate about what you destroyed.

They got our business centers!
They just destroyed a car park!
THEY GOT OUR LOFT HOUSING!!!!

Like, what kind of pirates are you?!?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Most pirates in BattleTech are just people from the neighboring planetary system who had to "borrow" a DropShip full of water or food from their neighbors once.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

You know how Battletech has the "local government"? It's that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SovCit 3062 looking good.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

I mean pirate kingdoms like the Tortuga Dominions have cities.

Not "good" cities mind you, but still.

Private Speech posted:

You know how Battletech has the "local government"? It's that.

Spoken like a true Dragon. :v:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Dalaram posted:

I love when you get urban destruction, but against pirates. You keep getting the running narrative from the pirate about what you destroyed.

They got our business centers!
They just destroyed a car park!
THEY GOT OUR LOFT HOUSING!!!!

Like, what kind of pirates are you?!?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Kanos posted:

I'm legitimately curious how you're dealing with the (surprisingly common!) 15+ enemy unit clusterfuck missions with only 4 mechs.
They probably aren't facing them at all. Mission Control module tries to somewhat balance out the difficulty based on what you send in. Come in with a pair of Steiner Scout Lance's, a lance of Artillery support, and another of four squads of Doomslayer wannabes and MC will retaliate by dropping 3+ bonus reinforcements on top of what mission normally sends. Go with just 4 mechs and it'll be just the usual 2 to 1 odds.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Malek Deneith posted:

They probably aren't facing them at all. Mission Control module tries to somewhat balance out the difficulty based on what you send in. Come in with a pair of Steiner Scout Lance's, a lance of Artillery support, and another of four squads of Doomslayer wannabes and MC will retaliate by dropping 3+ bonus reinforcements on top of what mission normally sends. Go with just 4 mechs and it'll be just the usual 2 to 1 odds.

As you go up in skulls it increases the chances for a third lance too, but by then you're probably in mechs that can one-shot things

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Actually BTA doesn't actually have drop weight influence on bonus lances from Mission Control unless you've tweaked it yourself, just the individual chances based on the skull level. (like a half skull to two being maybe one can show up, while 4-5 skulls are when you get the 3 lance shitfests.)

BEX does have that drop weight option on though, but that keeps any reinforcements to just one lance only unless you're allied against that particular faction, then it might be kicked up to two.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh, I got the mods mixed up lol

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Been thinking of getting back into this game - i played through the sandbox mode and got kinda bored of the slog a while back, but the itch returns.

Are there standard/must have mods that are recommended? I played it all vanilla but I'm intimidated by the modding options available.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

JosefStalinator posted:

Been thinking of getting back into this game - i played through the sandbox mode and got kinda bored of the slog a while back, but the itch returns.

Are there standard/must have mods that are recommended? I played it all vanilla but I'm intimidated by the modding options available.

Klyith posted:

There are many recommended mods, depending on what you like & want. There are the big 3 mega-mods, BEX BTA and RogueTech, which in that order have increasing amounts of stuff & increasing deviation from vanilla gameplay.

Or you can roll your own and stick with mostly-vanilla with some QOL & balance mods. Some that I highly recommend:
BetterAI - enemies are more aggressive & can reserve
BTML Color LOS Mod - make targeting lines give more information
BTRandomMechComponentUpgrader - enemies can get + weapons
BT Simple Mech Assembly - Yang can glue mech parts from variants together
Headshot Weapon Limit - Nerf called headshots by limiting how many weapons can shoot
MechMaintenanceByCost - a Locust costs less for upkeep than an Atlas

A mod I made: SLDF Incoming - SLDF mechs can show up in battles in the hands of ace pilots

If you don't want to get into making your own modlist, Battletech Extended is the mega-mod that's more vanilla like. Also the other two are more of a slog at the start than vanilla -- they change the game to a more TTG-like balance where crap pilots and crap mechs are really crap.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Assuming you're talking about BT not MW5 then there are 3 big mods. If you look back in my post history I posted an AI-genrerated summary of them.

I don't think RT or BTA are that bad, sure it's more grindy but there's also a lot more content to go through.

Both have a lot of exclusive content not in the smaller mods.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 15, 2023

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

If you don't want to get into making your own modlist, Battletech Extended is the mega-mod that's more vanilla like. Also the other two are more of a slog at the start than vanilla -- they change the game to a more TTG-like balance where crap pilots and crap mechs are really crap.

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for, forgive me if it was somewhere near the OP and I just missed it :). I'll read up on each one now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The simplest way to describe the three big HBS BT overhauls is that BEX is the simplest and most vanilla-expanded style experience, Roguetech is the insane psycho brain everything and the kitchen sink mod that adds ten gazillion custom mechs and wacky equipment and weapons and a load of new and altered game systems, and BTA 3062 is basically the midpoint; it's a lot more involved than BEX but stops well short of the full on crazy of Roguetech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

JosefStalinator posted:

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for, forgive me if it was somewhere near the OP and I just missed it :). I'll read up on each one now.

My suggestion with all the big mega mods is to play with the most generous possible salvage/money rewards, since the tactical game is so amped up vs the strategic portion compared to vanilla. Max generosity in the money department will let you enjoy all the new toys without feeling too frustrated, because the difficulty in all the mods is generally much higher than vanilla.

I am a BTA3062 fan myself personally, just because it's my favorite era of the game tech wise.